• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES Remix |OT| Not the Same Games, Not the Same Content

shawnlreed

Getting all the rainbow stars on Excitebike has taught me, for the first time, how to actually play that game with some skill.
The mechanics are surprisingly deep, and you need to apply all the tricks you learn to rainbow the last few levels.

ghibli99

Well, there has to be a point in every game where completion becomes completion for completion's sake with no outside reward.

Not seeing the big deal, although I'm wondering what's the max # of Stars needed to unlock every level?
Wait, getting the 3 stars on everything doesn't give you anything else? Bummer.

shawnlreed

After sinking about 30 hours into NES Remix, I finally got all 612 rainbow stars.
Feels good.
I really enjoyed my time with the game. I had not played many of these NES games for almost 30 years, so the nostalgia alone made the game worthwhile.

Wait, getting the 3 stars on everything doesn't give you anything else? Bummer.

Although this is true, there are some things that you only access after getting most of the stars, so the game does reward you for playing through it all the way.

You get a "Record Roll" showing all your best times, and the credits, when you beat Remix II level 25. Link
Also, it takes 600 stars (out of 612 total) to unlock the last level, which is by far the craziest level in the game.

Ah man, the list of games is pretty disappointing, actually. I've only even played four of those games on the NES, and that's if you stretch and include the Mario Bros minigame in Super Mario 3. I guess, looking back now, most of my fondest NES memories weren't actually games made by Nintendo. Huh.

maxcriden

I should probably share my thoughts on the awesome NES Remix now that I've gotten to spend some real time playing it. It's pretty darn cool. I too balked momentarily at the $15 price tag but oh man was I ever wrong to. It's an immense value with tons of content. I guess we still have a lot to unlock as well (just got Clu Clu Land). Faves so far are Zelda, SMB, DK, and DK Jr. I liked Pinball although the Seals Dancing challenge was really tough for me. My wife kicked some serious ass at Golf. I like the Remixed levels, especially the really out there ones like where it zooms out in Balloon Fight or the platforms disappear in SMB. The SMB autorunner stages are pretty tough. The whole game is very clever and great to just pick up and play. I can totally see trying to Rainbow the challenges (only have a few so far). Some of the Miiverse posts are great too. Nintendo's integration of Miiverse into its games has been really just organic and seamless. Anyway, great game. Looking forward to playing it more.

ETA: Also, I agree with those who find the Clu Clu Land controls wonky. And the Mario Bros. controls are really strange for me too because the Mario Advance version that I'm used to controls so much more responsively. Trying to get used to this one but it's tough. On the bright side, the updated graphics are neat and the controls for most of the other games hold up surprisingly amazingly well.

Ah man, the list of games is pretty disappointing, actually. I've only even played four of those games on the NES, and that's if you stretch and include the Mario Bros minigame in Super Mario 3. I guess, looking back now, most of my fondest NES memories weren't actually games made by Nintendo. Huh.

FWIW I only really ever liked Mario Bros., SMB, DK and Zelda and was unfamiliar/uninterested in the other games listed, and really like the game a great deal. What's great about this game is that you really don't have to like or care about most of the games themselves, the game consists of minigames based on different aspects of the games but doesn't require interest in the regular games themselves per se. It's more like a director's cut of NES games in general, if that makes sense.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Just bought this, and finding it freaking amazing. Btw, is there any point in getting rainbow stars excelt for the challenge itself? Seems crazy hard to get on most challenges.

maxcriden

Just bought this, and finding it freaking amazing. Btw, is there any point in getting rainbow stars excelt for the challenge itself? Seems crazy hard to get on most challenges.

I think it's just for the satisfaction of it. It's a great feeling though! (The very few I've gotten, that is!)

Roto13

I got used to Clu Clu Land in Animal Crossing and it wasn't that hard any more.

I seem to have lost that, though. :p

maxcriden

Haha, thanks. Im getting three stars on everything so far, but Im sure the difficulty will ramp up later. Whats your NNID btw?

