• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Blizzard

Banned
This game is silly fun

018320861196.jpg

A nice gateway into hidden role and deception games.

Probably going to pick up the Japanese version? Anyone have any info? It was originally from Japan yes?
I seem to remember playing that in English a few years ago. It felt like the ultimate troll game, where you would get this huge grinch smile on your face and completely screw everyone over with a tile or two.

Blizzard

Banned
You all win -- I ordered the Warhammer Quest Adventure game from Miniature Market because of good opinions. ;_; I'm not a hardcore Warhammer fan so hopefully this wasn't a silly move.

The discount isn't that amazing since it's back up near $36 after shipping.

Experien

any thoughts on Dungeon Saga? Is it like HeroQuest with minis and furniture for decor?

Looks interesting but wondering if it is more than just another dungeon crawl with a cool box.

Ohnonono

New Elder Sign expansion coming. Looks similar to Gates of Arkham in that you replace the encounter deck with a new one. Kind of like a new setting. I can dig it. SNOW LEVEL.

New Elder Sign expansion coming. Looks similar to Gates of Arkham in that you replace the encounter deck with a new one. Kind of like a new setting. I can dig it. SNOW LEVEL.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/11/omens-of-ice/

Whoa, wasn't expecting another expansion or so soon. Sounds really interesting. Good thing I hadn't already made my insert for Elder Sign, though I'm going to need an even bigger big box. :| I see a reprint of Unseen Forces is finally on the boat. Good for those just getting into Elder Sign.

Dryk

Lol, I have 31 out of Shut Up and Sit Down's Top 50 games. I think I had at least half of them independent of their recommendations. So I suppose there's a reason they're my favorite reviewers.
<looks through the list>

One of the members of my game group just showed us her brand-new copies of Consulting Detective and Fury of Dracula a few days ago. Woo.

The love affair with Machi Koro didn't survive a group session. When you have to wait so long between turns to buy new cards and green cards are way less likely to activate the game just drags. It was like twenty minutes of just rolling the die and nothing happening, and then there's a tipping point where you're finally getting paid out with every roll and ten minutes after that the game is over. Still really fun to play with smaller group even if it is sort of mindless, it's fun to build up a coin engine real quick.

Unfortunately I think I've also fallen out of love with Evolution. Absolutely loved it the first time I played it, pulled off some really fun combos the second time, but by the third you've already seen and used every card. You can try for different combos and strategies, but once you've seen how all of the cards work with each other it's unlikely anything surprising is going to happen. It's a shame because those initial games are maybe the most fun I've had playing board games so far. They need to make another expansion with new trait cards, no new mechanics but just a bigger variety of abilities to make each game feel more unique.

Also tried Coup, which is the first bluffing game I've ever played. It was great, we ended up playing a few rounds. Having someone accuse you of lying and then revealing that you did have the card and costing the accuser their last life is an amazing feeling.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Good lord I had forgotten just how utterly boring and dumb vanilla Catan was, but I accidentally let my roommate and our friends play it and now its the only thing they want to play. Its like playing Candyland, except it takes 10 times longer, and everyone thinks that they're making important strategic decicions

Karkador

Banned
Good lord I had forgotten just how utterly boring and dumb vanilla Catan was, but I accidentally let my roommate and our friends play it and now its the only thing they want to play. Its like playing Candyland, except it takes 10 times longer, and everyone thinks that they're making important strategic decicions

I still like base Catan. It's a solid game, especially for people whow have never played these newfangled boardgames. Just house rule that everyone gets to build after every turn, not just on theirs.

Nudull

Banned
I still like base Catan. It's a solid game, especially for people whow have never played these newfangled boardgames. Just house rule that everyone gets to build after every turn, not just on theirs.

Is vanilla still good as a jump-on for newbies?

Haven't played Catan in years. Don't remember it being that bad.

Blizzard

Banned
It may be because I'm not smart enough to realize the lack of strategic death, but Catan wasn't THAT bad. The main thing that annoyed me was my family taking ages because of the trading shenanigans.

Every turn "does anyone want some sheep" "no" "okay, but how about TWO sheep" "no" "THREE sheep" "still no" "ok I pass".

Lyng

Comparing it to candyland is quiet the hyberbole.
Its a old game and is too long but if you dont think strategic about placement etc your gonna loose to a better player.
Dismissing Catan as a pure rng game is just plain wrong.

