• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Karkador

Banned
It's an app that generates a grid to use for a game of Codenames

The way the real game works, you setup a grid of cards with words on them. Then the game runners look at this color grid to see what words their team (red or blue) have to try to guess.

The idea is that you can use the color grid with cards from other games (as long as they have words, but maybe not even) to play a homemade version.

ultron87

Homemade version with various cards is probably fine, but I will say that the word list in the box version of Codenames is really well chosen. It feels like they chose most of the words to have a lot of possible meanings, so it leads to wonderful situations of the code givers plans going to total shit immediately after giving the clue and not being able to say anything.

Like yesterday the clue given was "Office 3". As the guesser I believe my words to my teammate were, "Okay, offices have a 'staff', offices have walls, that is a little loose... 'lawyers' work in an office... oh 'post' office! It's gotta be that, right? Yeah? Let's pick post." It wasn't post. Post belonged to the other team. The first three I mentioned were the three the clue giver meant. The emotional rollercoaster this caused in the head of the clue giver and eventual outburst later on at the end of the game was hilarious for everyone.

Karkador

Banned
Homemade version with various cards is probably fine, but I will say that the word list in the box version of Codenames is really well chosen. It feels like they chose most of the words to have a lot of possible meanings, so it leads to wonderful situations of the code givers plans going to total shit immediately after giving the clue and not being able to say anything.

Yeah I was wondering if the word list was chosen well to make those situations. Good to know they did that.

I wonder how this would play with dixit cards

Palmer_v1

Like yesterday the clue given was "Office 3". As the guesser I believe my words to my teammate were, "Okay, offices have a 'staff', offices have walls, that is a little loose... 'lawyers' work in an office... oh 'post' office! It's gotta be that, right? Yeah? Let's pick post." It wasn't post. Post belonged to the other team. The first three I mentioned were the three the clue giver meant. The emotional rollercoaster this caused in the head of the clue giver and eventual outburst later on at the end of the game was hilarious for everyone.

You're getting me hyped to play it again tonight. We might have more than 8 this time. We'll have to see how that works out. If nothing else, we have several 4-5 player games to break into later.

I have yet to play Blood Rage, Legendary Predator, or Xenoshyft.

Edit:
Yeah I was wondering if the word list was chosen well to make those situations. Good to know they did that.

I wonder how this would play with dixit cards

I think you'd end up with a slower game probably. A lot fewer Word 3s, etc.

Any good sites out there to find meet ups to play games with? I have literally zero friends with interest in playing board games, it's frustrating.

Neverfade

Any good sites out there to find meet ups to play games with? I have literally zero friends with interest in playing board games, it's frustrating.

Meetup.com is frequently a good place to check. If you have a college in your area there will for sure be tabletop gamers around you.

Meetup.com is frequently a good place to check. If you have a college in your area there will for sure be tabletop gamers around you.

Thanks. I'm in NY so there should be some stuff around here. I'm just looking for some cool people to play Dead of Winter and maybe have a few beers with.

Neverfade

PS.

Chronicle is CSI's deal of the day for a couple more hours. Don't sleep on the best trick taking game out there! yeeeaaah!

7 and a half bucks. Do it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BGG is quite clearly a eurogamer dominated site. I can't see that changing any time soon. You see their ratings through that eurogamer lens.

Which makes the fact that Twilight Struggle has dominated the top rating for so long that much more remarkable IMO.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Which makes the fact that Twilight Struggle has dominated the top rating for so long that much more remarkable IMO.

Is Twilight Struggle fun? I'd love to play it sometime, but it looks like a game you need to really dedicate some time to in order to appreciate a playthrough.

Neverfade

Twilight Struggle is dryer than a nun's cunt. I can understand people appreciating it, but it being number 1 on BGG really blows my mind.

fenners

I know neverfade's not a fan, but I am :) Twilight Struggle's ridiculously tense & definitely rewards multiple plays with the same person over time. If only one person 'knows' the cards, it's not as balanced, for sure. It marries its theme & mechanics ridiculously well IMO, with real intense build ups of position & attacks, with tough decisions on what cards to play, to bury, to discard. I love it, wish I could play it more often.

