• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

antibolo

Banned
Is it just me or is there a lot of input lag in this game? I have a hard time in some of the SMB challenges, even though I have a pretty flawless mastering of this game's physics on a real NES.

And yes I did try to play directly on the GamePad, so it's not a TV display lag issue.

EDIT: I just realized somebody else said pretty much the exact same thing earlier in this thread, lol

Tom_Cody

Is it just me or is there a lot of input lag in this game? I have a hard time in some of the SMB challenges, even though I have a pretty flawless mastering of this game's physics on a real NES.
I had this impression as well.

I have a few of the games on the 3DS VC and they seemed more responsive to me.

I'm still not sure it isn't in my mind though. The main thing that I noticed when I went back to the Wii U after experimenting with the 3DS is that I was much more relaxed with the 3DS. When playing NES Remix I couldn't restrain myself from always trying get the fastest possible times, a play style which is very different from what I would naturally do with these games. Even in games like DK and SMB, in which I was used to rushing (simply out of familiarity), the degree of haste is still totally different. And thus the controls feel different.
And yes I did try to play directly on the GamePad, so it's not a TV display lag issue.

EDIT: I just realized somebody else said pretty much the exact same thing earlier in this thread, lol
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you or if you are misinformed.

With the Wii U, all processing is done by the Wii U console and then the image is transmitted to the gamepad. This leads to a minimal ever-present lag in the gamepad's image and sound vs. the TV. This becomes instantly clear if you have volume up on both the gamepad and the TV at the same time.

leroidys

Are you talking about the auto-runner ones? There did seem to be some lag in those to me. The other SMB challenges seem to be much smoother.

I noticed the input lag, and so did two of my friends who played it. It is especially noticeable in SMB1.

I just played through SMB1 on my GBA cart so I am positive

man, how do you beat the last Wrecking Crew challenge in Bonus? The one with a second character, I have no idea what to do.
Also do you get anything for all stars? I'm only missing this one and the last Bonus mission (1 star)

man, how do you beat the last Wrecking Crew challenge in Bonus? The one with a second character, I have no idea what to do.
Also do you get anything for all stars? I'm only missing this one and the last Bonus mission (1 star)

I clear out the row I start at(while hitting that maniac---he falls and is gone for the time being) and then I go to the top with that wrench chasing me and I knock out a pillar holding one of those orange things timing it right so it falls on the evil wrench and traps it.

Then I make my way to the three rows including the one you start at knocking out walls or any you might have missed at the beginning.

Next I make my way to the top row and knock a pillar holding a ladder or something on the side/end of that row, climb up then knock out the grey brick wall that takes a few hits, then I go from one side of the screen to the other until I get to the bottom left part where there's that thick ladder.

I knock out the pillar to the right of it so one of those orange things falls, then I climb up, knock out the ladder, then go over the orange thing to the last few rows of walls.

Then while that maniac is again pestering me, I clear that lower level of walls, then climb the ladder to the right to get to the final bunch of walls(knock that asshole out on that part to drop him down and get him out of the way) and then it's all over.

I didn't get a great time but I can complete it every time now even thought it took me a while to figure it out.

then I go from one side of the screen to the other until I get to the bottom left part where there's that thick ladder.

Wait what? I don't think that has worked for me, or I did something wrong because when I use the ladder on top to cross the barrel I always thought I was trapped for good. Same goes when the dude knocks me down. (I thought I had to break everything until everything's clear in the main section without knocking the other dude down and then let myself get hit to reach the bottom lol)

Wait what? I don't think that has worked for me, or I did something wrong because when I use the ladder on top to cross the barrel I always thought I was trapped for good. Same goes when the dude knocks me down. (I thought I had to break everything until everything's clear in the main section without knocking the other dude down and then let myself get hit to reach the bottom lol)

I used to kind of do what you are talking about but I just retried it tonight and I knock the dude down right away, then I clear the main section and then go to the top level to the left, knock the pillar down that drops the ladder, climb up then go over an orange barrel, then destroy that gray wall that takes a few hits, then go off the screen, showing up on the other side where there is a ladder to go down, then go off the screen after that to get to the other side and do the same until I get to the very bottom.

