• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

joelseph

Hey guys, tangential question a little bit.

I've been sitting on a copy of Kingdom Death (kickstarter pledge) and all since it was delivered last year. I simply have not had the time to get to it with other life concerns and I'm interested in selling it. It pains me because the game is damn near universally praised, too. I've managed all of two game nights since October though, so it feels like a waste that I won't get to. :\

That said, eBay is a huge shithole, selling larger ticket items is basically asking for buyers to file falsified claims and rip you off or getting a surprise Paypal chargeback 6 weeks later.

Anyone got a good location to off this sort of thing without drowning in BS? The Marketplace at BGG is showing "0 sales" for KD as well, so maybe it's just really hard to offload?

You could put it up in Math Trades. They have both shipping trades and non-shipping trades.

Phthisis

The gang's all here! I finally unboxed Liberty or Death yesterday and it is definitely the prettiest of the bunch.

Beautiful. I have mine stacked horizontally since the boxes are bulletproof. Falling Sky in March/April! I love them all, but I can confidently say having playtested Falling Sky, that it's the best one by far. Plays super fast, really tense, awesome period feel, and great faction mechanics.

The not changing odds thing is pretty off, it does rely on rolls but like most skill based games/cards/gear, you do have bonuses and such that alter odds in your favor.

I can't say the game looks great though, just got mine too and right away turned off by the giant rulebook
From what I see the chance of you getting equipment is pretty poor as stock are random and something about not able to get to the right place for them. Also the big gun in the middle is also poor at scoring a hit despite how many wasted turns to get to.

It's going to be another Kickstarter fail for me, so far 4 of the 6 games I backed all either subpar. Let hope this year go better I only back couple of projects and having 2nd thought on game like 7th Continent.

For as much as I enjoy board games, I sure love bitching about them. My consistent group of 4 started playing Pandemic Legacy two weeks ago and we just made it to April...

As soon as we opened the package with the little yellow dudes, the whole table just sank into our chairs. Does every board game have to be a zombie game? It hasn't even drastically altered gameplay (yet), but with the horrible over saturation of the zombie theme, it would be nice if games we already enjoyed like Pandemic and TIME Stories would quit giving us the bait and switch.

Spyware

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is my new fav game, and it just blows everything else away. I love how they have managed to make every important part of the movies a card or an event or whatevs. As I said before, we lost the first round due to horrible luck. Managed to get through Alien on our second try and Aliens (which is our fav one) on the first try (but it was hairy a couple of times!)
Alien 3 had a horrible horrible card that made us both die
from chestbursters
after a run that until that was great. The second try was really funny! My SO got killed extremely fast by strikes and I managed to win completely by myself by
killing off most of my Recruit cards to play pretty much only massively strong Attack cards every round. I had such a perfect deck for that!
Resurrection completely destroyed us both tho. We didn't realize
the importance of Recruit points fast enough. Silly us, we should have seen that coming!
Gonna beat Res tomorrow and then unpack Predator :D

not only is upper deck stuff a mess to unpack, but it's not super rare that there are cards missing so you have to double check all that too :/
totally was missing 3 cards in my new sealed first expansion to the marvel game.

their customer support was pretty good though.
Ugh. I wasn't missing anything in my Alien game but I bet I'm gonna miss a bunch of Predator cards just because of that :p

zulux21

so I just played agents of smersh for the second time and enjoyed it enough that I am looking at the expansions. I already snagged the kickstarter bonus box from the publisher (free shipping for some reason ILL TAKE IT) and while the book expansion is avalible on miniature market and cardhaus Agents of SMERSH: Swagman's Hope Expansion isn't avalible either of those or cool stuff (or even on the publisher site)

I was wondering did anyone know if the expansion is out of print at all. I was hoping to get the expansion sometime in the next month or so, and it is $15 cheaper on the other sites instead of amazon. Amazon has it for around the full price, without many copies left, thus while I would prefer the lower price I don't want to wait and then get screwed by it going rare.

in other news the developers of smersh launched a kickstarter today for Mythos Tales a 1-8 player deduction game that looks like a lot of fun. it will come with 8 (soon to be 9 likely 10 all together) cases that can be played competitively or via co op. I backed it as with shipping it was only $49 and the KS version has a hard cover book for the story.

Anyone have thoughts on One Night Ultimate Vampire? I assume if we like ONUW it's a insta-purch?

