• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Xater

Today a shop has Caverna for 25% off here in Germany. Had I not already bought Russian Railroads I probably would have bought it.

I was so-so on Black Gold. It's not a bad game it was just something that didn't do anything for me.

Last Will is fantastic though, so good pick up. It's one of my favorite games and one I will play at the drop of a hat if asked. The expansion is fun too and not too hard to integrate even in your first few games.

Really looking forward to Last Will. I picked up Black Gold because of a Shut Up and Sit Down review, but it seems like Lords of Vegas is a similar, but superior game. Ah well, the components at least look really cool.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The concept of a Witcher board game just never seemed to make much sense to me in the first place.

I thought they could have made a pretty awesome standard FFG game with way too much flavor text, too many chits, too long, and insanely good production values. :p I really like the universe and would be happy to dive into an Arkham-like co-op or Descent-like in it. Or even a knockoff of Claustrophobia would work if you want something lighter. What we got is...rough. Maybe I'm overreacting based on my first impressions, but like I said in the digital board games thread, the main action you take being just bouncing between two cities to collect a token is just a disaster of game design.

I got my long await Star Wars X-Wings from Miniature Market that I pre-ordered several months ago (never again) and the half of the pre-order items are missing. One of the item is a Christmas gift and at the rate they ship their stuff, it will never get here in time. Are they usually this terrible with pre-order?

Neverfade

I got my long await Star Wars X-Wings from Miniature Market that I pre-ordered several months ago (never again) and the half of the pre-order items are missing. One of the item is a Christmas gift and at the rate they ship their stuff, it will never get here in time. Are they usually this terrible with pre-order?

Miniature Market is pretty fantastic in prices, shipping, and customer service. Your experience doesn't sound like a typical one.

Experien

I've ordered from them a few times, never had a problem. Pre-ordered Wave 2 of X-Wing and no problems....well the main problem is I also included the space mats that were never made, but when I asked for them to send it without it, they quickly did so. I later got a refund as credit for the mats.

Never a bad experience and so I have Imperial Assault pre-ordered with them.

I've ordered from them a few times, never had a problem. Pre-ordered Wave 2 of X-Wing and no problems....well the main problem is I also included the space mats that were never made, but when I asked for them to send it without it, they quickly did so. I later got a refund as credit for the mats.

Never a bad experience and so I have Imperial Assault pre-ordered with them.

I think part of the problem was they send part of the order that were in stock and was holding the pre-order but Conquest and Rebel Aces came out before the Outrider and Decimator but they were holding them and just simply confuse about what already send. I hope I don't have to fight with them about what I already receive but I will probably not pre-order anything from them again.

On another note, buying WizKids Dice Masters make me remember how much I hate their blind packs. I got them because they were a buck each and well I can't help it when I see games. Frankly I didn't really enjoy the game much playing with just starter pack but seeing just how random of the dice you get I am not sure how I can have a tournament game without buying crap tons of them.

Seeing Coolstuff having put dicemasters on sale recently makes me wonder if that bubble already burst? I assume they along with many other retailers over bought the new set because of the demand the first had. And now they aren't selling out. All local places I've seen have a bunch of stock on Dicemasters stuff. Makes me wonder if they missed their chance or retailers will have to wait and see.

Bad thing though with these situations is retailers will now want to order less with any future expansions as they become cautious. Remember same happened with Monsterpocalypse, game sold out everywhere, was hyped as hell, restocks kept going quick so many retailers over bought into the expansion, leaving many with tons of unsold product. It hurt their drive to order more, and helped kill off the game.

Karkador

Banned
Seeing Coolstuff having put dicemasters on sale recently makes me wonder if that bubble already burst? I assume they along with many other retailers over bought the new set because of the demand the first had. And now they aren't selling out. All local places I've seen have a bunch of stock on Dicemasters stuff. Makes me wonder if they missed their chance or retailers will have to wait and see.

Bad thing though with these situations is retailers will now want to order less with any future expansions as they become cautious. Remember same happened with Monsterpocalypse, game sold out everywhere, was hyped as hell, restocks kept going quick so many retailers over bought into the expansion, leaving many with tons of unsold product. It hurt their drive to order more, and helped kill off the game.