Mr E.

I own Death Angel! It is a fun game but Warhammer is a much better experience and imo is a more improved version of that system.
Hmm. I'm more sceptical and probably cult of the old.

Death Angel is a proven winner. Success rate around 33% with base card set ups. Scaling harder if expansions added.

Warhammer quest is as yet unproven to me. BGG has some comments on Delve quest being too easy or maybe broken. I'm not saying it is, just that as yet it's a fledgling game.

Death Angel is however superb.

Lyng

Hmm. I'm more sceptical and probably cult of the old.

Death Angel is a proven winner. Success rate around 33% with base card set ups. Scaling harder if expansions added.

Warhammer quest is as yet unproven to me. BGG has some comments on Delve quest being too easy or maybe broken. I'm not saying it is, just that as yet it's a fledgling game.

Death Angel is however superb.

Isnt Death Angel just a rng fest?

daevv

I just recently played a 4 player vanilla Catan game with all 4 of us being very experienced Catan players. The game was very cutthroat, tense, close, and fun. The final scores were 10, 9, 9, and 8. I have Star Trek Catan which we never played lined up for a future night when it's only four of us.

Mr E.

Isnt Death Angel just a rng fest?
Yep. Although facing and appropriate choosing of actions because you can't immediately choose the same action twice adds a bit of strategy. As with all things dice you can suffer from bad rolls.

To be fair I only play this solitaire mostly. Sometimes with my son too though.

I just need to say that Pandemic Legacy is one of the best games I have played in a long ass time.

Me and my friends already love (and own) all the Pandemic games, but this one is like playing a big ass coop video game that we all just want to beat. We have sat down to play it, and then just played multiple games in a row, because we are all just on the edge of our seat to find out what happens next.

Love it.

I'm even going to buy Risk Legacy now, which Ive been on the fence for a long time. I dont even like Risk!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I just need to say that Pandemic Legacy is one of the best games I have played in a long ass time.

Me and my friends already love (and own) all the Pandemic games, but this one is like playing a big ass coop video game that we all just want to beat. We have sat down to play it, and then just played multiple games in a row, because we are all just on the edge of our seat to find out what happens next.

Love it.

I'm even going to buy Risk Legacy now, which Ive been on the fence for a long time. I dont even like Risk!
Yep, it's really promising. For grown-ups for whom time is really scarce, and we don't really have time to play dozens of games a month, it's an incredibly rich experience. I'm absolutely looking forward to Season 2 now that they have this experience under their belt because as awesome as it is -- GOTY contender -- it does have some things that could be smoothed out like the difficulty especially early on but overall it's just brilliant.

Bigfoot

Had some friends over last night and the topic of Codenames came up. No one has bought it yet so we decided to rig up a bootleg version using Cards Against Humanity white cards, poker chips to cover them, and a Codenames grid generator app.

Anyways it was surprisingly fun. So much so that now most of us are reconsidering if it is even worth buying the real game.

If you own Codenames, can you think of anything the real game has to offer over our bootleg version? The only thing I can think of is a smaller set of single words designed to possibly make the game a bit harder.

XShagrath

If you own Codenames, can you think of anything the real game has to offer over our bootleg version? The only thing I can think of is a smaller set of single words designed to possibly make the game a bit harder.
Also, the set of words picked for the game were specifically picked to work well together. Most of the words have multiple different meanings and therefore it can be tricky to come up with the clue because some of them will belong to the other team.

Had some friends over last night and the topic of Codenames came up. No one has bought it yet so we decided to rig up a bootleg version using Cards Against Humanity white cards, poker chips to cover them, and a Codenames grid generator app.

Anyways it was surprisingly fun. So much so that now most of us are reconsidering if it is even worth buying the real game.

The words included in the actual game seem well chosen. A lot of them have multiple meanings which lead to potentially cool clues. I've never tried using outside cards, so they may work just as well.

There's no reason you couldn't play the game with index cards instead, but it's less than $15 online. I think it's worth it just for the convenience.

Yep, it's really promising. For grown-ups for whom time is really scarce, and we don't really have time to play dozens of games a month, it's an incredibly rich experience. I'm absolutely looking forward to Season 2 now that they have this experience under their belt because as awesome as it is -- GOTY contender -- it does have some things that could be smoothed out like the difficulty especially early on but overall it's just brilliant.

