• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

fenners

Any idea when?

Whenever they get them in to give to KS backers? This is what they posted in their September monthly email:

For those of you who aren't Kickstarter backers but who want to buy one of the excess copies once we've shipped the Kickstarter copies, there's really no use for us to start that order-taking, as we won't know how many copies we have available until we get them in the warehouse, count, and examine them.

Right now, the process looks to me like it'll be something like this:

- Late September/early October: Ship all the Kickstarter copies
- Mid October: Open up orders for the excess games on our website on a first-come, first served, one-copy-per-customer basis. Charge for the orders.
-Early November: Ship the non-Kickstarter copies.

I would strongly recommend signing up to their Inside GMT email list if you're looking to jump on the leftovers.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
GMT will have some, but not many, of the Twilight Struggle CEs to sell via their own website - they've said so repeatedly since the KS launched.

Heh, I haven't been paying attention to the GMT newsletter mails, been focusing on the Kickstarter update mails instead.

I should really get back to reading those again, I ordered Fields of Fire on their P500 a year or two ago. I wonder how close they are on that one to reprinting.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Whenever they get them in to give to KS backers? This is what they posted in their September monthly email:

I would strongly recommend signing up to their Inside GMT email list if you're looking to jump on the leftovers.

Thanks - I'll sign up today.

NEO0MJ

I was considering using a toothpick to color the eyes of the Kemet Phoenix miniature. Is that an OK idea or should I try again with the brush?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was considering using a toothpick to color the eyes of the Kemet Phoenix miniature. Is that an OK idea or should I try again with the brush?

Totally legit. I've even known people to use those super fine tip markers. I always say do what gets the job done.

NEO0MJ

Totally legit. I've even known people to use those super fine tip markers. I always say do what gets the job done.

Good to know. I feel that even my smallest brush was to big, and when I tried it I just left a big black spot around the eye, which I couldn't clean out entirely.

And while you're here, a good wash can be achieved by mixing red brown with acrylic thinner in a 50/50 ratio, right? Do I have to seal it first before doing the wash or is it ok to do it over my current colors (which are also acrylic)?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Good to know. I feel that even my smallest brush was to big, and when I tried it I just left a big black spot around the eye, which I couldn't clean out entirely.

And while you're here, a good wash can be achieved by mixing red brown with acrylic thinner in a 50/50 ratio, right? Do I have to seal it first before doing the wash or is it ok to do it over my current colors (which are also acrylic)?

You can wash over your paint, but sealing means you can remove the wash if it doesn't come out like you had hoped.

As for wash mixes, yeah - 50/50 is a good start. The best thing you can do is use an acrylic thinner versus water (since water dilutes the pigment). Best to start at 50/50 and add more thinner little by little if needed.

Castef

Banned
Small picture of my new boardgame, Potion Explosion. It will be at the Essen fair and should be available worldwide right after the fair. :)

pic2644583_md.png

Xater

Small picture of my new boardgame, Potion Explosion. It will be at the Essen fair and should be available worldwide right after the fair. :)

pic2644583_md.png

Oh wow, I am into these kind of color matching games and having it as a multiplayer variant in board game form is pretty neat. Maybe I'll come by on my lunch break to see the final version of it. i'll be there working for Indie Boards & Cards again. Do you know what the pricing will be?

also who of the people involved with the game are you so I can say hi? :)

NEO0MJ

As for wash mixes, yeah - 50/50 is a good start. The best thing you can do is use an acrylic thinner versus water (since water dilutes the pigment). Best to start at 50/50 and add more thinner little by little if needed.

I actually read online that 50/50 should be the max you ever go, or the paint will start dissolving. That's what happened to me when I rushed the clear yellow paint, I put too much thinner,

Castef

Banned
Oh wow, I am into these kind of color matching games and having it as a multiplayer variant in board game form is pretty neat. Maybe I'll come by on my lunch break to see the final version of it. i'll be there working for Indie Boards & Cards again. Do you know what the pricing will be?

also who of the people involved with the game are you so I can say hi? :)

Hello, I love Coup and Snowdonia. :)

Potion Explosion will be priced 30/35 euros and, at least for the first printing, will come with colored glass marbles, very nice to see.

