• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

X-Wing fans, I need your assistance.

As part of my 40th birthday party I and a few friends will be gathering to play X-Wing. I'm the only one who has played. I don't get to play often at that, having only been able to play a few times total. Does anyone have a recommendation on a scenario good for 2-3 people playing roughly 200 pts per side? I have a decent selection Empire and Rebel ships (classic only, no EU/rebels/TFA), no capital ships though I'm open to buying one of anyone thinks it would make for a particularly memorable scenario.

I'm gonna start off with a small demo using just a few ships, then go into the main game. I'm not going to throw them into the deep end. Atmosphere with these people should be "casually competitive".

I am sorry if this is late but I missed your post, anyway, probably better to ask in the X-wings thread here on GAF.

It has been awhile since I played last but the capital ship scenario is pretty fun for multi players if you don't mind getting one of those. (the Corellian Frigate is a sweet looking model anyway).

Experien

A long while ago someone in here mentioned their local store playing this HUGE Zombicide game with people coming in, dying, and then more people coming in...anyone remember that or heard of such a thing?

Trying to see if I can figure out how it is done and run one myself.

edit: nevermind found it, still figuring out the details

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
A long while ago someone in here mentioned their local store playing this HUGE Zombicide game with people coming in, dying, and then more people coming in...anyone remember that or heard of such a thing?

Trying to see if I can figure out how it is done and run one myself.

edit: nevermind found it, still figuring out the details

Link? Wouldn't mind seeing that myself.

Experien

Link? Wouldn't mind seeing that myself.

Page 234, starts at post 11677

Played the biggest zombicide game ever I think this weekend at our local coffeshop/comicstore.

All 3 seasons + expansions and double tiles for rue and season 1, I think we had about 54 tiles laying around with just under 1000 zombies roaming the board near the end with 8 spawn points.

People joined throughout the day so we racked up about 31 survivors, most of them ending up dead.

Great day though.

I asked for details and got this:

We were playing for a defense mission on the middle for control of the helipad. New people spawned in one of 4 surrounding buildings determined via a d4.

If we controlled the pad for 10 turns the chopper would save the survivors.

Turns were a bit trickier when we had 13 people at once but we never went higher than that.

Not really a normal mission, more of a way to introduce new people to the game.

Going to have to look at what tiles i have and if I can make this happen. Not sure where the spawn points were set up but I have seasons 1 & 2 (with all the extra zombies) so I could still do a super large one.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks!
Edit: I would like to create something using all the tiles. My buddy has ping pong table we play on so that would work great.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If you come up with something cool, don't be a stranger!

Already have some ideas. Balancing would be the trick. The primary mission would be to traverse the length of the city with mini objectives along the way (getting supplies, freeing people from the prison, rescuing people from the mall). Working out the spawn system would be key.

tried pulling out Warhammer quest adventure card game last night to play with 2 buddies and we got bogged down hard by some of the rules. I don't understand why I didn't have that problem last time I pulled it out.

i hate when that happens.

ultron87

Will be at Gen Con in a week! Yay! Lucked out to be staying at the Westin so it should be sweet. Think this is my sixth year going?

I'm currently scheduled to play Mystic Vale, Bear Valley, Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China, and Crisis. Picking up Codenames: Pictures and Secret Hitler as well. The new BGG room that just got added that'll have stuff like Scythe and Cry Havoc might get me to try a few more "hot" things.

Outside of strict board games, also have True Dungeon scheduled and I'm going to try and play a bunch of tabletop RPGs. Have D&D and Call of Cthulhu scheduled and going to try and make good use of the Indie Games on Demand area to try smaller games. Would really like to get a play of Blades in the Dark in if that is running there.

My buddy that is the most into heavy games went and dropped from the trip last week, so that's a bummer, but I should still be able to get some plays in.

Blizzard

Banned
tried pulling out Warhammer quest adventure card game last night to play with 2 buddies and we got bogged down hard by some of the rules. I don't understand why I didn't have that problem last time I pulled it out.

i hate when that happens.
The Warhammer Quest card game rules are super painful in my opinion. There are so many things you have to cross-reference, and some of it might not even be listed. If you just look at the rules for deck setup, you might miss the rule on a totally different page about certain cards being removed from the decks before setup.

Any rule you try to look up is a crapshoot about whether you remember the proper term, and whether the term you pick is listed with or without a crossreference. If you have questions about specific cards, you are probably out of luck because there is no card reference and you will have to go online.

joelseph

Will be at Gen Con in a week! Yay! Lucked out to be staying at the Westin so it should be sweet. Think this is my sixth year going?