At the bottom, where that thick ladder is, you can destroy the pillar to the right of it dropping the barrel, then climb up the regular ladder go right to where you are right on the thick ladder(it's on a pillar), destroy it, then climb down and you are at the bottom section with the last two rows of walls to smash.

Basically, to sum up, you don't have to get hit to drop down to the bottom part(you can though), you just do what I did at the very top and go all the way off the screen ending up on the opposite screen until you are near the bottom.

It's so hard to explain and while I actually got knocked down before on purpose by the second dude, you don't have to to get to the bottom rows.

However, you HAVE to get rid of the rows where you start by before going to the top and knocking the pillar down that drops the ladder.

That's why it pays to knock the dude down right away, you don't need him to get to the bottom section.

Are you going off the screen after climbing the ladder on the top left and going over the barrel???

You show up on the other side.

mclem

I'm enjoying the way I play. I just keep going on the 2x game until I can't get three stars and stop.

Ever since I've found out about the existence of the 2x badge, that's how I played; keep off the 'main games' until one I've not completed with all-three-stars is up, then play that to completion, and repeat. I've noticed the price for the last ten-or-so stamps has ramped up massively (I *think* from 400 bits/stamp to 5000?), so I probably won't get the last few - I only have Excitebike and a few Bonus stages left to three-star.

Gameboy415

I just hit 612 stars last night (Bonus 25 was a nightmare!!!) but there's still a dot/space in the list of games (to the left of Remix 1).

Does something else unlock there if you get all the stamps??
I think I'm at 96 stamps but I haven't heard of any bonuses for unlocking them all.

leroidys

Apparently Wii Remote support has been added. Can anyone confirm? I don't own the game so I can't.

I don't see a patch...

So far this is only for the Japanese version. Probably in preparation for the incoming Gamepadless SKU. Iwata will announce it tomorrow.

This is just speculation of course, but with DKC now confirmed to do jack shit with the Gamepad, it's looking extremely likely.

I don't think that people should read too much into this. The game has been content complete for months. I don't think that they would have made a u-turn and ripped out gamepad support after December sales. It's far more likely that there was just no gamepad support planned in the first place, new SKU or not.

daydream

Banned
I'm having a good time revisiting these games. I actually don't mind the fact that the game-specific challenges are very much rooted in the core mechanics of every game. It's a welcome refresher on how the classics controlled, how they were designed, etc. I definitely need to get a Pro controller before I get deeper into this (currently at 150 stars), Gamepad is fine but something about the buttons is not ideal, especially for split-second reactions.

One thing I don't like is the way lives/restarts/unlocks are handled - and I'm sure I'm not the first one to complain about the following - e.g. when I die on the first stage of a multipart thing, why even take away a heart. When I unlock a new stage, why show it every time. And then go back to the one I just finished, so I have to push down every time. Oh, I got a new stamp? No kidding. Restarting could be faster, as well (and maybe given to you as an immediate option at the end of a sub-three-star run).

Anyway, I'm glad it exists and I would definitely like to see more of these compilations.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Makes sense to support the Wiimote since it looks like a NES pad.

Guess they initially wanted to try and encourage people to use Miiverse by making sure everyone was using the GamePad at all times.

Classic controller support is the best news here. I think I'm gonna pick up the mayflash nes/snes to classic controller adapter and play this with a genuine nes controller. Should feel pretty awesome and get some use out of decades-old muscle memories I've built up.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
From Nintendo Europe:

"A new update for #NESRemix on #WiiU is now available allowing you to play with the Pro Controller, Wii Remote or Classic Controller"

Hopefully the US will see it soon.

It downloaded the update on my Wii U (US) today.

I absolutely adore this game but WOW are some of the later challenges just brutally difficult.

Also, Clu Clu Land's control scheme is insane.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm missing a few of the Clu Clu Land related challenges and that's it... I thought I liked this game much more back in the day than it turned out I did. :p Still would love a sequel though.

