• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Announces Production I.G. Exclusive Anime Series ‘Perfect Bones’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

Production I.G.’s upcoming Perfect Bones will be available exclusively on Netflix, and more impressively, it’ll be available on the service worldwide. It is, according to Netflix, the “first-ever original anime title to debut all episodes simultaneously in 190 countries world-wide.”

The 12-episode series directed by Kazuto Nakazawa (Kill Bill, “Moondrive” sequence of Genius Party Beyond) is set in a distant future where scientists have designed a “perfect human” in hopes of furthering world peace, but the new humans are kidnapped by an evil organization which has its own plans for them.

More here

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/anime/ne...lusive-anime-series-perfect-bones-137316.html

Lock if old

Ushay

The seven deadly sins was pure garbage, so lets see if this one will be an improvement.

'Scuse me .. I kinda enjoyed it haha.

OT - More original Anime from Netflix is very welcome. Wish they'd pick up Berserk and gave it full reboot as a series.

Reversed

I hope it's an action packed cour.

As for Deadly Sins I felt it was a modern Dragon Ball because of Meliodas. Nothing too special.

nubbe

The Seven Deadly Sins was excellent so hopefully this follows suit.

RKYuCkT.gif

SaintZ

The Seven Deadly Sins was kinda fun tbh. It reminded me a bit to that old Dragon Quest anime.

Perched for this.

ETA: ddddddd ^^^^^^^^ that was annoying

WOW, this could potentially be the thing I dreamed of. A proper Netflix produced anime since anime is so constrained by budgets and offload ton of talent to China and Korean in the animation and CG departments (not necessary a bad thing sometimes)

To clear things up, Seven Deadly Sins wasn't created for Netflix, it had already aired in Japan months before it was put on there, and it was an open question for a while how it would be handled in the US. I even thought there would be a decent chance of it coming to Toonami.

This will be Netflix's first actual original anime, right? And it's a collaboration with Production I.G.? Hot damn, I'm there on day one.

I can only hope this is the beginning of a larger effort from Netflix to bankroll original anime.

Galang

Banned
To clear things up, Seven Deadly Sins wasn't created for Netflix, it had already aired in Japan months before it was put on there, and it was an open question for a while how it would be handled in the US. I even thought there would be a decent chance of it coming to Toonami.

Thanks for clearing this up. The way everyone was speaking even I had always thought Netflix made the show

Excited for this project

Ushay

God I really want Berserk to get picked up by Netflix, so it gets some form of continual support/production.

I'd kinda love to see an anime, full stop anime, just written by a Western writer. Just to see if it's capable of avoiding tropes and pitfalls that a lot of modern anime succumbs to. Bypassing Japan entirely to be produced for a Western audience on Netflix is intriguing to me, even if the director doesn't have the best track record.

Color me intrigued.

Tuck

I'd kinda love to see an anime, full stop anime, just written by a Western writer. Just to see if it's capable of avoiding tropes and pitfalls that a lot of modern anime succumbs to. Bypassing Japan entirely to be produced for a Western audience on Netflix is intriguing to me, even if the director doesn't have the best track record.

Color me intrigued.

This already exists. Its called Avatar: The Last Airbender.

To a lesser degree, IGPX also kinda fits that bill. It didn't have a western writer, but it was created from a collaboration with Cartoon Network and was intended to appeal to the western audience, IIRC.

Kieli

Seven Deadly Sins is just stupid.

It had a lot of potential at the beginning, but now it's just shitting the bed.

Color me intrigued.
RWBY is kinda anime....

ish

Crocodile

Color me intrigued.

I don't disagree but if we don't have good writers on the project (the most important thing), we are just going to replace Japanese tropes with Western tropes. Western tropes are likely more palatable to us as Westerners but in the grand scheme of things it would mostly be a lateral move.

To a lesser degree, IGPX also kinda fits that bill. It didn't have a western writer, but it was created from a collaboration with Cartoon Network and was intended to appeal to the western audience, IIRC.

