• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

True adults know that you can get the best raunchy humor out of the most innocent of games.

Snake Oil is 100x better a drunken party game than CAH could wish to be.

Jakoo

True adults know that you can get the best raunchy humor out of the most innocent of games.

Snake Oil is 100x better a drunken party game than CAH could wish to be.

I just bought Snake Oil Party Potion as kind of a more-creative outlet for the type of fun our group once got out of CAH. I am hoping to kind of ween the people that want to play CAH onto it with time, since it seems to be a lot less predictable.

ultron87

Snake Oil is real good, but it takes a certain group. It basically requires doing improv in front of everyone, so some people will naturally be not in to that.

Experien

Anyone have experience with Tannhauser? I'm curious about it and since it is old, i have to be serious if I want to throw money down on it.

Palmer_v1

I like Concept a lot too, but it's sorta hard to play it as a party game when it's difficult for everyone to even be in a position to see the board.

I've also found it more fun to just always do the difficult ones, though every now and then, people go brain dead.

We decided to do Easter Island for one. We got them to lock in on easter immediately, and then spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get Island out of them. Somehow, a person in their late 20s in the group, had never heard of Easter Island.

Cards Against Humanity is a really fun game the first time you play it. After that it drops off significantly because you've seen the questions and answers. Questionable jokes can easily be policed by voting and audible groans. The Shut Up & Sit Down review, like the name of the site itself, made me never want to go back. Any kind of authoritarian vibe and I'm out.

Deadstar

I like Concept a lot too, but it's sorta hard to play it as a party game when it's difficult for everyone to even be in a position to see the board.

I've also found it more fun to just always do the difficult ones, though every now and then, people go brain dead.

We decided to do Easter Island for one. We got them to lock in on easter immediately, and then spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get Island out of them. Somehow, a person in their late 20s in the group, had never heard of Easter Island.

How do you handle gesturing and speaking? The rules say you can say "Yes" but that kind of cheapens it to me. The other people can just keep asking questions and it seems to make it too easy.

Anyone have any experience with Descent 2.0? I'm going to be running our first game soon. Thinking of starting with the Lair of the Wyrm mini campaign so that everyone can get used to the gameplay.

Mista Koo

I really want to try Snake Oil but never had the chance. I can't justify buying it since I have bought Dixit and Concept recently.

Somehow, a person in their late 20s in the group, had never heard of Easter Island.
Why is that surprising? Can you name every place on earth?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Snake Oil is real good, but it takes a certain group. It basically requires doing improv in front of everyone, so some people will naturally be not in to that.

That's why I'm looking forward to the new edition of Funemployed. It's a neat concept requiring improv in a situation most people have done at some point in their lives.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Has anyone listened to the Cardboard! podcast with Rich Sommer? I like the guy and what he does for promoting board games, but had a hard time listening to the first episode. The Modern Family guy really just didn't know anything about board games and the whole thing was just kind of awkward and overlong with the commercials and whatnot.

Neverfade

The Shut Up & Sit Down review, like the name of the site itself, made me never want to go back. Any kind of authoritarian vibe and I'm out.

They consistently crank out some of the very best reviews. You're doing yourself a disservice by judging them based on this one write up.

Edit: (This is particularly directed at you, or anyone) I just want to clarify, I end up disliking as many games that SU&SD likes and much as I agree with them. Most people constantly bitch about reviews just being rules overviews without much critique or analysis. In fact, rules overviews are my favorite types of reviews bar none -- I don't give a shit what Tom Vasel thinks about a game, I need to know how to play it. I'LL know if it will likely work for my group. I do however appreciate SU&SD's approach because they DO offer this critique-y, unique way of thinking about a game that's way more useful than just "I don't like conflict, berp derp, game sucks!"

Deadstar

Has anyone listened to the Cardboard! podcast with Rich Sommer? I like the guy and what he does for promoting board games, but had a hard time listening to the first episode. The Modern Family guy really just didn't know anything about board games and the whole thing was just kind of awkward and overlong with the commercials and whatnot.

I haven't but I find it's best when you're listening to a podcast and at least two people can give their perspective on a game. I like the DLC podcast with Jeff and Christian but when Christian hasn't played the game Jeff is talking about it's just not as fun to listen to.

tm24

I play CAH 5 times a year. The group i play with loves the shocking stuff, but we only play it when we want to remove cards from our hands. We're a clever bunch that loves absurd stuff. I once nearly choked on pizza laughing about a white card being Unlimited Soup, Salad and Breadsticks. I don't know why i found it funny, but my face went red due to laughing. I'm honestly wondering why go after such low hanging fruit.

