• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

am_dragon

Mentioned munchkin and got shit on so what is the opinion on this game - Arcadia Quest?

I checked into some videos and already ordered mice and mystics. This looks like fun also if not a take off on munchkin in some ways. I can fight with my friends against the monsters and I can attack them also. Looking to add a few games with cool miniatures to my collection. There was a sale on Super Dungeon Explore today on amazon and the reviews made that game look complicated as shit. This looks a lot more friendly to me and my wife for play with our daughter.

I see a lot of negativity for Munchkins on board gaming sites. The game is fine, it's fun and if you haven't played it it's worth the cost of the base set. I play with my wife and 2 boys, 9 and 12, and everyone really enjoys it. I understand that if you have a super competitive gaming group it could get ugly and long. There is a lot of potential to beat up on the leader and that will draw out the game. If you are playing with a casual group of friends or family Munchkins can be fun and funny.

I wanted a miniatures game as well, and was really stoked for Super Dungeon Explore forgotten king after seeing it at PAX South. After watching a bunch of videos and reading reviews I came to the same conclusion, it doesn't seem like a good place to start.

After some research I settled on Imperial Assault. I got the game this weekend and started reading though the rules. It doesn't seem too bad but there is a fair amount of set up and lots of rules to remember. Most of the recommendations I saw for miniatures games to play with my sons were Descent, Imperial Assault, and Arcadia Quest. Just be aware you are not going to sit down with any of these games, open the box and play, working though the rules on the first pass. I had to set up the tutorial and read the getting started book, look over the rules I didn't understand, and then re-read the getting started and tutorial before I felt comfortable playing though the tutorial for Imperial Assault.

Hey Ecto, I hope you weren't put off by others' opinions on Munchkin. If you like the game, there's really nothing anyone should say to stop you, and you're more than welcome here.

Aa for Mice and Mystics, the game certainly has more bells and whistles and cuteness to it than Munchkin, but be patient with the game (lots of restarts)
Yeah...I was surprised at how difficult Mice and Mystics when we played it. We didn't even make it out of the 2nd room.

Mentioned munchkin and got shit on so what is the opinion on this game - Arcadia Quest?

arcadia-quest.jpg

I checked into some videos and already ordered mice and mystics. This looks like fun also if not a take off on munchkin in some ways. I can fight with my friends against the monsters and I can attack them also. Looking to add a few games with cool miniatures to my collection. There was a sale on Super Dungeon Explore today on amazon and the reviews made that game look complicated as shit. This looks a lot more friendly to me and my wife for play with our daughter.

Munchkin is fun game especially with people new to gaming. We made the mistake by adding too many cards which make the game crazy long and boring. We still play it now and then but we strip out and just play from core box of each themes with just couple of expansion packs added. It also a great game to play with younger kid. It's a good intro game and you will have a lot of fun before you out grow it. For $7.00 you will get your money worth.

I heard and read a lot of good review of Arcadia Quest. I am interested in it but my main gaming partner (my son) just left for his training couple with CMON recent practices have really turn me off from buying their games.

zulux21

After some research I settled on Imperial Assault. I got the game this weekend and started reading though the rules. It doesn't seem too bad but there is a fair amount of set up and lots of rules to remember. Most of the recommendations I saw for miniatures games to play with my sons were Descent, Imperial Assault, and Arcadia Quest. Just be aware you are not going to sit down with any of these games, open the box and play, working though the rules on the first pass. I had to set up the tutorial and read the getting started book, look over the rules I didn't understand, and then re-read the getting started and tutorial before I felt comfortable playing though the tutorial for Imperial Assault.

really?
Mice and mystics as well as the D&D games seem like way better places to start than Decent (I haven't played the other two)

they are both much simpler to learn (at least to me).

plus I vastly prefer the lack of a mastermind the games have. Descent can be fun but a lot of times either the mastermind or the players just don't have fun as the game gets wonky at times and completely becomes one side dominating the other.

Yeah...I was surprised at how difficult Mice and Mystics when we played it. We didn't even make it out of the 2nd room.

it is harder than you would think, but then again most co op games are pretty hard to win if they are well designed as without that there isn't a real sense of accomplishment.

I mean I don't hate shadows over Camelot, but I can't remember the last time I lost when that game was pulled out and we weren't playing with the traitor.

Xater

arcadia-quest.jpg

I haven't played Arcadia Quest, but I have heard it's good. Had an eye on it myself.

Faiz

For every person who hates munchkin there are many others who enjoy it.

