• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What the fuck is their problem? Can they not afford QA testing or do they just love mercilessly trolling their userbase ala Google via Youtube?

"let's not beta test this change with a control group, just roll it out for all paying customers and make them call up customer service if they don't like it!"

douchebag_CEO.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
What the fuck is their problem? Can they not afford QA testing or do they just love mercilessly trolling their userbase ala Google via Youtube?

"let's not beta test this change with a control group, just roll it out for all paying customers and make them call up customer service if they don't like it!"

douchebag_CEO.jpg

lol...ps3 owners have been subject to this shit in the past

vazel

Banned
The content we're losing this month and next month is really depressing. My queue is being nearly halved. I almost feel like cancelling.

The last time this much content was lost was with Starz but I didn't care when Starz content went away as their PQ quality was usually shitty.

I agree with your post as a whole. But my love of horror movies will make me watch almost all of them at some point.

Which ones have you seen thus far?

I've seen a lot of them. It might be easier to post what I haven't seen on it at this point...lol. Like you, I will watch them because I love the genre. I'm looking for any hidden gems people may have come across more than anything.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I've seen a lot of them. It might be easier to post what I haven't seen on it at this point...lol. Like you, I will watch them because I love the genre. I'm looking for any hidden gems people may have come across more than anything.

Lol, post the list. I always post this, but it is my favorite, The shrine, was one of the best ones I have seen.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
PSY・S;56383696 said:
How do I know what's leaving my queue?

Pull up your queue. On the the far right, before the 'X' to remove, there is 'notes'. Under there, it will tell you stuff that is expiring two weeks before it does.

Ran rp

Pull up your queue. On the the far right, before the 'X' to remove, there is 'notes'. Under there, it will tell you stuff that is expiring two weeks before it does.

I see, thanks!

I guess I'm lucky. 173 items in my queue but only 3 will leaving for now.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
PSY・S;56387692 said:
I see, thanks!

I guess I'm lucky. 173 items in my queue but only 3 will leaving for now.

Today's massive content expiring is overblown. The one to look out for is the Viacom deal. Set to expire on the 22nd. Full list at the top of this page (or last page if you are on 50ppp).

Aiii

So not worth it
Today's massive content expiring is overblown. The one to look out for is the Viacom deal. Set to expire on the 22nd. Full list at the top of this page (or last page if you are on 50ppp).

Even that is not as big as it's made out to be. Unless you're really into Nickelodeon or Jersey Shore or The ComedyCentral Roast's or something.

What I meant was that on the Xbox it said "Portlandia (27 Episodes)" but there wasn't actually that many. My GF saw that and thought "sweet... new series is up!" but was grumpy after finding there wasn't actually 27 episodes available.

As a follow-up to this, just thought I'd mention that I just received an email from Netflix saying that 2 more seasons of Portlandia have been added and are ready to stream right now.

Hopefully this'll stop my GF from whinging at me, lol.

Lol, post the list. I always post this, but it is my favorite, The shrine, was one of the best ones I have seen.

OK, here goes...

• Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet
  • Mask Maker
  • The Shrine
  • Lovely Molly
  • The Bleeding House
  • All of the Hellraiser movies available
  • Ted Bundy
  • The Evil Dead (not really horror per se but, still)
  • The Traveler
  • Stake Land
  • The Grudge 3
  • Devil Seed
  • The Awakening
  • Blood River
  • Scream 4
  • Grave Encounters 1 and 2
  • Slither
  • The Hole
  • The Pact
  • Dark House
  • Vile
  • V/H/S
  • Primal
  • The Afflicted
  • Evil Remains
  • All of The Howling movies
  • Alphabet Killer
  • Red Mist
  • The Caller
  • A Darker Reality
  • The Theatre Bizarre
  • Suvival of the Dead
  • Messages Deleted
  • Yellow Brick Road (hidden gem)
  • Dead Season
  • Hell
  • Apartment 143
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Hunger
  • Rosewood Lane
  • The Ward
  • Devil's Rock
  • A Horrible Way to Die
  • Playback
  • Insidious
  • Werewolf: The Beast Among Us
  • ATM
  • Medium Raw
  • Darkness Falls
  • Absentia
  • The Devil Inside
  • Don't Be Afraid of the Dark
  • Tucker and Dale Vs Evil (not really horror but, great)
  • Forget Me Not
  • The Clinic
  • Tamara
  • The House of the Devil
  • Woman
  • Pontypool
  • Wake the Witch
  • Dead Girl
  • Exit Humanity
  • Carrie
  • Hidden
  • All Hostels
  • Pet Semetary
  • Psycho
  • Quaratine 2
  • 9 Dead
  • Tales From the Crypt - all
  • Madison County
  • Remains
  • Land of the Dead
  • Day of the Dead
  • Red State
  • The Prophecy
  • The Snowtown Murders
  • The Open Door
  • Paranormal Activity 1-4
  • Bag of Bones
  • Animals
  • Black Death
  • Ed Gein
  • Barrio Tales
  • Blood the Last Vampire
  • Human Centipede 1 and 2
  • Doghouse
  • The Faculty
  • Chain Letter
  • House
  • Dead Cert
  • Children of the Corn - almost all
  • We Are the Night
  • Omen series
  • Dahmer
  • Scream 1, 2, and 3 as well
  • 11/11/11
  • Stigmata
  • Dracula 3000
  • Poltergeist - all of them
  • All of the Chucky movies
  • All of the Halloween movies
  • Bitten
  • Demon Kiss
  • Audition
  • Let the Right One In

Those are the ones I found in the horror section that I've watched. It's is not all inclusive but, it's a start. I haven't watched every single one of these on Netflix but, I've seen them one way or another...mostly on Netflix.

My favorites of the genre are vampire, gore, zombie, and supernatural.

Kaladin

It was decent, definitely worth watching. I also really enjoyed The Shrine, Yellow Brick Road, Apartment 143, and Lovely Molly if you're looking to pick from that list.

I noticed The Innkeepers wasn't on your list, if you don't mind a slow burn horror movie with a payoff that some consider on the meh side it's worth a watch.

I at least enjoyed the hour and a half or so.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn, you have seen a lot lol. Wait,Tales From the Crypt is on streaming? Are those the movies or the episodes?

Since you have seen the majority of horror flicks, I was wondering if you could put together a top 10 list for the thread? I feel horror, and tv shows are the most frequently asked recommendations.

Thankfully userscripts works perfectly for my queue, for now that is.
jia4Bajgp9nNx.JPG

Damn, you have seen a lot lol. Wait,Tales From the Crypt is on streaming? Are those the movies or the episodes?

Since you have seen the majority of horror flicks, I was wondering if you could put together a top 10 list for the thread? I feel horror, and tv shows are the most frequently asked recommendations.

Yeah, I could put one together. Regarding Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight, Ritual, and Bordello of Blood are all on streaming for me.

aasoncott

Normally I would complain about redundant websites, but I actually prefer this one to the others I visit on a weekly basis. I like the layout, it's very eye-catching. I like how the info is perfectly compact, so my eyes don't get tired reading summaries.

The RT/IMDB info is a welcome addition too, but as you're probably aware, some titles aren't showing it, and I was wondering if that is a priority for you to improve on in the future.

Thanks!

Yeah, the RT/IMDB integration is...lacking. Right now it just searches RT for a movie with the exact same name and year, but it has to be exact. So, no false positives (which was a huge problem when I launched the site), but a lot of misses because of subtle naming differences (or sometimes the year is off, not really sure how that happens). I need to see if there's a better way to cross-reference my data with RT.

Kaladin

I wish Netflix would implement some kind of content shuffle feature, like a create your own channel thing. You could select a mix of television or movies or both and then tell it what genres you want to see and tell it whether you care if it plays series out of order.