For my birthday today, got a bunch of games from the family - Brew Crafters (because I love beer, homebrew & Agricola), Legendary + the Guardians of the Galaxy expansion (because it's Marvel & my son loves Guardians, and it should be playable in a lunchtime), and Colt Express (because cowboys).

Problem I have with TS is that it requires multiple goes to understand the sides and how you should play. You can't just sit and play it, you literally have to play several times to learn how you should be playing that faction at certain time phases.

Want to play with someone new? Yea not happening, you need to then run them through the whole thing multiple times. It's kinda annoying game cause of it.

Am I going to have too many viking themed games between Blood Rage, Champions of Midgard and Fire & Axe coming out?

Not to mention I already have Midgard, Yggdrasil, and Eketorp.

This may be too many viking games.

JSR_Cube

Am I going to have too many viking themed games between Blood Rage, Champions of Midgard and Fire & Axe coming out?

Not to mention I already have Midgard, Yggdrasil, and Eketorp.

This may be too many viking games.

I have Raiders of the North Sea coming too via Kickstarter!

Really looking forward to Blood Rage though. We like CitOW a lot but it has run its course.

Lyng

Twilight Struggle is dryer than a nun's cunt. I can understand people appreciating it, but it being number 1 on BGG really blows my mind.

I really enjoy it. I think it's incredibly tense and really oozes theme. Then again I always play with my wife so we both understand the game quiet well.

I do agree however that the BGG ranking is mostly bollocks.
Just look how high something as ordinary as Dead of Winter is.

Hieberrr

Any recommendations for somewhat easy go play games at dinner parties?

Our go to games are monopoly, uno, spot it, risk (occasionally).

Chorazin

Got my copy of Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn in the mail yesterday, holy hell is that art pretty. Even the card backs are gorgeous!

Game play seems amazing as well. Like Magic, but without all the bullshit and money you need to dump into it. Picking your starting hand? Genius. Have your starting "mana" be random dice, but rarer mana can be used for common mana, and the dice are changeable by discarding cards? Genius. Can't wait to play this!

I really enjoy it. I think it's incredibly tense and really oozes theme. Then again I always play with my wife so we both understand the game quiet well.

I do agree however that the BGG ranking is mostly bollocks.
Just look how high something as ordinary as Dead of Winter is.

I don't think I could ever call Dead of Winter ordinary.

Bought the Marvel Dice Masters: Age of Ultron starter pack and a handful of boosters yesterday. I haven't tried it yet, but I did watch the Watch It Played video and am kinda underatanding the rules. I'm not going to do tourneys or anything, just okay with my wife and friends every once in a while. Does anyone play Dicemasters?

Bought the Marvel Dice Masters: Age of Ultron starter pack and a handful of boosters yesterday. I haven't tried it yet, but I did watch the Watch It Played video and am kinda underatanding the rules. I'm not going to do tourneys or anything, just okay with my wife and friends every once in a while. Does anyone play Dicemasters?

I played a bunch of Avengers vs. Xmen DM. It's fun as a casual duel game. I love grabbing packs while shopping and the price for dice master boosters are super affordable. I currently have the dungeon and dragons starter and a few boosters but haven't really played with them yet.

Oh printing a play mat for the first few games ( I still use mine ) helps a lot.

Chorazin

Its just an ordinary coop with a badly implemented traitor mechanism. With the right people it's okay.

Man, really? I've had a blast every time I've played it. The traitor is usually a surprise and the battle of personal resources vs what the group needs is always a tightrope. Every game feels tense in a good way.

But this is a clear case of agree to disagree! 😄

I played a bunch of Avengers vs. Xmen DM. It's fun as a casual duel game. I love grabbing packs while shopping and the price for dice master boosters are super affordable. I currently have the dungeon and dragons starter and a few boosters but haven't really played with them yet.

