• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Neverfade

This thread has me interested in machi koro. But I heard the build quality is shit.

Help?

No problems with my copy. I'd say the only help you need is just go ahead and buy the expansion with it. You're going to want it unless you're playing with very young children or super beginners.

Karkador

Banned
This thread has me interested in machi koro. But I heard the build quality is shit.

Help?

The initial run of it had some issues with production, especially that the expansion sets did not match the base set in color and size. But the problems are most likely ironed out by now. If in doubt, get the Deluxe Edition tin box with the expansions included. You're gonna want them anyway.

Hmm... I'm historically pretty against miniatures based Kickstarters, but I'm also a total stan for mech related things. CONFLICTED.

I want to see some rules.

Typically I am too. But I'm the same. I love me some mecha.

My group is going in together on the 200 level.

I'm pretty confused by the notion that a "real time strategy game" has nothing in the way of timers or anything. It's pretty crazy that they launched this without even explaining what the game is.

Yea annoying, they said they are going to be posting up gameplay tutorials/explanations throughout the campaign.

From one of the earlier previews posted, it kinda looks like you simply move around tokens/gems on board to perform an action, with everyone doing the same thing. Everything a player does requires the movement of resource it looks like on player boards, then it allows player to perform said action.

How combat resolution works is going to be a big factor in how chaotic this gets

If by random chance you did have an issue you are in the right place, the head of Pandasaurus Games is a mod on Neogaf =)

Really? I didn't know that. I had 1 of the 2 decks in the main game completely warped because it was wrapped too tightly in it's plastic. It irks me to no end. Especially now since I have both expansions! It really makes the warped cards stick out even more.

sasimirobot

So I finally caved in and went where I thought I would never go, mainly because I have always thought card games like "Magic" was a bunch of smelly neck-bearded nerds (sorry stereotypes die hard) and ordered a copy of "Android Netrunner".

Played maybe 10 games on Jinteki.net. The first game I ever played, I had a Korean dude curse me for 20 minutes straight even though I labeled the game, "core_deck- noob first game".
01070.png

He went full kekekeke mode on me and of course I lost, but the hook was set.

Can't wait to bring it to the table and teach it, I am looking forward to the challenge of trying to get my friends into this because, holy shit, what a learning curve on this one...

Phthisis

So I finally caved in and went where I thought I would never go, mainly because I have always thought card games like "Magic" was a bunch of smelly neck-bearded nerds (sorry stereotypes die hard) and ordered a copy of "Android Netrunner".

Played maybe 10 games on Jinteki.net. The first game I ever played, I had a Korean dude curse me for 20 minutes straight even though I labeled the game, "core_deck- noob first game". He went full kekekeke mode on me and of course I lost, but the hook was set.

Can't wait to bring it to the table and teach it, I am looking forward to the challenge of trying to get my friends into this because, holy shit, what a learning curve on this one...

Best card game. Asymmetric design is so tight

Gurrry

welp im officially diving all in to the game of thrones card game

started with 2 cores, decided i need to buy a 3rd and also picked up the first expansion. now im looking at chapter packs.

the game is so good

So both Cry Havoc and Scythe are being called like "the best games ever" but I got to admit that Scythe looks to be way more up my alley in terms of aesthetic.

Blizzard

Banned
So both Cry Havoc and Scythe are being called like "the best games ever" but I got to admit that Scythe looks to be way more up my alley in terms of aesthetic.
I'm a pretty big Scythe fan, but I also try to be reasonable. The game does have flaws (that goes without saying for any game), and it's not for everyone.

Specifically, if you want a wargame, it's not that. However, it's not multiplayer solitaire, and combat CAN be important in certain situations. The overall focus is on efficiency and threatening with combat when needed.

Regarding aesthetics, Scythe is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

I'm a pretty big Scythe fan, but I also try to be reasonable. The game does have flaws (that goes without saying for any game), and it's not for everyone.

Specifically, if you want a wargame, it's not that. However, it's not multiplayer solitaire, and combat CAN be important in certain situations. The overall focus is on efficiency and threatening with combat when needed.

Regarding aesthetics, Scythe is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

Yeah, the more I hear that Scythe is about building an engine in this world, and the less it is a war game, the more I really want it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
welp im officially diving all in to the game of thrones card game

started with 2 cores, decided i need to buy a 3rd and also picked up the first expansion. now im looking at chapter packs.

the game is so good

Honestly almost all of FFG's LCGs are quite good as games. It's just don't rely on a community being there to play with in six months even. FFG LCGs have a decent lifespan, but even they get killed off or at least fritter away hugely, and former hotness like Doomtown gets discontinued after briefly burning brightly. It's an interesting model. After playing Netrunner very seriously for about three years I don't think I'll get into one again.