Yeah, its been quite easy up through May I think we are at now. We lost our second game I think, I dont remember why, but we've barely even come close to losing since then.

So god damn good though. I think GOTY contender is right, and I mean GAME of the year, Video or Board, period. I fucking love it. I cant wait until we beat it, and even just saying 'beat' a board game is fucking crazy, haha.

Then we will play more of the dice one, Pandemic The Cure. Which is just amazingly stupid fun.

Dryk

I just recently played a 4 player vanilla Catan game with all 4 of us being very experienced Catan players. The game was very cutthroat, tense, close, and fun. The final scores were 10, 9, 9, and 8. I have Star Trek Catan which we never played lined up for a future night when it's only four of us.
Apparently comp. Catan shakes out as 9, 9, 9, 10 with the roll of the dice deciding who wins. So there's definitely room for good play in there but once people start hitting the ceiling it's not great.

Also tried Coup, which is the first bluffing game I've ever played. It was great, we ended up playing a few rounds. Having someone accuse you of lying and then revealing that you did have the card and costing the accuser their last life is an amazing feeling.
Coup is one of the few games where going through the last few turns of a game where someone is completely backed into a corner is really interesting to me. Just sitting there knowing that there's nothing they can do to escape your incoming attack instead of a hail mary bluff that is guaranteed to fail is great.

My Pandemic Legacy group and I have had a discussion comparing the two and it's interesting how different they are. Pandemic is a lot more cinematic and linear as a result, being co-op means that it mitigates the hard feelings when things get set up horribly and the feedback loops start kicking in. Risk can have problems with permanently entrenching runaway leaders a little bit.

Something they thought that Risk had over Pandemic is that there are a lot more (mild structural spoilers)
mid-game events. Which are used sparingly in Pandemic (though as we found out last session is for good reason because a game as tightly constructed as Pandemic taking a swerve mid-game can fuck you over super hard).

Yeah, Risk Legacy has been bought. I dont expect to like it anywhere near as much as Pandemic, but Im just far too curious to not play it now, haha.

Seriously though, fuck Risk, it's a dumb game. Why did I buy this? haha.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/12/11/omens-of-ice/

Whoa, wasn't expecting another expansion or so soon. Sounds really interesting. Good thing I hadn't already made my insert for Elder Sign, though I'm going to need an even bigger big box. :| I see a reprint of Unseen Forces is finally on the boat. Good for those just getting into Elder Sign.

Are you still want to get everything in one box? FFG will just keep releasing expansions so might as well embrace the multi-box storage. : P

I finally pick up app version of this game since it was on sale and the app is harder (they changes some of the rule, and I am sure those "random" roll are not very random. It feel a bit confine compare to board game (naturally) but play well. I also like scoring thing at the end, they should implement that for the board game.

Nuke Soda

Been slowly getting into board games over the past couple of years.Got games like Munchkin, Dead of Winter, Legendary Encounters, and Zombie and Cthulu Fluxx. Been having a blast with Legendary Encounters (huge Alien fan, so big surprise) and Dead of Winter (Talk about bleak).

Oh yeah, I have a question about Pandemic Legacy. Does drawing cards from the bottom of the infection deck really matter? Could I draw from the top and just put the shuffled cards during an epidemic at the bottom?

mercviper

Oh yeah, I have a question about Pandemic Legacy. Does drawing cards from the bottom of the infection deck really matter? Could I draw from the top and just put the shuffled cards during an epidemic at the bottom?

That would make the game entirely too easy imo. Epidemics shuffle the cards and place on top so that previously infected cities have a higher chance to be infected again. This is kind of key to have outbreaks occur in the first place since there are 44?48? total cities. You would only get 1-2 repeats after a very long time otherwise. You draw from the bottom during the epidemic to guarantee that a new city gets 3 cubes that you couldn't prepare for.

That would make the game entirely too easy imo. Epidemics shuffle the cards and place on top so that previously infected cities have a higher chance to be infected again. This is kind of key to have outbreaks occur in the first place since there are 44?48? total cities. You would only get 1-2 repeats after a very long time otherwise. You draw from the bottom during the epidemic to guarantee that a new city gets 3 cubes that you couldn't prepare for.
Oh. I thought you drew from the bottom during the infection phase as well. Well, that explains why my warm up game was super easy.