I'm gonna guess that it hasn't burst, it's just that supply actually met the demand for the X-Men Dice Masters set, so we're not seeing crazy price gouging again (although it's still hard to find AvX stuff). Let's see how it goes when they release more of the sets next year.

FWIW, people are still logging about as many plays of Dice Masters on BGG as they are of Avalon.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The blind-buy model is so lame and I loved watching all the fanboys on BGG dream up excuses for why it's totally OK and everyone should just shut up about it.

Karkador

Banned
You mean, buying dice and cards in blind booster packs?

I think it's fun, namely because you get two new nifty dice in a pack that costs $1 (or less, if you shop at the discount sites), and even if you don't get the card you want, you will probably still find a use for the dice, since you can use a character's die on its common card as well as its super-rare awesome card...so getting repeats hurts a little less, up to a point (when you have 4 of a character's dice).

It helps that I don't see Dice Masters as a competitive game, so I'm not scouring through a ton of boosters looking for the most powerful cards. It's really just a matter of how much I want to grow my collection of stuff, and doing it in $1 increments is more manageable than other collectible games, IMO.

You mean, buying dice and cards in blind booster packs?

I think it's fun, namely because you get two new nifty dice in a pack that costs $1 (or less, if you shop at the discount sites), and even if you don't get the card you want, you will probably still find a use for the dice, since you can use a character's die on its common card as well as its super-rare awesome card...so getting repeats hurts a little less, up to a point (when you have 4 of a character's dice).

It helps that I don't see Dice Masters as a competitive game, so I'm not scouring through a ton of boosters looking for the most powerful cards. It's really just a matter of how much I want to grow my collection of stuff, and doing it in $1 increments is more manageable than other collectible games, IMO.
The collectable model sucks for most games. I don't think I would be as into Netrunner as I am if it was a collectable game. That being said, I'm with you here. The packs are priced really well. At $1 it puts it squarely in impulse buy territory. Hell, I bought five packs at Target the other day just because they were there. (I even got a super rare Iron Man out of it, so I have that going for me. )

Karkador

Banned
I agree that it would be a turn-off if I was into the a game competitively, mostly because of the money-sink and not having access to powerful cards. However, I can't deny that I find thrills in opening blind box/random booster stuff, and in collectathons in general...so despite what I just said, that element is appealing to me.

We just got Smash Bros recently, and half of the fun I've been having in that fighting game is collecting all the character trophies (so I can pose them in photo mode), much like how half the fun of Dice Masters to me is the collection. Ambition, or illness?

They might be a buck each but after spending about $15.00 on boosters and get one dice of each character I would rather spend said $5.00 and get bunch of of dices with set of characters that are useful. But this is WizKids so... Also the quality of their products still terrible. Dice have weird paint job and fading and feel cheap. Though the Iceman dice is really cool.

edit: because Android keyboard autocorrect

Karkador

Banned
They might be a buck each but after spending about $15.00 on boosters and get one dice of each character I would rather spend said $5.00 and get bunch of of dices with set of characters that are useful. But this is Wizards so... Also the quality of their products still terrible. Dice have weird paint job and fading and feel cheap. Though the Iceman dice is really cool.

Singles for DM tend to not be expensive if you're just going for Commons/Uncommons, and they always tend to include the dice.

Singles for DM tend to not be expensive if you're just going for Commons/Uncommons, and they always tend to include the dice.

Yes, I should have known better and gone that route but it's always fun opening pack. Also I wasn't sure if I want to invest so much more into the game so I figure pick up few boosters to see if it make the game better. I just look on eBay and the old Starter set are still pretty expensive.

Miniature Market just email me that they will send out the rest of my order. They do have nice and quick customer service.

Experien

I think part of the problem was they send part of the order that were in stock and was holding the pre-order but Conquest and Rebel Aces came out before the Outrider and Decimator but they were holding them and just simply confuse about what already send. I hope I don't have to fight with them about what I already receive but I will probably not pre-order anything from them again.

On another note, buying WizKids Dice Masters make me remember how much I hate their blind packs. I got them because they were a buck each and well I can't help it when I see games. Frankly I didn't really enjoy the game much playing with just starter pack but seeing just how random of the dice you get I am not sure how I can have a tournament game without buying crap tons of them.

