• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Xater

Played Codenames with some friends from work tonight. It's the first time it has gotten out with alcohol at the table and that shit was hysterical. One guy used his phone to keep a list of only our words, which made him virtually blind to the other words on the board (in addition to his drunkenness..

"Hint: animal, 3."
"Lion."
"Nope."
"Eagle."
"Nope."
"Shark."
"Fuck, we're dead."

One of many "what were you thinking?!" moments of the night.

I also think you have been playing wing. When you make a wing guess it's the turn of the other team.

Damn you man....Rushed out and bought the game yesterday because of your posts.
Hope to get it to the table soon.

I think you will love it. This game essentially what I want from LOTR LCG without the deckbuilding, or Mistfall but doesn't have the boring repetitive combo engine, and Pathfinders but not boring. This game essentially replaced those three games for me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nah, those were three separate turns of ours, shortened to emphasize just how bad the clue was. Our spy master literally said, "Animal threeFUCCKKKK!"

Haha yeah...sometimes Codenames comes down to that. Like if you have a group of three things in one category, but two are the opponent's -- it can be really tough. You sometimes have to pick them off one by one.

Lyng

I think you will love it. This game essentially what I want from LOTR LCG without the deckbuilding, or Mistfall but doesn't have the boring repetitive combo engine, and Pathfinders but not boring. This game essentially replaced those three games for me.

Only played the tutorial tonight, which of course was very easy and someone simplistic. But I really enjoy how you do your actions. You are not dependant on drawing from a deck and there are alot of meaningful decisions to think about. I am very intrigued. Going to play the first quest with my wife tomorrow. She really enjoyed it too.
Also the dungeon decks is fun, I love how events can pop up and not just items or enemies.
If the quests, and building is well done too I will love this game.

Actually traded away the LOTR LCG because it felt too fiddly and the fact that you had to build your deck was not what I wanted from a adventure card game.
It was too slow to setup and way to fiddle for what it was.

Haha yeah...sometimes Codenames comes down to that. Like if you have a group of three things in one category, but two are the opponent's -- it can be really tough. You sometimes have to pick them off one by one.

It really is amazing the way the combinations fall from one game to the next. Sometimes the dream comes together and you hit on a hint of Michael Phelps 6 to get trunk, suit, Olympus, sub, etc. Others, the kill word is suit, your word is dress, and skirting the line between the two is a challenging finesse job.

My favorite story so far though was the second time we sat down to play. We set the mood to our games with thematic music when possible, so what the hell... a playlist of all the Bond themes. Lo and behold, our first assassin is the word "bond." Unbelievable. My spymaster who had to portray agent and embassy to us was inconsolable.

I'm a high school math teacher and am trying to turn it into a game for Geometry vocabulary for next semester. The game truly makes you identify the connections between terms and has different roles for people of different skill levels. It's also fun as hell and a far cry more interesting than the unengaging way we review terminology at present.

Only played the tutorial tonight, which of course was very easy and someone simplistic. But I really enjoy how you do your actions. You are not dependant on drawing from a deck and there are alot of meaningful decisions to think about. I am very intrigued. Going to play the first quest with my wife tomorrow. She really enjoyed it too.
Also the dungeon decks is fun, I love how events can pop up and not just items or enemies.
If the quests, and building is well done too I will love this game.

Actually traded away the LOTR LCG because it felt too fiddly and the fact that you had to build your deck was not what I wanted from a adventure card game.
It was too slow to setup and way to fiddle for what it was.

The full Quest game is a way to play this game proper (or even better I campaign game as you get to do Settlement and level up). I played tutorial first and was actually disappointed but seeing Ohnonono impression, I gave the full quest mode a run yesterday and the game is very well design and eliminated most of the problems I have with the other three games.

After Playing Blood Bowl 2 on the PS4 over the past several days, I'm really wanting GW to do a kick ass re-release.

The game is so intense. I miss the face to face interaction of the table top version.

After Playing Blood Bowl 2 on the PS4 over the past several days, I'm really wanting GW to do a kick ass re-release.