I'm currently scheduled to play Mystic Vale, Bear Valley, Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China, and Crisis. Picking up Codenames: Pictures and Secret Hitler as well. The new BGG room that just got added that'll have stuff like Scythe and Cry Havoc might get me to try a few more "hot" things.

Outside of strict board games, also have True Dungeon scheduled and I'm going to try and play a bunch of tabletop RPGs. Have D&D and Call of Cthulhu scheduled and going to try and make good use of the Indie Games on Demand area to try smaller games. Would really like to get a play of Blades in the Dark in if that is running there.

My buddy that is the most into heavy games went and dropped from the trip last week, so that's a bummer, but I should still be able to get some plays in.

If any Gaffers are looking to hang with a really chill group of people from Illinois feel free to hit me up on twitter at @joelparrett. My crew Lighter Thieves usually is stationed in the JW conference rooms behind Starbucks. Will try and leave table signs up if anyone wants to wander in just ask for Joel or "JP".

joelseph

I know a bunch of people working the FFG booth and they were saying there will be 2 secret projects unveiled. I wonder if Doom was one of them?

Phthisis

The Warhammer Quest card game rules are super painful in my opinion. There are so many things you have to cross-reference, and some of it might not even be listed. If you just look at the rules for deck setup, you might miss the rule on a totally different page about certain cards being removed from the decks before setup.

Any rule you try to look up is a crapshoot about whether you remember the proper term, and whether the term you pick is listed with or without a crossreference. If you have questions about specific cards, you are probably out of luck because there is no card reference and you will have to go online.

Star Wars Rebellion has the problem with a couple specific rules, too. FFG's double (sometimes triple) rulebook thing needs to go away. It's a good idea on paper, but IMO has caused more rules comprehension problems than it solves.

I'm surprised with them not making DOOM fully coop, with the drive to take away the one player is a bad guy (DM) role from their games, they go and just do it again.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's a bummer. I'm frankly not a big fan of the Descent mechanics or playstyle (feels extremely kludgy to me from many perspectives, including the fact that most groups don't want Overlord-style play), so kind of annoying to me personally that they're copying them left and right. But I know it's a huge market success so I'm probably in the minority.

Also why are most board-game podcasts so bad? The Secret Cabal guys are on this week's Dice Tower and it's just excruciating to listen to them, as are most "Dice Tower Network" guests that they have on. I know it's love/hate but I really like Tom & Eric, and wish there were more podcasts of that quality. Shut Up & Sit Down guys are smart, but they don't podcast frequently and sometimes I feel like they edge into self-parody with the random "indie-gamey" shit they talk about that aren't even good games. (Thankfully they're YT feed focuses much more on mainstream titles, and I greatly prefer that.)

I know a bunch of people working the FFG booth and they were saying there will be 2 secret projects unveiled. I wonder if Doom was one of them?

While I'm glad to see non star wars products, I do hope they expand or create a mass ground combat game for Star Wars like X-wing. I need some AT-ATs and ground combat

Draxal

I'm surprised with them not making DOOM fully coop, with the drive to take away the one player is a bad guy (DM) role from their games, they go and just do it again.

App incoming! Don't think it will run into licensing issues like star wars (assuming both on star wars and doom).

joelseph

That's a bummer. I'm frankly not a big fan of the Descent mechanics or playstyle (feels extremely kludgy to me from many perspectives, including the fact that most groups don't want Overlord-style play), so kind of annoying to me personally that they're copying them left and right. But I know it's a huge market success so I'm probably in the minority.

Also why are most board-game podcasts so bad? The Secret Cabal guys are on this week's Dice Tower and it's just excruciating to listen to them, as are most "Dice Tower Network" guests that they have on. I know it's love/hate but I really like Tom & Eric, and wish there were more podcasts of that quality. Shut Up & Sit Down guys are smart, but they don't podcast frequently and sometimes I feel like they edge into self-parody with the random "indie-gamey" shit they talk about that aren't even good games. (Thankfully they're YT feed focuses much more on mainstream titles, and I greatly prefer that.)

Not a podcast but the Inside the Box youtube channel is some of the best boardgame content being created.

Was Gears of War a Decent clone? I remember reading that it was a good for a licensed game.

No, it was fully coop, mechanics were pretty different too. Was great game.

Also DOOM was originally the originator of the ruleset that Descent used and has been modified over the past decade.

Lupercal

Banned
Page 234, starts at post 11677

I asked for details and got this:

Going to have to look at what tiles i have and if I can make this happen. Not sure where the spawn points were set up but I have seasons 1 & 2 (with all the extra zombies) so I could still do a super large one.

