• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Exacto knives are fine, the problem is that foam dulls the razor blades fairly quick, and with exacto it's typically quicker. Box cutter or carpet cutter blades are typically tougher and are designed to snap off and easily keep going with same blade.

Draxal

so I got into super dungeon explore really late, after von drakk was discontinued

it looks like it's back up in places, but I can't figure out what I need

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXM1W5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010C4P0EY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2nd one looks appropriate since I have the forgotten king expansion so I have all the new rules and cards and just need the figures.

... Do the new Super Dungeon Explore Legends kickstarter right now, it'll probably be there as an addon in the manager.

As for first edition + second edition, second edition is missing 4 rattlebones (but the Von Drakk tile map comes with 16 of them).

I've seen exacto knives not being recommended. Knives like these are supposed to better. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002C12EHM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If I had the money, I'd totally get these tools. http://www.logangraphic.com/products/foamwerks-tools/ Look at this cool shit.

Edit: Then again, looking at the reviews they are cheaply made.

I like exacto knive because I am used to them but as monkey mention they get dull pretty fast and box cutter knife might be cheaper in the long run.

That said, the initial cash outlay to start making foam insert is really not bad. Cutting knife, elmer glue, metal ruler and cloth pins probably $10-15 altogether from Joann or Michale craft stores (they always have coupons and sales) and then board. All the initial start up cost will last you a long time. I still have my glue and cloth pins left over from when I start doing foamcore project. The most expensive part as someone else mention is the cutting mat but it's not entirely necessary if you have workbench that you don't mind getting cut up (if not then I would really recommend getting one).

I tend to use a rotary cutter (circular blade) for foam core projects. Works really well with a metal edge ruler to get straight cuts and a self healing cutting pad (though the pad is optional as long as you're not cutting on top of something important). Also end up using a hot glue gun to get things nice and solid real quick. I'm not a perfectionist, so I don't mind the visible glue.

And Michaels craft store coupons were a life saver.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn it! Totally forgot to go through the Legacy deck like we were supposed to in our first Pandemic mission (and in the game in general :p). We were kind of start-and-stop playing throughout the day and I was so focused on not forgetting the naming stuff, Scards, etc. that it totally slipped our minds. Thankfully, I think, we didn't even win since we were so focused on containing all outbreaks and eradicating one disease that I don't think it will have much of an impact. Probably going to wreck for a while though since we did 2x improved treatment on the red disease (Big Bird Flu) for an upgrade, and we get those cheap +2 event cards but I'll take it. Now that we have this sort of "practice" game down I'm really looking forward to it because even that was a lot of fun.

mercviper

Played a few more games of Pandemic Legacy tonight. September was rough :x. I wrote recaps on bgg, appropriately spoiler tagged. Link here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20700764

Damn it! Totally forgot to go through the Legacy deck like we were supposed to in our first Pandemic mission (and in the game in general :p). We were kind of start-and-stop playing throughout the day and I was so focused on not forgetting the naming stuff, Scards, etc. that it totally slipped our minds. Thankfully, I think, we didn't even win since we were so focused on containing all outbreaks and eradicating one disease that I don't think it will have much of an impact. Probably going to wreck for a while though since we did 2x improved treatment on the red disease (Big Bird Flu) for an upgrade, and we get those cheap +2 event cards but I'll take it. Now that we have this sort of "practice" game down I'm really looking forward to it because even that was a lot of fun.

I must've missed the naming thing because we haven't named ours yet lol. Looking at the board now there's clearly a spot for the name by the disease tracker. I just thought it was part of the design border haha. Will come up with names for ours next time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played a few more games of Pandemic Legacy tonight. September was rough :x. I wrote recaps on bgg, appropriately spoiler tagged. Link here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20700764

I must've missed the naming thing because we haven't named ours yet lol. Looking at the board now there's clearly a spot for the name by the disease tracker. I just thought it was part of the design border haha. Will come up with names for ours next time.

Yeah the rules are pretty clear but also a bit disjointed -- like they won't mention that you should write the name of the disease down the first time you eradicate it under the treatment section (where it should go), but like in the setup or something. I think it's mostly for superficial stuff though :p. It's like a light mediumweight game (or medium at most, if you want to call regular Pandemic light-mediumw) but there's all these little things to remember...and my Arkham skills at flawless game accounting are a bit rusty. :p

Blizzard

Banned
I played Kingsburg again recently. I hadn't played it in forever, and I have a silly question: Is there supposed to be a space for the white dice when you set up the game? The rules say to put the +2 markers and white dice on their "space", but the only place on the board I see is labeled with the +2 symbol but no die/dice symbol. Additionally, there are a ton of +2 tokens and there does not seem to be much room to put the dice there as well.

