• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

That is still a lot of money compared to a one and done card game.
It is but it's a different beast. I don't get into LCG and usually just pick up a core and couple of expansions only because I just don't have the time to make the deck. But I still think their model are the least abusive compare to Hasbro and WizKids.

I do agree the release cycle is pretty crazy but like CCG, LCG is lifestyle game if you want to play competitively and keep up with the tournament. Also you can't get into every LCG or CCG, that is why I also prefer board game or self contain card games.

Castef

Banned
Well hell, I like the look and sound of that a lot. It looks like it would scratch the same kind of itch that FITS does. I see in a BGG thread where someone asked about the release date that you said it should drop in the U.S. Maybe by Xmas time? I'll have to keep an eye on info about it then because if the components are super-sturdy and nice, I could see that maybe being a sought-after game. Is that a wooden box that it is set up in and dispenses the marbles? Wooden-boxed games seem to be all the rage as of late.

Heh, it was impossible to have it made in wood. :)

Even though I'm planning to build my wooden version. :D

The ball dispenser is made in (sturdy) cardboard and requires a one-time assembly, then you may place it in the game box assembled without the need of disassembling it.

It is actually pretty different from FITS (a game I enjoy a lot).

It will be available in the US right after the Essen fair, as far as I know.

Can't name the US publisher right now, i guess it will be a surprise to most gamers. ;)

Also, on a side note I can confirm (because the shipment is confirmed) that the balls in the game will be in glass.

Karkador

Banned
Castef, is there something about the box (almost like a dice tower) that "shuffles" the marbles into different columns when you toss them back in?

Castef

Banned
Castef, is there something about the box (almost like a dice tower) that "shuffles" the marbles into different columns when you toss them back in?

Just some slides, they work pretty well avoiding the marbles to get struck.

That little bastard required about 20 different CAD projects and laser-cut prototypes. :(

EYEL1NER

Heh, it was impossible to have it made in wood. :)

Even though I'm planning to build my wooden version. :D

The ball dispenser is made in (sturdy) cardboard and requires a one-time assembly, then you may place it in the game box assembled without the need of disassembling it.

It is actually pretty different from FITS (a game I enjoy a lot).

It will be available in the US right after the Essen fair, as far as I know.

Can't name the US publisher right now, i guess it will be a surprise to most gamers. ;)

Also, on a side note I can confirm (because the shipment is confirmed) that the balls in the game will be in glass.
I figured that it couldn't be wood at that price point but then thought maybe it looked like that really cheap, thin stuff that Broken Token uses for custom inserts and that some people make dice towers out of. Oh well. I'll check out how sturdy the cardboard is, I'm not going to dismiss it without seeing for myself how it feels.

I read the rulebook that got posted on BGG earlier while I was at work and I don't see any similarities to FITS in the gameplay but that isn't how I meant it. FITS obviously has the Tetris-thing going for it and this has the feel of many of the connect-three-or-more games like Bejeweled, Puzzle Bobble, Candy Crush, etc. Or maybe it doesn't to you but it did to me upon first glance. And that is where I saw the FITS connection: they both feel slightly similar to widely recognizable puzzle games that most casual people play. I got my wife to play FITS easily since she was familiar with Tetris and I figure I could get her to play this just as easily because she loves Candy Crush and other 'pop a colored gem/square/circle and match other colors' games. Maybe I am way off base with how I interpreted the rules and everything but I figured that I would pitch it to her as being "kind of like Candy Crush but rather than just matching colors to clear them and get points, you are collecting sets of colors to complete potions that earn you varying number of points and the person with the most points after 'X' numbers of potions have been brewed wins."

I cannot wait to see who the publisher is and to put a preorder down (I guess GameSalute would be an unfortunate surprise but I don't know that you would have put the smiley face after that if it were GS)

Experien

How is SH: Consulting Agency for newcomers? Had double date and they love Sherlock and were interested int he idea of this wholeheartedly.

Or would Witness be a better transition game to use?

How is SH: Consulting Agency for newcomers? Had double date and they love Sherlock and were interested int he idea of this wholeheartedly.

Or would Witness be a better transition game to use?

Witness is probably a better double date game. It plays really fast and requires exactly 4 people. Sherlock Holmes is probably better with just 2 people. Each case can take several hours. If they are down for that it might not be bad but I like to save cases to just play with my gf on a rainy day.

Castef

Banned
I figured that it couldn't be wood at that price point but then thought maybe it looked like that really cheap, thin stuff that Broken Token uses for custom inserts and that some people make dice towers out of. Oh well. I'll check out how sturdy the cardboard is, I'm not going to dismiss it without seeing for myself how it feels.

