• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

maxcriden

Bought it yesterday and loving it!

Glad to hear it! What are your faves/least faves so far? Have you played many of the original games the remixes are based on?

It was more of a chore than an enjoyment to get all rainbow stars. Most of the challenges boil down to play the game, and there is nothing "remixed" about the level you are playing. Most of the time there is only one specific way to beat the level fast enough to get rainbow stars, sometimes it is really obvious but others you just have to keep replaying until you figure it out. NES Remix 2 looks much more fun.

Yeah, I'd agree that NES Remix 2 is definitely based on some more inherently exciting games. I'm definitely eager to see what they come up with. And the included Super Luigi Bros. looks like a lot of fun.

maxcriden

I was working on SMB stage 20 or something last night. Brutal, for some reason I couldn't get it done at all. This is the one where you have to beat Bowser with fireballs to reveal the imposters. Without getting hit by his flames. And not have much room to maneuever. Ugh. I know I'll beat it, but for some reason I was finding it really maddening last night....

Piccoro

Hey guys, I'm buying this today for my little brother and niece. Could you tell me what's the price here in EU? 10€ or 15€? Thanks.

Penguin

About a week until the sequel is out.

Or the 2nd one or whatever

What do we want to see in the OT?
If we're doing a second one

I picked up NES Remix this week as my Club Nintendo gift, and I know I'm far from alone in this, so I might as well revive this thread. After a handful of sessions I've completed every stage with three stars apart from the last one, Bonus 25, which I still haven't completed without resuming midway. (What a spectacular way to finish, by the way—a test of consistency in the same spirit as the final Mystery House in Super Mario 3D World.) With this out of the way, some observations:

- The ADD structure of this game really scratches the ambiguous itch to play the NES—the system, the catalogue—without a specific idea in mind of what it is you want to sit through on a given day. It's the perfect remedy for the boredom and indecision that comes from the paralysis of choice (i.e. wanting to play an 8-bit classic while not feeling especially keen to commit to a single game in particular). I actually grew up with most of the early NES titles on a bootleg compilation cart, so NES Remix was unexpectedly nostalgic in form and pacing and not just in content. In the end it seemed to provide a lot more value than purchasing these games individually and feeling deflated about how small they look now.

- Putting so many NES classics in the same place truly underlines what a towering masterpiece Super Mario Bros. was in its own time—huge, varied, polished, mechanically crisp, head and shoulders above everything else around it. It has aged so remarkably well. The silhouette filter from Donkey Kong Country Returns surprised me with how well it fit the stages.

- I love how so many of the challenges are calculated to train you in the finer mechanics of the original games, encouraging the discovery and refinement of speed-run tricks. I used to spend so much time designing tracks in Excitebike and I still came away from its associated challenges with the impression that I never really understood the game at all. NES Remix doesn't just evoke the included games; it teaches them.

- The subtle gradients, background textures, and drop shadows in the remix stages added a vivid pop and colour to the original games. I wouldn't have wanted to see them everywhere, but they supplied a degree of liveliness that never detracted from the authenticity of the NES emulation, and indeed made the sprite art stand out all the better.

- From the way the game was advertised I was expecting more mash-ups of the included titles, or at least more compilation challenges stringing assorted games/remixes in succession à la WarioWare. I can appreciate why so many of the remix stages stood alone instead of mixing and matching, as the element of chance inherent in several of the games would be a frustration when trying to obtain three stars; I can also see why the time-dependent three-star format imposes a certain determinism to the stage order as opposed to embracing WarioWare's demands on quick thinking and improvisation. This still seems like a missed opportunity.

- I didn't remember Mario Bros. (non-Super) to be quite so clunky, but most of my experience with it would have been from its inclusion in SMB3 and other later games, and I never realized until now that in later releases the physics must have been tightened somewhat. Mario Bros. and Ice Climber posed the most gruelling challenges of the whole set, in part because their juxtaposition with SMB made it all too conspicuous that the early games hadn't really figured out what we now expect from a platformer in terms of aerial momentum. In Ice Climber you have to clip the blocks so tightly just to get from one level to the next.

- Of the main selection, the two games I had never originally played on the NES were Wrecking Crew and Clu Clu Land. Judging from the Miiverse posts I came across, Clu Clu Land is not exactly well liked because of its unconventional frustrations, but for me it came as a glorious surprise. It initially seems difficult to handle since you swing and bounce around so quickly that there isn't much opportunity to learn the controls on the fly, but once I mastered the concept behind the movement in the game I found its challenges among the fairest and most reliable. An unfortunate number of the minigames in NES Remix are built on games that occasionally screw the player with events that are either random or not clearly flagged (barrels falling earlier than expected in Donkey Kong, or the AI opponent missing an easy swing in Tennis when you are trying to sustain a rally), but Clu Clu Land is not one of them: it rewards smart route planning and the composure to recover from mistakes. Once I learnt the controls it became apparent that errors were mine and mine alone (unlike Mario Bros. and Ice Climber, which in modern hands have serious problems with responsiveness).

- As much as I like this game I'm not going to bother finishing all the rainbow stars, at least not now. I have my limits. Three stars on the more finicky stages made for an appropriate level of challenge that I am content to set aside for good.

daydream

Banned
Finished (aka three-star'd) the last goddamn challenge today, took me several hours. My live reactions when I beat it on the last heart (chatlog with another GAFfer):

daydream: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
daydream: dasfawesifadoäuaerä#foer#
daydream: gaerdg
daydream: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
daydream: FUCK YES
daydream: i'm shaking right now lol
daydream: did a near perfect run
daydream: screwed up in a stupid way twice
daydream: but went in with four out of 6 hearts into the final challenge
daydream: lost three hearts
daydream: but on the last heart i lost, i saw my entry
daydream: because the two hammer bros basically create a wall of hammers, naturally
daydream: you have to find the opening
daydream: they jump up and down on 3 levels of blocks, well, ground and two lines of blocks
daydream: so yeah, found that opening
daydream: killed one
daydream: forgot that the top one dropped all the way down so i died
daydream: next time, i just avoided that one
daydream: stood right next to him
daydream: like one block length
daydream: which was nerve wrecking
daydream: but it's the safest way to dodge the hammers, otherwise you're kinda cornered
daydream: he jumped up, i %&§$§" that motherfucker
daydream: got my mushroom
daydream: three stars
daydream: olé
GAFbuddy: 10/10

I'd gotten to 44 several times prior to that but choked. Glad I can finally put that game aside, phew. Wasn't a fan of the final challenge, at all. I basically was going through the motions up to screen 37 or so which was just tedious. Only the final parts were actually challenging. Still very much loved the game, though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finished (aka three-star'd) the last goddamn challenge today, took me several hours. My live reactions when I beat it on the last heart (chatlog with another GAFfer):

I'd gotten to 44 several times prior to that but choked. Glad I can finally put that game aside, phew. Wasn't a fan of the final challenge, at all. I basically was going through the motions up to screen 37 or so which was just tedious. Only the final parts were actually challenging. Still very much loved the game, though.

lol good job.

Top Bottom