I can see if I can remake it with the map editor. You don't need all 3 seasons for it, but it helps that season 3 had a huge courtyard with it.

Lyng

I couldnt agree more. Tom and Eric are in a league of their own. The show is edited perfectly and they have a really amazing chemistry.
SUSD should just stick to videos. Thats what they do best.

The Doom announcement was a surprise. I'm pretty stoked to finally pick up a copy for myself.

I think I prefer Secret Cabal over the Dice Tower these days. The Dice Tower has been driving me crazy with the Tales of X segment. None of them are interesting and they just go on and on. Not to mention they will do like two or three of these dumb segments a show. I still like their top 10s and some contributors come through with interesting content (Geoff Englestein mostly) I just find myself fast forwarding a lot of their show.

Secret Cabal feels like what Dice Tower used to be before the over abundance of segments. It's just a group of guys talking about games. I could do without the look back segment (they re-review of a game they had reviewed the year prior) though. Every look back is them saying they haven't played the game in a while. It's kind of a waste of time to be honest. The segment could be interesting if they actually went back and played the game again.

Beyond that they are the only two dedicated board gaming podcasts I listen to.

Taborcarn

My favorite gaming podcast right now is Dukes of Dice. They have a similar format to Secret Cabal where they have a main review and a look back at an old one, but they tend to stay on message better. And their taste in games (well, Sean's) more closely match my own.

It might be a little low brow for this thread, but my family has been on a Skip Bo tangent the past several nights. My kids learned the card game in one turn. When I was a kid I used to play this game with my grandma and all her friends. They would sit and chat and play Skip Bo for hours on end. It is totally a nostalgia game for me.

We also played Life at my children's insistence. Man I hate that game!

Taborcarn

That's not low brow at all, it's a sweet story. I've heard of Skip Bo but never played.

CV is a pretty fun alternative to The Game of Life. It's mostly a Yahtzee mechanic so there's not a huge learning curve, and there a Watch it Played video.

fenners

It might be a little low brow for this thread, but my family has been on a Skip Bo tangent the past several nights. My kids learned the card game in one turn. When I was a kid I used to play this game with my grandma and all her friends. They would sit and chat and play Skip Bo for hours on end. It is totally a nostalgia game for me.

Life is awful, but there's nowt wrong with the rest of this story ;) As ridiculous as this sounds, when we go to the bar my kids' ask for Uno & Go Fish in among the games of Jenga/Rhino Hero/Jungle Speed etc.

It's a family friendly growler bar with a bunch of classic arcade games, popcorn & food trucks - great neighbourhood experience & always tons of families on the weekend. But man, when my elementary aged kids say "Let's go to the growler bar!"....

fenners

....it's awesome!(?)

;) Oh for sure, I'm happy they enjoy hanging out there, there's usually some school friends around too, but still... Good parenting & all that :)

Here's their website BTW, you can see what's on tap etc. Always a good selection of beers! They only have a few tables big enough for most modern eurogames, but a couple of buddies & I will give 'em a go on a quiet weeknight in our usual rotation of 'new pub game night' rotation.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

My wife and I play SkipBo a lot. Fun game, until I get angry from losing all the time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Doom announcement was a surprise. I'm pretty stoked to finally pick up a copy for myself.

I think I prefer Secret Cabal over the Dice Tower these days. The Dice Tower has been driving me crazy with the Tales of X segment. None of them are interesting and they just go on and on. Not to mention they will do like two or three of these dumb segments a show. I still like their top 10s and some contributors come through with interesting content (Geoff Englestein mostly) I just find myself fast forwarding a lot of their show.

Secret Cabal feels like what Dice Tower used to be before the over abundance of segments. It's just a group of guys talking about games. I could do without the look back segment (they re-review of a game they had reviewed the year prior) though. Every look back is them saying they haven't played the game in a while. It's kind of a waste of time to be honest. The segment could be interesting if they actually went back and played the game again.

Beyond that they are the only two dedicated board gaming podcasts I listen to.

Hmm maybe I should give those guys another chance. On Dice Tower they were just saying stuff like "and he puts cool stuff...in his games...which is why like his games...and i just want to buy them." But maybe they were just nervous or out of sorts being on Dice Tower. I remember when that guy from Lost was on, which props to him for being a board gamer, but man was he horrible on there. I'm with you on some of the segments, but I think the past few months they've culled it down to where mostly good ones are left. Engelstein is definitely the best, and I actually kinda like the History of a Game one and a lot of the other regulars, though some of the "how to make a board-game group" or "here are some cool gateways" ones are pretty uninteresting. "Tales of" I like mostly though I could say how it would be love/hate.