This would be amazing, sort of like create your own television channel.....and of course they'd have to get rid of the 3 episode time out feature also.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Nothing on the American stream, here is what was added on the Canadian stream today:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Action, Horror)
Less Than Zero (Crime, Drama)
Lucky (Romantic, Comedy)
Rugrats Go Wild (Animation, Family)
Shameless (TV, Drama, UK)
Something Borrowed (Romantic, Comedy)
Strange Days (SciFi, Thriller)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (Classic, Action, SciFi)

Kaladin

Nothing on the American stream, here is what was added on the Canadian stream today:

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Action, Horror)
Less Than Zero (Crime, Drama)
Lucky (Romantic, Comedy)
Rugrats Go Wild (Animation, Family)
Shameless (TV, Drama, UK)
Something Borrowed (Romantic, Comedy)
Strange Days (SciFi, Thriller)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (Classic, Action, SciFi)

Damn you Canada, always getting the good stuff before us.

The movie Adrift wasn't bad (NA).

I watched 8 episodes of Fringe, but I'm not that interested. Recently started watching Mad Men, great show. The Walking Dead is pretty good too.

I wish Netflix would implement some kind of content shuffle feature, like a create your own channel thing. You could select a mix of television or movies or both and then tell it what genres you want to see and tell it whether you care if it plays series out of order.

This would be amazing, sort of like create your own television channel.....and of course they'd have to get rid of the 3 episode time out feature also.

That would be fantastic. I've been saying you should be able to shuffle specific shows, as well. For example, I could start up Star Trek: The Next Generation and set it to "shuffle" so that it would play random episodes. Presently, you can either pick and choose after each episode or you can let them "auto-play" in chronological order. It's weak.

dojokun

Banned
Movies: (all these happen to be foreign, but I figure people know about the American ones)

1) Outrage. Yakuza movie about struggles between different families in one supergang. All of Takeshi "Beat" Kitano's movies are Yakuza movies as far as I'm aware. I started liking Kitano because of "Brother" (2000), a Yakuza movie where the main character gets in some Yakuza trouble and so he leaves Japan to go stay with his younger brother. He can't escape his mafia ways and ends up getting in trouble in America, too. I recommend "Brother" but it's not on Netflix. But it seems highly influenced by a Russian movie of the same title, which leads to my second recommendation.

2) Brother ("Brat" in Russian). Not to be confused with the aforementioned 2000 Japanese movie, this is the 1997 movie that seems to have inspired the Japanese one. In this movie, the main character has recently has gotten back from serving in the military, and when he goes to find his older brother, the older brother has gotten involved in the mafia, and is in some trouble. In the process of protecting his older brother, the younger brother starts to make a name for himself.

3) Dororo. This is a Manga inspired movie. I don't read Manga but I really liked this movie. The story is fairly original and yet not too complicated. A man makes a pact with 47 demons that if he gives the body of his son to them, they will give him the ability to rule the world. The main character of the movie is the son, whose body was given to the 47 demons. Each demon got one body part. Every time he kills a demon, he gets back the body part that the demon had.

TV Comedies:

1) It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Seinfeld was my #1 show for the past like, 7 years. Thanks to Netflix, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is my new #1. Characters, plot, dialogue. The show has it all. But if you want to watch the 8th season, Netflix doesn't have it. I caved and bought the 8th season on Amazon Instant Video. Can't wait for the 9th season.

2) The IT Crowd. British comedy center on three people who work in an IT Department. The manager of the group is actually computer-illiterate but she convinced an equally computer-illiterate owner that she is good with computers and that's how she got the job. There were only 4 seasons and then it was cancelled, but go watch it! I love the scriptwriting. Moss makes this show IMO.

3) Archer. Great animated series. Sterling Archer is a spy and the owner/boss of the agency he works for (ISIS) is his own mom. As far as his character is, imagine an immature James Bond. Still gets women, but in a fratboy-douchebag way, not with British charm like Bond.

4) Workaholics. A deadpan that is about three roommates who just recently graduated. They are also co-workers at a telemarketing company.

Top Bottom