The game is so intense. I miss the face to face interaction of the table top version.
I'm praying for the Necromunda re-release. My out of town friend had my two base sets, expansion, and 5 extra gangs. After hearing that it's coming back, my local friends and I got interested in playing. I asked for my stuff back and it turned out that his kids mangled a bunch of models and terrain, and when they moved cities, sent it all to the landfill. Needless to say, I'm heartbroken. I guess I'll have to rebuy it when it comes out. :(

The original game is still great, rules are online and teams are easy to make using any GW minis or 3rd party figs. We not to long ago had a small league, was tons of fun. I had a nurgle team I just made using converted fantasy figs

Flash Point on heroic is no joke. Played with four characters and things quickly got out of hand. The building ended up collapsing. D: Probably should have worked up more to heroic.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
My first foamcore insert project is done, and I have mixed feelings about it. The card trays have become almost perfect, nice fit and everything. The sections for the minis... not so much. There was very little room for error to begin with (25mm wide section for a 24mm base), but most sections are simply too small, I had to place the minis in upside down.
I'm going to redo those parts somewhere in the near future, but instead of cutting and glueing all the individual sections, I'm going to cross-join the walls, which should allow for better and easier placement, and also a more exact measurement.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the opinions, everyone. I ended up getting my girlfriend both Jaipur AND 7 Wonders Duel for Christmas so I didn't have to decide. =P

I was lucky CoolStuffInc got 7 Wonders Duel back in stock, since everywhere else seemed to be running out of it, including my local game store.

joelseph

Jaipur. This game haunts me. I tend to always take an early lead and look to be ahead on deals and bonuses but then I always lose out in scoring. I'm talking like 9-10 loses. I have tried skewing towards camels at different times, focusing on top end goods, focusing on low end goods, etc. Damn Jaipur. I will master you.

Neverfade

I don't know if I've ever won a game of Jaipur. My wife wins all the time. I can take a round every now and then, but I just can't bring it home.

Then we play Innovation and she's on the receiving end of it! I think she mostly still plays just so she can eventually say she's actually won a game.

I still don't have a copy of Warhammer Quest ACG. What is wrong with me. I need it.
Went with Runebound 3rd instead. I like it, but fucking christ that game takes forever with 4.

I don't know if I've ever won a game of Jaipur. My wife wins all the time. I can take a round every now and then, but I just can't bring it home.

Then we play Innovation and she's on the receiving end of it! I think she mostly still plays just so she can eventually say she's actually won a game.

My wife and I are pretty even on Jaipur. She destroys me at Innovation nearly every time though.

Lyng

Played the first Quest of the campaign for Warhammer Quest: An Adventure Card game today.

Wow! I love this game. Its so straight forward to play yet really challenging.
Actually managed to beat the first quest (partly due to insane roll on the final location: 3 blank black dice, one 2 x success + 1 critical success)

We got beat pretty bad and got a few minor rule hicups here and there but overall its very straight forward.

But I am sure we will not beat the whole campaign in our first try. The first quest alone was getting very close to defeat.

Brilliant game though, really love it, and I am amazed at how it captures the adventure feel. I actually read the fluff text in this one.

Bravo Fantasy Flight!

Ohnonono

Played the first Quest of the campaign for Warhammer Quest: An Adventure Card game today.

Wow! I love this game. Its so straight forward to play yet really challenging.
Actually managed to beat the first quest (partly due to insane roll on the final location: 3 blank black dice, one 2 x success + 1 critical success)

We got beat pretty bad and got a few minor rule hicups here and there but overall its very straight forward.

But I am sure we will not beat the whole campaign in our first try. The first quest alone was getting very close to defeat.

Brilliant game though, really love it, and I am amazed at how it captures the adventure feel. I actually read the fluff text in this one.

Bravo Fantasy Flight!

Nice! I played with 3 people Sat. night and we barely won the first quest. Recorded our stuff so we can keep going. Last night I played the second quest with my upgrades and stuff. I lost (close!) When you lose you still do your upgrades you just end up with less chances to get the legendary gear and the bosses and some bad cards follow you to the next quest making it harder. I am going to just keep going. By the rules if you win the last quest in the campaign that is the only true win or loss. Second quest was really rough. I did no read ahead though so I didn't really prep for some of the stuff I maybe would have.

Yeah this game is basically what I wanted Pathfinder and most of the other fantasy card games to be. They just managed to do it with way less crap in the box( not an insult, it sets up and breaks down super fast). My hats off to them, I hope this game gets more stuff in the next year.