I enjoy it! It's not "competitive". It's not very strategic at all. It's sitting around bullshitting with friends and family fun. It works for some, it doesn't for others. Some are overly vehement. Don't let it bother you unless they are directly calling out people for liking it, which isn't generally the case. Even then, let it roll off your back knowing they are just unhappy people. :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For every person who hates munchkin there are many others who enjoy it.

I enjoy it! It's not "competitive". It's not very strategic at all. It's sitting around bullshitting with friends and family fun. It works for some, it doesn't for others. Some are overly vehement. Don't let it bother you unless they are directly calling out people for liking it, which isn't generally the case. Even then, let it roll off your back knowing they are just unhappy people. :D

Munchkin isn't what I'd call competitive, but it encourages you to fuck over the other players. It can be a MAJOR buzzkill for people who aren't big into games or big into that style of game. My wife would HATE Munchkin. Sure, I could actively avoid playing cards that ruin her day, but it defeats one of the main mechanics of the game.

The hate it gets is perfectly viable, but mostly because of the style of game it is. As you said - there are some people who really love it. You're best bet is to hop on over to YouTube and search a play video or review or something. It will give the basic gist of the "fuck you" mechanics present in the game.

Xater

Munchkin isn't what I'd call competitive, but it encourages you to fuck over the other players. It can be a MAJOR buzzkill for people who aren't big into games or big into that style of game. My wife would HATE Munchkin. Sure, I could actively avoid playing cards that ruin her day, but it defeats one of the main mechanics of the game.

The hate it gets is perfectly viable, but mostly because of the style of game it is. As you said - there are some people who really love it. You're best bet is to hop on over to YouTube and search a play video or review or something. It will give the basic gist of the "fuck you" mechanics present in the game.

I don't even think messing with people is the problem. It's just not fun in this game as for example in Cosmic Encounter.

Ohnonono

I can almost taste the Solitaire Expansion for Conflict of Heroes now.... fucking been waiting so long. Please send it cool stuff... it has been like 3 years.

Ecto311

I get the hate/love thing for munchkin. I also enjoy it right now since I am fairly new to the board gaming aside from monopoly and chess. It doesn't take away my enjoyment that soo many don't like it I was joking for the most part in that previous post.

Mainly I was asking about Arcadia because some of the videos praise it as if they are being paid and it makes me wonder. Considering its a huge box kinda expensive and if it sucks I can't really trade it in or sell it for much I don't want to jump in with those videos hyping the game.

Super dungeon has an expansion for $12 on amazon that makes it cheaper than the new game but all the new stuff is added so it seemed like a decent value but still waaaay too complicated for us right now. Shit, smash up was pissing me off because of all the rules and things to keep in mind when trying to fuck up a base with my dino-robots. Also dino-robots is a crappy combination when playing. Zombie wizards is much better - play cards over and over and draw from the discard pile over and over.

Also unless you are friends with the local game store why would you ever go there? I called around and none of them match amazon. If I went there consistently for this new hobby I would be paying almost double in some situations to get my stuff there compared to amazon or stores that match them like toys R us.

Lyng

I get the hate/love thing for munchkin. I also enjoy it right now since I am fairly new to the board gaming aside from monopoly and chess. It doesn't take away my enjoyment that soo many don't like it I was joking for the most part in that previous post.

This is very important. If you like a game then thats perfectly fine. The less you care about others oppinion on games you like the better. If the game is fun for you and who ever you play with then thats a good thing.

And if Munchkin can be a stepping stone into the wonderfull world of designer boardgames then thats a good thing.

As for arcadia quest, maybe take a look at the Watch it Played channel on Youtube, there he has a playthrough of the game, where he plays vs his son. That will give you a good indication on whether or not the game is for you or not.

Ohnonono

Mainly I was asking about Arcadia because some of the videos praise it as if they are being paid and it makes me wonder. Considering its a huge box kinda expensive and if it sucks I can't really trade it in or sell it for much I don't want to jump in with those videos hyping the game.

Super dungeon has an expansion for $12 on amazon that makes it cheaper than the new game but all the new stuff is added so it seemed like a decent value but still waaaay too complicated for us right now. Shit, smash up was pissing me off because of all the rules and things to keep in mind when trying to fuck up a base with my dino-robots. Also dino-robots is a crappy combination when playing. Zombie wizards is much better - play cards over and over and draw from the discard pile over and over.