Dryk

Oh. I thought you drew from the bottom during the infection phase as well. Well, that explains why my warm up game was super easy.
Nah all cards come from the top of the deck except the one that gets 3 in an epidemic. It ensures that the same hot-spots get hit over and over and occasionally a new one enters the mix. The worst feeling in the world is something that already had a cube spill over into it coming off of the bottom... and then drawing it again at the end of the turn...

I've got two orders on CSI gated by the Blood Rage expansions that were supposed to drop yesterday. Waiting for preorders to ship in this industry is a real bummer when the release windows are all so inconsistent. I'm thinking about giving them a call to see if they can make an adjustment for me. Shipping tomorrow will get them here the day that winter break begins, which would be a dream come true. I'm frothing over here.

In the meantime, my first try with Terra Mystica yesterday was fun. It was just a learning game with two people and you get the feeling that our power didn't cycle like it should have due to little forced interaction. I got myself into a lot of trouble by upgrading trading posts into a stronghold and temple respectively, neglecting to realize I'd have no gold incoming. Lots of variables in that game and I'm stoked to try again with more people. Is Fire and Ice well received?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've got two orders on CSI gated by the Blood Rage expansions that were supposed to drop yesterday. Waiting for preorders to ship in this industry is a real bummer when the release windows are all so inconsistent. I'm thinking about giving them a call to see if they can make an adjustment for me. Shipping tomorrow will get them here the day that winter break begins, which would be a dream come true. I'm frothing over here.

In the meantime, my first try with Terra Mystica yesterday was fun. It was just a learning game with two people and you get the feeling that our power didn't cycle like it should have due to little forced interaction. I got myself into a lot of trouble by upgrading trading posts into a stronghold and temple respectively, neglecting to realize I'd have no gold incoming. Lots of variables in that game and I'm stoked to try again with more people. Is Fire and Ice well received?

You can just email them. I have then change stuff for me on the fly all the time.

sasimirobot

Got a lot of things coming in the mail. This will be a big month for gaming purchases for me:

-3 Small World expansions (Cursed!, Grand Dames, Royal Bonus)

-Cheaty Mages

-Lost Legacy

-Chronicle (on a Seiji Kanai kick I guess...)

-Camel Up Super Cup

-2 Expansions for 7 Wonders (Wonder Pack, Leaders)

-A replacement copy of Skull

Got a lot of things coming in the mail. This will be a big month for gaming purchases for me:

How do you guys usually buy expansions? We just got both expansions for Machi Koro and both for King of Tokyo since we've been playing both a lot and I wish we would have got one each and spent the rest on another game. We've played each game twice since getting the expansions and haven't seen all the content for any one add-on.

They're all pretty simple so it's not it was too hard to keep up with or anything, but it sort of feels like a waste when it'll take multiple plays to see everything.

Played another warm up game of Pandemic Legacy, this time with the SO. Turns out the game is a lot more difficult when following the rules correctly. >_> We lost with three diseases cured, so not too bad.

Nuke Soda

Just played a solo variant of Dead of Winter and first move had a character die on me, hardcore lol. I was playing the Winter is here goal and got 4 rounds in when I couldn't supply gasoline which is an instant game over. Fun times. One of those games where a crazy and awesome story happens before your eyes and you think I should write this down, but you never do.

Link to the solo variant rule set: Here.

Dryk

Do you already have Be Not Afraid!? That's a really good one too. I'm kind of meh on Spider's Web though, the powers are pretty cool but the races are kind of lame. Royal Bonus and Grand Dames are sort of let down by a few duds each but they're still good.

IMO:
- Be Not Afraid
- Cursed
- Grand Dames/Royal Bonus
- Spider's Web

How do you guys usually buy expansions? We just got both expansions for Machi Koro and both for King of Tokyo since we've been playing both a lot and I wish we would have got one each and spent the rest on another game. We've played each game twice since getting the expansions and haven't seen all the content for any one add-on.