Xater

I'm interested in the new Doom game, but needing a DM is kind of a bummer. A pure coop experience would have shot that thing up to instant buy.

Star Wars Rebellion has the problem with a couple specific rules, too. FFG's double (sometimes triple) rulebook thing needs to go away. It's a good idea on paper, but IMO has caused more rules comprehension problems than it solves.

It's a lot like Mage Knight andr Andor rules book, you either hate it or love it. I can't stand it at first but I am coming around to it now that I know where to look. The thing is they should make the rule book itself easier to navigate. I don't really have issue with Warhammer Quest rule and the only thing trip us up on Rebellion was the combat phase (we were playing crazy unlimited card battle).

I love the Secret Cabal, sometimes they can be a bit overtop but if you listen to them for period of times, they will admit that they are doing it for entertainment but it always come through to me how much they love board games and gaming. Blue Peg Pink Peg is pretty good, except for one prude guy that sometimes get on my nerve complaining about Kingdom Death Monsters, I though by this point in gaming we are past the point that board game are just for kids and family. It's nice to have more adult theme board games. Dice Tower, I enjoy Eric and Tom banter but sometimes certain segment I just tuned out but you can't expect every segment to be cater to your taste. Another one I listen to is Throwing Dices and Taking Name.

Doom look like Imperial Assault for people that doesn't like Star Wars, I don't really know if we need another game like this. I am also surprise they are going back to one VS many with the conversion of Descent and Mansion to co-op game. May be they feel that they need a few one VS many for those that prefer this style of games.

Sounds like typical big rulebook ameritrash issues really, not something just found with FFG games. Flying Frog are some of the worst at it too, all the random rules

Xater

Doom look like Imperial Assault for people that doesn't like Star Wars, I don't really know if we need another game like this. I am also surprise they are going back to one VS many with the conversion of Descent and Mansion to co-op game. May be they feel that they need a few one VS many for those that prefer this style of games.

I like Star Wars but the "price gauging" of FFG rubbed me the wrong way with this one. How they include some characters just in token form and still ask for that much money. It never seemed like I#d be happy just having the base game.

Doom might at least not have that part, because there just less characters and a license that is probably by far cheaper.

So all the clearance at Barnes & Noble stores shifted to 75% off. Somehow I was lucky enough to get Zombicide for $22.50. Looking forward to playing it.

I've also had a chance to play Legendary Encounters Alien (that I also got from B&N clearance) and I must say it is a blast. My friend and I screwed up on the rules a bit our first go. We didn't draw from the hive deck for each person's turn, but instead after we both took our turn. That made the game a breeze. Second time we played it right and, man, it was challenging.

Vard

Played Scythe today. Another elegant game from the designer. I don't even own Viticulture/Tuscany yet and I need this game :D.
Finally got Viticulture Essential Edition to the table and everyone really enjoyed it and wants to play it again soon. I've been interested in Scythe but want to see more videos of how it actually plays - noticed it's got a fairly heavy weight and play length.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got Viticulture Essential Edition to the table and everyone really enjoyed it and wants to play it again soon. I've been interested in Scythe but want to see more videos of how it actually plays - noticed it's got a fairly heavy weight and play length.

Nice, love Viticulture.

They just released a Tuscany Essentials Edition. Less expensive than the full Tuscany and has the best bit which is the expanded board.

I've been interested in Scythe but want to see more videos of how it actually plays - noticed it's got a fairly heavy weight and play length.

After the first play, it should actually be medium in length, still somewhat heavy in play. It's weird, but in my head, I compare it to Istanbul and Eclipse. Like Eclipse, there's a 4x element in explore, expand, the combat e, and the research e.

Scale that down a bit to Istanbul's length. The goal is to be the first to six stars, so you can still do all those 4x things, but have that time limit where it's more like a race, so when you switch over from engine-building to scoring is super important.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I went from maybe doing Gen Con for a day to probably doing Gen Con for all 4 days. I'm going to try and get my shit done over the weekend so I can take off without feeling guilty. A lot of games I'd really love to demo, play, and see in person.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Trolling wallets

Haha yes, exactly. I'm not saying the stuff doesn't sell! I actually like that the dice have nice art on them, unlike Dice Masters which is mostly pretty cheap looking imo (not even as nice as Quarriors). Too bad it's just a single piece of art on each die though afaict, that's actually kind of a bummer.

Karkador

Banned
Don't like the look of the dice (sorry, Premium Dice®). Dice Masters dice are slightly on the cheap side, but fine to play with nonetheless, and the variety of colors they use + the choice in iconography is a lot of fun. Definitely nice to have a big, colorful handful of them. The SW Premium Dice® just look weird.

Top Bottom