Don't regret it at all but the whole thing just requires a pretty big commitment (at least in my mind -- I can't just play some narrowly defined set of cards with the same group -- game gets too boring) and I really like flitting around to different games, old and new. In the five months since I quit Netrunner I've played 76 unique titles across 148 plays (thanks BG stats), and I think during my years playing NR I played maybe 10 unique non-NR titles.

I can't tell if fantasy flight is a good company or bad.

Their games area all great from what I've played. Fanastick build quality. Fun.

But their business model is evil. One of the biggest money sink companise I've seen. Besides maybe games workshop or wotc.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

But their business model is evil. One of the biggest money sink companise I've seen. Besides maybe games workshop or wotc.

FFG are kind of assholes when it comes to business no doubt. I don't know if it's still true but back in the day I heard they paid their artists like shit and Petersen was kind of a megalomaniac. Even before the anti-online-store policy, I remember thinking pretty poorly of them for trying to sue someone for using game mechanics similar to theirs. But for the most part their games are quite good, awesome art and components, so as long as they keep that up I won't boycott them or anything unless they really go off the rails.

I don't see how they are evil for doing LCGs? Far more friendlier model and format than your standard CCG formats.

If anything, my issue with FFG is how they have become a Star Wars company it feels like, their variety has gone to shit and it's like nothing but one Star Wars product after another.

Gurrry

The GoT game is magnificent. They really really REALLY nailed the theme with the houses and the characters. Each ability fits them so perfectly compared to their role in the books/show.

You can get 2 cores (shit, you can really just get 1 if you dont care about taking it seriously) and have a great time. Thats what I have now and it works well. Im buying a third because I think I actually want to try and play against people in my local scene for fun. The game is alot of fun to play and watch.

Lyng

The one thing that mainly attracts me to Cry Havoc is the designer. He also created the fantastic Theseus: The Dark Orbit, which is one of my favourite games ever and without a doubt my favourite game of all time with two players.
The guy has a nack for creating brilliant depth with simple mechanics.

I wrote off Scythe but the more I read about it, the more it interests me because of the lack of combat.

It is on the list for sure... But would need one heck of a sale at au prices.

Finally my wife and I played the copy of Dale of Merchants that I received for backing Dale of Merchants 2 on Kickstarter at a specific level. First game was a little slow since I was teaching her the rules. I ended up winning and she demanded a rematch. We used the other sets of animal folk cards that were unused in the first game, and she crushed me. This is her first deck builder and she really likes how it plays. Now she can't for the sequel to arrive in October.

I don't see how they are evil for doing LCGs? Far more friendlier model and format than your standard CCG formats.

If anything, my issue with FFG is how they have become a Star Wars company it feels like, their variety has gone to shit and it's like nothing but one Star Wars product after another.
Hmm, I know that their cash cow is Xwing but I find their portfolio to be pretty diverse. In recent year they introduce two new Warhammer games, reprint and update many of the old favorites like Fury of Dracula, Tigris and Euphrates, Missions to Mar, they also still doing expansion for Eldritch and Elder Sign put out new edition of Games of Thrones and still support Nerrunners and Conquest. Granted they are now mostly licensed game company but I wouldn't call them Star Wars only company.

As fast as them being terrible, I do have a beef with their reason decision regarding online sale but I never find their LCG model to be anything but better than blind pack collectible model champion by Wiz kids and Hasbro.

Protome

I'd definitely be interested in seeing your friend's review.

I'll post it when it's up :) He's still recovering so it might be a little bit.

You have an excellent taste ;)

Thanks! The first year my podcast started covering Board Games in our GOTY specials, Splendor was the first thing my co-host brought to the table as a "You need to fucking play this before we record" game. It has stuck since then. I even got my girlfriend hooked on the phone version!

Found the evil dead 2 kickstarter and was so excited, but man that page is just so iffy

I feel the exact same way. It's one of those games I'd be tempted to pick up just for the nice box and pieces if I could afford it. Like that Labyrinth board game which didn't look so hot but i totally want a miniature of Bowie.

Noaloha

I'm so close to being 100% fine with the LCG model that FFG go by. But the Core box thing (not including max copies of a smattering of, typically desirable, cards) reeeeally rubs me the wrong way. It feels so clearly over what my gut tells me is a line.

DagsJT

Finally my wife and I played the copy of Dale of Merchants that I received for backing Dale of Merchants 2 on Kickstarter at a specific level. First game was a little slow since I was teaching her the rules. I ended up winning and she demanded a rematch. We used the other sets of animal folk cards that were unused in the first game, and she crushed me. This is her first deck builder and she really likes how it plays. Now she can't for the sequel to arrive in October.