They're all pretty simple so it's not it was too hard to keep up with or anything, but it sort of feels like a waste when it'll take multiple plays to see everything.
Depends on the game. I bought all the content expansions for King of Tokyo and Small World so I would have all the options. I'm probably going to slowly accrue Power Grid and Flash Point maps as I feel I need them because they're much more stand-alone. I think a lot of the shift though is realising that I much prefer giving my friends options rather than expanding games they might only get to play a few times. I got expansions for Small World and King of Tokyo because 1) I was still new at this and 2) the games play better out of the gate when you have them (though I still don't teach Small World with expansions).

sasimirobot

Do you already have Be Not Afraid!? That's a really good one too. I'm kind of meh on Spider's Web though, the powers are pretty cool but the races are kind of lame. Royal Bonus and Grand Dames are sort of let down by a few duds each but they're still good.

IMO:
- Be Not Afraid
- Cursed
- Grand Dames/Royal Bonus
- Spider's Web

Those are the only ones available in English on taobao.com, the Chinese version of Amazon. I want "Be Not Afraid" but I would have to wait a few weeks for it to be shipped from the US.

So what is Pandemic Legacy exactly, I thought it was an expansion but see everyone raving about it. Already got Pandemic and the Cure, why is there two versions of Legacy?

So what is Pandemic Legacy exactly, I thought it was an expansion but see everyone raving about it. Already got Pandemic and the Cure, why is there two versions of Legacy?

"Legacy" is a game format where you take a base game and play it over a campaign that permanently modify your copy. These changes usually include drawing on the board, putting stickers, adding new rules, destroying cards, modifying characters, etc.

So far two "Legacy" games have been releases, Pandemic Legacy and Risk Legacy, but there are others out there not under the legacy moniker.

Palmer_v1

The versions are in case you want to play two campaigns, but they're identical.

It's basically the base game of Pandemic, but you're playing a series of connected games that slowly morph over time as the diseases change, your characters change, and the board changes. Your success in one month will affect your game in the next month.

It's kind of hard to explain exactly why it's so good without spoiling it.

joelseph

subterfuge.0.jpg

Holy crap this game is taking over my life. Real time war diplomacy game play on iOS and Android. Free to play (public only). 9.99$ to be able to create private games and play ranked.

Only one person in the game needs to have a payed version to start a private game, everyone else can join with free copies.

A single game plays out over a few weeks. Object is to create mines and mine 200 material before everyone else. It's a RTS. You have lands that create victory points, lands that create attack vessels and lands that create resources to build more vessels.

To mitigate the need to be at your phone all day you can fast forward up to 48 hours in advance and set future plans.

Moving, attacking, mining, everything takes hours to complete.

To really succeed in the game you need to play diplomacy between the other players. There are public chat channels, private chat and group chat. This is the meat and potatoes of the game. I have spent the entire weekend on my phone planning attacks and counter attacks.

Game supports up to 10 players.

I learned about this from Drive Through Joel's reviews.

If enough interest starts here we should play a private Gaf game. =)

mercviper

subterfuge.0.jpg

Holy crap this game is taking over my life. Real time war diplomacy game play on iOS and Android. Free to play (public only). 9.99$ to be able to create private games and play ranked.

Only one person in the game needs to have a payed version to start a private game, everyone else can join with free copies.

A single game plays out over a few weeks. Object is to create mines and mine 200 material before everyone else. It's a RTS. You have lands that create victory points, lands that create attack vessels and lands that create resources to build more vessels.

To mitigate the need to be at your phone all day you can fast forward up to 48 hours in advance and set future plans.

Moving, attacking, mining, everything takes hours to complete.

To really succeed in the game you need to play diplomacy between the other players. There are public chat channels, private chat and group chat. This is the meat and potatoes of the game. I have spent the entire weekend on my phone planning attacks and counter attacks.

Game supports up to 10 players.

I learned about this from Drive Through Joel's reviews.

If enough interest starts here we should play a private Gaf game. =)

So I downloaded this a couple months back when it was mentioned then but I never really had the want to play with complete strangers in a public game. I would play one with GAF though.

joelseph

To play online you have to complete the first 10 tutorial puzzles. From there there are more puzzles that explain more complex interactions.

There are also 3 learn to play videos and a full text manual.

It took me about 30 minutes total to get up to speed.

Beyond that, the game plays in real time so you have plenty of time to figure situations out. It's a great puzzle!

Top Bottom