• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Karkador

Banned
Replace Hasbro, they sell a shit ton of an inferior product. They need to make the rest of publishers stop fighting for scraps and devaluating their products.

It'd be nice if they just bought some of those Avalon Hill / 3M rights off Hasbro instead. Acquire deserves so much more.

Palmer_v1

I don't pay attention to the game publishers enough to understand the ramifications of this stuff.

Is this like video games when EA buys something and you know it's just a matter of time until they're pumping out shitty sequels before being killed off completely?

joelseph

Replace Hasbro, they sell a shit ton of an inferior product. They need to make the rest of publishers stop fighting for scraps and devaluating their products.

Their shitty line is straight to big box stores though, how are other publishers fighting for those scraps when they aren't even let in? You are starting to see more popular mainstream stuff like Ticket to Ride and most recently Machi Koro break into that market sure but the majority of modern gaming is in a completely different market than the majority of Hasbro's lines.

joelseph

gYMi76w.jpg

Their shitty line is straight to big box stores though, how are other publishers fighting for those scraps when they aren't even let in? You are starting to see more popular mainstream stuff like Ticket to Ride and most recently Machi Koro break into that market sure but the majority of modern gaming is in a completely different market than the majority of Hasbro's lines.

Pricing is also going to keep the more designer lines of games from getting too far. If they can't sell a board game for 20 or less, it's not going to get much traction at big box retailers beyond little specialty games sections we have now.

Karkador

Banned
I don't pay attention to the game publishers enough to understand the ramifications of this stuff.

Is this like video games when EA buys something and you know it's just a matter of time until they're pumping out shitty sequels before being killed off completely?

We dont really know yet, I guess? But if Hasbro has been the EA in this situation, they did buy up a ton of quality IP that they're not doing much with.

joelseph

Pricing is also going to keep the more designer lines of games from getting too far. If they can't sell a board game for 20 or less, it's not going to get much traction at big box retailers beyond little specialty games sections we have now.

Good point, I wasn't thinking about price. Is Asmodee giving the industry what they need then by bringing printing in house thus lowering msrps?

Neverfade

CSI has ruined me. I ordered from MM for the first time since July 2014 (stock reasons) and now I remember why. The order I placed at the beginning of the week just now shipped. If it were a CSI order FedEx would be rolling into my work with the package in about 30 minutes.

Karkador

Banned
Good point, I wasn't thinking about price. Is Asmodee giving the industry what they need then by bringing printing in house thus lowering msrps?

I think it's more of a matter of scale. Maybe if they all work together under one company, they can cut down a lot of overhead and manufacturing costs - but they probably don't really have a reason to drop the MSRP this in the current market.

joelseph

Anyone here want an avatar on BGG? Respond with your username and I will gift you 30 Geek Gold. I'm giving away 90gg total so don't be afraid to speak up.

CSI has ruined me. I ordered from MM for the first time since July 2014 (stock reasons) and now I remember why. The order I placed at the beginning of the week just now shipped. If it were a CSI order FedEx would be rolling into my work with the package in about 30 minutes.

I often prefer MM for some prices and because of no tax (CSI charges tax for us in FL), but I go with CSI usually cause its typically next day delivery for us here in FL too.

I think it's more of a matter of scale. Maybe if they all work together under one company, they can cut down a lot of overhead and manufacturing costs - but they probably don't really have a reason to drop the MSRP this in the current market.

It will also only work for select games, since to bring in the price points of typical hasbro and other board games found in big box stores is going to need a huge print run, while typical designer board game is going to be far smaller print run.

Because of this outside of a few popular games like Catan maybe, the hardcore game industry is not going to be affected.

Iced

This looks amazing. My girlfriend is a huge Jurassic Park fan, and I think this would be right up her alley!

Anyone know where I can find this in Toronto? 401 Games has it for preorder on their website, but when I try to do so it just says it's sold out.

joelseph

Also, what's up with this dinosaur game? Why is it so good?

From 2 of the best designers currently, who have worked together to great success in the past.

Quick 2 player asymmetrical play with a total deck size of 9 cards each.

AWESOME THEME. (I read somewhere that the game was struggling to find a publisher until they changed the theme to Dinosaurs!)

Nice art and decent minis.

20 minute game where your raptor mini gets to eat your buddies little scientist minis.

Review by Game Boy Geek - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVUpF0oN0SA

Neverfade

I often prefer MM for some prices and because of no tax (CSI charges tax for us in FL), but I go with CSI usually cause its typically next day delivery for us here in FL too.

I'd do murder for a OLGS giant here in VA. I'd pay a decent markup if I had access to next day delivery.

Lupercal

Banned
I think I have the “party” genre taken care of - there are several I’ve researched and intend to buy at some point - but I’m certainly up for recommendations. Not looking for anything extremely heavy, but I’m definitely open - just let me know if a suggestion you provide is a little more advanced.

Thanks in advance everyone!

I would look into Game of Thrones Second Edition, Eldritch Horror and Zombicide for the bigger games and Machi Koro, Star Realms and Love Letter for lighter games.

Sheriff of Nottingham is also one you just can't go wrong with, especially in a group.

Iced

I would look into Game of Thrones Second Edition, Eldritch Horror and Zombicide for the bigger games and Machi Koro, Star Realms and Love Letter for lighter games.

Sheriff of Nottingham is also one you just can't go wrong with, especially in a group.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I have a friend who owns Game of Thrones and Zombicide, so I'll be playing those soon. I've seen Eldritch Horror mentioned many times while researching games but haven't looked too much into it yet. Love Letter is definitely on my list of games to buy, although I'm not sure which version to get. I'd like to get the Batman one, but does it play differently?

I missed out on a sale for Sheriff of Nottingham recently. I've read it's a game that can easily fall flat with certain people, but I don't think that would be a problem with the folks I play with. I'll keep an eye out for it!

And we also picked up Castles of Burgundy which we haven't played yet. It's really highly rated on Board Game Geek, which is why we bought it (also it was pretty cheap at the store, about $10 less than the price on Amazon) but it looks pretty boring honestly, looks like you role dice and use resources to do stuff sort of like Catan without the trading. Looking forward to try it out though.

It's pretty sweet. There's a lot of tough decisions to be made after rolling those dice, since you can use the result in a bunch of different ways

Thanks for the recommendations!

I have a friend who owns Game of Thrones and Zombicide, so I'll be playing those soon. I've seen Eldritch Horror mentioned many times while researching games but haven't looked too much into it yet. Love Letter is definitely on my list of games to buy, although I'm not sure which version to get. I'd like to get the Batman one, but does it play differently?

I missed out on a sale for Sheriff of Nottingham recently. I've read it's a game that can easily fall flat with certain people, but I don't think that would be a problem with the folks I play with. I'll keep an eye out for it!

Yes, Batman Love Letter does play slightly differently to the original game and is the best variant to the main game that I have tried. Also, the original game comes in two flavours: the Westernised and thus blandified version, to my tastes, and the original, Japanese artwork in the Kanai Factory Limited Edition, which is much more up my street. Any of these can be had cheaply if you shop around.

Experien

It depends on the time of the year. MM gives warnings about delays (like holidays having possible 1-2 day delays) and the current one is about flooding in that area which was clearly displayed at checkout.

CSI uses too much packing peanuts and tended to be more expensive to me.

mercviper

Any recommendations on a score/game tracking app? Score Pal? Board Game Stats? The BGG app?

I use ScoreKeeper XL for iOS. really simple interface for easy point tracking.

Re: Legacy as a cash grab

I've gotten 14 plays out of it, which is like 400% more plays than the majority of my collection for roughly 50% more cost. If anything, it makes half my collection look like cash grabs in comparison. :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone here want an avatar on BGG? Respond with your username and I will gift you 30 Geek Gold. I'm giving away 90gg total so don't be afraid to speak up.

If you've got any left, my name is nicoga3000 over there.

Also, on the CSI vs MM debate...MM is where I buy my paint. That's all. CSI is better in every other way for me since they DO pack and ship SO quick. Just got a big box today even!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Both take a while to get to me (MM is slower to pack though, CSI usually takes a day at most) but I really like CSI's customer service. I just reply to preorder threads and add and remove stuff all the time. Good to have multiple good stores though as I think it keeps them on their toes customer-service wise.

joelseph

I have found that MM is quicker to respond to twitter customer support than they are through their website ticket system.

I use MM for niche preorders because they are geographical close to Chicago.

Enjoy!

Another avatar donation is available. If anyone wants an avatar on BGG reply to the post with your BGG username.

I just made an account a couple weeks ago and am new to board games. If someone with more of a history in the thread or at BGG wants it I'd rather them have it, but if no one else wants it my username there is the same as here.

Neverfade

It depends on the time of the year. MM gives warnings about delays (like holidays having possible 1-2 day delays) and the current one is about flooding in that area which was clearly displayed at checkout.

CSI uses too much packing peanuts and tended to be more expensive to me.

That's all well and good, but I've been at 9th(?) level rewards at CSI for a while now (aka I've spent an endless amount of money there) and not once in the 6 years I've been ordering there has an order I placed not gone out the next day. At MM, the "contents verified" step didn't even happen until a couple days after I placed it. Speed > Price. I find the difference negligible. MM has some games cheaper, CSI has some cheaper, so its a wash. Service breaks the tie.

The amount of peanuts from CSI is a non-issue to me. I reuse them regardless, so its kind of a positive actually.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's all well and good, but I've been at 5th level rewards at CSI for a while now (aka I've spent an endless amount of money there) and not once in the 6 years I've been ordering there has an order I placed not gone out the next day. At MM, the "contents verified" step didn't even happen until a couple days after I placed it. Speed > Price. I find the difference negligible. MM has some games cheaper, CSI has some cheaper, so its a wash. Service breaks the tie.

The amount of peanuts from CSI is a non-issue to me. I reuse them regardless, so its kind of a positive actually.

Oh god...I'm level 7 at CSI. D:

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh 5 isn't the highest? I'm whatever the highest is. I guess I save 5% so I was thinking of that number. Its been so long and the tiers go away once you've achieved it.

Level 9 - which is a lot more than I've spent, so I feel better haha.

Also, thanks joelseph for the gold! I got me an avatar!

Dryk

I use ScoreKeeper XL for iOS. really simple interface for easy point tracking.
I use Games Keeper for iOS but it's all I've really tried. I looked up ScoreKeeper's interface and it is simpler. Games Keeper restricts each person to a seperate page so it's more fiddly, but it gives you +/- 1, 5 and 10 buttons so it's easy to input large scores. Also you get a graph.

Games Keeper

ScoreKeeper XL

mercviper

I use Games Keeper for iOS but it's all I've really tried. I looked up ScoreKeeper's interface and it is simpler. Games Keeper restricts each person to a seperate page so it's more fiddly, but it gives you +/- 1, 5 and 10 buttons so it's easy to input large scores. Also you get a graph.

Games Keeper

ScoreKeeper XL

Oooh games keeper has shiny datapoints. Yeah scorekeeper doesn't have +10 but the longer you hold down the + the faster it adds

Blizzard

Banned
We finally played the first real quest in the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game. I think we are learning the mechanics, though it is a huge pain that the information is so scattered between the two manuals.

We got crushed on the first quest using dwarf + archer, unfortunately. We made it to the last location but even my 26 HP dwarf with +2 HP from armor died before the archer, and that was before the last peril stage. We only had 2/10 exploration, and we were pretty sure a nearly-dead archer could not solo 4+ enemies for 8 exploration so we just immediately accepted defeat. I have some questions to make sure I am playing correctly:

1. Even if the whole party is defeated (I guess you don't really "die"), everyone keeps their equipped (e.g. armor) and depleted (e.g. holy symbol accessory) gear, correct? So the depleted item comes back, and you can keep your armor into the next quest after failing the first?
  2. Nemesis effects activate even when the nemesis is in their layer (unspawned), correct?
  3. I kept scouring the rules but could not find this anywhere. Is there any special rule for nemesis spawning? In particular, when the nemesis spawns from the lair, do they instantly engage the party leader (in the peril phase, before the leader token switches)? This seems kind of excessive because, say you already have 3 enemies engaged and are the leader. You take 2 (unblockable) wounds for the attempted engage when he spawns, then 2 (unblockable) wounds from him activating his inflict, then 2 (unblockable) wounds from his failed Prey ability that tries to engage you again, correct? So 6 damage from a single spawn.
  4. The nemesis does not activate until they leave their lair (spawn), correct?
  5. ALL enemies outside the nemesis lair are supposed to activate every round (after both players activate twice in 2-player mode), correct? Even if they are facedown in the shadows, they still have to activate?
  6. Is there any limit to simultaneous shadow enemies? This was incredibly rough in our game because we had 5+ enemies in the shadows, and 1-3 engaged on each of us, and things that would hinder ditching enemies when changing locations (one location made us take enemies with us, some enemies followed us, and one location kept reducing progress which made it slower).
Lastly, with 2 players, is it even worth trying the second quest if we failed the first? I'm assuming it will be even harder since we didn't get the legendary gear and bad effects will probably happen.

Top Bottom