Lyng

I can only compare it to the LotR LCG, which I ended up trading away.

This feels alot less fiddly. The actions and general flow makes sense, and it actually feels very thematic, which surprised me.
Also the fact that this is true coop, you are forced to work together and play to each others characters strength if you want even a hint of a chance.

Just a brilliant game really. Definately GOTY for me.

Ohnonono

Alright, break it down for me - what does this Warhammer ACG game do to fix Pathfinder ACG?

To me the Pathfinder ACG had a couple of issues that left me not super happy with it.

It took forever to set-up/break down, and if you wanted to play with new people or just play an old quest again you were sorting through hundreds of cards looking for cards to take out. Warhammer sets up fast and breaks down fast. The fact that you aren't making "unique" decks that need to stay together you can reset and play it with no trouble at all.

The scale felt too big for the game. They were trying to take you on a campaign and imo it ended up all feeling pretty drab. The quests felt very similar to each other and the checks felt pretty random. In Warhammer you fell like your in a dungeon smashing things and trying to accomplish a goal. You have the tools to do it as long as you play smart (though Warhammer is much harder in my experience.) The quest cards and game cards have neat flavor text and story on them and that and the art is enough to get the theme across with the scope they are going for. Your in a shitty Warhammer town and the you are trying to solve issues while the crazy townspeople act like nutballs.

The dice in this game also seem well balanced. That is an odd thing to say but when I roll I don't ever feel "screwed." Custom dice can be really good or really bad and in this case the balance so far seems very good. I am pretty sure they skew more in your favor.

Warhammer also feels more active than Pathfinder did. The rolling system helps with the because while you are doing anything stuff is constantly trying to attack you. You feel surrounded. If you don't know how the dice work, you have white Hero dice and black Enemy dice. Anytime you use an action you will roll dice to see how many successes you get (how much damage you do/how much you heal etc.) For each enemy that is aggroed on you and not exhausted you also have to roll an enemy dice. If it has claw marks the enemy damages you, if its blank they don't, if you get the boss symbol something bad happens depending on the quest and bosses that are in play. It feels like stuff is frantic, but the game is very easy to keep track of.

This is all a bit wordy and I am not the best at explaining game stuff but for me it finally delivers on a game that is light on set-up/play time and soloable but deep on strategy and theme. I have only been board gaming for a couple of years and very easily get caught up in how much STUFF is in a game. This game has kinda taught me different.

I don't like to evangelize things too much because I never know if my taste is just my own, and I don't want people to waste money. That said these are my impressions after 5 solo plays and one 3 player game.

zulux21

Also, can someone explain how either of these games actually work? I don't get it and have never played any of them, but this Warhammer one sounds interesting.

I can explain pathfinder.

you make a character, made up of 15 cards (that give you equipment/spells/items ect based on your class and basic cards) and then go off on an adventure with other people where you have to go through location decks and find a boss and beat him (while sealing all of the other areas)

your 15 cards are also your HP, so when you take damage you have to lose cards, and when you run out of cards you die.

in the location decks there are enemies, traps, items, equipment to get and checks to make that you roll dice for to see if you succeed.

the game is super confusing to learn by yourself, but if you know someone who knows it or learn it, it's actually pretty simple and straightforward.

recommend number of players 2-4 (I think either 3 or 4 is the best though) even though it supports 5 or 6 if I recall right.

just to be sure because there are 40,000 warhammer games... this is the card game you are talking about in the above post right?

Ohnonono

Follow up question: How does it compare to Shadowrun Crossfire?

I have never played Crossfire unfortunately. You don't build a deck in this though, you just have 4 actions that you use. My buddy that played with me said he liked Warhammer more because it felt like he had more choices that could lead to success, and to him Shadowrun ended up kind of like a deckbuilder you had to break to win. Not my impressions though.