I'm kinda curious too. Just got ONUW last fall and it quickly has become one of my favorite games. We can play it for hours until we get tired. Just picked up the Daybreak expansion which looks fun too. To me it looks like it adds more complexity and fiddlyness to the game, and I don't think mixing all the roles together will make a good game. It looks more like something I might pick up if Ive played ONUW too much and need something a little different.

zulux21

on the off chance that someone in here owns Agents of Smersh and is eyeing the Agents of SMERSH: Swagman's Hope Expansion but hasn't bought it yet. I got a resposne from 8th summit,
We have no plan to reprint at the moment. You may want to buy it off amazon. We dont even have any copies so price will go up once all gone. Thanks for your interest! And check out Mythos Tales on kickstarter!

8th Summit
thus I just snagged it on amazon for $38.

I imagine it might get reprinted next year or the year after, but I have been burnt by expansions in the past.

EYEL1NER

in other news the developers of smersh launched a kickstarter today for Mythos Tales a 1-8 player deduction game that looks like a lot of fun. it will come with 8 (soon to be 9 likely 10 all together) cases that can be played competitively or via co op. I backed it as with shipping it was only $49 and the KS version has a hard cover book for the story.
I'm going to have to back this. I have yet to play my copy of Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective but I plan on remedying that pretty soon after I am home for good. I am 99% sure I will enjoy SHCD, so having some more of the same but with Cthulu for when I finish seems like a good idea.

Another cthulhu game? Yawn. After pandemic cthulhu whats next? One night cthulhu? Coup cthulhu? Certainly worst than zombies at this point.

@platy, game looks awesome but super hard to find.

Hey guys, tangential question a little bit.

I've been sitting on a copy of Kingdom Death (kickstarter pledge) and all since it was delivered last year. I simply have not had the time to get to it with other life concerns and I'm interested in selling it. It pains me because the game is damn near universally praised, too. I've managed all of two game nights since October though, so it feels like a waste that I won't get to. :\

That said, eBay is a huge shithole, selling larger ticket items is basically asking for buyers to file falsified claims and rip you off or getting a surprise Paypal chargeback 6 weeks later.

Anyone got a good location to off this sort of thing without drowning in BS? The Marketplace at BGG is showing "0 sales" for KD as well, so maybe it's just really hard to offload?

I hate that I didn't have the money for that kickstarter at the time SO MUCH, because we were buying a house. I'm ready now but tough titties

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game is my new fav game, and it just blows everything else away. I love how they have managed to make every important part of the movies a card or an event or whatevs. As I said before, we lost the first round due to horrible luck. Managed to get through Alien on our second try and Aliens (which is our fav one) on the first try (but it was hairy a couple of times!)
Alien 3 had a horrible horrible card that made us both die
from chestbursters
after a run that until that was great. The second try was really funny! My SO got killed extremely fast by strikes and I managed to win completely by myself by
killing off most of my Recruit cards to play pretty much only massively strong Attack cards every round. I had such a perfect deck for that!
Resurrection completely destroyed us both tho. We didn't realize
the importance of Recruit points fast enough. Silly us, we should have seen that coming!
Gonna beat Res tomorrow and then unpack Predator :D

Ugh. I wasn't missing anything in my Alien game but I bet I'm gonna miss a bunch of Predator cards just because of that :p

Are the encounters the way to go or can I kinda pick up any of the legendary stuff and have a good time?

My local shop only had predator and my wife hates the predator. Theme is important for stuff like that for her and the marvel stuff would go over easier

Aliens would too so when they get one in it wont be an issue... just would like some marvel villains stuff too

Spyware

Managed to beat Alien Resurrection on the third try. The second try was a mess where I died during the first turn of the second objective due to strikes. My SO was slowly smacked to death after that due to not being able to heal at all.
The third one was such a tense, fun and cool game. Started out as the complete opposite of the second game because we only got a single strike per person and we could heal them the next turn! After a couple of other type of scares (chestburster!) we easily killed the boss because some Betty crew cards are insanely OP :p

Aliens is still our fav scenario with the other three close behind. Looking forward to trying out some mashups... and soon Predator! Watched the first movie today. So hyped to see what they've done with it!

Are the encounters the way to go or can I kinda pick up any of the legendary stuff and have a good time?

