• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Phinor

Finally had my card charged for Twilight Struggle Deluxe reprint!

Still waiting for my Kickstarter copy to ship. Due in March 2015. I think they mishandled that Kickstarter. Lately they've been bumping shipping the KS copies in favour of shipping their regular orders and I wouldn't be surprised if your copy ships before KS copies. In fact, many stores got Twilight Struggle stock yesterday. Communication has been pretty lacking but few months later they always have some excuse which might be real, but come on, you have to update as things are happening, not weeks or months late.

Ah well, hopefully we get a competent Twilight Struggle digital out of that Kickstarter if nothing else. It was also supposed to release March 2015 but it won't release this year. Maybe Summer 2016 is realistic at this point.

My wife and I are addicted to Machi Koro, there's not a whole lot going on but it's satisfying adding cards to your town and getting bigger and more frequent payouts. We just got the expansions and played with the Harbor for the first time tonight, the randomization was great since the base game quickly devolves into the two of us fighting to get the cards we both know pay way more than the others. Some aspects of the expansion seem to add complexity for the sake of it. Neither of us ever used the Harbor's ability to add 2 to a die roll of 10 or over, and while you need the Harbor to use some cards it only costs 2 coins, so you may as well start with it activated.

Still, the added card variety was great, and the game was a lot more satisfying since it seemed less likely that either of us could stockpile a few high-payout cards and win the game with a couple lucky rolls. We're playing with a group for the first time tomorrow which should be fun, the green cards mostly feel like they're balanced around a group and activate way too often with only two people playing.

We also got both King of Tokyo expansions, which I can't wait to mess around with. I wish they came with more ability cards, but the evolutions and costumes look really fun.

We also got Takenoko (we really need to cool, we've bought like ten games in the last month) which is alright. I think it's more fun to look at then it is to play at times, but I could see it being fun in certain settings. You really don't need to pay a ton of attention to other player's turns, so it might be fun with a more casual group if you want to put on some music and chat while playing. The pieces are great though, and once you have a decent size garden seeing a bunch of different-sized bamboo shoots around the board is pretty cool.

The main game we'll be playing in our group tomorrow is Evolution, which I'm really excited about. I've only played it once before and it was great.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Still waiting for my Kickstarter copy to ship. Due in March 2015. I think they mishandled that Kickstarter. Lately they've been bumping shipping the KS copies in favour of shipping their regular orders and I wouldn't be surprised if your copy ships before KS copies. In fact, many stores got Twilight Struggle stock yesterday. Communication has been pretty lacking but few months later they always have some excuse which might be real, but come on, you have to update as things are happening, not weeks or months late.

Ah well, hopefully we get a competent Twilight Struggle digital out of that Kickstarter if nothing else. It was also supposed to release March 2015 but it won't release this year. Maybe Summer 2016 is realistic at this point.

Woah what? That's kinda fucked. I just jumped in on a reprint when I ordered Mr. President, figuring I'd get it eventually. The fact that I may get mine well before a KS campaign is a bummer (and continues to remind me why I don't do KS stuff ever).

fenners

GMT shouldn't have associated physical TS with the digital Kickstarter, and it's clear from reading their email newsletters that they regret it & wouldn't have done it again. You kickstarted a digital Twilight Struggle, with the 'deluxe edition' being a reward, not the other way around, and that's what's messed up the priorities & focus.

Phinor

Woah what? That's kinda fucked. I just jumped in on a reprint when I ordered Mr. President, figuring I'd get it eventually. The fact that I may get mine well before a KS campaign is a bummer (and continues to remind me why I don't do KS stuff ever).

I still think Kickstarter is amazing most of the time and sometimes the only good/cheap way to get your hands on certain games outside of North America/Europe (and sometimes I feel even Europe is missing half the good stuff). GMT games for example have terrible availability in Europe, although Twilight Struggle is one of the few exceptions.

GMT shouldn't have associated physical TS with the digital Kickstarter, and it's clear from reading their email newsletters that they regret it & wouldn't have done it again. You kickstarted a digital Twilight Struggle, with the 'deluxe edition' being a reward, not the other way around, and that's what's messed up the priorities & focus.

In hindsight, probably true. The Kickstarter wouldn't have done nearly as well without the physical goods though. Even with a quick cautious estimate, I'd say two thirds of the money came from physical rewards (and shipping, which doesn't benefit GMT at all). Obviously they don't have that much say with the digital game development, but it's not like that development is moving at a good pace either. I really hope the game turns out great and works on all the platforms (offering so many platforms during KS was definitely a mistake too).

In any case, I wish GMT moved on to this century and made their games properly available worldwide. There's a good dozen+ games I'm interested in but not interested enough to pay very high shipping fees and customs fee on top of that.

fenners

In hindsight, probably true. The Kickstarter wouldn't have done nearly as well without the physical goods though. Even with a quick cautious estimate, I'd say two thirds of the money came from physical rewards (and shipping, which doesn't benefit GMT at all). Obviously they don't have that much say with the digital game development, but it's not like that development is moving at a good pace either. I really hope the game turns out great and works on all the platforms (offering so many platforms during KS was definitely a mistake too).