Of course this does not matter for gameplay, but I felt silly not being able to find a space on the board for the dice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I played Kingsburg again recently. I hadn't played it in forever, and I have a silly question: Is there supposed to be a space for the white dice when you set up the game? The rules say to put the +2 markers and white dice on their "space", but the only place on the board I see is labeled with the +2 symbol but no die/dice symbol. Additionally, there are a ton of +2 tokens and there does not seem to be much room to put the dice there as well.

Of course this does not matter for gameplay, but I felt silly not being able to find a space on the board for the dice.
Nah you did right -- there's no designated space. Been too long -- I barely remember what those dice do. :p

zulux21

got to play kingdom death monster today. Sadly the owner of the game didn't have the miniatures ready so we used mine from a different game instead but the actual game was pretty fun. Has a very Roguelike feel to it, and the settlement stuff is interesting... though babies feel like they are a bit hard to make, and it was annoying to die to bleeding even though at no point did damage get through my armor.

either way will for sure play it more in the future but won't get it myself any time soon given that the game without figures is going for 150-200 while the game with figures is going for 350-400. My friend backed the version with all the expansions... so that will be fun over the next year or two since it would be really expensive to get in at this point.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Watching Sorastro's painting guide really makes me want to go out and buy paint. His vids make it seem so easy, I'm afraid I'm setting myself up for dissapointment :lol

Kitbash

Watching Sorastro's painting guide really makes me want to go out and buy paint. His vids make it seem so easy, I'm afraid I'm setting myself up for dissapointment :lol
I've been following along with each one and it's going surprisingly well. Although there are still plenty of times where I'll mutter "How the hell did he get his brush in that tiny gap?!"

He does tend to use a bajillion different paints, so be prepared to sink a lot of money into it if you want to follow along exactly.

No you will be fine. I haven't touch paint brushes in decade and mine didn't turn out too bad. My wife never paint miniatures or any kind of models and her miniatures were better than mine. I just have her watch several YouTube videos on how to paint. His guides are awesome.

Dryk

My group decided we'd name our diseases after emergent factors. The only one named at the end of January is blue which is designated as HSV-30 because it's dangerous as hell and everyone in America has it.

The first two games involved an awful lot of blue... it was... stressful... the funniest thing is (January spoilers)
that blue isn't even our super-bug. That's black, which hardly turned up at all in the second game, we just drew a ton of blue cards.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I've been following along with each one and it's going surprisingly well. Although there are still plenty of times where I'll mutter "How the hell did he get his brush in that tiny gap?!"

He does tend to use a bajillion different paints, so be prepared to sink a lot of money into it if you want to follow along exactly.

I just got confirmation my Imperial Assault is in the mail, so it should arrive shortly, and there's a Citadel paint reseller within 15 minutes from my office.

I'm afraid these days just got a lot more expensive.....
No you will be fine. I haven't touch paint brushes in decade and mine didn't turn out too bad. My wife never paint miniatures or any kind of models and her miniatures were better than mine. I just have her watch several YouTube videos on how to paint. His guides are awesome.

This is giving me hope. The last time I painted a mini was about 14 years ago in some apartment, I painted Warhammer 40K minis, which weren't even my own.

Experien

My gf and I tried following his guide. Mostly worked, we didn't do it exactly the same so we didn't get as many dark lines but Stormtroopers aren't super outlined. Here are some of the troopers.

Tried to do each squad a different color so easier to tell them apart. Pristine White, dirty (stopped at after the Dark Wash), and Shadow Troopers (not pictured) which I am still not done cause I don't know if I want to lighten them up and make them less black.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
My gf and I tried following his guide. Mostly worked, we didn't do it exactly the same so we didn't get as many dark lines but Stormtroopers aren't super outlined. Here are some of the troopers.

Tried to do each squad a different color so easier to tell them apart. Pristine White, dirty (stopped at after the Dark Wash), and Shadow Troopers (not pictured) which I am still not done cause I don't know if I want to lighten them up and make them less black.

Looks good.

Keasar

Played my first game of Space Alert yesterday with two friends.

Holy shit that game is fun! I mean, we died horribly because none of us had any idea what we were doing and we forgot to give the Android orders to move so it mostly stood on the bridge and hammered buttons randomly, but man was it fun yelling at each other for 10 minutes trying to come up with a cohesive plan while the computer would spit out new threats constantly that destroyed every plan.

I really have to try and gather a full group of 5 people for this game and play it again.

Karkador

Banned
I finally tried Mysterium last night for the first time, and I was left a bit underwhelmed. I was onboard with the "this game gives Dixit a purpose" hype, and I was really excited for a good mystery game, but I feel like this game doesn't even do the good thing about Dixit. It honestly kind of felt like a chore to get through it.