Should be quite sturdy, enough for giving the game a long life. :D

(also, you just grab balls out of it, not much stress on the dispenser. At least, not until the cat discovers it)

I read the rulebook that got posted on BGG earlier while I was at work and I don't see any similarities to FITS in the gameplay but that isn't how I meant it. FITS obviously has the Tetris-thing going for it and this has the feel of many of the connect-three-or-more games like Bejeweled, Puzzle Bobble, Candy Crush, etc. Or maybe it doesn't to you but it did to me upon first glance.
Yup, lots of people made a similar comparison, even though the base mechanic is about removing balls from the dispenser. And using them as ingredients.

And that is where I saw the FITS connection: they both feel slightly similar to widely recognizable puzzle games that most casual people play. I got my wife to play FITS easily since she was familiar with Tetris and I figure I could get her to play this just as easily because she loves Candy Crush and other 'pop a colored gem/square/circle and match other colors' games. Maybe I am way off base with how I interpreted the rules and everything but I figured that I would pitch it to her as being "kind of like Candy Crush but rather than just matching colors to clear them and get points, you are collecting sets of colors to complete potions that earn you varying number of points and the person with the most points after 'X' numbers of potions have been brewed wins."

Everything is right. In addition, a large part of the gameplay regards drinking completed potions in order to trigger their effects.

I cannot wait to see who the publisher is and to put a preorder down (I guess GameSalute would be an unfortunate surprise but I don't know that you would have put the smiley face after that if it were GS)

Cannot talk about the US publisher. Yet, it is not GS. :)

NEO0MJ

Might as well post my first painted miniature and get some critique.

21429504532_cc67a96d82_b.jpg
20819366563_b1979d6a21_b.jpg

I feel I could have done a better jobb but I learned a lot working on this.

I've narrowed down which game I'm getting for my SO and myself, with their input.
  • Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt
  • Mice and Mystics
  • Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Karkador

Banned
Don't you need a game runner person to play Imperial Assault? 1 v 1 doesn't sound like a lot of fun (one person having to manage a bunch of different characters).

I was interested in that at some point, but it doesn't seem like a straight-up co-op game for two players.

Don't you need a game runner person to play Imperial Assault? 1 v 1 doesn't sound like a lot of fun (one person having to manage a bunch of different characters).

I was interested in that at some point, but it doesn't seem like a straight-up co-op game for two players.

One person plays the imperials, its sorta like playing another character except with some DM responsibilities. Skirmish play is competitive one on one play.

Draxal

Poster mentioned that competitive was fine for this game, as the partner seemed interested in it.

It's the only non co-op game we're considering. I've read that it can be a bit much for the Rebel player to juggle all four characters. There is an alternative where the Rebel player uses two characters and they have more health and move twice per turn.

NEO0MJ

It's the only non co-op game we're considering. I've read that it can be a bit much for the Rebel player to juggle all four characters. There is an alternative where the Rebel player uses two characters and they have more health and move twice per turn.

Have you considered taking a look at Claustrophobia?

Phthisis

I've narrowed down which game I'm getting for my SO and myself, with their input.
  • Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt
  • Mice and Mystics
  • Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Of these, Drizzt is my favorite. I don't like M&M at all, and Imperial Assault is too much of a roller coaster in terms of stuff I like and dislike about the design and system.

Claustrophobia above is also a great suggestion.

NEO0MJ

Gave it a look. The character designs and theme aren't all that appealing. You have to buy an expansion to get lady characters. Boo.

When you listed Dungeons & Dragons I thought you wouldn't mind a fantasy themed game, though I guess Claustrophobia is a bit more macabre. And I had no idea about the lack of female characters.

Phinor

Of these, Drizzt is my favorite. I don't like M&M at all, and Imperial Assault is too much of a roller coaster in terms of stuff I like and dislike about the design and system.

I got bored of Drizzt and the that whole game design/system in about 5 plays and Imperial Assault lasted half a campaign before it dropped out of our regular schedule. And now I've been considering M&M but every sign says no, do not buy that. Your post is just another one of those do-not-buy signs. But I still kind of want to..

I got bored of Drizzt and the that whole game design/system in about 5 plays and Imperial Assault lasted half a campaign before it dropped out of our regular schedule. And now I've been considering M&M but every sign says no, do not buy that. Your post is just another one of those do-not-buy signs. But I still kind of want to..
Out of curiosity, what RPG board games, if any, have you not grown tired of?

