• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Gotta say, Holy Motors (2012) was awesome. Strange, but certainly a really enjoyable watch.
ROFL at the monkey family at the end
In a way it felt kinda like an anthology movie because of how the story flows. It has a real David Lynch vibe to it as well. Fans of the surreal and bizarre should check this one out.

amrod

My internet connection is 5mb/s and when I've watched 24 season 1 on both the PS3 and Xbox 360 it won't switch into HD. Any ideas please? My HTPC (Acer Revo 3610) isn't fast enough to run it in 720p :(

@ Mr Luchador do you think that'd be the case for the UK as well as the US?

I got 100Mbit and it still was going between 720p and 1080p :\

Hemlock Grove, it can be kinda meh at times but there is enough interesting stuff to keep me watching.....interesting and intriguing.

It's good enough that I'm going to finish the first season but, that is mostly because nothing else is on right now that I really want to watch. I want it to be good but....

It's really slow moving. Like molasses in January slow. There are episodes where it seems like it's nothing but rich people bickering. The main characters are really unlikable as well.

Tai Chi Zero is the most fun movie I've seen in ages. Can't wait for the 2nd half. How did I not know about this before yesterday? Amazing how things just fly under my radar.

jakncoke

Banned
Has anyone dvd return gotten slow? It took 9 fucking days for Dogville to return. I put The Men Who Built America: Disc 1 back in the mail box the 19th Disc 2 the 20th and I cant even begin to wonder when those fucking things will get there. The whole point of getting 3 dvds at a time was to get 6 a week so it'll basically cost me less than a dollar a disc. Starting to think Netflix intentionally holding me back to save costs

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Netflix is adding a family plan - 4 streams for $11.99. Link. Thread.

Netflix adds 3 million subscribers last quarter; brings in 1 billion. Link. Thread.

Netflix didn't beat its all-time record, set last quarter, but the company had reason to be very happy as it added 2 million new US streaming subscribers and 1 million new international streaming customers. In the United States, Netflix now has 29 million streaming customers.

Some investors worried about Netflix's decision to release all the episodes of House of Cards and other serial shows at one time rather than once every week like traditional broadcasters. The concern was that people would game the system by joining, watching the shows, and canceling. That's not happening, Netflix said. Out of the millions of free trials during the quarter, management said only 8,000 joined the service and then cancelled.

Great news. Keep it up, Netflix.

amrod

Though Netflix is paying up for originals and certain stuff it values a lot, like its recent Disney deal, it is going to stop buying other stuff from the networks, especially when other people can get the same stuff. For instance: Hastings says the company will let a “broad” deal for Viacom content lapse in May, but that the two companies may negotiate licenses for specific shows. (Translation to parents: May want to have your kids binge on Dora and Diego right now).

So maybe we will see Nick stuff disappear :\

Just finished the first episode of Fringe. Color me intrigued.

FYI, skip episode 21 "Unearthed" listed on season 1. It's a standalone episode that doesn't belong there in the episode flow that was stuck in ther since its apparently an orphan episode.

Confused the hell out of me when I watched it in between the season 1 finale and season 2 opening.

RedAssedApe

Banned
stock price jumped a ton after hours. i think $200+ now? wish i had bought some when it dropped to under $70. analysts and their damn bear-ish predictions. Rocco Pandola form thestreet.com in particular...does he have a personal vendetta against reed hastings or something?

pachter too but at least he only brings it up when he's asked instead of writing an article about how netflix is going to fail every week. :p

stock price jumped a ton after hours. i think $200+ now? wish i had bought some when it dropped to under $70. analysts and their damn bear-ish predictions. Rocco Pandola form thestreet.com in particular...does he have a personal vendetta against reed hastings or something?

pachter too but at least he only brings it up when he's asked instead of writing an article about how netflix is going to fail every week. :p

Netflix un-bomba!

FYI, skip episode 21 "Unearthed" listed on season 1. It's a standalone episode that doesn't belong there in the episode flow that was stuck in ther since its apparently an orphan episode.

Confused the hell out of me when I watched it in between the season 1 finale and season 2 opening.

when should Episode 21 be watched?

Kaladin

when should Episode 21 be watched?

From wikipedia:

Though the episode was produced at the end of the first season "Unearthed" first aired during the second season, on January 11, 2010, in a one-time timeslot. An estimated 7.79 million viewers tuned into the episode, giving it a "whopping" ratings improvement over its best ratings of the season. It was included in the second season's DVD release as a special feature. The episode was almost unanimously disliked by critics, with one reviewer calling it "a stinker that should have remained safely out of public view."

I'm going to go with never.

It fits in season 1, not 2. Mainly because of a certain character that appears in it. If you watch it in 2 without knowing it was originally in season 1, it will throw you for a loop when that character randomly appears.

iirate

Well, I finally watched Sherlock. What was keeping me? Watched S1 E1 yesterday, finished the second season less than an hour ago. Really fun show.