Ohnonono

I can explain pathfinder.

you make a character, made up of 15 cards (that give you equipment/spells/items ect based on your class and basic cards) and then go off on an adventure with other people where you have to go through location decks and find a boss and beat him (while sealing all of the other areas)

your 15 cards are also your HP, so when you take damage you have to lose cards, and when you run out of cards you die.

in the location decks there are enemies, traps, items, equipment to get and checks to make that you roll dice for to see if you succeed.

the game is super confusing to learn by yourself, but if you know someone who knows it or learn it, it's actually pretty simple and straightforward.

recommend number of players 2-4 (I think either 3 or 4 is the best though) even though it supports 5 or 6 if I recall right.

just to be sure because there are 40,000 warhammer games... this is the card game you are talking about in the above post right?

That is the game yeah, this is the BGG page https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181521/warhammer-quest-adventure-card-game .

Lost another game of Flash Point, this time on veteran. Maybe I'm just a sore loser but I really think the dice aren't rolling randomly. I've noticed temporary patterns develop and it my guess is that the black die doesn't roll well.

Palmer_v1

Lost another game of Flash Point, this time on veteran. Maybe I'm just a sore loser but I really think the dice aren't rolling randomly. I've noticed temporary patterns develop and it my guess is that the black die doesn't roll well.

check your D8. I had one that came with this game that wasn't made well. One face was much smaller and the whole thing was kinda warped.

EYEL1NER

Whoop! Been a couple weeks, but Patchwork and Flick Em Up should be arriving tomorrow night. Can't wait to open up Flick Em Up. I've been eyeing my coffee table as a play space since a MM box arrived two weeks ago and those two games weren't in the box.

Blizzard

Banned
A die might be unbalanced, but I don't see how it could have "temporary patterns" unless there's some sort of state to the die. Like, an internal weight that temporarily switches to different faces, or pieces chipping off a die. :p

emag

We brought Blood Rage to the table last night. I'm not sure how I feel about the game -- losing the dice, slow progression, and radically different factions allows for a faster and cleaner than Chaos in the Old World, but also one with a markedly different feel.

For those who are unfamiliar, Blood Rage is rocketing up the BGG rankings (released last month, currently #12 thematic, #64 strategic, #144 overall) for rational reasons: it's a thematic Euro with Viking dudes on a map fighting and pillaging to gain glory before Ragnarok designed by FFG veteran Eric Lang and packing in a lot of detailed minis. Mechanically, it heavily features area control/combat and card drafting/play. It's also marketed/reviewed as an iterative design upon Lang's previous work on Midgard and Chaos in the Old World. These are all winning concepts.

Blood Rage is played over three rounds. Each round begins with a card draft (deal out eight cards to each player, then pick a card and pass the remainder left, repeating until six cards are selected). Some of the drafted cards are unit/faction upgrades, some are quests that provide rewards at the end of the round if particular conditions are met (have most strength in a particular province, have 4 dead units), and some are combat modifiers. Each player then takes actions in turn order -- placing dudes on the map, calling pillage/combat, or playing drafted cards -- until everyone runs out of action points ("rage") or passes. Calling pillage triggers allows units adjacent to the province to be pillaged to be brought in by their respective players and if there are multiple players' units in the province (or ships in the adjacent fjord) after this step, combat occurs. It's a simple matter of unit strength + simultaneously revealed combat modifier card (although some have text abilities; all in all rather similar to combat in Game of Thrones). The winner of the combat loses the card played, but wins VP. The loser loses all units in the province (and adjacent ships). If the winner is also the player who called pillage, the winner gains the reward printed on the pillage tile for the province. All of that is relatively straightforward.

The meat of the game lies in the card drafting/play and the ordering of actions. Do you want to build your clan so that it earns rewards for losing battles/sacrificing units? Or do you want to focus on questing and having dudes remaining on the map? Or are you going to go all in on winning combat with your leader unit and chain-pillaging? Each of the eight provinces can only be pillaged once per round (and one province is removed from play each round), so there aren't that many opportunities for pillaging/combat. Are you going to play your clan upgrades first and risk having other players pillage in the meantime? Or are you going to spam those cheap units? Or do you want to play the zero-cost quest cards and come in late to avoid combat?

