• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

Penguin

Announced during today's Nintendo Direct, NES Remix is what the name implies, a collection of NES games remixed to offer up new challenges and unique spins on familiar classics.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0111ftg.jpg

The Games
46waIQK.png

What is the Game?

This was a bit unclear during the Nintendo Direct, but based on first impressions and the website this game is a combination of the challenge modes from New Super Mario Bros U and WarioWare-esque spins on classic games.

What Does that Means?

The game offers two different spins on the 16 included titles.

The first NES Stages allows players to go through classic stages with a specific goal in mind. Getting 10 1-ups in a row in Super Mario Bros or defeating a room of Zelda enemies without being touched.

The second Remxied Stages puts a new spin on these classic games with stuff like Link appearing in the original Donkey Kong game or having to complete a familiar Mario stage by going right to left.

Not only that, but there seems to be some graphical twists as well, some stages would have you complete it in black and white or shadows or pixelated graphics. It seems like each game will feature a variety of challenges for this as well.

What Else is New?

In addition to these two modes of play, the game supports Miiverse in multiple ways.
First, as introduced in Super Mario 3D World, this game has stamps you can use in included posts.
Second, it allows you to post your high scores and completion on Miiverse. A little friendly competition never hurt anyone.
Finally, the Remix stages seem to offer improved/cleaned up graphics for a lot of games. Nothing earth-shattering, but nice looking

Release Information
The game released today, December 18th on the eShop (Wii U Only) and goes for $15 here in North America.

http://nesremix.nintendo.com/

Visit the site for more information!

Best OT title

Game is really fun, and pretty challenging

I barely scratched the surface of this game, but it hope we get a volume 2 at some point

HUELEN10

What controllers does it support? I am still on the fence, but expect to be swayed by the end of the day.

I just one someone to confirm that the games look good on a TV, as opposed to that god-awful NES VC Wii U filter. (Not saying these are just modded VC games mind you, but Luigi Bros. made me sad)

batbeg

Hahaha fantastic title!

People, this game is awesome. Disregard your preconceived notions of it being a bland lame cashin and actually watch a trailer or something.

Rocky

Banned
So is the the Original DK the one with the missing level or is it the recently updated version with the "pie factory" back in?

Kouriozan

My progress so far :
zlCfzRQogi8g7ZnIuN

This game is fun!
Remix 1 stage 3 is kicking my ass, for now ;)
Got it for 4,99€ thanks to the Nintendo Premium Network promo.

RaidenZR

What controllers does it support? I am still on the fence, but expect to be swayed by the end of the day.

I just one someone to confirm that the games look good on a TV, as opposed to that god-awful NES VC Wii U filter. (Not saying these are just modded VC games mind you, but Luigi Bros. made me sad)

It's not a "filter", its just shitty job in emulation and representation. It's so disappointing how the NES VC titles look versus SNES VC titles when gauging the output on the WiiU. NES games are dim, fuzzy, and muted to hell. It's like they just didn't give any fucks. A complete night and day difference when you compare something like Balloon Fight to F-Zero on the WiiU...

I have been trying desperately to do my part by sending them feedback in the Club Nintendo surveys but they probably don't read that shit.

It's weird, when I first read about this quickly on my phone whilst waiting for my egg sandwich, I just assumed this place would love it. That has...not been the case thus far.

batbeg

Yes, I did it!
Getting the shiny stars will be impossible >.<

I've got those a couple of times, what's up with that? I feel like I've done a few perfect runs and got them, and then sometimes I've died on my way and still ended up with them.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is rather fun. Basically the 9-Volt/NES mini-games from WarioWare expanded upon. Really dig unlocking more levels & Miiverse stamps. Would love to see this expanded upon with either DLC, 3rd party games, &/or a SNES Remix.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sounds pretty cool, but what... is it?

It seems like it's a WarioWare-style mash-up of games, but can I just play through a game normally if I choose?

Edit: looks like it's just a WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven sorta thing. But after watching the longer trailer, this actually looks kinda awesome. Buying it.

Cody_D165

Banned
Man I really wish I wasn't so broke; between the 3DS eShop having Sega 3D Classics and the Wii U eShop getting this and Dr. Luigi, there are a lot of downloadable titles I want D:

Thank you for the real thread and not that piece of shit other OP.

This looks fantastic, can't wait to pick it up. So what is up with the leaderboards? Seems it is just miiverse? Are there ranks?

Joqu

Surprised this got so much hate at its announcement, it's not like they are releasing this as a retail game. This is Nintendo supporting their eshop, not everything has to save the Wii U.

Anyway, it looks like it's a lot of fun, I can't wait to pick it up... as soon as I've got money. :p

Mumford

This looks cool, but I dunno about this for $15. It'd be different if I could play through the entire games but I don't think that's the case.

beril

heh it took me 5 tries before I noticed that mario was running automatically on Remix 3. was wondering what was actually different from regular mario

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been playing for the past hour and adore it.

Exactly what I always hoped 9-Volt's section of Wario Ware would expand into but never did. Most of the early challenges from each NES game are mere basic tutorial challenges introducing the major mechanics of the core game, but they soon evolve into intense timed challenges that throw you right into the fire.

The remix challenges really tweak the visual presentation and add unique twists defying expectations from the games(occasionally mashing them), successfully celebrating the catalog and providing a whole new experience that could easily turn into a franchise platform with DLC.

It's proper micro-game fun without the banality.

Top Bottom