Also unless you are friends with the local game store why would you ever go there? I called around and none of them match amazon. If I went there consistently for this new hobby I would be paying almost double in some situations to get my stuff there compared to amazon or stores that match them like toys R us.

They don't match Amazon and online stores because they can't. You shop there usually if its somewhere you go to play so that they can stay open. I have been through 3 game stores, they seem pretty hard to keep open.

JSR_Cube

And if Munchkin can be a stepping stone into the wonderfull world of designer boardgames then thats a good thing.

This is it. If it gets your friends enjoying themselves and playing games, then great. I think most of us have just moved on from it and have found games that we enjoy better for one reason or another, Whether that is more depth, more strategy, less direct interaction or whatever.

My advice would be to try it out but I would invest in other games if your friends like it rather than any of the expansions.

Off topic, Scythe is looking great. It will be my next Kickstarter that I fund for sure. I love the art, the design (so far) and check out the coins.
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2577586/scythe

Xater

I can almost taste the Solitaire Expansion for Conflict of Heroes now.... fucking been waiting so long. Please send it cool stuff... it has been like 3 years.

That is interesting. I just looked up how much the base game is an fuck me it's 80€. Yeah that's a bit much for me to just do solo play.

If you are still new to the hobby maybe try not to jump in right away with the miniature heavy super expensive stuff. There is so much more out there. Not that I am saying these games are bad, but some can still be intimidating (probably way more rules heavy than you might like at this point) and the price is often a barrier of entry as well. You should look at what people consider gateway games. There are some real classics there that even people that have been playing for years and years will always recommend and still play.

Ohnonono

That is interesting. I just looked up how much the base game is an fuck me it's 80€. Yeah that's a bit much for me to just do solo play.

If you are still new to the hobby maybe try not to jump in right away with the miniature heavy super expensive stuff. There is so much more out there. Not that I am saying these games are bad, but some can still be intimidating (probably way more rules heavy than you might like at this point) and the price is often a barrier of entry as well.

Yeah I have had the base game forever. I really enjoy it, definitely one of the best wargames with great components. The wargame tax can be hard to swallow but not really with that one. The expansion is like 40$ and it is a deck of cards and some extra counters with rulebooks. It is quite silly but all signs point to it being the best solo wargame system so far. It is my true last boardgame purchase till the holidays and the Warhammer Quest game comes out. At this point the expansion is my white fucking whale.

Xater

Yeah I have had the base game forever. I really enjoy it, definitely one of the best wargames with great components. The wargame tax can be hard to swallow but not really with that one. The expansion is like 40$ and it is a deck of cards and some extra counters with rulebooks. It is quite silly but all signs point to it being the best solo wargame system so far. It is my true last boardgame purchase till the holidays and the Warhammer Quest game comes out. At this point the expansion is my white fucking whale.

Thing is I still plan on going to Essen and have already a couple of games I want to get. I currently looking into getting some lighter fun stuff so my list has: Spyfall, Sheriff of Nottingham, Mysterium and Codenames. But I also want to see if I might be able to get Onitama and check out 504. If it's the last thing for you this year then it seems way more justifiable.

Jakoo

It is funny to me that Munchkin is up there with Cards Against Humanity in terms of shreer decisiveness. I got resistance from my fiancee from playing board games whatsoever based on how much she hated playing Munchkin. It took non-confrontational games like Castles of Burgundy to break her from that line of thinking.

I've never played it myself though.

Mr E.

Isn't Munchkin that bash the leader game ? Games will drag on with that mechanic.

Cutthroat caverns seems a better alternative. Don't own it myself but the premise is that your working as a team to complete the dungeon one dies and you all die ( I think ).
Ultimately you want to beat the dungeon whilst slyly dealing damage to your opponents.

Think I've got that right??? Anyway was awhile ago when I read about it and it seemed a similar theme to Munchkin but with a better strategy.

Draxal

arcadia-quest.jpg

Arcadia Quest and Super Dungeon Explore are pretty different in scope. Super Dungeon Explore is a dm vs players game (you can play an arcade mode with a card driven ai deck, but some people think this needs a revision atm). The game is pretty complicated

Arcadia Quest is a pvp game with monsters in the background providing buffs/victory conditions (think creeps like in Dota2 or LoL). The game isn't as complicated as SDE, but just be aware that's there's no coop in this game at all, and its also a campaign driven game.

Karkador

Banned

Like I alluded to earlier, this hobby tends to have people who will eat anything up as long as it's glossy. There's a fair amount of materialism. I've been to houses of gamers who stockpile unplayed, shrink-wrapped games like the end of the world is coming (and the only thing that will save them is cardboard).

