• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

All Stars (Family, Comedy)
Breakfast with Curtis (Comedy)
Camille Claudel 1915 (Drama, Foreign)
Dark Legacy II (Documentary, Political)
Dear Mandela (Documentary, Political, Foreign)
Girl on a Bicycle (Indie, Romantic, Comedy)
High School Record (Indie, Comedy, Satire)
Jobs (Drama)
K-11 (Thriller)
L.I.E. (Indie, Crime, Drama)
My Brother the Devil (Indie, Drama)
My Engine's Fragile Sound (Horror, Slasher)
Otelo Burning (Drama, Sports, Foreign)
Pup (Family, Adventure)
Surrendered (Drama, Faith)
Tall as the Baobab Tree (Drama)
The Happy Sad (Indie, Drama, Romantic, Gay & Lesbian)
The Light in Her Eyes (Documentary, Social)
The Perfect Wedding (Romantic, Comedy, Gay & Lesbian)
The Pool (Drama, Bollywood)
The Punk Singer (Documentary, Biographical/Kathleen Hanna, Music)
The Silent Army (Documentary, Social, Foreign)
Towheads (Indie, Comedy)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I noticed some stuff expiring on 4/1 in the US:

The Hunt for Red October
Pet Sematary
Pi
The Truman Show

DagsJT

Damnit, just suggested to my wife that she should watch 24 before the special starts, only to read above that it's going off Netflix on 1st April anyway. So annoying.

Acrylic7

Damnit, just suggested to my wife that she should watch 24 before the special starts, only to read above that it's going off Netflix on 1st April anyway. So annoying.
Everyone thinks that 24 is coming.
This is going to be the best April Fools joke ever.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So I will be in England for a couple of weeks, so while there will I have access to the UK service instead of the US one? If so can anyone tell me if they have super why or sesame Street on the UK service as otherwise I am gonna have to get hold of some episodes before I leave or my kids are gonna be upset.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
So I will be in England for a couple of weeks, so while there will I have access to the UK service instead of the US one? If so can anyone tell me if they have super why or sesame Street on the UK service as otherwise I am gonna have to get hold of some episodes before I leave or my kids are gonna be upset.

Both shows are on Canada.

Been trying to find a new sci fi or fantasy series to watch, just started the first episode of Merlin
Suggestions? Recently finished doctor who and BSG - mixed feeling on battle star
Edit: only made it a couple minutes in Merlin, maybe revisit later

Kaladin

Been trying to find a new sci fi or fantasy series to watch, just started the first episode of Merlin
Suggestions? Recently finished doctor who and BSG - mixed feeling on battle star

Merlin is bad with story of the week stuff, but when it gets to the series plot it can be good.....not great mind you, but you at least have Anthony Head as the King.

well I don't want to mess with DNS settings, I just want to use my account as is and as I will be in the UK I assume I will get uk netflix service?

Yeah you will, both of those series are not in the UK I think.

Would you consider Supernatural as fantasy?

And also Fringe, which is very good, but is also a tad different sci fi.

Yeah you will, both of those series are not in the UK I think.

Would you consider Supernatural as fantasy?

And also Fringe, which is very good, but is also a tad different sci fi.
I've seen my brother watch supernatural and seen tons of gif, but I just want a show with a cool story.

You steered me right on Doctor Who, so ill give it a watch!
Edit: also think I might want to check out X-Files

You should hopefully enjoy both. Supernatural's first 5 seasons are actually really solid but it's not Sci Fi. I guess it's Fantasy but not High Fantasy? I'm not really sure. Basically a world where pretty much all the monsters from various lore exist.

Merlin is a rough one, so I don't blame you for stopping on that one. I kind of had to second screen watch the first half of the first season because it was so boring. It gets better in later seasons but is by no means a "can't miss" series.

kingkitty

Netflix has so many found footage films.

The best I've seen are probably:
The Bay (Has a different structure from other found footage narratives. Less on jump scares and more of a thriller I guess.)

Trollhunter (Amusing premise. Amusing humor. Very amusing.)

V/H/S V/H/S 2 (Can be hit or miss, but when it hits, it's some scary stuff.)

Okay:
Banshee Chapter (Had a few trippy scares.)

Close Encounters 1 and 2 (meh it was okay.)

