• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Keasar

Yup I live in Denmark so shipping is insane here too.
Currently that's the one thing holding me back to.

To be fair, now when looking at the War of Indines remake Kickstarter, seems like the shipping cost was around the same price so it isnt really any higher than before.

Xater

Well, this is a GW product, so it's much more than just a board game to it's target audience.

15 Cultists - $30

3 CSM - $10

Chaos Terminator Sorcerer (unavailable), best counterpart is Plastic Chaos Termie Lord – $25

4 Assassin (unavailable, but the old ones are $16 each)

Total for minis only: $129 (at least, but likely way more)

If this is a limited run, the mini prices will sky rocket overnight. They always do.

As far as the game itself, it had me at 4 player co-op!

Problem is their minis are already overpriced. All I can do looking at this game is that it would be half the price from FFG.

Lyng

To be fair, now when looking at the War of Indines remake Kickstarter, seems like the shipping cost was around the same price so it isnt really any higher than before.

That is true. It is consistent with lvl99 usual EU pricing, however this vastly higher then most other boardgame kickstarters. Even from much smaller companies.

Problem is their minis are already overpriced. All I can do looking at this game is that it would be half the price from FFG.

From FFG the minis would be half the size and rubbery plastic. They are expensive yes, but GW plastics are some of the best quality on the market.

Browny

Banned
There was a key phrase on the Assassins announcement e-mail, and it went along the lines of "This is currently the only way to get your hands on these new miniatures"; currently being the operative word. I would love the models for my cabinet (having sworn off all new GW releases), but spending £75 is a little OTT for my liking. I have a friend buying the game anyway, so it's purely a case of the models for me.

EYEL1NER

Ugh, I definitely know that I've got a buying problem now. The One Night Resistance KS campaign ends and half an hour and I am looking pretty hard at it. I own One Night Ultimate Werewolf as of two weeks ago but do not anticipate having enough friends to play it anytime soon. I also own The Resistance (and Avalon) but have not played it either since I don't really have enough people to play with. Part of me wants to get it for the same reasons I got ONUW and Resistance; I think to myself that at some point I might move somewhere where I am part of a gaming group or make gaming friends or host social get-together for other possible friends who could be talked into playing. Another part of me wants to get it for the Coup promos to go with my KS edition of Coup and Coup Reformation and Coup promos from the Resistance expansion KS last year. But then again, I haven't played Coup either. Yet I still haven't ruled out slapping $25 down for this project.

I've got more money than sense sometimes. If only money could buy friends and friendliness...

EDIT: I'm weak. Onto "The Stack" it will go. Maybe I can have another three or so kids and in 15 years or something we can break all of these party games I keep buying out and play as a family. Because that totally sounds fun...

Phthisis

Second week in a row my weekly group has played Super Dungeon Explore: The Forgotten King.

Super meh. It's probably the most fiddly and poorly written set of rules for the grid-based fantasy-themed dungeon adventure genre. Would definitely rank the D&D Adventure series or Descent much higher over this system. The models are nice, but I want a well-designed game with actual development done on it.

l9r5Afx.jpg
Awwww yiiiis!

My mom came to visit and she brought this along. She found it above the china cabinet at her place. Opening it up was like going back in time. I had so much fun with this growing up and really glad we never got rid of it. The best part is its 100% complete and actually in good condition with no broken pieces.

Karkador

Banned
Second week in a row my weekly group has played Super Dungeon Explore: The Forgotten King.

Super meh. It's probably the most fiddly and poorly written set of rules for the grid-based fantasy-themed dungeon adventure genre. Would definitely rank the D&D Adventure series or Descent much higher over this system. The models are nice, but I want a well-designed game with actual development done on it.

I've seen people in my game group play this twice now, and I don't know what they're getting out of it after each 5 hour session. I don't understand that part of tabletop gaming.

Ohnonono

I want the new D&D game so bad. I have a friggin sealed copy of Shadows Of Brimstone that maybe I can trade to someone local (the shipping would be nuts) cause I don't have the cash for it.