Edit: I think I might get Temple of Elemental Evil over The Legend of Drizzt, since it has more lady characters. >_> If I go that route. Leaning towards Star Wars: Imperial Assault overall.

aku:jiki

Have you considered taking a look at Claustrophobia?
Is this game even in print? I want it but it seems difficult to find in Europe at least. :(

Femmeworth said:
This might just be me, but I think the whole "RPG in a box" genre has a pretty short lifespan (per game). You can only be excited about that same sword/spell/whatever so many times before you want to see new loot, and you can only create so many fresh and exciting dungeons before you get bored of the tiles. I think this will be especially true if you plan to only play with your SO, as two players can tend to fall into familiar patterns and such with nothing or no one there to mix it up. If longevity is important to you, this might not be the genre to start with.

ultron87

Finally got my Catacbombs Kickstarter copy, yesterday. There were so many stickers to apply! I really like all the art. Looking forward to trying it this weekend. I could just have a flicking game night with this and Flick Em Up.

Phinor

Fair point, can't say I've played many. I've Shadows of Brimstone still waiting to be learned and played but that's about it. If either Eldritch Horror or Gears of War count in any way as RPG/RPG-lite, still enjoying both of them. Currently backing Gloomhaven though so that'll be an interesting experience next year.

This might just be me, but I think the whole "RPG in a box" genre has a pretty short lifespan (per game). You can only be excited about that same sword/spell/whatever so many times before you want to see new loot, and you can only create so many fresh and exciting dungeons before you get bored of the tiles. I think this will be especially true if you plan to only play with your SO, as two players can tend to fall into familiar patterns and such with nothing or no one there to mix it up. If longevity is important to you, this might not be the genre to start with.
I think it'll be worth it if it can stay engaging enough to complete the campaign.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Fair point, can't say I've played many. I've Shadows of Brimstone still waiting to be learned and played but that's about it. If either Eldritch Horror or Gears of War count in any way as RPG/RPG-lite, still enjoying both of them. Currently backing Gloomhaven though so that'll be an interesting experience next year.

Shadows of Brimstone feels SO much like Warhammer Quest if you've ever played that. The only real difference I've seen so far is that SoB isn't as unfair as WHQ was.

Honestly, imperial assault having a skirmish 1 v 1 mode, is the other benefit of that game. The problem with that is it can get very pricy as a result.

Same time you don't need ton of figures to play skirmish battles, it's small scale battles. And a person can play with the tokens included instead of needing the figure packs.

Pulled the trigger and ordered Temple of Elemental Evil so I can have it in time for my birthday. :D I think I'll get Imperial Assault next but wait for a good deal around when the new movie comes out.

Blizzard

Banned
I played Lords of Waterdeep for the third time. This time was a 2-player game, and may have been the first time I've seen someone have Larissa. She seemed really strong. I thought I played well, and I was trying to compete for buildings on my own, but I only got 24 points from my lord and Larissa scored 48 points because of having so many buildings. :(

Ohnonono

LotR:LCG as a solo experience? Thoughts?

I played a good bit of it all the way through the Dwarf expansion and just into the hobbit sets. I ended up selling it and kind of regret it. It is fast to set up if you keep it organized and I had a great time with it. As a solo player playing one deck you really need to make pretty amazing decks. 2 handing it makes it so you can do more interesting decks. At least that was the case back then.

I played a good bit of it all the way through the Dwarf expansion and just into the hobbit sets. I ended up selling it and kind of regret it. It is fast to set up if you keep it organized and I had a great time with it. As a solo player playing one deck you really need to make pretty amazing decks. 2 handing it makes it so you can do more interesting decks. At least that was the case back then.

This is one of the reason I don't play it as much. My kids and I used to play this game all the time but with three players you have great variety of decks to tackle difference scenarios. I try couple of solo game and it was just way too difficult and you have to make the "deck" to beat the game which to make just take away all the fun.

I understand the big card pool allow for greater varieties not possible with the close system. I recently got Mistfall which is somewhat of a cross between LOTR and Mage Knight but the game just doesn't have enough cards and became boring quite fast toward the end. Mage Knight mitigate this by having huge variety of cards you can add to your deck and game difficulty is easily adjustable where Mistfall after your hero get certain card and combo going you just go through the motions as the end is pretty predictable.

After few games of Mistfall I quickly went back to Mage Knight and now thinking about taking out LOTR and dust if off for a game or two.

Castef

Banned
Finally got my Catacbombs Kickstarter copy, yesterday. There were so many stickers to apply! I really like all the art. Looking forward to trying it this weekend. I could just have a flicking game night with this and Flick Em Up.

I had a sheet of misaligned stickers. :(

Asked for a replacement one.

Pulled the trigger and ordered Temple of Elemental Evil so I can have it in time for my birthday. :D I think I'll get Imperial Assault next but wait for a good deal around when the new movie comes out.