Slightly bad:
Paranormal Activity 4 (The only Paranormal movie I hadn't seen. It's the same ole shit but less interesting.)

Devil's Pass (The last fourth of the film saved it from the 'bad' category.)

Haunted House (Idk, some of it made me giggle. Had one too many ghost rape jokes though.)

Bad:
Frankenstein Theory (Shares a lot of similarities with Devil's Pass, but without any scary stuff. Super fucking lame waste of time.)

Watched Dredd. Didn't really think it was anything great. The raid was much much better as a raid on apartment block movie.

Would watch a sequal if it expanded more into the world and mythos of Mega City One

Supernatural Seasons 1-5 are a nice complete show. Everything else that came afterwards were different showrunners and it shows. The season last year and this year thus far have been a nice return to form for the show. Its definitely more fantasy/horror(?). Definitely recommend the first 5 seasons.

Ive been watching Chuck and up to season 4 and so far its not that bad. Tempted to start up some other random shows.

Also anyone know anything about Paranoia?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a kids show or movie that will hold the attention of a 2 1/2 year old girl? My little niece is gonna be here today and I cant seem to find anything to hold her interest. Not being a parent, I clearly don't know what kids like.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Does anyone have a recommendation for a kids show or movie that will hold the attention of a 2 1/2 year old girl? My little niece is gonna be here today and I cant seem to find anything to hold her interest. Not being a parent, I clearly don't know what kids like.

My little sister watches: Curious George and Pepa Pig (I don't think its up, you could YouTube it) a lot. About the same age. My sister is half a year older than your niece. Kids don't stay still for very long though. What shows have you tried?

For some weird reason, she likes horror movies too.

My little sister watches: Curious George and Pepa Pig (I don't think its up, you could YouTube it) a lot. About the same age. My sister is half a year older than your niece. Kids don't stay still for very long though. What shows have you tried?

For some weird reason, she likes horror movies too.

Basically every animated show on Disney and Sprout. The one thing she'll sit still for is Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Unfortunately there's only the movie on Netflix.

Unfortunately Mak, Youtube is indeed your best option for MMC. Do some searches for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and you'll find some full videos there.

As for Netflix, stuff you can try would be Special Agent Oso, Super Why!, LeapFrog, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, and there's some other Mickey Mouse movies that aren't Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. In fact, I'd suggest that you make a new profile and select the option that makes it a kids account. That will change the Netflix interface to nothing but kid appropriate titles and you can just cruise through and see what what your Neice has an interest for.

Edwardo

Finally finished Attack on Titan. It was ok I guess. Unfortunately, I wasn't a huge fan of some of the characters. IMO a good show will get me to feel for the characters in it, but Attack on Titan didn't get me to care for them at all. I did like some of the action, and the blood/gore was nice as well. The animation and music were both nice as well.

2.5/5

Kwixotik

I'm finishing Freaks and Geeks today. Gonna watch the final episode later. It's such a good show: probably the best depiction of high school I've ever seen, comedic/dramatic in good proportion, and excellent characters + development (I was impressed by the character development for even minor characters). I really wish there were more episodes.

Not sure what I'm going to watch next.

I'm finishing Freaks and Geeks today. Gonna watch the final episode later. It's such a good show: probably the best depiction of high school I've ever seen, comedic/dramatic in good proportion, and excellent characters + development (I was impressed by the character development for even minor characters). I really wish there were more episodes.

Undeclared

Not sure if it's still on Netflix, but Greek is pretty good.

Cfh123

Dora the Explorer
Curious George

Tabasco

Recommendations for action adventure films?

Whenever I pick one randomly, I rarely seem to end up liking them, but I love the genre.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Recommendations for action adventure films?

Whenever I pick one randomly, I rarely seem to end up liking them, but I love the genre.

If you don't mind foreign movies/subtitles: The Good, the Bad, the Weird. It can get a little over the top, but it is one of the reasons I liked it.

Vertical Limit.
Ironclad.

Fevaweva

Finally finished Attack on Titan. It was ok I guess. Unfortunately, I wasn't a huge fan of some of the characters. IMO a good show will get me to feel for the characters in it, but Attack on Titan didn't get me to care for them at all. I did like some of the action, and the blood/gore was nice as well. The animation and music were both nice as well.