I'm the one on the left in this picture. :)

See you in Essen (most probably, my plans are still a bit cloudy... :( )

joelseph

I have found (and it ultimately depends on the material you are painting) that covering the body of the mini you want to dilute the paint with water. But when doing really fine small details like eyes you might want to use a less diluted solution to really "stick" the spot to the mini. YMMV!

zulux21

I'm curious, is anyone in this thread near madison wi at all?

I have a number of board games I want to get rid of but I would rather not ship them, and thus would prefer to trade or sell locally, but would rather deal with some awesome gaffers lol.

Xater

I like playing card games, but I will probably never really get into a physical LCG. Keeping up with stuff is just too much work.

Blizzard

Banned
Having played 3 games of Dominion thus far, I like it! It's worked well in 2-player games and I'm hoping to try it in 4-player games.

I've already noticed all the talk about the big money strategy, and some of the responses on the forums, so I'm glad there are other options at least with some kingdoms. I also hope to pick up Seaside (possibly followed by Intrigue) to make for even more variety.

Ive been playing Dead of Winter and The Resistance with friends lately, and it seems we enjoy the bluffing part of it, would Battlestar Galactica be a good one to get if none of us have ever seen the show? Or is there something similar but with a different theme?

Blizzard

Banned
Also, achievement unlocked: Sleeve 493 Dominion cards. The Mayday Games card sleeves only had a few that had scratches or were slightly the wrong size, maybe 2% or less, so I'm overall happy with them.

Lyng

Having played 3 games of Dominion thus far, I like it! It's worked well in 2-player games and I'm hoping to try it in 4-player games.

I've already noticed all the talk about the big money strategy, and some of the responses on the forums, so I'm glad there are other options at least with some kingdoms. I also hope to pick up Seaside (possibly followed by Intrigue) to make for even more variety.

Intrigue is a great addition. It adds some much needed player interaction.

Still haven't decided 100% on a game but it will probably be The Legend of Drizzt Board Game unless the new one Temple of Elemental Evil is better. Though I was just looking at Shadowrun: Crossfire and that's tempting.

How is the art for Sentinels of the Multiverse so fucking bad? Good god. Even if it's an otherwise good game, I don't think I could play it.

Edit: Star Wars: Imperial Assault is another I've been looking into. It's not co-op but perhaps it might be better since my SO likes competitive games better.

Ive been playing Dead of Winter and The Resistance with friends lately, and it seems we enjoy the bluffing part of it, would Battlestar Galactica be a good one to get if none of us have ever seen the show? Or is there something similar but with a different theme?

Sheriff of Nottingham also involves a lot of bluffing, but is less "epic". Battlestar seems to still work for people that haven't seen the show though.

But they are pretty different games from each other otherwise, where Battlestar is a coop game with a couple of players being traitors, Sheriff of Nottingham isn't.

NEO0MJ

Oh fuck. I used a lacquer sealer and now its eaten through my paint. I really should have read the label first efore buying/applying. Hopefully the wash will help cover up.

Neverfade

Yeah I agree. Don't understand why having to buy multiple core set is not looked upon as a bad business model.

Well people know going into it that it's an expandable model. The option is to have a box that MSRPs for 40 with an amount of cards that keeps the cost/actual playable product ratio in check, or have an insanely steep price of entry. I never would have checked out Doomtown if I had to pay 60+ for it.

Not everyone who plays is going to be a tournament level player. Not everyone NEEDS the maximum amount of allowable cards. With maybe the exception of the Game of Thrones Second Edition core, every LCG on the market is incredibly playable with a single core set.

That and the alternative is to go back to blind boosters.

Edit: I will agree that sometimes the distribution is a little suspect. Netrunner is a particularly egregious offender in that if you DO want three copies of each card, you're buying a third core for, I believe, a total of 11 cards.

Star Wars is the best - you can only have two matching objective sets per deck so a second core gets you everything you need.

Draxal

Well people know going into it that it's an expandable model. The option is to have a box that MSRPs for 40 with an amount of cards that keeps the cost/actual playable product ratio in check, or have an insanely steep price of entry. I never would have checked out Doomtown if I had to pay 60+ for it.

