• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

American Experience: Earth Days (Documentary)
Are We There Yet? (Family, Comedy)
Gary Owen: The True Story (Stand-up)
Joe + Belle (Romance, Drama, Foreign)
Littlerock (Documentary)
Que Pena tu Familia (Romantic, Comedy, Foreign/Spanish)
Randy Orton: The Evolution of a Predator (Wrestling)
Sing Your Song (Biographical, Documentary)

Canada:

American Masters: LENNONYC
Bewitched

Sweden/Denmark/Finland/Norway:

Deliverance
Tron: Legacy (Not available in Norway)
Mørke
Magnus Betnér: Uncut (Sweden only)
Magnus Betnér: Tal till Nationen (Sweden only)
Yogi Bear (Not available in Norway)
Hereafter (Not available in Norway)

Mexico/Brazil:

Shrek Forever After
The Next Megaquake
Deliverance
Monsters vs. Aliens
Child's Play 2: Chucky's Back
The Strip Game (Documentary)
The Jaguar

Watching Sherlock immediately watching Doctor Who and after House a while ago. I enjoy this formula but am pretty sure these are three of the better ones. Any suggestions on similar shows on Netflix?

Sure seems like Netflix Instant has been losing content at a more rapid pace than gaining content lately. :[

Oh and that May 22 list; those are all Viacom properties.
Netflix must have had a falling out with Viacom over that content. Lame...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Sure seems like Netflix Instant has been losing content at a more rapid pace than gaining content lately. :[

Oh and that May 22 list; those are all Viacom properties.
Netflix must have had a falling out with Viacom over that content. Lame...

It isn't a falling out. Netflix is moving towards specific content deals, rather than broad content deals.

Wag

I just watched Tai Chi Zero. It was pretty good. Only thing is we have to wait for Netflix to pick up Tai Chi Hero if we want to see the other half (if they ever are).

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Got a netflix-related question, and figured this would be the appropriate gaf-spot to post it:

Has anyone else noticed any TV series having a bit of weirdness regarding missing scenes? I just finished a run of Battlestar Galactica, and having already seen the series, there were scenes that definitely seemed to be missing. The "Previously On" section frequently had bits of scenes and dialogue that wasn't actually in earlier episodes, and there is one specific scene in the final episode that I vividly remember but wasn't present when I watched it on netflix last night:

The scene on Earth where Tyrrol is explaining how he's planning to settle alone on a "northern island" because he's done with people, both human and cylon. That bit and pretty much anything involving the Tighs seemed conspicuously absent.

What's the deal with that? If netflix releases are based on DVD/blu-ray, shouldn't the episode content be identical?

My GF's pissed off because Netflix (UK) is showing 3 series of Portlandia, but they only have 2.

I was getting grumpy TXTs from her this morning... poor cow.

My GF's pissed off because Netflix (UK) is showing 3 series of Portlandia, but they only have 2.

I was getting grumpy TXTs from her this morning... poor cow.

Yeah, the UK vs US catalogue is pretty weird. For example: The US only has 7 seasons of "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" but the UK has all 8 seasons.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Doesn't the UK have Dexter too?

Monkeylord, in the OP, there is a link to Un-Block US, they have a week trial. So start it up, access the UK library, and watch the episodes within the trail. You could also shell out the $5/monthly for it.

TCRS

Banned
No! not Hey Arnold :/

I was checking the animes on netflix and somehow nothing looks very appealing except Samurai Champloo which I have already seen. So I just started Samurai Champloo again.

Yeah, the UK vs US catalogue is pretty weird. For example: The US only has 7 seasons of "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" but the UK has all 8 seasons.

What I meant was that on the Xbox it said "Portlandia (27 Episodes)" but there wasn't actually that many. My GF saw that and thought "sweet... new series is up!" but was grumpy after finding there wasn't actually 27 episodes available.

bengraven

Fuck, no more Dora, Yo Gabba or Spongebob after the 22nd?

That's pretty huge in this household. Especially SBSP. My poor kid.

aristotle

I've noticed weird stuff in the last few weeks on the US Netflix. Maybe it's just something I finally picked up on.

On Tremors, they show a FBI anti-piracy warning. It's the only one I've ever seen. :p

I started to watch The Peacemaker last night. Luckily I had seen it before because there were no subtitles at all for the Russian scenes. I tried to turn on subtitles via remote and all the titles said were "Russians speaking", "Russian continues", or "Russian yells". I found that kind of funny. Kind of pissed me off too.

Are there any other movies without hardcoded subtitles? This was on the PS3 btw.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Dora and Fairly Odd Parents and Spongebob will be sorely missed in my home.