Alongside that, there aren't many established, authoritative review publications that will tell it like it is. This is for better and for worse. I like that so much of the board game hobby is small and homespun, but it also means that one guy or one website can whip an entire community into a buying frenzy about something that is probably just mediocre, or actually limited in appeal (because 1 person doesn't represent everyone)

While your used board games will potentially hold their value a LOT better than videogames, I caution anyone getting into the hobby to not fall into the materialism trap.

The only reason people might shop at a local store nowadays is because they play at the store and need to support it in order to keep having that space, or they need a copy of a game immediately for some occasion (which has happened to me). Game shopping has largely moved away from local stores.

If you are still new to the hobby maybe try not to jump in right away with the miniature heavy super expensive stuff. There is so much more out there. Not that I am saying these games are bad, but some can still be intimidating (probably way more rules heavy than you might like at this point) and the price is often a barrier of entry as well. You should look at what people consider gateway games. There are some real classics there that even people that have been playing for years and years will always recommend and still play.

This is good advice! A decent, general rule is that if a game has been around for more than 10 years and is still being reprinted, it's probably a great game.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
The group I play with were big into munchkin until I introduced them to red dragon Inn. They prefer that to munchkin now. Actually I don't think they have played munchkin since. If you haven't heard or played red dragon Inn I recommend it. Still competitive but there are not any of the fuck you mechanics that I see in munchkin.

I'm curious on other's opinions about red dragon inn actually.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It is funny to me that Munchkin is up there with Cards Against Humanity in terms of shreer decisiveness. I got resistance from my fiancee from playing board games whatsoever based on how much she hated playing Munchkin. It took non-confrontational games like Castles of Burgundy to break her from that line of thinking.

I've never played it myself though.

This is why the first real game I played with my wife was Patchwork. Competitive but not in a confrontational way. Also, the theme was super weird and great to show her that the theme of games can reach far beyond "draw and guess pictures" and "quiz/question answer games".

Xater

This is why the first real game I played with my wife was Patchwork. Competitive but not in a confrontational way. Also, the theme was super weird and great to show her that the theme of games can reach far beyond "draw and guess pictures" and "quiz/question answer games".

Patchwork is such a great game. I love how tactical it is and what interesting decision you have to make. All in a very small box for just two players. Some people will probably crucify me for saying this, but I almost wish Rosenberg would just continue doing these small box two player games. So far I really enjoyed all of them.

Karkador

Banned
Patchwork is such a great game. I love how tactical it is and what interesting decision you have to make. All in a very small box for just two players. Some people will probably crucify me for saying this, but I almost wish Rosenberg would just continue doing these small box two player games. So far I really enjoyed all of them.

Agreed! I have yet to try Patchwork, but All Creatures Big and Small is my preferred Agricola

chugs

Neo Member

arcadia-quest.jpg

Let's start off from the top down :)

1) Arcadia Quest - fantastically designed game. It's got an easy campaign, consistent progression with your characters, and nothing is overly punishing in the game. There's both PvE and PvP quests that have to be completed, and the mechanics of the game are very streamlined and simple.

2) Mice and Mystics - Another fantastic little RPG/dungeon crawler. It's got quite the adorable theme and is pretty story driven. I think this is a great family game as you're all working co-operatively to beat the game driven monsters.

3) Super Dungeon Explore - To be honest, I don't think the game holds up very well as it's basically Gauntlet with chibi minis. One person has to play as the console (DM) while everyone else plays as characters. It's cute, and also very simple but there's very little to the whole thing. I've heard good things about The Forgotten King as they've added a fully co-operative variant and you can buy an upgrade kit in order to make the original base fully co-op as well.

I thought it was supposed to be out like three months ago .... I was looking forward to it also since beside my son, no one in my family will play war game.

Ohnonono

I thought it was supposed to be out like three months ago .... I was looking forward to it also since beside my son, no one in my family will play war game.

I can not count the number of times it has gotten delayed. They had copies at GenCon from what I understand. Should ship to distributers and pre-order people within a week or so. So I would imagine I should be playing it within the month. For all the agony of waiting it looks pretty streamlined and all accounts are that it really feels great.