Experien

I like the small expansion stuff like this, I didn't pick up the large expansion as I really dislike the huge additions and adding extra boards to games.

The large expansion adds a TON! 8 Investigators, 3 ancient ones, a load more cards, a new token/action to take on your turn, prelude cards, and another set of mysteries.

Truth be told, I've played the game twice since this expansion. Board was least favorite part but it is only is used if playing against a certain elder or a certain mystery comes up. I'd say it might be worth it for all the new people and cards and just set aside the board, one elder thing, and anything related to the board.

I played Libertalia at lunch the other day, and it seems pretty darn good. I went in blind. You get identical hands in the first "week" to all players in the game, simultaneously select cards to play, and carry over unplayed cards into additional weeks. The first "week" I had a few guys in my hand that was like "oh okay, these are the bad cards that you try to dump when it's least damaging". Then by the third week, when I was still left with a few of them, I ended up making a pretty sweet combo of Mutineer (every night kills another member of your den, giving you 2 money), Witch Doctor (when played, gives you 2 money for every dead crew member), and I don't remember the others but basically I never had more than one guy in my den the whole week but still raked in the cash.

Neverfade

I played Libertalia

Did you play with Monkey?

Oh man Monkey is great.

For a while I've been wanting a card based civ game. I've been weighing Through the Ages, Nations, and Imperial Settlers, and thinking while Through the Ages might be the better game, Nations would probably be played more.

But man, Imperial Settlers' art!

Then this happened: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/blog/post/review-nations-imperial-settlers/

It's like they're inside my miiiind.

As a long time Trzewiczek hater.... Imperial Settlers is awesome. Do it.

Karkador

Banned
The auctioning mechanic kinda turned me off to Patchistory. I guess in general, through reviews and seeing it played, it didn't jump out to me, at least, not as much as the others I'm looking into.

For two, it is a bit weird (but I haven't played it with 2 in a while).

hunchback

Can you guy's recommend a good D&D/fantasy board game for the Kindle Fire? I don't have it rooted for Google play so it has to be in the Amazon app store.
Thanks for any info.

Oh man Monkey is great.

Yes, though I might be mixing it up with Parrot, which we also had. If I'm remembering the right card, I shifted two masks onto a guy that also played monkey, but who acted after me, and shifted a total of 3 masks to the guy to his left. If I'm remembering the wrong card, the same thing happened but with parrot :)

I got my copy of Penny Press on Monday and broke it out on Tuesday. It was a hit!

550816_orig.jpg

It's a very thematic game where players take on the roles of newspaper barons who are trying to earn the most prestige.

The game works by having players assign reporters (the meeples) to the stories that are out there (on the board, underneath the red tiles, as pictured). It's important to note that, when it's time to publish, all of the stories your reporters are leading in are claimed, then it's your job to arrange them in such a way to follow the rules:
  • Hottest topic must touch the top of the page
  • Any uncovered spot on your newspaper (bottom player board) incurs the negative points shown
  • Any articles written by your reporters that you can't fit will also incur the full negative value of the story

The meat of the game is the decision-making. Which stories to cover can be based on the shape of the story (how it fits on your paper), it's current value (trending value), it's potential bonus value (that bar on the top of the main board), and competing reporters from other newspapers that may be covering it.

Like Lords of Vegas, it seems that everything you do in Penny Press is related to the newspaper business. There isn't any contrived mechanics that don't thematically fit. It's definitely worth checking out!

Looks rad. How many players max? I try to stay away from 4, my group is big. I'll pull it up on bgg next time I'm at my PC

2 - 5. I think duration is the only thing that changes with the player count (denoted by pennies, which track how many times you publish). Also, something I didn't mention and isn't really shown in the picture is advertisements. Each time you publish, one of the pink 1x1's (an ad) are forced onto your next paper. This makes arranging your next paper much more complicated.

That means, paper one: you have a 4x3 to work with
paper two: Something in the top row is blocked
paper three: Something in the middle row is blocked
etc.