Can the initiated shed any light on what it's supposed to be?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I finally tried Mysterium last night for the first time, and I was left a bit underwhelmed. I was onboard with the "this game gives Dixit a purpose" hype, and I was really excited for a good mystery game, but I feel like this game doesn't even do the good thing about Dixit. It honestly kind of felt like a chore to get through it.

Ooh, I was just reading through the rules on mine and was looking forward to trying it out. Heard it plays best with 5+.

ultron87

When I read the English version rules the whole "clairvoyance" thing about betting on other people's guesses seemed like an unneeded level of complexity to an otherwise straightforward game.

Karkador

Banned
That clairvoyance part definitely felt like something I didn't care to do much of...and it's bizarre to play this game where you all openly discuss what people's answers could be, whether you think someone is right or wrong, but then also do this second step of voting on the same thing you just discussed? The votes are obvious, and it's not like I have any reason to lie in the discussion.

joelseph

I would put it in the party game group "depends on the people".

Game shines with a really out-spoken and quick-thinking ghost and a chatty investigation group.

Worst situation for the game is to have your ghost head down, deep in thought for extended amount of time. That leaves the rest of the table twiddling their thumbs.

You need to keep everyone engaged and having a good time! Role playing is great for this. Campy ghost noises are awesome. Being quick is key.

Karkador

Banned
I would put it in the party game group "depends on the people".

Game shines with a really out-spoken and quick-thinking ghost and a chatty investigation group.

Worst situation for the game is to have your ghost head down, deep in thought for extended amount of time. That leaves the rest of the table twiddling their thumbs.

You need to keep everyone engaged and having a good time! Role playing is great for this. Campy ghost noises are awesome. Being quick is key.

I thought the ghost was supposed to be quiet? :p FWIW, our ghost hammed it up a bit.

I definitely get that different games shine with certain groups, and I do understand that some people really prefer the context and staging provided by Mysterium, vs. the freeform, improv clues in Dixit.

For me, it just felt like "here's a card, now guess the right matching card", rinse and repeat. The ghost probably had the most "game" to play, since most of it happens behind their player screen.

Dixit has issues, too, but it at least feels like everyone is constantly engaged in using the dream cards and chasing those juicy deception points.

Dreavus

so I got into super dungeon explore really late, after von drakk was discontinued

it looks like it's back up in places, but I can't figure out what I need

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXM1W5Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010C4P0EY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

2nd one looks appropriate since I have the forgotten king expansion so I have all the new rules and cards and just need the figures.

... Do the new Super Dungeon Explore Legends kickstarter right now, it'll probably be there as an addon in the manager.

As for first edition + second edition, second edition is missing 4 rattlebones (but the Von Drakk tile map comes with 16 of them).

I've been looking at the KS page for this all day. Any impressions on the game? I doubt I'd be playing it as a campaign, more as one shot scenarios, but it looks like it supports both ways of playing. And the co-op aspect (monsters controlled by a game "AI") really appeals to me.

The last thing I should be doing is looking for new games, but it does look quite interesting.

Draxal

I've been looking at the KS page for this all day. Any impressions on the game? I doubt I'd be playing it as a campaign, more as one shot scenarios, but it looks like it supports both ways of playing. And the co-op aspect (monsters controlled by a game "AI") really appeals to me.

The last thing I should be doing is looking for new games, but it does look quite interesting.

Honestly, arcade mode isn't there yet. Game's pretty clunky for what it is and you probably have to house rule it a bit to make it more fun, but I think the miniatures are adorable ...

And I was wrong on my previous post in two different points. Don't do the campaign if you're only interested in Von Drakk, and the tile set only has 12 rattlebones).

Jakoo

So I purchased La Granja, and while I can respect the mechanics, it didn't really click with me. It felt like a Steven Feld designed game, but with too much fiddly accounting and almost no interaction (me and my friend played pretty much in silence for like an hour). It made me just want to just replay Castles of Burgundy or Trajan instead of another round.

So I think I am going to try to trade it on BGG for a Rosenburg, and I am torn between two: Glass Road and Fields of Arle. I will play this game primarily with two, and am definitely looking for a more thematic "farming" experience then I felt I got out of La Granja. Any suggestions from this group?

swoon

So I purchased La Granja, and while I can respect the mechanics, it didn't really click with me. It felt like a Steven Feld designed game, but with too much fiddly accounting and almost no interaction (me and my friend played pretty much in silence for like an hour). It made me just want to just replay Castles of Burgundy or Trajan instead of another round.