My son and I just finished playing campaign game of Imperial Assault and we had a blast. It is our new favorite two players miniature game right up there with Space Hulk. I regret not getting it to the table sooner (I own it since after New Year). Imperial Assault, for me, fix a lot of problem with Descent. It was not difficult for me and my son to learn because we both play much more complex game and we both played Descent. I don't know how old your kids are, because there is a lot of thing to track in Imperial Assault. My suggestion would be may be play couple of skirmish game (it is actually quite good and there are so many scenario set up you can pick). It play a little bit difference than the campaign mode but will give you great practice on movement, line of sight rule and combat mechanics. Once you got the basic down then you can add in the complexity of the campaign mode. Anyway, you once you get over the rules, you will have a lot of fun.

Isn't Munchkin that bash the leader game ? Games will drag on with that mechanic.

Cutthroat caverns seems a better alternative. Don't own it myself but the premise is that your working as a team to complete the dungeon one dies and you all die ( I think ).
Ultimately you want to beat the dungeon whilst slyly dealing damage to your opponents.

Think I've got that right??? Anyway was awhile ago when I read about it and it seemed a similar theme to Munchkin but with a better strategy.

Cutthroat Caverns is the game we graduated to after Munchkins actually. It is the game I recommend for people looking for something to move up to. It is a really fun game where you and your "team" have to go kill series of monsters in the dungeon. You have to work together to kill it but the caveat is that only the person that land the killing blow get the credit for the kill. So you play card from your hand that deal damage or prevent other people from doing damage or make them do less damage so that they won't kill it. However, while the game is competitive you also still need to work together because if you let your teammates die you probably won't make it either (the monster deal the damages to the heroes every turns). The best part about the game is the encounters are all differences and you get wide variety of monsters and they all do difference things. Some hand out poison tokens, some like slime split into more monsters, some are just a puzzle that need solving or doing memory game. It's super fun group game and if you out grew the base game there are tons of expansions.

They don't match Amazon and online stores because they can't. You shop there usually if its somewhere you go to play so that they can stay open. I have been through 3 game stores, they seem pretty hard to keep open.

Yep, you really can't expect your local store to match Amazon and I don't know why anyone would expect it, most gaming stores are just small family own business. While I do buy from Amazon especially sale on board games, I do buy a lot of stuffs from my local store, thing like expansion pack, CCG, dices, dice bags and paints for my miniatures essentially anything that the price is not that much different than Amazon. I also buy a lot of impulse item from my local stores.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I may have to pick that up too. I love WW2 games (specifically Tide of Iron), but I have a super hard time bringing it to the table.

Mr E.

Cutthroat Caverns is the game we graduated to after Munchkins actually. It is the game I recommend for people looking for something to move up to. It is a really fun game where you and your "team" have to go kill series of monsters in the dungeon. You have to work together to kill it but the caveat is that only the person that land the killing blow get the credit for the kill. So you play card from your hand that deal damage or prevent other people from doing damage or make them do less damage so that they won't kill it. However, while the game is competitive you also still need to work together because if you let your teammates die you probably won't make it either (the monster deal the damages to the heroes every turns). The best part about the game is the encounters are all differences and you get wide variety of monsters and they all do difference things. Some hand out poison tokens, some like slime split into more monsters, some are just a puzzle that need solving or doing memory game. It's super fun group game and if you out grew the base game there are tons of expansions.

Ah that's it, thanks for reminding me. Landing the killer blow is the key mechanic that's rewards the killing player. My 11 yr old wanted me to get this and it dropped of my radar. Munchkin brought it all back lol.

In an unrelated note I've bagged a copy of Crash Tackle Rugby ( World domination edition ). Been after this rare beauty for awhile. Rugby World Cup starts September and this will be a big hit during that month.

What I love about this hobby is that if no other game was ever made there are more than enough classic games to last a life time and still never play them all. Whilst most folk are chasing the new I'm after the ones about to drop off the face of the earth. Still like the smell of a fresh opened box.....ooh errr.

Xater

I guess Risk: Marvel Cinematic Universe is a thing?

looks like there might at least be some special abilities stuff going on, but hard to say with the card being this small. Otherwise it looks thrown together with not much thought put into it considering the factions that fight each other and what they actually fight over.

ah Risk...

2210 and Legacy are pretty cool but the "theme" games are just.. too much of the same.

also I finally found a copy of that Monopoly Deal card game, one store in the state had a copy and it was about 30 mins from my work. No regrets.

fenners

Putting in a rare game order. Anyone want to persuade me to run away from "Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King", "Medieval Academy" or "Shadows of Malice"?

The last one is the odd one out, for sure.