On the what to buy category, what can people recommend to play with a 11 year old who can use the game as a way to work on their logic and reason? My GF's brother has trouble with that kind of stuff in school yet handles that well in video games. We wanted to see if board games would help and we could help him talk it out since he doesnt like us talking to him while playing video games

Palmer_v1

I really want to try Snake Oil but never had the chance. I can't justify buying it since I have bought Dixit and Concept recently.

Why is that surprising? Can you name every place on earth?

Not every place, but I can probably get quite a few World Heritage sites. It just seems like it gets referenced frequently in pop culture. It seems on par with Stonehenge, Great Pyramids, etc.

hort

Neo Member
Played The Downfall of Pompeii a couple of times since getting it as a graduation gift for the girlfriend. Super solid game with a good bit of strategy in both phases. All of our games have been super close at the end (1 or 2 rescued people difference).

Tried my first dice masters draft last night. I just picked up the xmen starter 2 weeks ago so I'm fairly new, and this was my first time seeing any of the DC stuff. I lost 2 games and the last one we had to stop mid way because the shop was closing for the night. I had the life lead but my opponent had more characters on the board, so I think it could've gone either way at the end.

Still had a lot of fun and got a lot of new dice. Filled out more than a few characters with a full playset from the draft and the other people giving away their extra commons + dice.

emag

Yomi is out on Steam today. It runs pretty well on my ASUS T100 2-in-1, although zooming in on cards when using touch is a bit irritating (have to press-and-hold continuously). Also irritating is playing against expansion characters online (are they available in training/bot mode?). On the plus side, there's cross-play between the mobile, web, and Steam clients.

Played The Downfall of Pompeii a couple of times since getting it as a graduation gift for the girlfriend. Super solid game with a good bit of strategy in both phases. All of our games have been super close at the end (1 or 2 rescued people difference).

My wife picked up Downfall of Pompeii for me as a birthday present last year. It's a little lighter than my games of choice, but it is very solid for a family game (apart possibly from the theme, which has players directing lava to kill fleeing civilians). I could see it going over very well with children/preteens, likely moreso than any other Euro I own.

JSR_Cube

I love Downfall of Pompeii. It is a great gateway game for us masochists. The only thing that I don't like is the setup, especially the card setup rules. It could just be a bit more elegant. Definitely a keeper in my collection though.

When I was younger I used to play this board game that had a pair of big red goggles that inverted and reversed what you were seeing, and you had to perform different tasks correctly while using the googles. I can't remember what that game was called, but I remember it being fun (as a kid).

Any ideas what it's called, as I've totally forgotten.

Xater

I had a couple of fun games with CAH but after playing it like 5 times I was over it.

Have you guys seen the Kickstarter for Home Raiders? as someone who fell out off miniature gaming due to time and money issues with he hobby this looks interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/611224377/home-raiders/?ref=kicktraq

It might have the easiest rules I have ever seen for a miniature game. I also like the idea that all the stuff you just have lying around at home can be your terrain and it is still thematic.

emag

When did Yomi go digital and is the implementation any good?

Quoting myself from a couple posts back:

Yomi is out on Steam today. It runs pretty well on my ASUS T100 2-in-1, although zooming in on cards when using touch is a bit irritating (have to press-and-hold continuously). Also irritating is playing against expansion characters online (are they available in training/bot mode?). On the plus side, there's cross-play between the mobile, web, and Steam clients.

I had a couple of fun games with CAH but after playing it like 5 times I was over it.

Have you guys seen the Kickstarter for Home Raiders? as someone who fell out off miniature gaming due to time and money issues with he hobby this looks interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/611224377/home-raiders/?ref=kicktraq

It might have the easiest rules I have ever seen for a miniature game. I also like the idea that all the stuff you just have lying around at home can be your terrain and it is still thematic.

Wow that looks really fun.

Gurrry

Quoting myself from a couple posts back:

Woah yomi is on steam?!?!

I have a long history with that game. They used to have a version on their website (maybe they still do). I was in a bunch of their community driven online tournament and was one game away from grand finals.

Ill def have to get it!

Anyways, I have been getting into marvel dice masters lately. I really like this game. Im still iffy on a few of the rules because the game isnt very clear. But I like that its an inexpensive game. 99 cents for booster packs is pretty awesome. I think I bought about 15 yesterday, then ordered a lot of 30 for 8 bucks on ebay.

Anyone else play it?

Xero

I've been playing dice masters since shortly after the first one. I like it a lot though A vs men is horribly unbalanced. Loving the DC one since I'm a big DC fan and there is a lot more synergy between having specific teams or groups compared to the last one.