Not everyone who plays is going to be a tournament level player. Not everyone NEEDS the maximum amount of allowable cards. With maybe the exception of the Game of Thrones Second Edition core, every LCG on the market is incredibly playable with a single core set.

Edit: I will agree that sometimes the distribution is a little suspect. Netrunner is a particularly egregious offender in that if you DO want three copies of each card, you're buying a third core for, I believe, a total of 11 cards.

Star Wars is the best - you can only have two matching objective sets per deck so a second core gets you everything you need.

They've gone back to the Netrunner/Lotr Model with Warhammer 40k which pissed me off.

Star Wars is the best model and wish they kept with Warhammer.

Neverfade

I've spent the least amount of time with Warhammer thus far so I wasn't 100% sure. I have two cores of that one and am pretty satisfied there.

Karkador

Banned
Netrunner maniacs have killed the appeal of it for casual players by (among other things) insisting that you need to get multiple core sets to play. You don't.

I'm glad that Netrunner has enough going for it to have a burgeoning competitive community, but that crowd really doesn't help the casual gamer get into the game at all.

Draxal

Netrunner maniacs have killed the appeal of it for casual players by (among other things) insisting that you need to get multiple core sets to play. You don't.

I'm glad that Netrunner has enough going for it to have a burgeoning competitive community, but that crowd really doesn't help the casual gamer get into the game at all.

Honestly, the game theme / mechanics always attracted the more hard core of players.

Karkador

Banned
That's probably true, but I guess I'm talking about someone like me, or like the people who want "a card game in one box", and don't have any problem with playing the game, it's the keeping up with expansions and such

And while it's true that you don't have to buy the expansions to enjoy the game, a lot of that core set's design seems deliberately designed to have holes that expansions fill in. NBN, for example, is pretty much just a novelty in the core set.

Ronabo

Oh wow, it looks like FFG bought legend of the five rings from AEG and is making it into a lcg.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/...rd-game/products/legend-five-rings-card-game/

This is huge news for me as I've been playing the CCG off and for 20 years and started back up competitively 2 years ago. For someone that has no experience with the LCG model I'm kinda worried how FFG will handle Organized play and the storyline. Also 2 years is a long time for current players to have to wait. Also I find it kinda funny that FFG's space in the GenCon CCG hall was right behind AEG's.

Lyng

That's probably true, but I guess I'm talking about someone like me, or like the people who want "a card game in one box", and don't have any problem with playing the game, it's the keeping up with expansions and such

And while it's true that you don't have to buy the expansions to enjoy the game, a lot of that core set's design seems deliberately designed to have holes that expansions fill in. NBN, for example, is pretty much just a novelty in the core set.

Ashes is are quiet great from a what-you-get-in-the-box perspective.

Just got back from the first board game night with my friends, and it was fucking awesome. We didn't venture into Cosmic Encounter or BSG, but went Mascarade -> Resistance -> 1 round of Galaxy Trucker -> Carcassonne

Mascarade is great, a really nice light game to kick things off with. I was awful at keeping track of which card was which, even without shuffling. Like, there was a lot of "I'm gonna switch us *put cards under the table* ...wait shit I wasn't paying attention". And calling someone out on their claim and being right is so goddamned satisfying.

The Resistance was The Resistance. I figured out the spies hella early and felt super vindicated when I was right B)

Galaxy Trucker is still great, but the amount of time it takes to explain all the tiles and shit are annoying. It's a massive barrier to entry for what is, for all intents and purposes, a relatively simple game.

Carcassonne was...way funnier than I was expecting really. We all got really into just looking at this abomination we were building, with unnecessarily looping roads. There was one point in the second game where my friend was in tears over a road that came out of a city, looped round and went straight back into another city without any other ways off. We also had what was basically a city of abbeys, with all the abbeys next to each other. Including the two with roads which just led to one another.

All in all, it was everything I was hoping for, probably better. It was also nice getting to hang out without going to a pub and getting drunk and having to shout to hear each other. Just a chilled evening in. God I'm turning into an old person aren't I?