That's why they sell them by the huge case!

So I opened my Sheriff of Nottingham...was it supposed to come with promo cards? The instructions list directions for them but I did not see a single one :(

fenners

Sounds sweet, wish I had someone to get in on the Heroscape with (and that i had heroscape outside of Marvel), I guess Heroclix is pretty easy?

The way I play it with my kids, it's easy ;) No idea about the real game with powers etc. We just use the dial values + two dice for combat attacks. That's as complicated as it needs to be with 8 & 6 year olds.

The youngest spied Heroscape Marvel in the catalogue that came with the swarmo set I traded for. Of course he fell in love with the idea of battling with Hulk etc. /Sigh/. :)

Blizzard

Banned
I picked up Resistance: Coup today blindly, since the box tells virtually nothing about the game other than it is apparently set in the Resistance universe. I've played a good bit of Resistance in a game night group, and they're finally having another game night this weekend.

I read through the Coup rules today, and it actually sounds like a simple, fast (15 minutes) game that should be perfect for a few rounds with a 6-player group. I'm looking forward to trying it!

Palmer_v1

I picked up Resistance: Coup today blindly, since the box tells virtually nothing about the game other than it is apparently set in the Resistance universe. I've played a good bit of Resistance in a game night group, and they're finally having another game night this weekend.

I read through the Coup rules today, and it actually sounds like a simple, fast (15 minutes) game that should be perfect for a few rounds with a 6-player group. I'm looking forward to trying it!

I wasn't a big fan of the base game of Coup, but the small expansion that came out for it changes it for the better!

Blizzard

Banned
I wasn't a big fan of the base game of Coup, but the small expansion that came out for it changes it for the better!
The Amazon reviews seem great even for the original. I hope my group will like it. Thanks for the tip about the expansion though! I just ordered it as well, but I still plan to try the base game first before making things a little more complex.

Phthisis

First plays tonight of Oddball Aeronauts, Impulse, and Lagoon.

They all left a pretty meh impression on me. I'd say I liked Impulse the best, but Innovation is a much better game, IMO.

EYEL1NER

I know a couple people ITT expressed disappointment that they missed out on R (the original version of BraveRats, hyped as Love Letter for Two). It's in stock on the BGG Store right now, go go go! I am holding back from purchasing a second copy, despite wanting one to leave unopened and untouched. I understand that there is a lot of demand for it and will let other people get a shot at buying before I get a second copy.

A lot of people talking about Colt Express in here too... They have a Colt Express playmat in the store (possibly printed on paper). Just a heads up.

UncleO

Bought Dungeon Roll and FINALLY got my hands on Marvel Dice Masters.

Dungeon Roll's rule book was confusing for some reason. Thankfully "Watch it Played" made a great video and we were up and rolling in no time.

I have been bitten by the Dice Maters bug, I Want more more more boosters.

UncleO

I was impressed with the simplicity of Coup we enjoyed it very much.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So Stooge, is there any ETA for String Safari? I really wanna play that game.

We approved a proof of it a while ago. So, it's in production and then will hit the water, so sometime early next year? I'd have to look at the release doc to see the scheduled date. It's a fun game, especially for families I think. I've had fun with adults with it too mind you, but kids have really liked it.

Diamonsters is sitting in the port of LA along with pretty much every other companies games. I think we have X-Files, Machi Koro Harbor (ironic!) and Diamonsters just stuck there at the moment.

Slow Work Strike thing.

Coup talk reminded me of a game I played during Thanksgiving.Cockroach Poker

So the deck is comprised of 8 different pests (cockroach, fly, rat,etc.) each pest has 8 cards associated with that pest. The object of the game is not to be the first person to have four of the same cards in front of you. The way the game works is you distribute the entire deck among players. The first player slides a card face down to another player and says a suit. They can be telling the truth or lie about it. For example, I slide a cockroach card to a player and I say, "It's a fly.". The player I send the card to has the option to either agree or disagree with my statement or peek at the card and pass it to someone else either confirming that the card is a fly or naming some other card. The last person to get the card has to make a call. If the person decides to call "Yes it is a fly or no it isn't" flips the card over. If their call was correct they give the card back to the sender who keeps it face up in front of them. If they were wrong they have to keep the card. Play goes like this until one person has four of the same card face up in front of them, they lose and everyone else wins.

