• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Karkador

Banned
Usually when I get a big score it's from a super tasty Refine. Center is fairly contested even in 3 player games so I don't rely on it, I'll push on it just to keep someone from sitting on it for several turns.

My initial hand was a lot of mining cards, so I went into the game thinking I'd try a mining strategy, just moving around cashing in on gathered resources, but that Refine card NEVER came up for me (and it was nowhere on the board). I read afterwards that there were only 6 of those cards in the deck. SMH

Have you tried the game with 2?

hort

Neo Member
Anyone here tried Aqua sphere? Every time I see it I can't get over how cool it looks on the back of the box. Does it play as well as it looks? Good with 2 people?

Experien

July 8th is the street day for Dark Moon but it debuts at Origin. Wonder if you pre-order from them, where in the middle you'd get your game.

swoon

Anyone here tried Aqua sphere? Every time I see it I can't get over how cool it looks on the back of the box. Does it play as well as it looks? Good with 2 people?

tt scales really well with two, by using dummy players to block off some spaces and the airlocks hold less users.

it is my favourite feld, easy to learn, but super hard to master.

As a Feld fanboy I do very much like Aquasphere. I'd place its complexity between Castles of Burgandy and Trajan, and it gives you a lot of interesting choices when trying to puzzle out the limited actions you have.

It scales well. I've played it with 2, 3, and 4 players now, and you're always competing as the game changes how cramped the board is for each player count. So, even at 2 players, you're still butting heads over owning the most stations and competing to get the goods first.

As for theme, well, it's certainly the most colorful Feld game to date, and I do really like the theme of it. Some/most will complain that the theme is pasted on, and who knows, probably is, but I think it elevates the game a little.

I still think Burgandy and Trajan are my favorites (I'll spare gushing over some of his others), but I'd say that Aquasphere is my 3rd favorite Feld.

Zalasta

Speaking of long game time, I guess most of you have never played 18xx. I much prefer that over the likes of Civilization and TI.

Phthisis

Speaking of long game time, I guess most of you have never played 18xx. I much prefer that over the likes of Civilization and TI.

That's a corner of the hobby that compels me in a lot of interesting ways, but I have not yet had the opportunity to jump into it. It seems very interesting.

I made another foam core insert this time for Space Hulk. It was probably the most time consuming one so far for me. There are so many components not to mention the miniatures. I hope my measurement is correct for the Battle Foam insert. I try to build insert using foam core but there just isn't enough room in the box and Battle Foam is pretty much the best way considering I think I am going to paint these guys.

UXt2HQHl.jpg

ukX7Tlyl.jpg

I made another foam core insert this time for Space Hulk. It was probably the most time consuming one so far for me. There are so many components not to mention the miniatures. I hope my measurement is correct for the Battle Foam insert. I try to build insert using foam core but there just isn't enough room in the box and Battle Foam is pretty much the best way considering I think I am going to paint these guys.

That looks pretty cool, might be useful for a couple of the games I own. Where do you get your materials?

I made another foam core insert this time for Space Hulk.
That reminds me, I should sell my 2nd edition of Space Hulk. Never really played it then and it just collects dust now. Loved the concept, but just didn't get into it.

I could use some money to buy Baseball Highlights 2045 and Arboretum.

Lupercal

Banned
Can anybody recommend a fun 1v1 card based 'fight' game ?
GF likes Marvel Dice Masters because of the card and would like to explore more options.
She also likes Blood Bowl Team Manager but the theme is not to her liking.

GF likes Marvel Dice Masters because of the card and would like to explore more options.

Games like Summoner Wars, Yomi and Star Realms comes to mind.

I've only played the iOS version of Star Realms and it's a good deck building game for 2 players. Check out some videos for the others.

Palmer_v1

I've only played the iOS version of Star Realms and it's a good deck building game for 2 players. Check out some videos for the others.

BattleCon is literally a fighting game where your moves are input via card combinations.

Xater

Those three would be my recommendation as well if it has to be card based.

Draxal

There's alot of good games that are card based 1 v 1 games, could you narrow it down to a theme that she might like?

Lupercal

Banned
There's alot of good games that are card based 1 v 1 games, could you narrow it down to a theme that she might like?
She loves futuristic stuff, so wh40k conquest might be a good one to show. Battlecon seems nice art, so she might like that aswell.

Lyng

Warhammer 40K Conquest is amazing. Very easy to grasp yet offers lots of strategy.
Is she doesnt mind dice then Summoner Wars is also great.

Oh and Seasons. Seasons is insanely good.