I just picked up Onirim yesterday. Its a little card game for 1-2 players. Though a 1 player game first and foremost. The 2 player works just fine though. I love it. Great for when I don't have anyone to play with. And I can still play with the wife. Comes with 7 expansions and you are traveling through a dream world trying to find 8 doors to escape. while avoiding the nightmares trying to stop you. By playing cards with alternating symbols and trying to match 3 colors. But there is a lot more to it then that. I've played like 8 games and none of them felt the same. I'm always trying to think of how I can get the next door and avoid the nightmare cards. I just recently started adding some of the expansions and they change the game up quite a bit and you can add multiple expansions to really spice it up. Amazing game with a ton of replay value for a 1/2 player game.

Zee Garcia did a review of the second edition which it seems hardly anyone has. Seems a bit under the radar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2c0R5J3U9U

So I have a question.

I'm trying to decide between Stars Wars XWing or Imperial Assault. Which core set is going to give me the best bang for buck? XWing looks like it would get expensive fast if I'm fielding both armies. Imperial Assualt looks a bit more fleshed out in just the core set. I think I'm mainly looking at 2 players and the easier to understand the better. I keep coming back to XWing but as Ive read the core set is pretty lack luster. I'd like the most fleshed out experience for the least investment as I'm not a heavy board gamer.

Any thoughts?

Draxal

So I have a question.

I'm trying to decide between Stars Wars XWing or Imperial Assault. Which core set is going to give me the best bang for buck? XWing looks like it would get expensive fast if I'm fielding both armies. Imperial Assualt looks a bit more fleshed out in just the core set. I think I'm mainly looking at 2 players and the easier to understand the better. I keep coming back to XWing but as Ive read the core set is pretty lack luster. I'd like the most fleshed out experience for the least investment as I'm not a heavy board gamer.

Any thoughts?

XWing core set is much cheaper and routinely on sale compared to Imp Assault (27 bucks compared to 75 for Imp Assault on CSI for example) and Imp Assault can just as expensive with all the miniature expansions especially if you're trying to play for it's skirmish mode.

I think X wing is the better skirmish game and has the better miniatures and you can easily flesh out the core with a couple of packs and have it still be cheaper than Imp Assault.

Xater

XWing core set is much cheaper and routinely on sale compared to Imp Assault (27 bucks compared to 75 for Imp Assault on CSI for example) and Imp Assault can just as expensive with all the miniature expansions especially if you're trying to play for it's skirmish mode.

I think X wing is the better skirmish game and has the better miniatures, but obviously if you want to play Descent with Star Wars miniatures Imp Assault is the way to go.

well the extra miniatures are really not necessary for Imperial Assault. There are tokens that come with it. I think you get much more out of the core Imperial Assault set. X-Wing is quite limited and just after a couple of games you really want more.

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I think my biggest problem with X-Wing is the 2 core set thing which is why I'm considering Imperial Assault

I feel like a better use of $70 is the Core Set and the 2 Aces sets to flesh out both sides with different ships. I looked around the net but everyone seems to push the 2 core set thing. Is it really that necessary? Keep in mind I'm likely never to play this in a tournament, just around the house for fun.

Xater

Thanks for the thoughts guys, I think my biggest problem with X-Wing is the 2 core set thing which is why I'm considering Imperial Assault

I feel like a better use of $70 is the Core Set and the 2 Aces sets to flesh out both sides with different ships. I looked around the net but everyone seems to push the 2 core set thing. Is it really that necessary? Keep in mind I'm likely never to play this in a tournament, just around the house for fun.

People say two core sets because it's a cheaper way to expand the game than buying all the things separately. Just the base game is very limited. When I played I also just got one set and expanded from there with what I wanted. It's totally fine.

Draxal

People say two core sets because it's a cheaper way to expand the game than buying all the things separately. Just the base game is very limited. When I played I also just got one set and expanded from there with what I wanted. It's totally fine.

It's also a cheap way to get the dice and additional templates. Personally, I'd go core set + few expansions first, than double dip into a second base set later on.

Phanatic8390: I think you should post in the official x wing board for recommendations as the players there probably can recommend a better way to budget for your needs than I.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=984377

Gurrry

I play alot of Descent (fucking amazing game btw), and Imperial Assault is alot like that. I have been contemplating picking it up due to its skirmish mode. Descent really doesnt have anything like that. It would be great for 2 players, which is what I mainly do. Although ive never actually played IA before, if its anything like descent, I recommend it.

DrSlek

Saturday night I had my first game of Tzolk'in. It was 2 glorious hours of lunacy and corn.....primarily corn. About half an hour into the game we realized that every second word we were speaking was corn. At which corn became 75% of all words spoken and 100% of all puns.

sassy robot

Neo Member
If you're playing CAH over Say Anything! you're doing it wrong.

PS. Why is everyone not playing Monikers?
I just tried that for the first time this Friday! It seemed pretty fun, but we were all drunk by that point in the night, so we were hilariously bad once we got to round 2.