2.5/5

The problem I had with Attack On Titan was that when the crazy twist happened (
As in, Jager could transform into a Titan
it became so fucking nonsensical and OTT that I ended up not giving a shit.

Before then the show was this crazy anime where it feels like literally anyone could die during the fight scenes...then after the twist all the tension drains away when
Jager somehow comes back

Edwardo

The problem I had with Attack On Titan was that when the crazy twist happened (
As in, Jager could transform into a Titan
it became so fucking nonsensical and OTT that I ended up not giving a shit.

Before then the show was this crazy anime where it feels like literally anyone could die during the fight scenes...then after the twist all the tension drains away when
Jager somehow comes back

YES! I felt the same way at that point.
After the first few episodes, I really liked that fact that it felt like nobody was safe and that anyone could die. I thought that the series could be something refreshingly ruthless. After that moment I lost that feeling and became disinterested with the characters.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Undeclared

Not sure if it's still on Netflix, but Greek is pretty good.

greek is good but not the same type of show as freaks and geeks. its more like american pie the tv series (with the gross out stuff turned down as it aired on ABC Family). undeclared is also more about the comedy. any drama is usually of the relationship variety.

both are great in their own right though. a lot less angsty. might be a good change of pace after F&G though...some of those episodes were amazing but also a real downer lol the other two shows being much more light hearted

if you want something closer to f&g maybe the wonder years?

greek is good but not the same type of show as freaks and geeks. its more like american pie the tv series (with the gross out stuff turned down as it aired on ABC Family). undeclared is also more about the comedy. any drama is usually of the relationship variety.

both are great in their own right though. a lot less angsty. might be a good change of pace after F&G though...some of those episodes were amazing but also a real downer lol the other two shows being much more light hearted

if you want something closer to f&g maybe the wonder years?

Undeclared is pretty clearly the latter years of Freaks & Geeks with a heavy spin of "This is what Judd Apatow thinks will play better for Broadcast TV America." To an extent he was right but he sort of sacrificed the more meaningful/powerful aspects of F&G to get more of the typical comedy in.. but at the end of the day, it's still a good bit of entertainment.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Adventure Time: Season 2 (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Batman: The Brave and the Bold: Season 3 (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Codename: Kids Next Door: Season 4-6 (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Courage the Cowardly Dog: Season 3-4 (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Generator Rex: Season 3 (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Green Lantern: The Animated Series (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Jim Norton: Please Be Offended (Standup)
MAD: Season 2 (TV, Comedy)
Mad Men: Season 6 (TV, Drama)
Madoka Magica (Anime)
Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark (Action)
Regular Show: Season 2 (TV, Animated, Comedy)
Scooby-Doo!: Mystery Incorporated: Season 2 (TV, Cartoons, Kids, Where are you?)
She Is Wow (TV, Drama, Foreign)
The Berlin File (Action, Thriller, Foreign)
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy: Season 3 (TV, Cartoons, Kids)
Vampire Prosecutor: Season 2 (TV, Crime, Drama, Fantasy, Foreign)
White Reindeer (Indie, Drama, Comedy)
Young Justice (TV, Cartoons, Kids)

Canada:

2012 (Action, Thriller)
21 (Drama)
Armored (Crime, Thriller)
Did You Hear About the Morgans? (Romantic, Comedy)
Fired Up! (Romantic, Comedy)
Ghost Rider (Action)
Hancock (Action, Comedy)
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (Action, Crime, Thriller)
The House Bunny (Comedy)
The International (Thriller)
Pineapple Express (Comedy)
The Stepfather (Horror, Thriller)
Year One (Comedy)
You Don't Mess with the Zohan (Action, Comedy)
Zombieland (Comedy)

Thank you Cartoon Network for not forgetting about Netflix. No clue why you are teasing us like this, but still.

Also, the Green Lantern series is great, I watched it on the Canadian Netflix. Sadly it had a short life.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Via instagram, coming in April:

House S1-8
Bob's Burgers S3
Ali
Royal Pains S1-4
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Mean Girls

Glad Royal Pains is going up. Love that show.

I didn't know Mud got added to the US selection! checked a few pages back and saw no mention of it. good movie, Matthew Mchonaghuey (of however it's spelled) is really good in this, same with the 2 kid actors.

Top Bottom