At the end of our game, the winner wound up with a score of 250 glory (scoring heavily in the last round with the combinations of Odin's Thone + 3 quests and Frigga's Domain + ships that earned 12 VP upon destruction). Two others were around 130 (through a couple quests and standard track/combat scoring). The last player resigned at the start of the second round upon determining that winning was hopeless based on the first round's play.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was hoping that the two players who disliked/hated Chaos in the Old World would find Blood Rage to their liking. And indeed they did. So mission accomplished? I'm not so sure. I've grown a bit tired of games like Agricola and Seasons, which are effectively short card drafting games padded out with a ton of rote gameplay. Blood Rage is similar; any sort of long-term strategy is decided by the draft. The time in between is filled with the tactical (and a bit AP-prone) ordering of actions. Here there's much more of an emphasis on timing and ordering of actions (given that combat/pillaging can be called at any time, rather than just at the end of the round). Of course, the draft is a huge component of Blood Rage as well, whereas selecting upgrade cards in CitOW was quite obvious. The structure of Blood Rage means that the third (final) round is one of massive scoring potential, greatly overshadowing the prior two, unlike CitOW in which every round mattered.

Perhaps the most obvious difference between CitOW and Blood Rage is the theme. I don't really know much about Warhammer, but the asymmetric factions with their own abilities, win/dial conditions, and cards really made the game interesting from the very start. Each player in Blood Rage starts off with a functionally identical clan and only by late game do the differences have a chance to emerge. Additionally, whereas in CitOW Tzeentch would be playing cards to move Khorne's warriors into populous areas to slaughter Nurgle's cultists while Slaanesh would be converting enemy units to his own side to deny others dial advancements, in Blood Rage the necessity/ability of keeping other players in check is much reduced; here you're out for yourself, first and foremost. And to be honest, although I profess a disdain for dice-based combat, it works pretty well in CitOW. And it's certainly more exciting than Blood Rage's GoT-esque approach.

In short, Blood Rage is certainly competent, but it makes me appreciate Chaos in the Old World all the more.

A die might be unbalanced, but I don't see how it could have "temporary patterns" unless there's some sort of state to the die. Like, an internal weight that temporarily switches to different faces, or pieces chipping off a die. :p
I'm not sure how to better explain it. It is as if some regions of the board gain a temporary bias. Maybe I'll do some testing with it.

Karkador

Banned
Ooh, whoops, it was right there in the post!

I do think FFG would probably be willing to send you new dice; free or otherwise. It's also likely that you wouldn't have to replace the whole set.

Ooh, whoops, it was right there in the post!

I do think FFG would probably be willing to send you new dice; free or otherwise. It's also likely that you wouldn't have to replace the whole set.
I doubt they could guarantee that the new dice would be better.

When I go back over to where my copy of Flash Point is (the SO's apartment) I'll be testing the dice. The d8 has to be off and the d6 might be crap too.

EYEL1NER

Patchwork came in as scheduled. I read the rules, watched a tutorial video with my wife, and then we played a 30m game. I enjoyed it a lot. I started filling solid spaces form a corner while my wife just haphazardly bought and placed tiles. Close to the end of the game I completed the 7x7 square and got the special tile. I filled a good 3/4 of my board and it looked like my wife had fewer blank squares left, but I won +2 to -3.
I liked it and like the strategy in the game. My wife thought it was boring though, so that sucks. Another thing that sucked was that a punchboard was missing one of the 1x1 leather tiles, leaving me with 4 of 5 to put on the time board. I already sent an email off to Mayfair, so hopefully they can hook me up with one.
After that my wife, daughter, and I played a game of Labyrinth. I didn't even bother to crack open the shrink around the punchboards in Flick Em Up today but my daughter really wants to play it. Maybe I'll dig into the rules tomorrow. Hopefully the FAQ gets released soon too.

I received my BGG Secret Santa games. They weren't on my wish list but my SS sent me Catan Junior and Splendor, to play with my family. I don't know how the junior version of Catan stacks up to the regular, but this will be my first Catan experience once we play it. I know Splendor is well-liked but I am a bit worried that if my wife thought Patchwork was boring, what will she think of Splendor? I have had Bora Bora and Castles of Burgandy for a while too and have meant to bring them to the table with my wife, but now I am not so sure about those either.

I have had Bora Bora and Castles of Burgandy for a while too and have meant to bring them to the table with my wife, but now I am not so sure about those either.

If Patchwork was boring for her due to the lack of options in gameplay, Splendor, Bora Bora, and CoB are quite the opposite of that. The last two especially (all three are good games)

Top Bottom