Keasar

Battlecon
pic2407334_md.jpg

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/123123/battlecon-devastation-indines

Hands down the best 1v1 (and it got so many more options like 2v2, 4v1 bossfights, EX mode and more) fighting card game there is. The Devastation of Indines edition has around 30 characters, all completely different from each other in playstyles.

So, wanted to talk about this subject.

People can have huge DVD collections, or Video Game collections, and they have no problems having them all displayed.

Is it different for board games because of the sizes of the boxes? Do you think it's something that should be displayed in the game room alongside other collections, or best hidden off in another room?

Do you consider any collection "too big" or have a threshold when you have to start selling or trading games?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So, wanted to talk about this subject.

People can have huge DVD collections, or Video Game collections, and they have no problems having them all displayed.

Is it different for board games because of the sizes of the boxes? Do you think it's something that should be displayed in the game room alongside other collections, or best hidden off in another room?

Do you consider any collection "too big" or have a threshold when you have to start selling or trading games?

Personal preference but the only thing I'm OK really displaying are console games or BDs that have consistent boxes. DVDs look pretty ugly with their inconsistent boxes and also the wear they accrue. Same for board games but it's way worse. Total matter of personal preference though of course. Also it's more cool to unveil a giant closet of board games than just have them clogging up your living room. ;p

My collection is probably around 250 right now and honestly I think that's way too big. I do try to turn around games and would do so even more if it was easier (posting on ebay, going to the post office etc. is just such a chore). I think even for a superfan there's really no need to go above 100. I realize all these numbers probably sound comical to most people. :p

Karkador

Banned
I'm just asking because my girlfriend would probably be interested in a game that features dog meeples (
...it's really for me, too
)

That looks pretty cool, might be useful for a couple of the games I own. Where do you get your materials?

You can get most of the supply from art and craft store (Michaels) or even Wal-mart carry a lot of craft tool. The most important really is getting good cutting knife and blades. Cutting board help unless you have good place to cut that won't destroy your table. Metal ruler is also nice to have. Then you just need foam board and Elmer's glue.

This site is where I go to learn about cutting and making board, he also has many foam core plan. If you never make any before I suggest follow the plan one and do a few of those until you get a hang of them then you can move to doing stuffs on the fly. That said it's better to at least do some planning.

http://www.orderofgamers.com/category/foamcore-plans/

It had been a long time since the last time I painted model kit so I am a bit rusty (I am actually surprise many of my old hobby tools and paints survived). I did buy couple of new paint bottles and really amaze at how good the modern acrylic paints are. Plus you can just buy readily made black washes (in all kind of colors) and shaders.

EEuSMMNl.jpg

Big improvement over the blue plastics.

sqmRungl.jpg

You can hit the edges of the Space Hulk tiles with a Sharpie marker to make it look better too. It makes a huge difference.
I am pondering that but strangely I like that they do look like cardboard. Weird consider I just spend the morning painting those door stands so they don't look like plastic.

I'm new to this thread, but I created a cardgame (in Swedish, so it's automatically less interesting to many here). Is it okay to hype it around here?

Jakoo

My friends and I have gotten into Seasons as of late. I originally got the game to play with my fiance, but she wasn't really into the gameplay or mechanics whatsoever. Luckily though, the core group of friends I game with took more of a liking to it, and it's hit the table a couple of times. I understand it's more popular as a 2 player game, but we've played a couple rounds 4 player and it's worked out fine for us.

The one weakness we noticed in the game, though, was the Crystal (Victory Point) board. The cubes are too big for four player games for keeping track of the score, and they will shift with the slightest tap of the table. For such a beautifully designed game, I'm surprised at how crummy this aspect of it is.

Since my fiance' happened to have a "40% off your entire purchase" coupon for Michael's, I aimed to try to come up with a better scoring solution that I wanted to share:

These are the new score trackers. Essentially, each player would get one vial to store their crystals in. White crystals are worth 1 VP, blue are worth 5 VP and the big greens ones are worth 20. Since so many aspects of the game involve "stealing" crystals from one another, I feel like it will be more thematic to actually have your own collection of crystals to deal with and trade players depending upon the cards theyve played.

The best part is though, it all fits in the box! Not perfectly, but once the box is closed you don't notice at all.

I'm happy with how it turned out in terms of the look. The whole concept of actually storing crystals in a little cork-topped vial feels very in line with the theme, and the color of the crystals mirror what they are colored on the Crystal track. However, the game needs to hit the table again before I know how good of a solution it is. Hoping to find out on Sunday!

Top Bottom