IGPX was also boring as hell for most of its run. How do you make a show about racing mechs BORING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Reads Netflex and original anime... Checks to see if it's CGI.

Well at least the AoT studio is making it and i did enjoy psycho pass.

If this pans out we'll get more anime which is good. I also like how they upload everything from the start, no waiting a week on a cliffhanger.

I don't disagree but if we don't have good writers on the project (the most important thing), we are just going to replace Japanese tropes with Western tropes. Western tropes are likely more palatable to us as Westerners but in the grand scheme of things it would mostly be a lateral move.
I'd take a Western trope instead of an anime trope(like the boob grab gif above) any day.

Dice//

Banned

Color me intrigued.

I...honestly really agree with this. I'm gonna be that butt hole who just sees so little growth in anime sometimes it honestly feels like the same things over and over. Maybe I'm watching the wrong titles, but it's stopped clicking with me besides maybe one series every couple of years.

And how good it is!

Hypron

Seven deadly sin is not horrible but it felt too typical and didn't have anything that made it reallly stand out in a positive way. The gropey stuff was absolutely horrible though — is that shit supposed to be funny?

So hopefully this is better.

Actually, wasn't there a rumor that Netflix would fund a new season for Wakfu? I loved that show.

Color me intrigued.

Give Wakfu a try. It's French and it's on Netflix last time I checked.

Oh I certainly agree, and I'm not saying that Western writers are inherently better or more trope-evasive but just that seeing the style of anime I'm used to be without a lot of the tropes and pandering and whatnot that come from the need to appeal to a Japanese audience, even with Western tropes or problems it may just be refreshing or interesting to see simply because we really don't see anime with those sensibilities often. I of course want the writing to be good and not just some tepid archetype-fest but I'd be lying if I said the western tropes or attempts at Japanese ideas through a Western lens wouldn't be reason enough for me to watch.

I...honestly really agree with this. I'm gonna be that butt hole who just sees so little growth in anime sometimes it honestly feels like the same things over and over. Maybe I'm watching the wrong titles, but it's stopped clicking with me besides maybe one series every couple of years.

Well, I watch a lot of anime every season, by which I mean like 10-15 shows, and my ability to watch them comes from a pretty high tolerance to the shit that bothers me while focusing on the things I do like. For example, I started rewatching No Game No Life which I adore but have serious problems with it's depictions of fan service with underage characters. It's the reason I don't recommend it to people who aren't sorta already waist deep in the anime pandering/tropes. Which doesn't mean it's not a good show just that it has aspects of it that were necessary in order for it to be made that detract from it as a whole to those who aren't targeted by it.

That's really the main issue and why this interests me; I actually watch more anime than I ever have and find a lot of shows I enjoy a tremendous amount but that's only due to being able to stomach the issues that anime has as a whole right now that would turn off other people.

Crocodile

I'd take a Western trope instead of an anime trope(like the boob grab gif above) any day.

I mean sure but on the flip side I'd much rather take a show that indulges in "calling out your attack names" tropes over one staring "a nuclear family with 2-3 kids, a fat/idiotic husband and an impossibly hot housewife who probably could be doing much better in life doing literally anything else or married to anything else". It's all a matter of which tropes and the quality of the writing.

Well most of any medium is crap so yes, in all likelihood you probably are watching the wrong shows :p Hop into Anime-Gaf and let them know your preferences and they could probably direct you to stuff you'd really like.

Oh I certainly agree, and I'm not saying that Western writers are inherently better or more trope-evasive but just that seeing the style of anime I'm used to be without a lot of the tropes and pandering and whatnot that come from the need to appeal to a Japanese audience, even with Western tropes or problems it may just be refreshing or interesting to see simply because we really don't see anime with those sensibilities often. I of course want the writing to be good and not just some tepid archetype-fest but I'd be lying if I said the western tropes or attempts at Japanese ideas through a Western lens wouldn't be reason enough for me to watch.

Beautiful things often happen when you combine the best parts of the West and the East. I really wish the West hadn't pretty much abandoned action animation (or like just non-comedy animation in general). I often have to turn to Japan for my fix because I have NO OTHER OPTIONS.