But yeah. MORE GAMES :D

I played Galaxy Trucker for the first time (and only time for now) back in July. Yeah, it was a long game to set up, explain, and take in. Didn't really like it all that much really.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I played Galaxy Trucker for the first time (and only time for now) back in July. Yeah, it was a long game to set up, explain, and take in. Didn't really like it all that much really.
Trucker is one of the ultimate kind love or hate games. Throw me in the love pile but I do wish it was a bit quicker too so I could play it more. Sometimes I just skip stage 1 because it's pretty meaningless ultimately (not enough cash at stake).

Trucker is one of the ultimate kind love or hate games. Throw me in the love pile but I do wish it was a bit quicker too so I could play it more. Sometimes I just skip stage 1 because it's pretty meaningless ultimately (not enough cash at stake).

We did kind of just replace the first card because we got slavers. Who took 3 men. I was the only one with more than 3 men. Oops.

After that things were cool though. Though one of my friends did end up with the classic "Ok one card left...open space...FUCK I HAVE NO THRUSTERS :C" situation. He ended up with -3 moneys >_>

But yeah, it's definitely a game that works better when you actually know it, but that makes it very, very hard for someone who's bad at explaining
me
to explain A) what you do and B) why you love it so much

VS System 2PCG (LCG) costs $50 MSRP, and includes the maximum playable amount of every card in the game. Game is easy to learn, deep, and a lot of fun. Really want to pick up a hard copy if I can find a playgroup. Game is hard not to recommend to anyone who wants a CCG experience at an affordable price.

i had my avatar before this was even announced, thank you very much

Blizzard

Banned
I played 4+ hours of Talisman tonight because we had 5 players who had never played it and 1 player who had, and we got tricked into it because everyone else who HAD played it avoided our table like the plague when invited.

I'm not sure if I'll get invited back to those nights, ha. Hopefully it wasn't a big deal. I was trying not to be rude, but I can't remember the last time I was so irritated at a player at a game night. Someone seemed to me (hopefully I was mistaken) to be trying to actively annoy the host by taking his turn as slow as possible every time, and going through a bunch of cards, and asking really slow questions. And this was probably hours in, by which point even the host just wanted the game to end.

It ended with the host, on the crown of command, losing a single life and getting instantly sent to jail as a result because of a follower. That seemed ridiculous but apparently there's no rule against getting sucked from there directly into the most remote corner of the city.

Speaking of the rules, apparently the board and cards have more information than the rules about some things. You can bribe the jailer to let you out of jail. As far as I could tell, the rules don't even mention that. There was at least one card with confusing text, and the rules apparently don't have a reference for cards, so you can't look for clarification.

Aside from that player and the rules, I think the thing that bugged me the most about Talisman is how many turns I had nothing to do. I might put up with long games if I can at least do SOMETHING fairly often -- collect some stats, roll some dice, build up an empire, whatever. I kept having my turns take 10-15 seconds where I would roll, get a monster...and it would get placed on some other square, so I would get zero benefit. Or I would land on a square, roll, and nothing would happen.

Meanwhile, some of the other players (especially the player mentioned above) would be repeatedly having turns where they flipped 2-3 cards, maybe rolled some dice, spent a bunch of time puzzling over card text, and so forth.

Please forgive the rant. At least we got to play a fast 3-player game of Dominion after, and it was such a relief even though I fatally thinned my copper too early and ended up in last place.

Agents of Smersh finally made it to the table and It's good! I like Arabian Nights better for the theming, but the rest of my group unanimously prefers AoS. Other players' turns are less miserable because the coop frame makes you care about their successes and failures. Also, people can tell when the end is coming, which was an issue whenever I played Arabian Nights.

The game doesn't present itself outwardly as a comedy, but it is legitimately funny. Failing is obviously bad, but it was enjoyable just the same to hear how your character fell on his or her face. There weren't any downer moments.

If there are any negatives about Agents of Smersh, they are in missed flavor opportunities. Encounters with the henchmen (the bosses of the game) don't include story bits and are less fun than regular encounters as a result. Also, unlike Tales, you only receive a short title to your scenario before choosing your action, meaning you have very little information to work with. The benefit to this is that the process of finding paragraphs in the book is easier though.

