• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix 2 |OT| The lost levels.

AniHawk

how in the hell are you guys cracking well over a million? does the game let you go beyond the high score listed for dr mario?

I can't stop playing this game. I know it's not even that much different but it's clicking with me a lot more than the first one did. I'm a slave to my addiction. Except Wario's Woods. Fuck that noise.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well did SMB3 challenged today. I guess because I'm so used to it is was quite easy to rainbow. Points for rainbow with x2 bonus makes getting stamps so easy. Sometimes I'd get enough for two from one challenge! Already at 80 and I've only cleared two games and ten remixes. Though if it is like the first one this is when I'll start needing more points per stamp.

Tregard

Soothsayer
It's a shame they couldn't get Tetris and Rad Racer for a proper Nintendo World Championship challenge, but the championship stuff still looks cool.

Robin64

The last ten stamps are needing a bit of a grind to get.

All I have left is Wario's Woods (which is a fucking shit game) and some rainbows for other stages.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, still haven't touched 5 games nor unlocked the bonus stages, yet 75 stamps unlocked. Really helps this time around the x2 is for games I haven't played yet & more points for rainbow ranks, not to mention it was available right from the start compared to only appearing about 1/2 way through getting all the stars). Heck, half the time I'd unlock two stamps at once from all the points I'd get.

It also feels a bit weird playing the NES version of Wario's Woods when I grew up playing the SNES version.

AEREC

Damn...NES games are rough. Didn't realize they had all these graphical glitches back in the day because I was a kid and didn't care. But now the the vertical space on the left side of smb3 and Kirby drive me absolutely nuts. It's like the equivalent of screen tearing today.

Robin64

Damn...NES games are rough. Didn't realize they had all these graphical glitches back in the day because I was a kid and didn't care. But now the the vertical space on the left side of smb3 and Kirby drive me absolutely nuts. It's like the equivalent of screen tearing today.

You probably never saw it back in the day either thanks to overscan. Most people have TVs that wouldn't display that part of the screen, at least not without some tweaking of the innards of your telly.

Robin64

Hmm. Every game done, 460 stars, 60000 bits. But still missing something.
Guess I need to 3-star everything.
FUCK YOU WARIO'S WOODS

XaosWolf

Bit late to the party with this now! (so many games coming out suddenly)
Looking forward to playing one of my favourite puzzle games: Wario's Woo--
Wario's Woods is just a handful of wet shart.

What a thundering fucking TURD Wario's Woods is.

Except Wario's Woods. Fuck that noise.

Wario's Woods (which is a fucking shit game)

D=

...Is it just the challenges that are bad?
All this hate for WW wounds me so.

I can't get enough of the character/stage crossover stages. They really need to make a full downloadable title in the vein of Super Mario Crossover - I would buy it in an instant.

Bit late to the party with this now! (so many games coming out suddenly)
Looking forward to playing one of my favourite puzzle games: Wario's Woo--

D=

...Is it just the challenges that are bad?
All this hate for WW wounds me so.

I liked Wario's Woods too when it came out, it was pretty fun doing the challenges/story mode or whatever it called it. Versus was pretty fun as well, especially when my NES started to get that weird glitch where the graphics mess up (weird artifacts) and colors go to hell. Guess that was preparing me for NES REMIX 2 or something, haha. I'm assuming it has 'challenges' like that in NES REMIX 2 at least, I haven't gotten around to playing the game yet.

Kinsei

Banned
I've rainbow'd Dr. Mario, Wario's Woods, Remix II, and every bonus stage I've unlocked. Wario's Woods is quite fun, not sure why so many here seem to hate it. Hell, it's a masterpiece compared to the piece of shit that is
Hockey

zroid

Banned
I think I'm getting the hang of Wario's Woods now. It's quite good.

I am really a puzzle game junkie though.

edit: aaand rainbowed :)

maxcriden

I haven't played any of the NES Remix games; most people seem to prefer the 2nd game, right?