Musolf815

The Visioneers is a good movie. Zach Galifanakis is in it but, he's not in his usual role of Alan.

I've tried to start season four 3 times now and I still can't make it through the first episode. I'm not sure what that says about the quality of it but, I thought it should have ended at season three so I have a hard time getting into it.

There is some really great stuff in S4, but the overarching plot is terrible (and has a terrible payoff at the end of the season). That said, I loved the fifth season.

ok will do, I have fallen in love with this show. So much better than X FIles

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

Thanks for the heads up.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Expiring May 22nd:

Ahh Real Monsters
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron
All Grown Up (Rugrats)
Angry Beavers

Back at the Barnyard
The Backyardigans
Basketball Wives
Beavis and Butt-head
Blues Clues

Chappelle's Show
Danny Phantom
Deadliest Warrior
Dora the Explorer
Drake & Josh

Drawn Together

The Fairly OddParents
The Fresh Beat Band
Go Diego Go
The Hard Times of RJ Berger

Hey Arnold!
The Hills
iCarly
Invader Zim
The Jeff Dunham Show

Jersey Shore
Kenny vs. Spenny
Laguna Beach
MANswers
Mighty B

Mob Wives
The Naked Brothers Band
Nick Swardson's Pretend Time
Ren and Stimpy
Ren & Stimpy: Adult Party Cartoon

Reno 911
Roast of...Bob Saget, Charlie Sheen, David Hasselhoff, Flavor Flav, Roseanne, William Shatner
Rocko's Modern Life
Rugrats

Russell Brand in NYC

The Sarah Silverman Program
Shorties Watchin' Shorties
Skins (U.S.)
SpongeBob SquarePants
Teen Mom

Ugly Americans
Viva La Bam
Wildboyz
Workaholics
Yo Gabba Gabba!

So much content, so little time. :/

aasoncott

I'm only ever in the Canadian thread, so this feels kind of like foreign territory, but I just wanted to let people know that the US version of What's New On Netflix just went into (proper) beta.

A little history: getting lists of new and expiring movies has always been really annoying for Netflix users in Canada, so I created What's New On Netflix with input from NeoGAF and RedFlagDeals to ease the pain. It kind of spiralled out of control, and now it's the largest Netflix site in Canada. Anyway, lots of people nagged me to do a US version of the site...so I finally did. And here it is. Obviously there are a handful of American sites already like this one, but they seem to be dropping like flies. And more competition never hurt, right?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Why are all the nick shows getting taken off?

That's a huge part of the library.

Netflix is letting the Viacom deal expire. Netflix is moving towards a strategy of selective licensing contracts, rather than broad ones.

In other words, rather than pay someone, like Viacom, for a crap ton of content, including stuff that streamers barely watch, they are going to pay Viacom for their more popular content.

Think of it like when you have to buy 10 plus unwanted channels, just to get the one or two that you do want.

I'm only ever in the Canadian thread, so this feels kind of like foreign territory, but I just wanted to let people know that the US version of What's New On Netflix just went into (proper) beta.

A little history: getting lists of new and expiring movies has always been really annoying for Netflix users in Canada, so I created What's New On Netflix with input from NeoGAF and RedFlagDeals to ease the pain. It kind of spiralled out of control, and now it's the largest Netflix site in Canada. Anyway, lots of people nagged me to do a US version of the site...so I finally did. And here it is. Obviously there are a handful of American sites already like this one, but they seem to be dropping like flies. And more competition never hurt, right?

I will add this to the OP. Never hurts since I know of only 3 or 4 such sites.

amrod

Why are all the nick shows getting taken off?

That's a huge part of the library.

Hastings says the company will let a “broad” deal for Viacom content lapse in May, but that the two companies may negotiate licenses for specific shows.

:(

Wonder if they will take it off other regions too

YOU'RE the creator?

Well now I can personally thank you. The canadian site has been a life saver. Thanks.

fenners

Hastings says the company will let a “broad” deal for Viacom content lapse in May, but that the two companies may negotiate licenses for specific shows.

:(

Wonder if they will take it off other regions too

They better get Rugrats back. My son /loves/ that show.

Anyone else having issues with PS3's netflix app after the latest update?, it says "the selection is not currently available" or something and won't load up anything at all... anyone?

Aiii

So not worth it
Anyone else having issues with PS3's netflix app after the latest update?, it says "the selection is not currently available" or something and won't load up anything at all... anyone?

Had that, start it up by holding start and select for a while as it boots. It will ask you to reset the account, click yes. Restart the program and log in again, that will fix your issues.

cakefoo

Normally I would complain about redundant websites, but I actually prefer this one to the others I visit on a weekly basis. I like the layout, it's very eye-catching. I like how the info is perfectly compact, so my eyes don't get tired reading summaries.

The RT/IMDB info is a welcome addition too, but as you're probably aware, some titles aren't showing it, and I was wondering if that is a priority for you to improve on in the future.

Top Bottom