Oh printing a play mat for the first few games ( I still use mine ) helps a lot.

Yeah, I need to buy some ink for my printer and I can print those playmats out.

Lyng

Man, really? I've had a blast every time I've played it. The traitor is usually a surprise and the battle of personal resources vs what the group needs is always a tightrope. Every game feels tense in a good way.

But this is a clear case of agree to disagree! 😄

Like both me and Bomber Mouse said, its not a bad game, and if you can get the right group for it its even quiet fun. Its just not the 18th best game in the world, far from it. And its also definately not innovative. That word gets tossed around way to much these days.

But yes :) Not a bad game and I am happy you enjoy it. I like Plaid Hat games and some of their games are spot on, so more money to them is allways good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Wife and I played Patchwork. And she loved it! I think Ticket To Ride and Pandemic are next. After that, I may try Suburbia with her.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Problem I have with TS is that it requires multiple goes to understand the sides and how you should play. You can't just sit and play it, you literally have to play several times to learn how you should be playing that faction at certain time phases.

Want to play with someone new? Yea not happening, you need to then run them through the whole thing multiple times. It's kinda annoying game cause of it.

Hopefully when the digital version finally comes out, that will help out a lot for those wanting to play through a bunch of games to get experience, assuming they nail the AI. Should also make finding multiplayer games easier.

Reading through resources like the TS guide I link to below can also help.

Is Twilight Struggle fun? I'd love to play it sometime, but it looks like a game you need to really dedicate some time to in order to appreciate a playthrough.

I think so, but it's not for everyone. From the Twilight Strategy guide (free ebook version available at the site: http://twilightstrategy.com/2014/02/24/twilight-strategy-the-e-book/)

Should you get Twilight Struggle? A six-question quiz.

1. Do you enjoy playing (and have opportunities to play) 2-player games?
  2. Are you able to set aside enough time to play this game? Your first game might take up to 4 hours; once you’ve learned the rules, the longest game you’ll play is probably around 3 hours, with the shortest being 1 hour and the average being 2 hours. This varies by playgroup, of course, but this is not a filler game!
  3. Do you enjoy games that require a lot of thinking?
  4. Do you enjoy games that are extremely tense and nerve-wracking?
  5. Are you OK with games that have a small but not insignificant luck component?
  6. Are you OK with the fact that it may take you two or three plays to really understand the game?
If you answered no to any of these six questions, then sadly Twilight Struggle is probably not the ideal game for you.

Note that these questions did not include “Do you enjoy Cold War history?” or “Do you enjoy wargames?”. Although fans of Cold War history and/or wargames will love this game even more, most people who enjoy Twilight Struggle have not had much prior interest in the Cold War or wargames.

If you answered yes to all of these questions, then you will probably enjoy Twilight Struggle (and in fact most likely really enjoy it). Check out our “New to Twilight Struggle” page to get started.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hopefully when the digital version finally comes out, that will help out a lot for those wanting to play through a bunch of games to get experience, assuming they nail the AI. Should also make finding multiplayer games easier.

Reading through resources like the TS guide I link to below can also help.

I think so, but it's not for everyone. From the Twilight Strategy guide (free ebook version available at the site: http://twilightstrategy.com/2014/02/24/twilight-strategy-the-e-book/)

Thanks. It's hard to say...I have a friend or two who would totally play it with me, but regularly? Hard to say. My wife would probably not enjoy it. Although, once we get a game of Suburbia in, I'll be able to start judging her interest in deeper games.

Shadows of Brimstone assembly update!

I'm almost done with the City of the Ancients minis. I had to take a break because some of them are a real pain in the ass to put together. So I figured I'd put together the biggest dude yet!

Awesome mini, but another bastard to fit. I'd say that's my only complaint with this game so far...It's a BITCH to assemble (not like too many pieces, but the fitups are all shit and have gaps).