So I think I am going to try to trade it on BGG for a Rosenburg, and I am torn between two: Glass Road and Fields of Arle. I will play this game primarily with two, and am definitely looking for a more thematic "farming" experience then I felt I got out of La Granja. Any suggestions from this group?

i haven't played fields of arle, but i like glass road at 2 a lot more than 4. it isn't super thematic, besides sharing of craft people because they are walking on the same road to both you and your opponent's farms.

it is very streamlined and elegantly designed, though most of the challenge is predicting what your opponent is going to do and capitalize on that. my fav rosenburg game by far.

like Draxal said, arcade mode isn't quite there yet. The D&D adventure board games are a better co op vs AI system, though SDE is still fun.

Based on how fiddly you thought La Granja was I'd suggest you get Glass Road. I felt Fields of Arle was more complicated than La Granja. There are a lot of moving parts and it takes the Feld point salad style. Glass Road is more straight forward and plays just fantastic with 2.

Jakoo

i haven't played fields of arle, but i like glass road at 2 a lot more than 4. it isn't super thematic, besides sharing of craft people because they are walking on the same road to both you and your opponent's farms.

it is very streamlined and elegantly designed, though most of the challenge is predicting what your opponent is going to do and capitalize on that. my fav rosenburg game by far.

Based on how fiddly you thought La Granja was I'd suggest you get Glass Road. I felt Fields of Arle was more complicated than La Granja. There are a lot of moving parts and it takes the Feld point salad style. Glass Road is more straight forward and plays just fantastic with 2.

I was leaning towards Fields of Arle, but this is helpful feedback. I'll have to read up a bit more on Glass Road. Thanks for this insight!

Dreavus

Honestly, arcade mode isn't there yet. Game's pretty clunky for what it is and you probably have to house rule it a bit to make it more fun, but I think the miniatures are adorable ...

And I was wrong on my previous post in two different points. Don't do the campaign if you're only interested in Von Drakk, and the tile set only has 12 rattlebones).

like Draxal said, arcade mode isn't quite there yet. The D&D adventure board games are a better co op vs AI system, though SDE is still fun.

Thanks. Maybe it's not quite what I was envisioning then, since I feel that co-op is an easier sell to my group than a 1 vs All, although I personally could just take the roll of the 1 and it'd probably still be great.

Maybe I'll see what gets added. The models definitely look awesome.

Musan

I got to try out out the Istanbul: Mocha and Baksheesh expansions. It adds some new places, new goods, more rubies to acquire, and even a barrier to block other merchants from taking certain paths. I liked it, doesn't change the game too much, adds some more strategies, and didn't seem much longer to play than the base game. It was also for them to include replacement stickers for the base game as well.

Lyng

Well if you want farming for two then I dont think you can go wrong with Fields of Arle. Its alot heavier than glass roads though.

Edit: That said, if you want absolute amazeballs euro from Rosenberg you should go for Le Havre.

Nezumi

Hi boardgaming-gaf

I got some money for my birthday and was looking to spend it on a game but I don't now which. It should play well with only two players but doesn't have to be two players only. Other then that it shouldn't be too dependent on luck.

Stuff we already own and enjoy:

Android Netrunner
Race to the Galaxy
Agricola
Hive
Elysium

JSR_Cube

My favorite 2 player games specifically are War of the Ring, Mr. Jack, Lord of the Rings: Confrontation, Tigris and Euphrates, and Blood Bowl. Some of those are more complex but you are playing Agricola already. Take a look at some of those for two player stuff. Most of those are made for two players.

To echo Lyng above, Le Havre is awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
My friend and I finally broke our streak of losing when we play Dominion with anyone besides each other. I won both games playing with a third player, and it was cool that the games played out differently (base plus seaside each time):

The first game had gardens, so everyone rushed those. I ended up with the most, and unfortunately wasn't counting my deck so I ended the game with 39, one card short of the magical 40 for scoring 4 points on each garden. However, I did have a fun moment where I bought an apparently-useless card when I had a bunch of coins, confusing one of the other players...who then realized the very next turn that I was ending the game because of emptying action card stacks, before they could catch up.

The second game had everyone reach critical gold mass with adventurers, gold, mines, etc. at about the same time, and I won the race to get the most provinces.

AMUSIX

If you're open to a 2-player co-op, our recent favorite is Robinson Crusoe
FxQ8h2I.jpg

Just an excellent survival/resource management game with a very, very strong theme.

Even splurged and bought the Daedalus Productions box insert kit ( daedalusproductionsinc.com/ ). Took two evenings to put together, but, wow, am I blown away by how good this is. Really does make set-up and break down incredibly quick.

Top Bottom