Blizzard

Banned
At a recent games night I played my copy of Libertalia again. It remains one of my favorite games, even though I did horribly this time, and even though I was teaching newer players about it. It still keeps a nice mix of randomness and strategy, it still makes every game different, it still seems fairly balanced, and in general even new people seem to like it.

I also impulse purchased Machi Koro in a Barnes & Noble. I don't think I'd even heard of it, but it looked kind of neat. After getting home and opening it, it appears to be a Japanese import game with nice art and packaging. I like the clear presentation of everything on the rules and cards, and the box has tons of room for expansion cards.

Somehow, the cardboard punch coins were the cleanest to remove from the sheets that I can remember. I don't think ANY of them ended up with the little cardboard tabs on the edge that sometimes happen.

I'm looking forward to trying it if I can find some other players. It seems there is one other expansion out now, and one this summer, so if people like it there's more to look forward to.

Cerity

Any suggestions for more on rails games? I played 2 games of Gloom and a game of Waterdeep tonight and found it just mentally taxing with all the plotting, scheming and strategising.

I've got Betrayal at the House on the Hill on the way but not sure what to get after that.

I've been playing Agricola on the iPad and think it's time to give Euros a real shot. Is there any hope of bringing this to a family game night or will people just glaze over and head back to Scattergories?

Blizzard

Banned
I've been playing Agricola on the iPad and think it's time to give Euros a real shot. Is there any hope of bringing this to a family game night or will people just glaze over and head back to Scattergories?
Have they played Settlers of Catan yet?

Agricola was pretty confusing for me at first and I play complicated games occasionally. I feel like going straight into it would turn people off.

That said, I -did- manage to play it with my parents who are pretty old, so it depends how patient people are. They had played stuff like Catan before.

emag

Any suggestions for more on rails games? I played 2 games of Gloom and a game of Waterdeep tonight and found it just mentally taxing with all the plotting, scheming and strategising.

I've got Betrayal at the House on the Hill on the way but not sure what to get after that.

Loopin' Louie? Maybe a push your luck game like King of Tokyo or Can't Stop would work. Or you could try light social games like Apples to Apples/Cards Against Humanity or Dixit.

EDIT: Or pretty much any zombie-themed game. Last Night on Earth, Zombiecide, City of Horror, Mall of Horror, Zombies!!!, Zombie Fluxx, Munchkin Zombies, Zombie Dice, etc.

Have they played Settlers of Catan yet?

Agricola was pretty confusing for me at first and I play complicated games occasionally. I feel like going straight into it would turn people off.

That said, I -did- manage to play it with my parents who are pretty old, so it depends how patient people are. They had played stuff like Catan before.

I was afraid of that. They haven't played Catan, but I really dislike it. They tend to play a lot of trick taking card games. Maybe I'll try 7 Wonders out on them first.

Blizzard

Banned
I was afraid of that. They haven't played Catan, but I really dislike it. They tend to play a lot of trick taking card games. Maybe I'll try 7 Wonders out on them first.
7 Wonders is more straightforward to me and my family likes it.

I'm not a huge Catan fan but many people love it. I try to learn to just enjoy being around people socially and tolerate the games I don't personally like so that they can have fun too. For example, I would probably NEVER play Munchkin if I had a choice, but a lot of people seem to want to play that and not much else. I figure I can at least survive one game of it per night...even though the last time it took 2.5 hours for like 5 players in Munchkin. ;_;

Karkador

Banned

What do you dislike about Catan?

There are a fair amount of new and interesting trick taking games (like Diamonds) to play. You might also have success with Hanabi.

Oh god Cthulu Wars came out? Oh god it is so expensive ;_;

Yea saw it at a local store, it's so stupid why they made the game so big. Guess it was a big draw for mini fans and kickstarter ppl with loose wallets, but there is no reason the figures and game had to be made so gigantic.

Yea saw it at a local store, it's so stupid why they made the game so big. Guess it was a big draw for mini fans and kickstarter ppl with loose wallets, but there is no reason the figures and game had to be made so gigantic.