Does Amazon Prime have any of those? :(

amrod

Dora and Fairly Odd Parents and Spongebob will be sorely missed in my home.

Does Amazon Prime have any of those? :(

Dora the Explorer Season 1-3
SpongeBob SquarePants Season 1-2

No odd parents... Hulu has only a couple eps of each of those shows too :\

Hulu has

4 eps of Fairly Odd Parents
5 eps of spongebob

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

ABCD: Any Body Can Dance (Drama, Dance, Bollywood)
Girl in Progress (Comedy, Indie)
Percentage (Drama, Crime)
A Royal Affair (Drama, Foreign)
What to Expect When You're Expecting (Comedy)

tj hazuki

Watching the UK sitcom 'The Inbetweeners' again. Hilarious.
tumblr_mfhguiPd8h1rkyycdo1_500.gif

Seanspeed

Banned
Jeff, Who Lives at Home - 2.5/5 - Best thing I can say is that its watchable. A little cheesy and Jason Segel is the worst actor ever(I dont hate him or anything, though), but it wasn't awful.

This is England - 3.5/5 - Pretty heavy. I liked it.

One thing I like about Netflix is that the user ratings are pretty damn good for the most part. Rarely lets me down. For movies, at least. TV ratings all seem to be high no matter what the show(fan voting I guess).

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

500 MPH Storm (Action)
Flying Wild Alaska Season 2 (TV, Reality)
Gold Rush Season 2 (TV, Reality)

Added today on Canadian Stream:

Ice Age: Continental Drift (Family, Animation)
Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown (Action)

Edit- I watched Grave Encounters the other day. No more near as good as some of the praise I have read for it though. The
paradoy of pararnormal tv shows
was great. It starts off a bit slow, but then picks up. I don't think it was particularly scary (I jumped twice, or three times), it had a good creepy vibe to it. It can feel long in certain spots. I'm probably getting tired of the shaky cam genre, because some scenes were tough to watch. Keep your expectations low, and you should walk away with a decent horror movie.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Jeff, Who Lives at Home - 2.5/5 - Best thing I can say is that its watchable. A little cheesy and Jason Segel is the worst actor ever(I dont hate him or anything, though), but it wasn't awful.

This is England - 3.5/5 - Pretty heavy. I liked it.

One thing I like about Netflix is that the user ratings are pretty damn good for the most part. Rarely lets me down. For movies, at least. TV ratings all seem to be high no matter what the show(fan voting I guess).

If you're talking about the star ratings, they are all filtered to your watching habits and what you've rated yourself. And I find them to be extremely accurate for me. I've rarely watched anything that was rated 4 or more stars that I didn't love.

Keep your expectations low, and you should walk away with a decent horror movie.

Unfortunately this is the case for about 99% of the horror movies on Netflix. There are some really good ones but, most of them you have to accept average and look for the good stuff.

It probably doesn't help that as a huge horror fan I've seen pretty much every single movie on the service, most of them when they initially released but, I would still like to see some better content.

Of course that might just be a damning statement towards the state of horror movies in general. There really hasn't been anything new and interesting in a while. There have been good movies but, nothing that we haven't seen multiple times before.

On that note, I'm open to all suggestions for good horror on the 'Flix.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
*snip*

On that note, I'm open to all suggestions for good horror on the 'Flix.

I agree with your post as a whole. But my love of horror movies will make me watch almost all of them at some point.

Which ones have you seen thus far?

A new queue system is in the works:

Complicating matters further, Netflix is currently testing a variety of new interfaces, rolling out variations on its iconic queue to small groups of users. Instead of a customizable queue, some—like me—now see a “list” which can only be sorted according to a handful of options. See the screenshot below, and don’t judge me.

Others apparently see only a list of recommended titles. To judge from this discussion thread, the only thing these new options share is that Netflix’s customers loathe them. According to Netflix spokesman Joris Evers, they’re doing “what’s called A/B testing to see which version of a particular feature/experience results in increased Netflix viewing and better retention of our members.” So if people quit the service, as many of the complainants have threatened to do, that’s a good indication they didn’t like the new look. (Update, 4:10 p.m.: Evers writes in to note that “members who see their queue changed into a list as part of the test and don’t like it can contact customer support and request to leave the test and get their old experience back.”)

Along with losing the ability to customize the order of titles, the new views also omit information like when movies expire, which means some Netflix viewers may be unaware that they’re about to lose a significant chunk of their queue (or “list” or whatever). The handy site InstantWatcher has a long list of movies that won’t be available on Netflix after tonight, but given that the clock is running down fast, we’ve narrowed it down to 12 that are especially worthy, with an emphasis on movies that are hard to find elsewhere. Pick a few and stay in tonight.

Top Bottom