I remember watching the Dice Tower review and they really liked DoM. Been on my wish list for a little while now, but I think I'll get Valley Of The Kings first.

Karkador

Banned
I'm so close to being 100% fine with the LCG model that FFG go by. But the Core box thing (not including max copies of a smattering of, typically desirable, cards) reeeeally rubs me the wrong way. It feels so clearly over what my gut tells me is a line.

Even as someone who really likes Netrunner, I gotta say I agree. It stinks.

Maybe they do it to try and encourage players to think outside the "box" of a certain dominant strategy...but they know the hardcore players are going to need to buy 3 core sets.

I do think you can get by with just one set, especially now that there are so many expansions out and those DO give you 3 of each, always). The cards missing from the core are not that vital, IMO.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was able to snag a cheap copy of Descent 2e, so I did with intentions of trying it out with the RtL app. Hopefully it delivers!

The point of the LCG core box is to give people a taste of the game, while keeping it at a price point that makes sense for people just starting out. As long as they include legal decks, I'm cool with core sets missing cards. My beef with the model is when they release a core set, but with no way to create a tourney legal deck. AGOT is like this. It's kind of annoying because you don't truly get the feel for the game unless you get two core sets.

Netrunner (prior to the latest errata) did it right. Giving you the opportunity to play all factions right out of the box with tournament legal decks. Buying more than 1 core for Netrunner is less of an immediate issue as you only really need it if you plan on deck building and need more consistency with the core set cards.

Karkador

Banned
Netrunner (prior to the latest errata) did it right. Giving you the opportunity to play all factions right out of the box with tournament legal decks. Buying more than 1 core for Netrunner is less of an immediate issue as you only really need it if you plan on deck building and need more consistency with the core set cards.

What happened with the latest errata?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What happened with the latest errata?

They made astroscript unique so technically you can't build a legal NBN deck with core. Although tbh NBN is not that OP in core so I'd say very reasonable to just ignore -- it's just all the cards that came later that made NBN OP, necessitating the errata.

sasimirobot

I just got paid d 30$/hour to teach Camel Up to a group of Chinese summer camp kids. took over 2 hours to finish the game because we played with expansions and 8 players, but can't complain for getting paid to boardgame. China you crazy

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Descent is fantastic. 9/10 game

My hope is that it delivers from a solo/co-op experience. I have no desire to take advantage of the OL mechanics. I love the idea of this epic story based experience, though. And seeing as Runebound 2e is my favorite game of all time, the repetitive nature of replays isn't going to bother me.

My hope is that it delivers from a solo/co-op experience. I have no desire to take advantage of the OL mechanics. I love the idea of this epic story based experience, though. And seeing as Runebound 2e is my favorite game of all time, the repetitive nature of replays isn't going to bother me.

Basic Descent 2E is kinda bare bones, the expansions each add more complexity to the game and make it more diverse and rpg like. Ironically alot of what each expansion adds, were features of the original Descent that the game stripped away in simplifying it. So they been slowly adding back in features from the old game with each expansion.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Basic Descent 2E is kinda bare bones, the expansions each add more complexity to the game and make it more diverse and rpg like. Ironically alot of what each expansion adds, were features of the original Descent that the game stripped away in simplifying it. So they been slowly adding back in features from the old game with each expansion.

I remember Descent 1e. I actually owned it for a while, but NOBODY ever wanted to sit down and play it because of the time investment it required. For what I paid, I'll be happy with 2e even if it's just "OK".

I remember Descent 1e. I actually owned it for a while, but NOBODY ever wanted to sit down and play it because of the time investment it required. For what I paid, I'll be happy with 2e even if it's just "OK".

2e plays alot faster, in large part due to scale of game. Most scenario maps are about 1/4 the size of 1E maps. They also simplified the OL turn.

If you played Imperial Assault, it's essentially same thing

Man you guys NEED to play Via Nebula! It's so good!!

I'm hoping to at GenCon. I'm also hoping for a second play of Scythe. I like what I played, but like Orleans, my first game was all about trying to figure out what's going on, watching the leader race ahead, the realizing what I should have been doing all along!

It didn't help that I had the Engineer board. That + Ruskies = no natural synergy

Speaking of LCG I am thinking about clearing out all my LCG. My son moved out last year and won't be home for another three and even then if he reenlisted he will gone for even longer and he pretty much my only opponent. I have Netrunner core set and Warhammer Conquest core set along with Star Wars LCG (this we were really into and have the core plus several expansions.) I am in US if you interested in any of the above feel free to PM me. I will probably have to take stock of what expansions I have for Star Wars.

Also anyone here play Terra Mystics? Is it good with 2 or 3 players and how hard is it to teach.

Top Bottom