It's probably a bit too soon after release for any real consensus yet. My feeling so far is that both are fun in different ways. The original I think has games that are decidedly less modern feeling but that might lend themselves a bit more intuitively to the kinds of challenges on display in these games. The sequel has games that are more smooth and modern but the challenges feel more like a bite-size part of the game than a unique challenge, in more cases compared to the first game at least. They're both extremely fun, though!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It's probably a bit too soon after release for any real consensus yet. My feeling so far is that both are fun in different ways. The original I think has games that are decidedly less modern feeling but that might lend themselves a bit more intuitively to the kinds of challenges on display in these games. The sequel has games that are more smooth and modern but the challenges feel more like a bite-size part of the game than a unique challenge, in more cases compared to the first game at least. They're both extremely fun, though!
This is a pretty good assessment.

Honestly, even though the featured games in NES Remix 2 are more appealing, I think NES Remix 1 is a better purchase. NES Remix 1 adds structure and challenge to a set of games with very basic, pick-up-and-play appeal that don't warrant more than half an hour of play or so on their own to begin with, while with NES Remix 2, you're basically just getting a tease for games you'd rather sit down and play all the way through but can't.

NSMBU's Challenge Mode, which this series seems to be kind of based in, is a more compelling experience as well. I was pretty disappointed by the selection of challenges for Lost Levels in NES Remix 2.

zroid

Banned
This is a pretty good assessment.

Honestly, even though the featured games in NES Remix 2 are more appealing, I think NES Remix 1 is a better purchase. NES Remix 1 adds structure and challenge to a set of games with very basic, pick-up-and-play appeal that don't warrant more than half an hour of play or so on their own to begin with, while with NES Remix 2, you're basically just getting a tease for games you'd rather sit down and play all the way through but can't.

Yep, that's totally the brilliance of NES Remix 1. Makes you appreciate and even enjoy many games which you normally wouldn't want to play at all. NES Remix 2 is still fun though, maybe even moreso, but I can see where you're coming from by saying the first one is a "better purchase".

Sixfortyfive

Basically I'd rather just play Lost Levels or SMB3 than NES Remix 2.

With NES Remix 1, I ended up enjoying things like Clu Clu Land and even Tennis by the end of their sets of challenges once I had a grip on how to play them properly, but I have no desire to buy those individual games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I just thought Remix 1 did a better job at portraying the different games. Compare Zelda and Zelda II for example. After the challenges in Zelda I felt like I completed the whole game, which was pretty nice, but after the Zelda II challenges it didn't really seem like you saw anything of the game.

Sixfortyfive

I just thought Remix 1 did a better job at portraying the different games. Compare Zelda and Zelda II for example. After the challenges in Zelda I felt like I completed the whole game, which was pretty nice, but after the Zelda II challenges it didn't really seem like you saw anything of the game.
It just seems like they're more deliberately using it to push the Virtual Console this time around.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It just seems like they're more deliberately using it to push the Virtual Console this time around.

Maybe, I'm not sure they're doing a better job at it, though. Of course, this time I had already bought a lot more of the games featured, but for the ones I hadn't (Wario's Woods, NES Tournament Golf, Ice Hockey, SMB2) my interest in buying them decreased.

But I don't want to sound too negative, I really enjoyed them both and complaining too much makes it seem like I didn't.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I agree. Basically Nes Remix 1 is the perfect way to experience all the older NES titles.

I mean the big difference is that in 1 you'd often play the same stage with a different rule set. In 2 the games are so much bigger so you'll likely not see the same level twice.

yeah well this is my first time experiencing warios woods, i don't hate it yet but im struggling and have since quit but will give it another shot later on

nes remix stars are like crack i can't/won't stop no matter what

zroid

Banned
yeah well this is my first time experiencing warios woods, i don't hate it yet but im struggling and have since quit but will give it another shot later on

nes remix stars are like crack i can't/won't stop no matter what

it's a weird game but it's fun once the mechanics click and you start figuring out how to manipulate objects efficiently

it's a weird game but it's fun once the mechanics click and you start figuring out how to manipulate objects efficiently

yeh i'll work it out properly when i have more time later no doubt, massive fan of these remix games so far and it's perfect for off tv play (my tv is a sports junkie) too which is starting to really drive home it's worth in my household

zroid

Banned
yeh i'll work it out properly when i have more time later no doubt, massive fan of these remix games so far and it's perfect for off tv play (my tv is a sports junkie) too which is starting to really drive home it's worth in my household

lol same here, been playing NES Remix 2 while watching the NHL playoffs :p

terrisus

From last night:

zlCfzR2ajmQXUSzrC-

Megatron

I can't stop playing this game. I know it's not even that much different but it's clicking with me a lot more than the first one did. I'm a slave to my addiction. Except Wario's Woods. Fuck that noise.