Beautiful things often happen when you combine the best parts of the West and the East. I really wish the West hadn't pretty much abandoned action animation (or like just non-comedy animation in general). I often have to turn to Japan for my fix because I have NO OTHER OPTIONS.

I know, right?!

Mortemis

Banned

This so much. I grew up off of american action cartoons with a lil action anime here and there, and it sucks so much that if I want any sort of action animation these days I have to watch something from Japan, which is most likely filled with tropes I can't really ignore as easily anymore (like that groping gif).

As for this anime, I'm kinda confused as to what it is. Is this premiering weekly in Japan and then releasing worldwide after it ends or is it just releasing the entire thing at once?

Using the seasons release approach could be nice. Reading about how the anime industry works, weekly deadlines are sometimes a living hell so maybe it'll be easier and higher quality when doing it at once. Or maybe they have just as strict or stricter deadlines. *shrugs*

Oersted

This so much. I grew up off of american action cartoons with a lil action anime here and there, and it sucks so much that if I want any sort of action animation these days I have to watch something from Japan, which is most likely filled with tropes I can't really ignore as easily anymore (like that groping gif).

As for this anime, I'm kinda confused as to what it is. Is this premiering weekly in Japan and then releasing worldwide after it ends or is it just releasing the entire thing at once?

Using the seasons release approach could be nice. Reading about how the anime industry works, weekly deadlines are sometimes a living hell so maybe it'll be easier and higher quality when doing it at once. Or maybe they have just as strict or stricter deadlines. *shrugs*

In an era where the Internet knows no bounds, we are proud to deliver high quality original Anime to fans all over the world, at the exact same time, no matter where they live whether it be Japan, France, Mexico, the US, and beyond.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-...ime-series-perfect-bones-to-members-worldwide

Try King of Pigs. Its from Korea but otherwise it fits

http://youtu.be/BRp6NlkiHeE

I mean sure but on the flip side I'd much rather take a show that indulges in "calling out your attack names" tropes over one staring "a nuclear family with 2-3 kids, a fat/idiotic husband and an impossibly hot housewife who probably could be doing much better in life doing literally anything else or married to anything else". It's all a matter of which tropes and the quality of the writing.

Ngl, this would probably be a garbage-ass show, but it would hilarious to see what the archetypal "According to Jim" sitcom family would look like with anime character designs.

But on a more serious note, I understand the caution, but I think this is the perfect time for an anime series with westerners involved in key aspects of the production process. The kids who were raised during Toonami's golden years and the early-2000s anime/manga boom have been adults for a few years now. Their presence in comics is already pretty noticeable; they've just gotta break into screenwriting and directing now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The seven deadly sins was pure garbage, so lets see if this one will be an improvement.

wat.

Sure its not hard hitting stuff, its got all the tropes of battle shounen and shounen jump type popular series, but it does what it sets out to do very well.

On topic, very glad to see series like this in as many avenues as possible

Oersted

Ngl, this would probably be a garbage-ass show, but it would hilarious to see what the archetypal "According to Jim" sitcom family would look like with anime character designs.

But on a more serious note, I understand the caution, but I think this is the perfect time for an anime series with westerners involved in key aspects of the production process. The kids who were raised during Toonami's golden years and the early-2000s anime/manga boom have been adults for a few years now. Their presence in comics is already pretty noticeable; they've just gotta break into screenwriting and directing now.

There was Animatrix, helmed by Michael Arias, who also directed the feature Tekkonkinkreet.

There was Animatrix, helmed by Michael Arias, who also directed the feature Tekkonkinkreet.

Huh, never realized this was directed by an American. Definitely gotta check that out.

But yeah, more of that, heh.

What about the other way round, japanese studio producing western animation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1112765&page=1

Looks interesting. Guess I shouldn't be surprise Ghibli of all companies is helping to produce Western animation considering the few Miyazaki movies I've seen seemed like they were made with a pretty universal appeal in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom