• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

So my first impressions of Warhammer Quest Card Game thingy.

I organized it and set it up and played it two times last night. Rules wise I did not have any issues with it. BGG seems like people are having some rules problems but it seemed pretty easy to me in that regard.

I lost both games. My biggest worry was that it would be too easy but so far no worries there. That said even when loosing I felt like I was doing something. In lots of Co-op/solo games you can really see the loss coming from a mile away and it starts to feel futile pretty fast. Again only 2 games in but it does seem more akin to a dungeon crawler where even if you lose hopefully you have a pile of bodies behind you.

For right now it is my Go to game at night. It screams for expansions but also comes with a good bit of content on its own. Honestly if it came with a TON more cards it may be a little overwhelming at first. It felt very smooth to play and was not fiddly at all.

It and the Pathfinder card game are really nothing alike. This one will see more play from me because it sets up faster and feels like I am making way more meaningful choices.

The dice in the game are great IMO. They skew in your favor a good bit so you aren't getting totally screwed but they add a variability that most of these games get from having a big deck of cards to draw from as the heroes. I think I prefer this action based system better.

Those are my ramblings so far for what they are worth. Any questions feel free to ask. I played 2 games including set up and tear down in about 1 1/2 hours. It goes on the "I play this all the time" shelf with Pandemic:The Cure, Elder Sign:Gates of Arkham, and Commands and Colors Ancients.

How would you compare Warhammer Quest to Pathfinder card game. Seem to be similar concepts

emag

*edit* I'm going to go ahead and order Hinterlands though. I like the base set and Seaside, and Prosperity may be coming this Christmas, but Hinterlands sounds nice. I'll probably skip Dark Ages because of all the attack focus, and I might have heard Intrigue is similar...plus I rarely play Dominion with high player counts.

Prosperity and Intrigue are my favorites. They have very solid cards that use the core game mechanics without bringing in extra components or undermining the elegance that makes Dominion what it is. Sure, Intrigue has more interactive/attack cards than the base game, but it is very much in the same style (and it combos so well with base Dominion -- it's clear that content was held back from the base game for Intrigue).

Ohnonono

Joel Eddy (drivethru review) just posted on his twitter today that it wipes the floor with runebound 3rd.

I have a question though. Is it really an adventure game or is it more about bashing monsters?

I want an adventure game to play with my wife, where you actually encounter different things, and not just things you need to do combat with.

The locations and quest card have different effects that make the quests play differently. Out of the 4 actions you have only one of them does damage to enemies. (Basicly a Heal, and Aid for your allies, an Explore, and an Attack.) Combat is a HUGE deal but you are going from location to location, the quest track is also making things happen. I am sure Runebound or Mage Knight have a much larger scope though. This is a dungeon crawl card game. You are bashing monsters and trying to keep moving while staying alive.

As for the Pathfinder question. They are very different. I enjoy this one a good deal more. Pathfinder seems to encourage me to split my party which is weird and is a little bit of a Solo-Co-op. Even though I play Warhammer solo the 2 characters HAVE to help each other (pulling aggro, healing, Aiding (basically letting them bank successes), refreshing actions and such.) Pathfinder to me seems like I am making much less meaningful decisions.

edit:Also a note about Pathfinder, this game so far is more difficult for sure. I have played through most of the first Pathfinder campaign and I don't remember losing a single quest. Again they are way more different then it seems on the face but just FYI.
Also the campaign part of the game seems really cool. Because it was my first night with the game I was just playing a couple of times on the first quest. From tonight on success or fail I will keep going through the campaign. The upgrades are meaningful and feel empowering.

I am pretty smitten with the game. I hope there is at least an expansion with another campaign by spring time or so.

I only did the tutorial for Warhammer Quest and while I was really excited to get this game but so far the mechanic just doesn't grab me. I am not seeing a whole of depth with four fixed actions but I could be wrong as the tutorial left out a lot of stuffs.

I will give a full campaign game a run may be this weekend. To me the game is like a light version of LOTR the card game but without the deckbuilding and very limited options.

Ohnonono

I only did the tutorial for Warhammer Quest and while I was really excited to get this game but so far the mechanic just doesn't grab me. I am not seeing a whole of depth with four fixed actions but I could be wrong as the tutorial left out a lot of stuffs.

I will give a full campaign game a run may be this weekend. To me the game is like a light version of LOTR the card game but without the deckbuilding and very limited options.

Though it borrows the location mechanic from LOTR, other than that they aren't really similar to me. Warhammer is action based, kind of like Dead Men Tell no Tales or something like that, with dice combat.

When I played LOTR (and I played it a ton!) It was deckbuilding and trying to make your deck go off consistently. Also because of no dice combat lots of times you could kind of math out a win or a loss in a given situation. You never really took actions you could fail unless you had to. That stuff may have changed recently for that game though. I played every quest through the Hobbit Saga stuff.

All that said I think someone could totally love both of these games, though maybe because of theme or something I don't think if I owned both I would play both. As much as I like building decks for Netrunner and stuff at some point LOTR became the sort of game I was constantly having to break. I either destroyed a quest or lost horribly. The scope of the games is so different though, and the quest/card pool for LOTR is frigging huge. I can only hope this gets that much support from them.

Karkador

Banned
Played Hack Trick last night. It's a pretty interesting small box game from Poland, where you basically play Tic Tac Toe via a very tight and unforgiving deduction game. The matches are quick, but you need to constantly keep a good idea of what your opponent could be holding, because falling behind even one turn here is deadly. I believe it when they say this game has hidden depth. It also includes some expansion material and variants, for even more options. If you can find it, I recommend it.

Jakoo

Im sure this must have been discussed here at some point, but, I just learned about this official Settlers of Catan novelization that is currently an Amazon daily deal.

I wonder how many chapters are padded with rolling garbage dice and not getting resources five turns in a row:

"Klaus clutched the dice, saying a silent prayer to himself. The winds of winter were approaching and chilling his bones from the cracks in his ramshackle cabin. Without a 7, the sheeps wouldn't come home to roost and he'd certainly die of starvation, if not cold. Tears welling in his eyes, he rolled"

So my first impressions of Warhammer Quest Card Game thingy.

I organized it and set it up and played it two times last night. Rules wise I did not have any issues with it. BGG seems like people are having some rules problems but it seemed pretty easy to me in that regard.

I lost both games. My biggest worry was that it would be too easy but so far no worries there. That said even when loosing I felt like I was doing something. In lots of Co-op/solo games you can really see the loss coming from a mile away and it starts to feel futile pretty fast. Again only 2 games in but it does seem more akin to a dungeon crawler where even if you lose hopefully you have a pile of bodies behind you.

For right now it is my Go to game at night. It screams for expansions but also comes with a good bit of content on its own. Honestly if it came with a TON more cards it may be a little overwhelming at first. It felt very smooth to play and was not fiddly at all.

It and the Pathfinder card game are really nothing alike. This one will see more play from me because it sets up faster and feels like I am making way more meaningful choices.

The dice in the game are great IMO. They skew in your favor a good bit so you aren't getting totally screwed but they add a variability that most of these games get from having a big deck of cards to draw from as the heroes. I think I prefer this action based system better.

Those are my ramblings so far for what they are worth. Any questions feel free to ask. I played 2 games including set up and tear down in about 1 1/2 hours. It goes on the "I play this all the time" shelf with Pandemic:The Cure, Elder Sign:Gates of Arkham, and Commands and Colors Ancients.
Sounds promising. Wonder how it compares to Mistfall, which I've been eyeing as well.

I'm so jealous. I wish I was into board games when I was living in Japan.. I don't remember seeing any of this kind of stuff.. but I wasn't looking either.

I haven't really played any heavy games yet, but I started getting into board games searching for something that might feel a bit like Dark Souls. I don't really care much for Western fantasy, but there just HAS to be some Japanese fantasy games that fit the bill...

Anyway, looking forward to your impressions~!

If it wasn't for the geek I would never found out about game market or some of the shops there. It's certainly hard to find.

So far I've only played Father Mole, it was like a more cute mix of Incan Gold with Thebes. I don't think there's anything like Dark Souls yet, but pretty sure something will pop up, scene there is getting bigger and bigger. Number from previous game markets have grown exponentially in the last few years.

Though it borrows the location mechanic from LOTR, other than that they aren't really similar to me. Warhammer is action based, kind of like Dead Men Tell no Tales or something like that, with dice combat.

When I played LOTR (and I played it a ton!) It was deckbuilding and trying to make your deck go off consistently. Also because of no dice combat lots of times you could kind of math out a win or a loss in a given situation. You never really took actions you could fail unless you had to. That stuff may have changed recently for that game though. I played every quest through the Hobbit Saga stuff.

All that said I think someone could totally love both of these games, though maybe because of theme or something I don't think if I owned both I would play both. As much as I like building decks for Netrunner and stuff at some point LOTR became the sort of game I was constantly having to break. I either destroyed a quest or lost horribly. The scope of the games is so different though, and the quest/card pool for LOTR is frigging huge. I can only hope this gets that much support from them.

I agree with you and one of the reason we stop playing LoTR the card game, was the fact that you constantly having to make a deck just to beat certain scenarios became a turn off for us. I don't know, but I feel like I am just cheating the game by adding cards in just to neuter the scenario and if you don't you just get horribly destroy. I know part of the fun for a lot of people is deckbuilding but I sort of over that stage of my gaming (used to play a lot of CCG in my younger years).

That said, part of my attraction to Warhammer Quest is because I do like the LOTR and Pathfinders (also Mistfall) style of games where you explore a location and battle against the deck and not having to build a deck was a big plus. Mistfall has great potential but the game came with terrible rules and confusing timing also with no dice and limited card pool once you figure out the combo you just rinse and repeat the rest of the scenario. Pathfinders to me was not very fun at all, as much as I like the idea, the game became random exercise of flipping cards and hoping you have the right stat.

Anyway, I will give this game a real go this weekend playing a full game and see if it click with me or my daughter (if I can convince her into playing).

Sounds promising. Wonder how it compares to Mistfall, which I've been eyeing as well.

I think you will like Warhammer Quest better than Mistfall. Misfall is more like a puzzle type of games where you figure out a combo with cards you have. The rule set need a lot of clearing up and can lead to much frustration. There is great potential for Mistfall but for me I find it sort of boring after a little while because you just do the same thing over and over. I am still searching for LOTR type of game where I don't have to build a deck.

Dryk

Played August in Pandemic Legacy last night. Lost pretty badly the first time, won the second.
Ended up spending our July bonus and an end-game upgrade slot setting up a military base in City Zero and then nuking it (it had already fallen). Hopefully our assumption that we'll need to search it at some point in the future pays off.

I got my brothers Love Letter Batman and Sushi Go for Christmas. Hopefully both turn out reasonably fun for 2-5 players.

They're both nice light and quick filler games (I have the Tempest Love Letter, but it isn't that different). Both might take a few rounds for people to click with the mechanics (and some specific cards, e.g. Chopsticks in Sushi Go), so it may be an idea to run a practice round or game to ease people in.

Ohnonono

I agree with you and one of the reason we stop playing LoTR the card game, was the fact that you constantly having to make a deck just to beat certain scenarios became a turn off for us. I don't know, but I feel like I am just cheating the game by adding cards in just to neuter the scenario and if you don't you just get horribly destroy. I know part of the fun for a lot of people is deckbuilding but I sort of over that stage of my gaming (used to play a lot of CCG in my younger years).

That said, part of my attraction to Warhammer Quest is because I do like the LOTR and Pathfinders (also Mistfall) style of games where you explore a location and battle against the deck and not having to build a deck was a big plus. Mistfall has great potential but the game came with terrible rules and confusing timing also with no dice and limited card pool once you figure out the combo you just rinse and repeat the rest of the scenario. Pathfinders to me was not very fun at all, as much as I like the idea, the game became random exercise of flipping cards and hoping you have the right stat.

Anyway, I will give this game a real go this weekend playing a full game and see if it click with me or my daughter (if I can convince her into playing).

Your impressions on this stuff line up with my own pretty right on. Hopefully you enjoy the game when you play it a bit more.

As another note I played again last night and lost again (Close though!) I am using the Ironbreaker and the Warrior Priest. I am pretty sure you can play with any 2 characters and win (especially after upgrades) but this may be one of the harder combinations. Need to be rethinking my strategy a bit.

So far the push between using explore actions to travel and dealing with enemies one way or another is the biggest issue. My first instinct is to try to "clear" a room before traveling, but I think trying to use more aggro control/tank tactics and stuff will help me get by that little bit I need to to get the win. Action combos and synergy between your characters can make a huge difference in having the ability ready that you need in a pinch.

Very excited to play again tonight.

Machi Koro Deluxe Edition is Miniature Market's Daily Deal for half off.

I remember some people here liked it, reads like it's a card game. Is it a deck builder or something? The page doesn't really describe game play.

It's a light, easy to learn game that I enjoy. It's the first board game I bought (started collecting this year), and I chose this mainly because the mechanics were easy for my wife to grasp; she also loves the card art. It's not a deck builder. You have properties on the table that have different costs and payouts, and it's all based on dice rolls (one card gives you a coin when you roll a 1 or 2, and so on). The first person to build all of their landmark buildings wins. Really good video teaching the gameplay here: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X6y02IGRE-U

However, there are some issues with the deluxe edition, such as bad printing runs where some people's cards had inconsistent colors, missing cards, cards stuck together, and warped (curled) cards. I think the card stock quality also got worse compared to vanilla. There's a BGG thread about this: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1446416/card-quality-deluxe-version-poor-finish-colour-thi

The forum has similar threads, too: https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1612564/machi-koro-deluxe-edition/general

I'd love to get the deluxe edition so I can get all the expansions, and $25 seems a good deal, but after reading about all these issues I am just gonna wait and see if reprint comes out in the future. I could get the expansions on their own, but the card size for the expansions are different from the base game cards; apparently they switched to the smaller size. I've read that you can mail your base set to IDW and they will replace it with the new, smaller size. I dunno if I want to do that, since it might be using the poorer quality card stock. I feel kinda bad about all this because Machi Koro was my first "enthusiast" (not Monopoly) board game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yes, I think it was [redacted]'s company. He hasn't posted here in a while :(

Haha why is it redacted?

super-famicom pretty much nailed the description so not much to add there. I started playing with Harbor rules where it's more like Ascension than Dominion. Not 100% sure I like those rules though just because at least in our game the market got really crowded with 6+ cards that didn't combo with anything so there just wasn't a ton of value on the board. In Ascension there's usually almost always something good to do whereas there is no "Silver" or "Mystic" generic card to buy in Machi Koro. Still digging the game as a gateway though.

Haha why is it redacted?

super-famicom pretty much nailed the description so not much to add there. I started playing with Harbor rules where it's more like Ascension than Dominion. Not 100% sure I like those rules though just because at least in our game the market got really crowded with 6+ cards that didn't combo with anything so there just wasn't a ton of value on the board. In Ascension there's usually almost always something good to do whereas there is no "Silver" or "Mystic" generic card to buy in Machi Koro. Still digging the game as a gateway though.

Yeah, Harbor rules improve the game a lot, and those rules can still be used with the base game.

Someone on r/boardgames also posted this variant:

A lot of people curb this luck aspect by doing the "Three Decks" approach. It's a variant where you shuffle all non-starter, non-purple cards with dice rolls of 1-6 into one pile, 7-12 into another pile, then all the purple cards into a third pile. Turn cards from the first two piles face-up until you have four unique cards of each "level" (stack repeats on top of one another), then turn two purple cards face-up. Your pool should always have 10 unique cards face-up: four 1-6, four 7-12, and two purple.

I've played using this (and I've done a minor tweak where we do five-five-two to increase available options) and it's really helped the game a lot. It reduces the chance of strategies getting totally hosed over while still leaving in a bit of randomness.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh nice I really like that variant. Our mistake was playing harbor rules with my non-gamer parents and they were just like wtf what are we even supposed to do and I couldn't really disagree too much based on the board state.

Karkador

Banned
I'd say that if you're playing Machi Koro with any sort of beginner gamers, maybe just play with the pre-defined set of stacks, like the base game or Dominion. You can randomize a set if you have the expansion cards. Or do one of those other variants, where there's always wheat fields and ranches available to buy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'd say that if you're playing Machi Koro with any sort of beginner gamers, maybe just play with the pre-defined set of stacks, like the base game or Dominion. You can randomize a set if you have the expansion cards. Or do one of those other variants, where there's always wheat fields and ranches available to buy.

Yep, that was a live-and-learn moment. But thankfully I'm pretty good at telling when people aren't into games so we pulled the ripcord pretty fast.

Played some Treasure Hunters at lunch today. Neat light little drafting game from Richard Garfield. I hadn't heard of it before, but I enjoyed it.

Oh nice I really like that variant. Our mistake was playing harbor rules with my non-gamer parents and they were just like wtf what are we even supposed to do and I couldn't really disagree too much based on the board state.

That doesn't sound like it work well, I though the whole deal about getting around the broken combo is to randomize the cards set up so people can't just go for one strategy. My son pretty much broke this game the first time we played. Someone told me to stop people from using that strategy is to do the same thing and I am thinking well then everyone is essentially doing the same strategy and where is the fun in that.

I don't know Machi Koro is my one disappointing purchases this year.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That doesn't sound like it work well, I though the whole deal about getting around the broken combo is to randomize the cards set up so people can't just go for one strategy. My son pretty much broke this game the first time we played. Someone told me to stop people from using that strategy is to do the same thing and I am thinking well then everyone is essentially doing the same strategy and where is the fun in that.

The cards are still random though, just that you guarantee there will be cards at all levels instead of getting cluttered up with, e.g., 8+ cards (which is what happened to us).

Blizzard

Banned

I suspect something similar, but I want at least to try it with this variant before I put it under my "hardly ever play" table.

I'm playing around with the idea of starting a board game and card lounge.

Any important legal matters I should know about? I'm hoping to do more than just sell Magic Cards and Miniatures, which is pretty much what all the local shops do.

Experien

Any important legal matters I should know about? I'm hoping to do more than just sell Magic Cards and Miniatures, which is pretty much what all the local shops do.

I think most want to do more than magic/minis but that is what keep most stores in business.

You could try posting on BGG and try contacting some people that run board game cafes.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
http://www.gencon.com/press/stadiumexpansion

Gen Con is expanding into the football stadium next year! That's great news for the crowding of the actual convention spaces. They'll at least be getting an entire extra hall back by moving True Dungeon.

Wow! Does that mean a better situation for the hall and hotels? Might go if that's the case. Although I also heard that BGG.Con had way better space issues this year too so I guess that's now also back on the table. Dang, need time for at least three board-game trips every year. ;P

Wow! Does that mean a better situation for the hall and hotels? Might go if that's the case. Although I also heard that BGG.Con had way better space issues this year too so I guess that's now also back on the table. Dang, need time for at least three board-game trips every year. ;P

Hotels is still a problem. Though read someone say that new hotel is opening up too in downtown and some more rooms being added at another so there might be more lodging available?

Room space is always going to be an issue since it's not up to the gencon people.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

If you want to sell food and/or beverages, you might have to adhere to legislation. Best you can do is make a businessplan, and run it by the local Chamber of Commerce. They can tell you what you'll need.

Browny

Banned

If you want to make money, then you'll need to buy from the distributors. But to get decent prices, you'll likely need to commit to a monthly or annual spend with them. So the onus is on you to shift your stock; you can't afford to have it sat on the shelf, as you're committed to purchasing a certain amount in each period.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Wow, apparantly, CMON is doing a two-wave shipping. The Zombicide lack Plague core boxes should arrive before Christmas, all the extras and the Wolfsburg expansion will arrive early in 2016.

Unfortunately, I don't know how this will help. It definitely won't help hotel-wise (Lucas Oil was already nearby). They might move the tournament hall and expand the floor space of the vendor hall. That should help, but like everything in life, it'll boil down to money. Vendor floor space was at a premium, which kept some companies out, so if the vendor hall eats the tourney space, there'll be a lot more companies and a lot more spacing. That should help with Saturday hell.

Unfortunately, I don't know how this will help. It definitely won't help hotel-wise (Lucas Oil was already nearby). They might move the tournament hall and expand the floor space of the vendor hall. That should help, but like everything in life, it'll boil down to money. Vendor floor space was at a premium, which kept some companies out, so if the vendor hall eats the tourney space, there'll be a lot more companies and a lot more spacing. That should help with Saturday hell.

Its just giving more event space for games and such. Which is nice but really they had lot of space being mismanaged at the con center already with tons of empty rooms given to events no one was doing.

Ohnonono

Maybe my last impression of Warhammer Quest Card Game because at some point I may get annoying!

Set up and played last night finally got a victory with the Warrior Priest and Ironbreaker! Ended up getting some armor for the Ironbreaker that gave him +4 health and a Shield for the Warrior Priest that allowed him to use a success token to reduce an enemies attack value by 2. Focused a bit more on moving fast and healing, a little less on bashing skulls (though I still did plenty of that!) and I made it through. Dwarf ended up with 2 health left (not counting the armor so he was pretty good,) and the WP had one single health point left after the final attack, the only reason he had it is because he used the shield to reduce the final attack that would have killed him.

Holy shit this game. May play more tonight or may just spend some time deciding how to upgrade my guys for the next quest. The upgrade choices seem pretty meaningful so I want to make good choices in hope that I can keep up the wins!

Wow, apparantly, CMON is doing a two-wave shipping. The Zombicide lack Plague core boxes should arrive before Christmas, all the extras and the Wolfsburg expansion will arrive early in 2016.

Yep, they miss the Kickstarter date on this one too. So I guess they will ship out all the core box to keep people happy. I always thought the December ship date was crazy plan.

I guess 3 out of 5 is not bad for the games I backed on Kickstarter this year. Only two that missed the deadline are the one from CMON.

Top Bottom