It's covering much better games than the first one did. I understand completely and I too am spending much more time with this one.

terrisus

Also, Super Luigi Bros. is messing with my mind.
Trying to fight against nearly 30 years worth of muscle memory for playing through this game the regular way.

I did make it up to 8-1 last night, but was too tired for my brain to try to process it. I'll try it more today.
I'm honestly not sure I'll play it anymore after I beat it though... It just feels... Wrong...

culafia

I've 3-starred everything. Here are some personal pros and cons:

+Better game selection than NES Remix (though it doesn't actually make the game that much better. I think. Challenge design is far more important)
+Better remixes that have more crossovers and more creative twists on levels
+Regular challenges have gotten a bit more creative
+Having certain levels where hearts are taken away and replaced with a timer is a clever idea

-Less actual level content (36 fewer challenges)
-Formula is starting to wear a bit thin
-Games aren't explored nearly enough (Punch-Out!! is criminally underused, as are SMB2, Zelda 2, and select others)
-A bit easier overall than the original (I only 3* and don't worry about rainbowing, but I played both games the same way. No level really got that punishing in the same way the original mushroom endurance run did)

Favorite game challenges:
Lost Levels
Least favorite game challenges:
Dr. Mario
Favorite Remixes:
The Peach v. Bowser 7-8 round endurance run and the Metroid runner levels

Kinsei

Banned
I finished Zelda II and Punch-Out!! with all rainbow stars. Their challenges were pretty disappointing, hopefully it's not indicative of all the unlockable games challenges. I'll be very disappointed if Metroid doesn't have good challenges.

bumpkin

how in the hell are you guys cracking well over a million? does the game let you go beyond the high score listed for dr mario?
I was wondering the same thing. My best so far was just over 860k. Not really sure how I could possibly inflate my score more.

zroid

Banned
I was wondering the same thing. My best so far was just over 860k. Not really sure how I could possibly inflate my score more.

It's all about Dr. Mario. Gotta go fast.

By the way, just wondering how does everyone else approach the SMB 50 coin leg of the race? I have been going through the pipe leading to the secret room, then dying at the next goomba. Then I beat the stage, collecting some of the coins along the way, and finally wrapping it up in the early section of 1-2.

Richie

Okey, now that I've gotten the game (SO. GOOD.) I can understand the complaints toward one of my favorite NES games, Wario's Woods. I think Remix 2 does this overlooked gem a disservice; the learning curve is basically nonexistant. I have a blast whenever I play Woods on its own, but if Remix 2 had been my introduction to the game, you couldn't have paid me to take a second glance at it. This ain't nostalgia speaking, for I only started playing the game seriously a couple months ago, when Club Nintendo offered it as a reward, and I snatched it for a Wii U upgrade. A shame many are bound to be put off what's a classic puzzle because of a butchered presentation here; do give it a chance on its own if you can.

So far that's my only complaint with the game, though. I've had such a great time with everything else. Special mention goes to Dr. Mario, which has never done much for me, but with the Remix treatment, it became addictive as could be, to the point where I lament there weren't more challenges prepared for it. My first Rainbow'd game, followed shortly by Punch-Out!!...Which is hilariously watered down if you've played the original, but I guess they didn't want to spoil potential buyers...funny, considering they spoil pretty much every other game so far.

terrisus

I didn't check at the time, but I'm pretty sure you get an extra bonus for going over the high score on Dr. Mario, it's not a simple straight line with points.

rpmurphy

Miiverse integration for this is nice, especially with the addition of replay data. Two gripes though: I can't tell which posts are from my friends list, and it still would be nice to have leaderboards per challenge.

Neff

So fucking agree. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet, but everything else is a joy, whereas Wario's Woods just fucking pisses me off.

terrisus

How can people not love Wario's Woods?

It was the best of the games that were directly obtainable in-game (that is, not from Nintendo's give-aways or AR codes or such) in Animal Crossing for GCN.
Sorry, Super Tortimer

Plus, it was also the last officially-released NES game in the US, and the only NES game with an ESRB rating.

Kinsei

Banned
I got every Rainbow star in the game, woohoo!

Tomorrow I'm going to play through Super Luigi Bros. Does it have a harder second playthrough like regular SMB?

Top Bottom