Oh, it's maxjen326 but we're usually on my wife's account, jenmax326--feel free to add us both! (Congrats on your 3 stars on everything you've done so far, that's very impressive! There are plenty I only have 1 or 2 stars on that I thought were pretty tough!)

I never really played Clu Clu Land as a kid, and god am I glad I didn't. What a horrible, nightmarish game.

Pretty sure I've finally three-starred all of the Clu Clu Land stages in the game, but UGH. Golf and Ice Climbers are other enormously frustrating ones, though I haven't had as much trouble with Ice Climbers as some other GAFers in here have based on the posts I've been reading.

I'm working on the first Tennis stage in the Bonus column right now and I want to pull my hair out. How did I ever not hate this game as a kid?

llamarawk

Ice climber actually has pretty consistent controls and platforming. You just have to land with both feet on the platform and have limited movement in the air. Such was life in the pre-SMB

Roto13

Ice climber actually has pretty consistent controls and platforming. You just have to land with both feet on the platform and have limited movement in the air. Such was life in the pre-SMB

Yup. Jumping through the edges of the platforms is weird, but it's consistent.

Morfeo

Oh, it's maxjen326 but we're usually on my wife's account, jenmax326--feel free to add us both! (Congrats on your 3 stars on everything you've done so far, that's very impressive! There are plenty I only have 1 or 2 stars on that I thought were pretty tough!)

Added! Ive only did the games I really know so far though, but thanks! Played Sonic Racing the last few days - another awesome game on the Wii U!

Edit: Lol at trying to get shiny stars in Pinball - that game is pure luck :)

Morfeo

On to Golf now, having getting three stars on DK, DKjr, SMB, Zelda, Pinball and Ice Climber. I think for me, the best part about this game, is that I get to try some classic NES-games that I had never played before, like Pinball, Ice Climber and now Golf. Really looking forward to try out Excitebike and Clu Clu Land as well having never played them!

It's actually a twist on Mario Bros. controls and physics. Always loved Popo and Nana's game.

Morfeo

Got three stars on Wrecking Crew, Mario Bros and Clu Clu Land as well. Only Excitebike and Balloon Fight left!

wrowa

I'm rather frustrated by this game. It's such a cool idea and it's really addictive, but why is it such a barebones experience? That this game has no online leaderbords - or any kind of useful highscore chart, really - is such a frustrating oversight.

Griss

I bought a ton of the 'big' Wii U games when I got mine a couple days ago, but my word, this is the most fun I'm having out of all of them. Such a simple, brilliant idea, and polished to a high sheen.

Only problem is that I hate Mario Bros., and there's plenty of that one so far. That and I've completely forgotten how to get 10 1-ups in a row.

The best part about this game is how it has introduced me to some of the first party NES games I missed as a kid, like Donkey Kong Jr or Excitebike. Excitebike confuses the hell out of me though - I'm never sure why I've crashed.

maxcriden

Haha, probably not :) Tons of other games to catch up on. But thanks! Hows your progress?

Pretty good, thanks! It's a tough game...we're still working through the main stages. My wife is a pro at Golf - I don't know how I would ever be able to complete those levels. That Dancing Seals challenge in Pinball was really tough for me, it was very satisfying when I finally got them to dance. We still have quite a few to beat. We've been a bit side-tracked with Mairo 3D World though!

Clu Clu Land was one of the few 'classic' NES games I never played back in the day. I literately had them all or at least had played them all except Clu Clu Land.

I don't think I missed much having never experienced it. Couldn't be done quicker with it in NES Remix.

Morfeo

I am stuck at the "get 10000 points" in Pinball level in remix :( Feels completely random to me.

Morfeo

Yeah that one sucks. Just keep restarting until you get it bounce through the 1000 points at the top ~5 times.

Yeah, that was the way I ended up making it.

I am now at what I guess is the final level in the game, bonus 25 where you need to pick up 44 power ups. Ruthless!

Lyude77

Yay, you made it! Yeah, some of the Pinball ones were rough. I thought the Seals Dance one was the hardest by far.