I want a more story-telling games. If they made one of these in space, my roommate and I would quit our jobs and become total degenerates.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I played 4+ hours of Talisman tonight because we had 5 players who had never played it and 1 player who had, and we got tricked into it because everyone else who HAD played it avoided our table like the plague when invited.

I'm not sure if I'll get invited back to those nights, ha. Hopefully it wasn't a big deal. I was trying not to be rude, but I can't remember the last time I was so irritated at a player at a game night. Someone seemed to me (hopefully I was mistaken) to be trying to actively annoy the host by taking his turn as slow as possible every time, and going through a bunch of cards, and asking really slow questions. And this was probably hours in, by which point even the host just wanted the game to end.

It ended with the host, on the crown of command, losing a single life and getting instantly sent to jail as a result because of a follower. That seemed ridiculous but apparently there's no rule against getting sucked from there directly into the most remote corner of the city.

Speaking of the rules, apparently the board and cards have more information than the rules about some things. You can bribe the jailer to let you out of jail. As far as I could tell, the rules don't even mention that. There was at least one card with confusing text, and the rules apparently don't have a reference for cards, so you can't look for clarification.

Aside from that player and the rules, I think the thing that bugged me the most about Talisman is how many turns I had nothing to do. I might put up with long games if I can at least do SOMETHING fairly often -- collect some stats, roll some dice, build up an empire, whatever. I kept having my turns take 10-15 seconds where I would roll, get a monster...and it would get placed on some other square, so I would get zero benefit. Or I would land on a square, roll, and nothing would happen.

Meanwhile, some of the other players (especially the player mentioned above) would be repeatedly having turns where they flipped 2-3 cards, maybe rolled some dice, spent a bunch of time puzzling over card text, and so forth.

Please forgive the rant. At least we got to play a fast 3-player game of Dominion after, and it was such a relief even though I fatally thinned my copper too early and ended up in last place.

This is why I actually prefer digital Talisman. I like the game, but I'd rather just deal with the AI.

JSR_Cube

Talisman is full of warts but I still love it. I think it is best played with a group that doesn't take it too seriously though. There are some crazy situations but you have to have a group that can just look back and laugh at it. Otherwise, you might lose some friendships. It is an incredibly long game for what you get out of it but that is why we can onle play it once or twice a year. We almost treat it like an RPG experience, with bad and confusing rules.

Draxal

This is huge news for me as I've been playing the CCG off and for 20 years and started back up competitively 2 years ago. For someone that has no experience with the LCG model I'm kinda worried how FFG will handle Organized play and the storyline. Also 2 years is a long time for current players to have to wait. Also I find it kinda funny that FFG's space in the GenCon CCG hall was right behind AEG's.

As one who quit about six years back, I'm hoping for a total reboot as I think AEG has lost control of the story along time ago.

At the same time, I don't think this moves makes sense for FFG, this game has a very limited appeal, but they can stretch the brand to other ips (all those samurai themed boardgames they make).

As one who quit about six years back, I'm hoping for a total reboot as I think AEG has lost control of the story along time ago.

At the same time, I don't think this moves makes sense for FFG, this game has a very limited appeal, but they can stretch the brand to other ips (all those samurai themed boardgames they make).

Doing a LCG to a game that already has an established fan base is somewhat safe bet, and being able to make FFG level of products to go with the IP, I think its pretty win win for them. It's not going to be a pricey IP like AGOT, Star Wars, Warhammer, etc that they typically buy into, so this is likely a safer bet for them to take risks on.

EYEL1NER

pic2644583_md.png
Well hell, I like the look and sound of that a lot. It looks like it would scratch the same kind of itch that FITS does. I see in a BGG thread where someone asked about the release date that you said it should drop in the U.S. Maybe by Xmas time? I'll have to keep an eye on info about it then because if the components are super-sturdy and nice, I could see that maybe being a sought-after game. Is that a wooden box that it is set up in and dispenses the marbles? Wooden-boxed games seem to be all the rage as of late.

Top Bottom