I absolutely agree the physical rewards (i.e. the deluxe edition) drove the success of it. Playdek are a solid iOS developer, but Twilight Struggle's a step up from their normal games. I hope it's a success, I'd love a solid digital version of it with a good interface.

Blizzard

Banned
Of course it could end up being horrible...but Scythe is making me happy just looking at the backer update emails.

I guess I didn't realize it had a single-player mode. And there's also an achievement sheet, and you can download it later if you don't want to write on game components.

*snip*

Now whether I can convince anyone to PLAY it with me is another question, but at least it supports single-player.

Nezumi

Of course it could end up being horrible...but Scythe is making me happy just looking at the backer update emails.

I guess I didn't realize it had a single-player mode. And there's also an achievement sheet, and you can download it later if you don't want to write on game components.

Picture from email:

Now whether I can convince anyone to PLAY it with me is another question, but at least it supports single-player.

Damn, seeing that makes me regret not backing the thing...

Blizzard

Banned
I'm a little confused. The Kickstarter post asks not to post to BGG (which I didn't), but I don't know if the pictures are supposed to be limited or not. They're completely public on kickstarter so anyone who wants can look here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/scythe/posts/1439388

Here's one that IS on BGG, so it should be fine to post:

pic2789227_mdsysnr.jpg

Nudull

Banned
Found out one of my local game store's moved to a bigger place with more stuff on sale. Happy for them. :)

Meanwhile, life has been hitting me hard, and now I'm pretty much broke for the rest of the year. Hope things will get better in the next few months so I can try out more games.

The Keyflower Is Awesome Kickstarter is finally shipping copies of the game out! Only a month late, but Keyflower should be arriving at my door next week.

MM has Mistfall for $33. Damn. Probably would jump on it if it weren't for the impressions for Warhammer Quest. Mistfall does have more appealing character designs and art though. *conflicted*
Great artworks and one of the reason I backed it, but I am pretty sure you will not like it. The rules are terrible and full of errata and FAQ. The game has great potential but need a lot more balancing. Go read some of the posts on BGG and see if it something you might enjoy. Ricky of Box of Delight did a playthrough also on YouTube.

Game is pretty and I really want to love it as it was my first Kickstarter game.

You can see the cards are full of icons and steps, the game is a cross between MageKnight and LOTR LCG.

Great artworks and one of the reason I backed it, but I am pretty sure you will not like it. The rules are terrible and full of errata and FAQ. The game has great potential but need a lot more balancing. Go read some of the posts on BGG and see if it something you might enjoy. Ricky of Box of Delight did a playthrough also on YouTube.

Game is pretty and I really want to love it as it was my first Kickstarter game.

You can see the cards are full of icons and steps, the game is a cross between MageKnight and LOTR LCG.
Bloody hell, why would you use so many symbols on a card and not have color coding? But yeah, I've heard the game needed a bit more time in the oven. Maybe there will be a second edition down the road.

Ohnonono

Played more Warhammer Adventure Card Game last night. It is still amazing. Definitely the best game I have purchased in a long ass time.

Karkador

Banned
Played more Warhammer Adventure Card Game last night. It is still amazing. Definitely the best game I have purchased in a long ass time.

Have you ever played Space Hulk: Death Angel? I know they're not necessarily the same game just because they're under the Warhammer umbrella, but something about the hero chars fighting against a scenario card + monster deck + the whims of the dice reminded me of it. However, the rules explanation I saw was extremely clunky and convoluted.

Draxal

Have you ever played Space Hulk: Death Angel? I know they're not necessarily the same game just because they're under the Warhammer umbrella, but something about the hero chars fighting against a scenario card + monster deck + the whims of the dice reminded me of it. However, the rules explanation I saw was extremely clunky and convoluted.

I honestly had the same thought of it looking alot like death angel.

Ohnonono

I own Death Angel! It is a fun game but Warhammer is a much better experience and imo is a more improved version of that system. It is clear that LOTR:LCG and Death Angel were inspirations.

And yes it is the new Warhammer Quest: Adventure Card Game that unfortunately seems to be super sold out and the amazon price is going up. Apparently FFG did not anticipate quite so many people wanting it. I called around after realizing it was out and found one copy and drove to get it that day paying full retail. If you wait for CSI and those places to get it you will pay like 26$ for it before shipping. I feel totally find having dropped the 40$ on it, 26$ is crazy.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I own Death Angel! It is a fun game but Warhammer is a much better experience and imo is a more improved version of that system. It is clear that LOTR:LCG and Death Angel were inspirations.

And yes it is the new Warhammer Quest: Adventure Card Game that unfortunately seems to be super sold out and the amazon price is going up. Apparently FFG did not anticipate quite so many people wanting it. I called around after realizing it was out and found one copy and drove to get it that day paying full retail. If you wait for CSI and those places to get it you will pay like 26$ for it before shipping. I feel totally find having dropped the 40$ on it, 26$ is crazy.