I had a ton of trouble with one of the Bonus "Catch the Princess" levels. I kinda hate the physics...I liked every other game (and the main part of Pinball). 3 starred them all. :)

I really enjoyed it - I'll be looking for a sequel or DLC.

maxcriden

I had a ton of trouble with one of the Bonus "Catch the Princess" levels. I kinda hate the physics...I liked every other game (and the main part of Pinball). 3 starred them all. :)

I really enjoyed it - I'll be looking for a sequel or DLC.

Oh! I just meant of the Pinball levels themselves. Some of the other levels in general are much harder to me. My wife does the Golf levels--I could never be able to do those, esp. the hole in one level. Those looked insane! I do plan to go for rainbows on all of the levels. It's a great, addictive game. :)

Morfeo

Yay, you made it! Yeah, some of the Pinball ones were rough. I thought the Seals Dance one was the hardest by far.

Yeah, pure luck with those Pinball stages though :)

Anyways, I have now gotten three stars on everything, so I assume 612 stars is the max? Such a random number, but whatever, an awesome game that I really hope they make a sequel to!

Kadin

Those of you who finished the game, how did you tend to play through it? Did you mostly stick to one game at a time or randomly jump around just depending on what sounded good? I was gonna leave the Remix stuff for the end but it appears there are quite a lot so I'm playing them here and there. Game is fantastic!

maxcriden

Yeah, pure luck with those Pinball stages though :)

Anyways, I have now gotten three stars on everything, so I assume 612 stars is the max? Such a random number, but whatever, an awesome game that I really hope they make a sequel to!

Yep, they named it after me! (Yes, there are supposedly 612 total.)

Those of you who finished the game, how did you tend to play through it? Did you mostly stick to one game at a time or randomly jump around just depending on what sounded good? I was gonna leave the Remix stuff for the end but it appears there are quite a lot so I'm playing them here and there. Game is fantastic!

I haven't finished the game yet but my wife and I switch off levels and randomly jump around different games including the Remix stuff. It seems to work well for us and we get a good variety that way instead of getting burned out on any one game.

Lyude77

Oh! I just meant of the Pinball levels themselves. Some of the other levels in general are much harder to me. My wife does the Golf levels--I could never be able to do those, esp. the hole in one level. Those looked insane! I do plan to go for rainbows on all of the levels. It's a great, addictive game. :)

Oh yeah, I agree that the seals dancing was the hardest of the original. One of the Bonus levels was a Pinball "Bonus" level, and it took me forever to learn the angles that the ball would bounce off of the walls with.

I thought those Golf challenges were pretty difficult too - it took me a few times to realize that you had to aim by what I had thought was missing the shot. Hole in one took me a while. Luckily, with the Golf challenges, doing the same thing gets you the exact same results so you can figure out what you've been missing. If the physics were somehow super complicated, it would be impossible. I didn't even account for wind most of the time until my brother mentioned it. :p

Lyude77

I guess I randomly jumped around, haha. I did do all of Remix II and then all of the Bonus levels - I probably should have mixed in the Bonus games earlier.

I would suggest alternating the SMB levels and Zelda levels with something (or with each other like I did) since they have the most challenges. Of course, they're also two of the best games, so they would still be fine if done all at once.

Morfeo

In general, I did them one at the time, and then the remix and bonus stages in the end.

By far the most difficult to get three stars in, was the last bonus level imo. They give you 6 lives to collect all the power ups in SMB1, and while most of them are pretty easy, its also not difficult to screw up and loose a life here and there, making getting through it all on time incredibly challenging imo. Incidently, it was also the last I did.

I also never reall understood the mechanics of Baseball, I just lucked out of it.

Clu Clu Land started difficult, but I actually thought the game was really awesome when I got the hang of it, and getting three stars on that bonus level where u need to collect 66 rupees was incredibly satisfying. SMB, Excitebike, Zelda, the DK-games, Golf and Wrecking Crew was all really cool and worked well here, while I personally find Ice Climber and Mario Bros to be way to annoying to play, and Tennis was just boring, but then again, its fun that they do have some variety and let us try out games most of us havent tried before.

Top Bottom