Roto13

I don't know if Clu Clu Land really works in this type of setting because it takes time to get used to the controls.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So after having a bit of a break from this game I came back to it to try and finish off the remaining challenges. Good god is the last one a pain, but I finally did it, so that's three stars for everything. Annoyingly I didn't get rainbows for that final stage so I'll have to do it again (but I did take my time on it just to ensure I'd not die)

So I have the three Mix sets, SMB and Zelda to rainbow and I'll be completely done. On and the final stamp I still need to get.

maxcriden

So after having a bit of a break from this game I came back to it to try and finish off the remaining challenges. Good god is the last one a pain, but I finally did it, so that's three stars for everything. Annoyingly I didn't get rainbows for that final stage so I'll have to do it again (but I did take my time on it just to ensure I'd not die)

So I have the three Mix sets, SMB and Zelda to rainbow and I'll be completely done. On and the final stamp I still need to get.

That's very impressive. Kudos!

leroidys

Yeah I got 3 rainbow on everything when it came out, then got to that last 44 level challenge and immediately said "fuck this, I'm out". It's not even hard, it's just way too many levels back to back.

maxcriden

Yeah I got 3 rainbow on everything when it came out, then got to that last 44 level challenge and immediately said "fuck this, I'm out". It's not even hard, it's just way too many levels back to back.

Sounds like another (SM3DW spoilers)

Mystery House Marathon!

maxcriden

Just did the Remix II level where (DK themed spoilers)

You play a regular DK level but these eye booger monsters fall from the ceiling. Anyone know what game those guys are originally from?

It was very tricky but very satisfying to beat. 3 stars, yay!

cafemomo

What are the chances of third parties getting involved in future "remix" games

Like from Konami/Ultra, Capcom, etc.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just did the Remix II level where (DK themed spoilers)

You play a regular DK level but these eye booger monsters fall from the ceiling. Anyone know what game those guys are originally from?

Which level was that? I only remember one where those trampolines from DK fall down.

maxcriden

Beat the SMB 5-2 autorunner level after dozens of tries tonight. Feeling super accomplished. I didn't use the mushroom and I got rainbow stars. Yay!

Jerrod

Anyone else still playing this? *crickets*
I was, but I just finished up with the final rainbow star and have the same question as this guy:

I just hit 612 stars last night (Bonus 25 was a nightmare!!!) but there's still a dot/space in the list of games (to the left of Remix 1).

Does something else unlock there if you get all the stamps??
I think I'm at 96 stamps but I haven't heard of any bonuses for unlocking them all.
I guess there is nothing else there and it is just a blank space? Couldn't find anything on the internet about it. 2 more stamps to get and then I'll be done with this game.

maxcriden

I was, but I just finished up with the final rainbow star and have the same question as this guy:

I guess there is nothing else there and it is just a blank space? Couldn't find anything on the internet about it. 2 more stamps to get and then I'll be done with this game.

I haven't heard anything. You guys and all your rainbow stars, though! I'm impressed. I'm a loooong ways off from that, still haven't even beaten all the levels....

maxcriden

Slowly. Other games keep popping up that I focus on instead of that. It's a nice stopgap game though for when there's nothing else occupying my attention.

That's how we're playing it too. It's good for a palate cleanser after a rousing round of Tropical Freeze or 3DW.

bomma_man

I'm sure if I'm misunderstanding you or if you are misinformed.

With the Wii U, all processing is done by the Wii U console and then the image is transmitted to the gamepad. This leads to a minimal ever-present lag in the gamepad's image and sound vs. the TV. This becomes instantly clear if you have volume up on both the gamepad and the TV at the same time.

Despite this the pad actually has less lag than most modern tvs.

Hmm, I play with the Gamepad and I look up at the TV and never had any problems with lag. Or maybe it's so minimal, yet it never bothered me. :S

im still playing this inbeteeen other games and mostly on the gamepad when watching TV, have over 500 stars so the difficulty is right up there now and the progression is slowing

Platy

Is this an actual retail release ?

G9lr0XQ.jpg

Any chance of this coming ?

Jerrod

I haven't heard anything. You guys and all your rainbow stars, though! I'm impressed. I'm a loooong ways off from that, still haven't even beaten all the levels....
It was more of a chore than an enjoyment to get all rainbow stars. Most of the challenges boil down to play the game, and there is nothing "remixed" about the level you are playing. Most of the time there is only one specific way to beat the level fast enough to get rainbow stars, sometimes it is really obvious but others you just have to keep replaying until you figure it out. NES Remix 2 looks much more fun.

Top Bottom