6jJ6jCAj5XvDQVz9F4nT_SHWHeIB5LTYcpDQfn0vP9Ab=w1723-h969-no

So has anyone ever thought they were missing game pieces and when they looked again a few days later they magically appear? Happened to me with Marvel Legendary. Thought I was missing cards looking up and down and nothing. Make some dummy ones and I move on waiting for an email back about replacements. Going through them tonight sorting some new cards and wondering why one side is so un level when low and behold some sort of Loki trickery has made the missing cards appear. I feel stupid so someone please tell me this is common.

Mista Koo

I'd say 4-6.
Ordered by time they take and relative complexity:
  • Coup (15m): Bluffing game with player elimination.
  • Dixit (30m): Social game with surreal art.
  • For Sale (30m): Half auction game half trick taking game.
  • King of New York (40m): Dice fighting game with player elimination.
  • 7 Wonders (30m): Set collection card drafting game with minimal player interaction.

With most longer/more involved games 6 is a tricky number because they are either 2-4 or 2-5. There are at least two more games I wanted to suggest but you would have to buy an expansion just to play with 6.

chugs

Neo Member
Its just an ordinary coop with a badly implemented traitor mechanism. With the right people it's okay.

To me it's great for striking the right chord between a narrative based game, and a mechanically interesting one. It's one of the few board games I can get my girlfriend to play, while still being interested in the decisions and choices to be made. Throw in the Crossroads cards, and you've got a game that has a pretty broad appeal.

I don't think that there's many other board games that you can get a lot of people interested in, has a great dynamic narrative, with simple but fun mechanics that everyone can enjoy.

I will however agree with the traitor mechanism. I think it ultimately doesn't work out very well and can be extremely swingy. A traitor can play completely team oriented until it becomes their turn for first/last actions and completely tank the game in one fell swoop.

joelseph

Dark Moon is an interesting new traitor game from Stronghold. Played 2 full game at Gencon and enjoyed it. Doesn't have as strong of a narrative as the crossroad cards in Dead of Winter but the BSG style traitor mechanics work quick and well. Give it a look.

chugs

Neo Member
I'd say 4-6.

I would recommend a few new party games that have launched recently.

1) Codenames - Rounds play in about 15m. Game is having a 5x5 grid of code names on the table, and split into teams with a Spymaster on each. The Spymasters have a key that shows which code names belong to which team, and using only single word hints tries to lead her team to victory. ("Dog, two." would be a hint, telling people the code name relates to 2 names on the table).

2) But Wait, There's More! - A game about being a TV infomercial pitch guy. A random gadget is flipped up every round, and you have modifier cards in your hand to make the product your own. On your turn you have to try and sell everyone on the product your company makes. Team elements make it really fun, as you have to pitch a gadget with 2 modifiers (that each person on a team picks) but they each don't know the others modifier. The segue is the "But wait, there's more!". You'll probably have a ton of laughs if people get into it.

3) Spyfall - Another social deduction game, comes with 30 decks of cards. Each deck has a location, and a spy in it. You break the deck down to n-1 role cards, and 1 spy card. You're either a person in the location, or a spy. The spy is trying to learn where he is, the persons are trying to learn who the spy is. You ask questions of one another that'll help you gain information, but not give the spy an obvious idea of where she is.

Hope these help!

emag

Dark Moon is an interesting new traitor game from Stronghold. Played 2 full game at Gencon and enjoyed it. Doesn't have as strong of a narrative as the crossroad cards in Dead of Winter but the BSG style traitor mechanics work quick and well. Give it a look.

The theme and depth of Dark Moon just isn't there from what I can see. I appreciate it's a reworked BSG Express, but given it still takes an hour to play, I'd rather spend twice the time and play Battlestar Galactica proper with all the theme and meaty mechanics that it brings to the table.

I am looking forward to Lifeform, however.

Wanted to just make a quick post that I grabbed Coup over the weekend and played it a few times. I really like it for a quick game with a few people.

game really breaks down with 2 players though, why is it even suggested?

Top Bottom