Blizzard

Banned
The group I play with were big into munchkin until I introduced them to red dragon Inn. They prefer that to munchkin now. Actually I don't think they have played munchkin since. If you haven't heard or played red dragon Inn I recommend it. Still competitive but there are not any of the fuck you mechanics that I see in munchkin.

I'm curious on other's opinions about red dragon inn actually.
I've played it three times, twice with the base edition 1 and once with some other decks.

I'm not a fan of elimination games since it leads to bored people who lose early wandering around, but overall the game shouldn't be THAT long...although, the last time I played, the last two players in the game still took a long time to counter back and forth until one of them died.

With the right group of people who read the card titles out loud, it can be a pretty funny game. I imagine it's also funny if you mix multiple boxes together. If you just have the 4 base characters I think it would get old after a time or two of playing it.

am_dragon

really?
Mice and mystics as well as the D&D games seem like way better places to start than Decent (I haven't played the other two)

they are both much simpler to learn (at least to me).

plus I vastly prefer the lack of a mastermind the games have. Descent can be fun but a lot of times either the mastermind or the players just don't have fun as the game gets wonky at times and completely becomes one side dominating the other.

We were looking at Mice and Mystics but then we watched the "How to Play" and play through videos on that channel. My boys were laughing at the complexity of the rules and how confusing those videos make the game sound. I'm sure they are all pretty comparable as far as learning curve. My boys were more interested in a Star Wars theme than a random dungeon theme. The goal is to have my boys and a couple of their friends over once a week to run though the campaign, and I don't mind playing the Empire. My oldest son really wants to play as the Empire so maybe we can try that after we finish the campaign.

My son and I just finished playing campaign game of Imperial Assault and we had a blast. It is our new favorite two players miniature game right up there with Space Hulk. I regret not getting it to the table sooner (I own it since after New Year). Imperial Assault, for me, fix a lot of problem with Descent. It was not difficult for me and my son to learn because we both play much more complex game and we both played Descent. I don't know how old your kids are, because there is a lot of thing to track in Imperial Assault. My suggestion would be may be play couple of skirmish game (it is actually quite good and there are so many scenario set up you can pick). It play a little bit difference than the campaign mode but will give you great practice on movement, line of sight rule and combat mechanics. Once you got the basic down then you can add in the complexity of the campaign mode. Anyway, you once you get over the rules, you will have a lot of fun.
Thanks for this, I just set up the tutorial this will be our second run through. I think I might set up a skirmish game for them. They should enjoy that because they really like playing Krosmaster's Arena at our FLGS. I want to make sure we have to rules down before we start the campaign. Work out the rough spots before we begin so we can have fun playing the game.

Ecto311

Got mice and mystics today in the mail. Me and my wife are excited to paint them but should we paint some other toys or figures before or just jump into painting these? Any one here painted their figures and have tips for primer or links that could help? Used the board game geek links and half of them are dead.

Neverfade

Got mice and mystics today in the mail. Me and my wife are excited to paint them but should we paint some other toys or figures before or just jump into painting these? Any one here painted their figures and have tips for primer or links that could help? Used the board game geek links and half of them are dead.

I'm a novice at painting but I painted the Armada fighters not that long ago. I got a small can of spray on primer from Michael's along with a fairly cheap brush (and you'll want a couple shitty ones to drybrush with) and just went to town. Even with my low skill level, they turned out pretty good. Get a pot of Nuln Oil from Citadel (or your preferred wash brand) as a simple wash can turn a horrid figure into something that looks pretty dope.

A lot of paint guide on YouTubes. Sinestro series is excellent (the guy from esoteric Order of Gaming). He has awesome Star Wars series and Zombicide.

Xater

Oh & any strong opinions on "Among The Stars"? I own 7 Wonders already, not sure it's worthwhile as a purchase.

I quite liked it when I tried it last year in Essen. Only reason I didn't get it was because the releases of expansions are in question over here. So far we have only the base game.

Lyng

I quite liked it when I tried it last year in Essen. Only reason I didn't get it was because the releases of expansions are in question over here. So far we have only the base game.

Would you say it is different enough from 7 Wonders to warrant owning both?

Xater

Would you say it is different enough from 7 Wonders to warrant owning both?

I would say yes. Building the station has this puzzle factor because some powers depend on adjacency. Also thought the cards are more varied and the is also an aggressive variant so you can actually attack other players.

Lyng

I would say yes. Building the station has this puzzle factor because some powers depend on adjacency. Also thought the cards are more varied and the is also an aggressive variant so you can actually attack other players.

That sounds really great actually! Might have to pick it up.

Top Bottom