Superfight! is also a cute party game that fills the CAH void when it grows stale.

Xater

Saturday night I had my first game of Tzolk'in. It was 2 glorious hours of lunacy and corn.....primarily corn. About half an hour into the game we realized that every second word we were speaking was corn. At which corn became 75% of all words spoken and 100% of all puns.

Sounds like a good time.

joelseph

5th faction announced for upcoming Imperial Settlers expansion, The Atlanteans. Their buildings sink at the end of the game and they must rely on their own technology to score victory points. So cool, can't wait to get my hands on it.

espher

Anyways, I have been getting into marvel dice masters lately. I really like this game. Im still iffy on a few of the rules because the game isnt very clear. But I like that its an inexpensive game. 99 cents for booster packs is pretty awesome. I think I bought about 15 yesterday, then ordered a lot of 30 for 8 bucks on ebay.

Anyone else play it?

I have three starter sets (Avengers vs. X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and the Justice League or w/e set that just came out) that I've been using to sample the game with friends. Much like M:tG, people enjoy it, but nobody wants to buy everything, so I'm debating becoming 'the guy' with all the dice because I really like what I've played of the game... but I'm in a spot because I don't want to buy single packs knowing that I'll eventually buy more than a box worth and the box is so much cheaper haha. I think it'd cost me CAD$55 taxes-in for a box of 60 of the Marvel and for the larger boxes of the others (not sure how many) it was CAD$87 taxes-in. That's a not-cheap investment even if I stagger it, esp. since I want to get other board game/expansions...

MWnpWZM.jpg

I got this used and I didn't realize how beautiful the components are. The figures are also very details and just beg to be paint. I don't know if I want to go down that road. It's been almost 15 years since I last painted any models.

I am playing this with my son and the game is a marvel in its simplicity. I really like the tension of every times the Genestealers edged up closer to the Space Marine and you just watch those dice rolls with anticipation. Too bad GW is such as shitty game company, they do put out nice product.

I'm thinking about getting my bf this plastic Catan board as part of his birthday present - does anyone have any experience with it? I'd love to get a wooden board but can't see any reasonably priced that ship to the UK. I'm going to get him the game as well as we don't have it and he loves it. But if anyone has some recommendations for games that can be played by 2 or 3 (or more, but there are 3 of us in the flat so it's fine if it's only 2 and 3) I'd love to hear them - we already have a bunch of games including Pandemic, Dominion, BSG, Betrayal at the House on Haunted Hill and Dixit).

Karkador

Banned
I'm thinking about getting my bf this plastic Catan board as part of his birthday present - does anyone have any experience with it? I'd love to get a wooden board but can't see any reasonably priced that ship to the UK. I'm going to get him the game as well as we don't have it and he loves it. But if anyone has some recommendations for games that can be played by 2 or 3 (or more, but there are 3 of us in the flat so it's fine if it's only 2 and 3) I'd love to hear them - we already have a bunch of games including Pandemic, Dominion, BSG, Betrayal at the House on Haunted Hill and Dixit).

It's a good time to buy Catan; the new printing of it just came out, and it's said to be higher quality components, especially where it was lacking the most (the thickness of the cardboard).

As for a game for 2-3, Haggis is very good with either number, although it's more of a regular card game than something dressed up with theme.

It's kind of a hard range to shop for, because while a lot of games market themselves as "for 2-4 players", they are often just so-so with 2; a lot of the player interaction that works well in a 3 or 4 way contest just falls apart when it's head-to-head.

Are you perhaps interested in something more complex than what you currently have?

Blizzard

Banned
Tzolk'in looks interesting, and I imagine people who are fond of complex worker-placement games would love it (I normally suck at those games).

However, the unpainted gears look like so much work if you want them to look nice (minor issue), and finding anyone who wants to spend 3-4 hours trying the game for the first time (major issue) is tough.

I'm basing the 3-4 hour thing off a comment from someone who said it took that long the first game for 4 players.

Tzolk'in looks interesting, and I imagine people who are fond of complex worker-placement games would love it (I normally suck at those games).

However, the unpainted gears look like so much work if you want them to look nice (minor issue), and finding anyone who wants to spend 3-4 hours trying the game for the first time (major issue) is tough.

I'm basing the 3-4 hour thing off a comment from someone who said it took that long the first game for 4 players.
If you are taking 4 hours to play Tzolkin you are doing something totally wrong. The game has a fixed round length and its not long. I should say that long. A game of Tzolkin should be under two hours - two hours max.

Some friends gave me Cash n Guns for my birthday, so much fun.

We also played KoT and found it pretty bad, then we realized we were playing the game wrong. Still, not very good. Will try again anyway.

Top Bottom