Good choice.
Split between my group of friends we own all 4 D&D Adventure Series Games and
all of the Dungeon Command "Expansions". For us, the game mechanics are great. We have replayed several missions in Castle Ravenloft and don't find them boring at all (specifically The Howling Hag mission). The randomness of the Encounter cards can really fuck you up.

Ohnonono

This is one of the reason I don't play it as much. My kids and I used to play this game all the time but with three players you have great variety of decks to tackle difference scenarios. I try couple of solo game and it was just way too difficult and you have to make the "deck" to beat the game which to make just take away all the fun.

I understand the big card pool allow for greater varieties not possible with the close system. I recently got Mistfall which is somewhat of a cross between LOTR and Mage Knight but the game just doesn't have enough cards and became boring quite fast toward the end. Mage Knight mitigate this by having huge variety of cards you can add to your deck and game difficulty is easily adjustable where Mistfall after your hero get certain card and combo going you just go through the motions as the end is pretty predictable.

After few games of Mistfall I quickly went back to Mage Knight and now thinking about taking out LOTR and dust if off for a game or two.

The way I describe LOTR:LCG to people if your going to solo it is that if you REALLY liked MAKING the decks in magic and testing and tweaking it is friggin fantastic. But if you want to make one deck and just roll with it it may be way too hard as a solo player.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Some interesting impressions on the LotR LCG. Thank you guys. I actually love the idea of building and testing my deck out, but does the huge card pool make it so it becomes overwhelming? Or is the purpose of it to keep each major expansion self-contained with the core set?

Keasar

Anyone got any experience with Heroes of Normandie and how it compares to Conflict of Heroes?
I have decided to get my first proper wargame after I saw a copy of Conflict of Heroes in New York (but with no way of taking it home) so I am looking through my options and gotten it down to these two (unless someone wanna recommend something else).

I am so jealous right now. :(

Still waiting for mine that DHL probably lost or something...

Ohnonono

Some interesting impressions on the LotR LCG. Thank you guys. I actually love the idea of building and testing my deck out, but does the huge card pool make it so it becomes overwhelming? Or is the purpose of it to keep each major expansion self-contained with the core set?

When you buy a set and expansion you are getting a quest, and more cards to build a deck with. It has a large card pool for quests that is not overwhelming, you just keep them separated and only shuffle together what you need to.

There is also a very large card pool for player cards to build the deck. Unless you are going to drop a TON of money on everything that is out this pool will grow as you play. Some cards in some packs are very good and open up new deck types. I never had an issue with how many cards I had because they started to open up new possibilities. If you have an idea that does not seem to work with the card pool you have, a few packs later that theme might start working better.

Ohnonono

Anyone got any experience with Heroes of Normandie and how it compares to Conflict of Heroes?
I have decided to get my first proper wargame after I saw a copy of Conflict of Heroes in New York (but with no way of taking it home) so I am looking through my options and gotten it down to these two (unless someone wanna recommend something else).

I am so jealous right now. :(

Still waiting for mine that DHL probably lost or something...

I love Conflict of Heroes and am patiently waiting for the solo expansion to show up at CSI. It is for my money the best most streamlined war gaming system and now has a very good solo player add on.
If
I have NOT played Heroes of Normandie but in looking at it and seeing some reviews it seems a little fiddly and very component heavy. I am sure it can be fun but I just don't know if I could ever get it on my table.

Keasar

I love Conflict of Heroes and am patiently waiting for the solo expansion to show up at CSI. It is for my money the best most streamlined war gaming system and now has a very good solo player add on.
If
I have NOT played Heroes of Normandie but in looking at it and seeing some reviews it seems a little fiddly and very component heavy. I am sure it can be fun but I just don't know if I could ever get it on my table.
Yeah the solo component (though it is a expansion that has to also be bought) has been a big plus in CoH's side.

While HoN lookes a bit component heavy, I think the quality of the actual components might be a plus in trying to bring it to the table with friends to play.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
That Catacombs game looks pretty fun.

Did anyone back Kingdom Death Monster? I've been seeing people getting their editions here and there that backed the kickstarter all those years ago.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Whelp I bought some LotR LCG after your opinions and a slew of YouTube videos. My body is ready
to spend too much money

fenners

Whelp I bought some LotR LCG after your opinions and a slew of YouTube videos. My body is ready
to spend too much money

;)

You really don't need to spend a lot of money to enjoy it. "Tales From the Cards", a great site about the game, has some good guides to what to buy & in what order depending on what you're looking for.It's got some great tutorials/ideas for deck building too, and this "5 things I wish I'd known when I started playing" is a good read too.

This thread on BGG has a killer deck build from just the core set, and I think it's a great jumping in point, better than the suggested decks in the manual.

As for purchase order, I honestly like the core + sagas, but I like the dwarf/hobbit theme of them...

Top Bottom