I'm in no rush - I have piles of LOTR:LCG and SoB to play. I loved WHQ back in the day, but was CRAZY skeptical on this release. If it's good, I'll put a reminder on CSI for it and grab it when it comes back in stock.

Draxal

I was interested in that before Warhammer came along, but never pulled the trigger because I never read impressions that made it seem anything other than a fiddly mess.

Ayup, seems incredibly fiddly, the only other type of game I'm interested that's in this genre is warfighter atm.

Nudull

Banned

Well, that's unfortunate. I was interested in getting it, but I guess that'll take a bit. :/

Ohnonono

Well, that's unfortunate. I was interested in getting it, but I guess that'll take a bit. :/

It is a shame. It is getting a lot of heat now and I am sure people will be going out to find it. It is a FF game so there is a chance a copy would be sitting in a Barnes and Noble or something.

Dryk

Two more games of Pandemic Legacy last night. Won September, lost October. You can all probably figure out why.

Also taking Power Grid to a friend's house tonight because he's sick of waiting for it to table for a second when he's over at my house.

Nudull

Banned
I was looking up about Pandemic Legacy and it does sound pretty damn unique. Seems a bit pricey, though I'm sure I'd be able to shop around.

Dryk

I was looking up about Pandemic Legacy and it does sound pretty damn unique. Seems a bit pricey, though I'm sure I'd be able to shop around.
It is a bit pricey, but there are a lot of out-of-the ordinary components and since it's a thing that you want to sit down an experience with a set group you could always ask people to chip in some for it.

Played a warm up game of Pandemic Legacy. It was really easy, which I suppose is the point of a warm up game. Didn't have a single outbreak. Played as two characters, the medic and scientist. I think I got all the rules correct. The rules are simple but some of the wording in the book is a little clumsy.

Karkador

Banned
Played a warm up game of Pandemic Legacy. It was really easy, which I suppose is the point of a warm up game. Didn't have a single outbreak. Played as two characters, the medic and scientist. I think I got all the rules correct. The rules are simple but some of the wording in the book is a little clumsy.

Yeah the base rules are pretty easy to follow. Anything you're unsure about?

We found the first few games of Legacy to be easy. .. like suspiciously "wtf we never win this often" easy. It picked up.

It is a shame. It is getting a lot of heat now and I am sure people will be going out to find it. It is a FF game so there is a chance a copy would be sitting in a Barnes and Noble or something.
Have you try the Delving Quest? I read that it's a little too easy due to lack of a timer.

Ohnonono

Have you try the Delving Quest? I read that it's a little too easy due to lack of a timer.

I haven't yet but I hear people say that and I hear people say crazy stuff about "hanging around and just killing the nemesis monsters as they spawn. That leads me to thing they are playing some kind of rule wrong. If you don't progress and get some upgrades there is no way you can take out some of the later nemesis guys and when you roll a nemesis symbol you have to activate EVERY nemesis symbol in play. I can totally see it being easier than the campaign which is super hard, but crazy stuff like "Oh we got through it and had full health! Seems like people are playing some rule wrong. That said if people figure out how to cheese it by sitting at a location and resting for multiple turns hopefully they can update it or release another with an expansion that has a bit more urgency to it.

Most of the opinions I have seen are that it is a bit easier than the campaign but it is still challenging. I will see at some point but I am liking the campaign play and will go through that with the character combinations before I likely do the delve thing.

Hey all, finally got my posting privileges the other day. My wife and I are big board gamers, so I expect to be hanging out in this thread a good bit.

I picked up Ghost Stories from the Amazon sale last week, so that's been on the dining room table since it arrived. We've won a couple, and gotten our butts kicked several times. We're enjoying it so far.

I also got a copy of Munchkin from my Reddit secret santa. That was a nice surprise, since I've been wanting to pick it up, but the price has always been a little more than I wanted to spend. Should be good for playing with my less-serious gaming friends, and as a long-time D&D player, I definitely enjoy the humor.

joelseph

This game is silly fun

018320861196.jpg

A nice gateway into hidden role and deception games.

Probably going to pick up the Japanese version? Anyone have any info? It was originally from Japan yes?

fenners

This game is silly fun

A nice gateway into hidden role and deception games.

Probably going to pick up the Japanese version? Anyone have any info? It was originally from Japan yes?

Japanese? Nahhh - it's a Belgian designer, and it's a ten year old game that's been in & out of print, hidden roles/co-op, long before it got popular. It's amusing how it's actually becoming trendy after the likes of ONW & Coup & resistance etc.

ultron87

Lol, I have 31 out of Shut Up and Sit Down's Top 50 games. I think I had at least half of them independent of their recommendations. So I suppose there's a reason they're my favorite reviewers.

Ohnonono

After ordering it in March CSI just shipped the Solo Expansion for Conflict of Heroes:Awakening the Bear.

Watch out for flying pigs.

joelseph

Lol, I have 31 out of Shut Up and Sit Down's Top 50 games. I think I had at least half of them independent of their recommendations. So I suppose there's a reason they're my favorite reviewers.

That is crazy impressive considering how varied that genres are on the list!

Top Bottom