My local shop only had predator and my wife hates the predator. Theme is important for stuff like that for her and the marvel stuff would go over easier

Aliens would too so when they get one in it wont be an issue... just would like some marvel villains stuff too
I can only guess since Alien is my first Legendary game, but it seems all of them are great. Theme is huuuugely important here indeed. Encounters is completely based on the idea of playing through the movies (even tho you can make up own scenarios by mashing them together) and I can't see someone loving the game while disliking the movies/the theme.
I'm very very close to ordering a bunch of Marvel stuff myself since both my SO and I love a huge amount of Marvel characters.

Phthisis

Cthulhu Love Letter

"The object of the game is to vie for the romantic affections of the Great Old One, Cthulhu. If you're the last player remaining, or manage to finish with the highest card, he rises from the deep and sends his starspawn to insert their tentacles into your brain and transmogrify the very essence of your core being to one of his mindless followers."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I haven't played any of the new revision of Pandemic and its expansions, but I love old Pandemic, Legacy, and Dice Game. They're all 8-10 rated games for me, so I do actually have some curiosity about this one. I also don't mind the Cthulhu stuff, though nothing will ever top Arkham. Hoping they go a bit campy with it.

Xater

I haven't played any of the new revision of Pandemic and its expansions, but I love old Pandemic, Legacy, and Dice Game. They're all 8-10 rated games for me, so I do actually have some curiosity about this one. I also don't mind the Cthulhu stuff, though nothing will ever top Arkham. Hoping they go a bit campy with it.

I really like the Dice game, but could go for the Cthulhu Variant. I assume there will maybe be a couple of mechanical changes?

It also might be the first Cthulhu game that interests me mechanically and doesn't take 15 hours to play. I actually don#t own a single game that is Cthulhu themed.

Coup-thulhu

GAF puns invariably make me cringe and/or roll my eyes but this proved the exception to the rule. Excellent! :D

I really like the Dice game, but could go for the Cthulhu Variant. I assume there will maybe be a couple of mechanical changes?

It also might be the first Cthulhu game that interests me mechanically and doesn't take 15 hours to play. I actually don#t own a single game that is Cthulhu themed.

I have never understood the love for Cthulhu and Lovecraftian lore but I recently [rather reluctantly] played The Cards of Cthulhu and was presently surprised. Not enough that I would want a copy in my collection but I don't like the theme so there you are. For someone who does though it is well worth a look.

emag

The first two cases are available as print-and-play on BGG under the name "Arkham Investigator". It's effectively Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective in Lovecraft's Arkham. I'm considering backing it, though I'm not tremendously enamored with the theme or familiar with SHCD, just because of the production values and the chance that it will be the rare solo/coop game that might appeal to me.

$40 for a set of hardcover books that I can pass on to family or friends when I'm done isn't that much of a risk.

Yesterday, I played Suburbia for the first time and it's a fantastic game. An amazing city builder, quite fast, with easy rules and completely coherent interactions between tiles.

I had a lot of fun and I cannot wait to play more.

EYEL1NER

I am also a bit unsure about TMNT. I loved TMNT when I was a kid and immediately rushed to Kickstarter upon seeing that post but there is little info and a big focus on the minis. And if I backed, it would have to be at the $150 level because the only turtle designs I recognize are the more classic interpretations.
EDIT: July delivery date also makes me wary. And hopefully the actual map tiles look more exciting than the two mock ups they show on that page.

zulux21

A property as big as TMNT probably shouldn't even be allowed on Kickstarter.

why?
kickstarter isn't about funding little projects it's about funding projects that people feel are worth backing. (some people only back smaller projects but there is no good reason why bigger projects should be banned especially since they help fund the site to host all the other projects)

There shouldn't be any limits on what is on there in regards to value of IP or company making a kickstarter, if you don't feel it's right for them to ask for money, just merely don't back it :p

Xater

why?
kickstarter isn't about funding little projects it's about funding projects that people feel are worth backing.

There shouldn't be any limits on what is on there in regards to value of IP or company making a kickstarter, if you don't feel it's right for them to ask for money, just merely don't back it :p

Considering the date it looks like the same dumb Kickstarter Queen Games tends to do. It's a game that will get made regardless and they use this to get more money out of people for a couple more minis.

I hate that I didn't have the money for that kickstarter at the time SO MUCH, because we were buying a house. I'm ready now but tough titties

...are you interested? I haven't created the listing yet and I'd be fine with giving a Gaffer dibs if you want. PM me and I can provide some feedback and whatnot if you'd like.

why?
kickstarter isn't about funding little projects it's about funding projects that people feel are worth backing. (some people only back smaller projects but there is no good reason why bigger projects should be banned especially since they help fund the site to host all the other projects)

Frankly don't agree. kickstarter should be to actually fund projects that need help. Companies using it as a preorder system are hurting the market really, many smaller start ups who do need community help, are being overshadowed.

Experien

I am also a bit unsure about TMNT. I loved TMNT when I was a kid and immediately rushed to Kickstarter upon seeing that post but there is little info and a big focus on the minis. And if I backed, it would have to be at the $150 level because the only turtle designs I recognize are the more classic interpretations.
EDIT: July delivery date also makes me wary. And hopefully the actual map tiles look more exciting than the two mock ups they show on that page.

Well the guy designer has been working on this game for awhile. There was a semi-regularly updated post on BGG from the guy making it as he progressed. I think he also finished the rules/story for the game in December. So it literally will be just fine/tuning and sculpting the models.

fenners

Well the guy designer has been working on this game for awhile. There was a semi-regularly updated post on BGG from the guy making it as he progressed. I think he also finished the rules/story for the game in December. So it literally will be just fine/tuning and sculpting the models.

If they're delivering July this year, it almost certainly needs to be in production already.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If they're delivering July this year, it almost certainly needs to be in production already.

Not exactly true. We're tooling the minis already, and most of the art is done, but its not a KS where everything is sitting on the boat waiting to ship. The stretch goals are actually dependent on funding.

The lack of gameplay video is down to waiting on approvals from the licensor. When you have a partner like Nick, you have to get everything cleared first. Once we can put it up we will.

I also promise, the game is super duper awesome. Kevin Wilson killed himself on this one. It's not just a Descent clone, though you can definitely get a sense of the pedigree in it. It's a gamer's game through and through.

Karkador

Banned
why?
kickstarter isn't about funding little projects it's about funding projects that people feel are worth backing.

I don't agree. Kickstarter really IS about small-time creators finding an alternate means to fund their projects.

It's pretty much impossible that a high-profile IP like TMNT, which has had numerous TV shows and movies and toys and videogames throughout the past decades, needs an alternate funding source to make anything TMNT-related happen.

This is specifically about marketing a box of miniatures to a proven hangout for miniatures-crazy buyers.

Minis being done already means stuff's been sculpted and prepped, art is done, folks have to be getting paid, the product is already on it's way outside of stretch goals. The license has been purchased already I'm certain no? That's an in production game. It simply hasn't entered mass manufacturing.

So much involved in a game like this, it is likely not dependent on KS funding, it comes off too many as a preorder "scheme". CMON games are the worst at this with essentially have production models already done and being shown off at shows during a kickstarter campaign even.

Karkador

Banned
The other thing is that KS is a marketplace, and it seems to the detriment of actually-in-need small-time creators on there when they have to compete for people's pledge dollars against the pre-order campaigns from big, established companies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The other thing is that KS is a marketplace, and it seems to the detriment of actually-in-need small-time creators on there when they have to compete for people's pledge dollars against the pre-order campaigns from big, established companies.

That's something I've said out loud but people pretend to not hear. I don't understand why some big companies use KS to fund their game. I understand the financial risk associated with this stuff, but it just feels slimy.

fenners

Not exactly true. We're tooling the minis already, and most of the art is done, but its not a KS where everything is sitting on the boat waiting to ship.

Well, you'd know better than us on production timeline ;) just feels /very/ tight to get that arriving to folk in July considering Golden Week is coming up & you're just pitching the KS now.

mercviper

Well, you'd know better than us on production timeline ;) just feels /very/ tight to get that arriving to folk in July considering Golden Week is coming up & you're just pitching the KS now.
I'm kinda confused as to what Golden Week has to do with anything. Is it being manufactured in Japan?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yesterday, I played Suburbia for the first time and it's a fantastic game. An amazing city builder, quite fast, with easy rules and completely coherent interactions between tiles.

I had a lot of fun and I cannot wait to play more.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite games that I don't get to play as often as I like. (Mostly because people are intimidated by it even though they shouldn't be.)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.

Actual printing time on games isn't that long. Maybe 6-8 weeks, +2 weeks on a boat. It's getting your time-slot locked in at the printer that causes the biggest delays. Lots of small publishers get bumped for bigger orders and it can make the process take 3-6 months.

Printers I don't use anymore also like to find reasons to stop an entire production run for small issues that shouldn't delay anything, which can cause delays.

Top Bottom