I saw it couple weeks ago at local gaming store, it looks ... well really dumb. The game doesn't seems all that fun either. I also saw the new D&D game yesterday, I was surprised that it is out already. (The Temple of Elemental Evil, I haven't play and of the previous D&D and this one got me interested).

So, I have $60.00 Amazon gift card from my B-day, I am deciding between X-Com and Village (I know they are complete opposite spectrum). Problem with Village, it will be hard getting my family to play that, how is X-Com? Listening to gaming podcast seems everyone like it even with the use of app.

Cerity

Loopin' Louie? Maybe a push your luck game like King of Tokyo or Can't Stop would work. Or you could try light social games like Apples to Apples/Cards Against Humanity or Dixit.

EDIT: Or pretty much any zombie-themed game. Last Night on Earth, Zombiecide, City of Horror, Mall of Horror, Zombies!!!, Zombie Fluxx, Munchkin Zombies, Zombie Dice, etc.

Will look into these, Cards against humanity went out of our rotation when we more or less started to memorise the cards and how people would play them. I've considered last night on earth as well but it seemed a bit bare based on the tabletop episode,will look into it more.

I think that's the first time I've heard anyone describe water deep as mentally taxing

It's 100% that group, right off the bat people were more concerned with stopping others from scoring than scoring themselves. If I play it with any other group it's usually a light, relaxing (comparatively) deal.

I can't tell if we all secretly hate each other and only come together for these nights to rub it in each others faces when we win or if we're actually friends at this point.

Xero

It's 100% that group, right off the bat people were more concerned with stopping others from scoring than scoring themselves. If I play it with any other group it's usually a light, relaxing (comparatively) deal.

I can't tell if we all secretly hate each other and only come together for these nights to rub it in each others faces when we win or if we're actually friends at this point.

You guys really want to control waterdeep I guess. Makes sense if everyone is playing it so cutthroat.

Okay so the Imperial Settlers versus Nations thing pretty much came down to I think they're both neat!

But now... what about Nations versus Through the Ages?

I imagine Nations is actually more likely to be played, as it seems a lot more streamlined, but Through the Ages seems like it has far more depth, and goes more modern in the end? Nations also seems like it's more forgiving with military conflict.

So maybe that's the big difference, that Nations seems like it'd actually be played, instead of staying in the closet like Earth Reborn and Twilight struggle are, gently weeping into the night.

But now... what about Nations versus Through the Ages?

The wife and I got Nations specifically hoping that it would be a sort of light-enough-we-might-find-someone-else-to-play-with version of Through the Ages, since TtA is our favorite game but we have a rough time finding anyone to play with us. I think we have a couple people that could handle Nations, and it does scratch a similar itch. I like the military being less inherently confrontational than Through the Ages. That is, you don't choose a player to attack, it's more like a war against the game. Really, the whole game of Nations feels more like playing against the game than playing against the other players. I don't see that as bad necessarily, but it it might put some people off.

I am not sure how much I think Through the Ages necessarily has more depth though. I haven't played enough games of Nations yet to really compare them, but they seem pretty equivalent depth-wise.

Mista Koo

I haven't seen the Wheaton effect in real life until last episode, I went from trying to convince people to play Concept to multiple people asking to play Concept.
Also it was the only time we played with points and a timer. I blame Wheaton for that.

At a recent games night I played my copy of Libertalia again. It remains one of my favorite games, even though I did horribly this time, and even though I was teaching newer players about it. It still keeps a nice mix of randomness and strategy, it still makes every game different, it still seems fairly balanced, and in general even new people seem to like it.
I wasn't sure if I liked it after my first playthrough, but I really enjoyed it after that. The only thing we don't like a lot about it is the tie breaker because of the parrot since it's a very strong card.

Last time I played it I got 49 points on the third week, jumped from 5th to 2nd but still wasn't able to win.

Oh man Monkey is great.
Made someone take revenge on me in a different game we played immediately after!

Top Bottom