Coup gets all the love, but I think Cockroach Poker is a more interesting game. Bluffing is a huge part of the game and having the ability to pass cards along either lying some more or telling the truth really adds to the bluff.

parasight

Coup talk reminded me of a game I played during Thanksgiving.Cockroach Poker

So the deck is comprised of 8 different pests (cockroach, fly, rat,etc.) each pest has 8 cards associated with that pest. The object of the game is not to be the first person to have four of the same cards in front of you. The way the game works is you distribute the entire deck among players. The first player slides a card face down to another player and says a suit. They can be telling the truth or lie about it. For example, I slide a cockroach card to a player and I say, "It's a fly.". The player I send the card to has the option to either agree or disagree with my statement or peek at the card and pass it to someone else either confirming that the card is a fly or naming some other card. The last person to get the card has to make a call. If the person decides to call "Yes it is a fly or no it isn't" flips the card over. If their call was correct they give the card back to the sender who keeps it face up in front of them. If they were wrong they have to keep the card. Play goes like this until one person has four of the same card face up in front of them, they lose and everyone else wins.

Coup gets all the love, but I think Cockroach Poker is a more interesting game. Bluffing is a huge part of the game and having the ability to pass cards along either lying some more or telling the truth really adds to the bluff.

Cockroach Poker is great. Definitely the best one of that line of games. I do think it can coexist with Coup though as they are still different enough. I would have said I liked Cockroach Poker better but after Reformation came out, I definitely give the edge to Coup.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh man, I went really wild with the Black Friday stuff. Oh man. Getting games in I forgot I ordered, as if I got them in a drunken stupor. Bonus is I didn't remember I ordered Lords of Xidit but reading reviews yesterday made it seem like really my kind of game -- turns out I did order it. :p

Oh man, I went really wild with the Black Friday stuff. Oh man. Getting games in I forgot I ordered, as if I got them in a drunken stupor. Bonus is I didn't remember I ordered Lords of Xidit but reading reviews yesterday made it seem like really my kind of game -- turns out I did order it. :p

Tell me about it, turns out I ordered Haggis twice. No regrets though, great game.

blurrygil

Card Kingdom is having a great sale this weekend, so I went over there yesterday and picked up Hive Pocket and Patchistory, knowing nothing about it other than that it looks cool on the table and I like empire-building games. Curious to see how it plays; there's a lot of wood and cardboard in that box.

So I missed out on the initial deals, but those are carrying on thru the weekend.

ANNNNNNNNNND the new Mox Boarding House opens this Saturday!!! :D

28559bellevueMox-1.jpg

The Amazon reviews seem great even for the original. I hope my group will like it. Thanks for the tip about the expansion though! I just ordered it as well, but I still plan to try the base game first before making things a little more complex.

It's a quick, solid and very fundamental bluffing game. I've enjoyed it and it's expansion.

Dungeon Roll's rule book was confusing for some reason. Thankfully "Watch it Played" made a great video and we were up and rolling in no time.

Dungeon Roll has some weird rules which can be tricky to catch on to. But in the end, it's a SUPER simple and enjoyable game. Another great little gateway dice game, imo. I have the KS version along with all of the promos and expansions.

I have been bitten by the Dice Maters bug, I Want more more more boosters.

Godspeed, my friend. I've been there. When you start hunting for hobby boxes to sort your collection, you then start to realize how truly bad it can get, lol.

I missed out/stepped aside from the BF madness of tabletop. I have SO much stuff I still need to even just open up, then learn, likely paint, and get to the table for my groups. I just don't have time to commit to so many games--much like my video game habits, lol.

Cockroach Poker is great. Definitely the best one of that line of games. I do think it can coexist with Coup though as they are still different enough. I would have said I liked Cockroach Poker better but after Reformation came out, I definitely give the edge to Coup.
I still got to try Reformation. The expansion is just a couple of cards, right?
Tell me about it, turns out I ordered Haggis twice. No regrets though, great game.
Have you played Chimera? It only plays three, but man is it good. It's a ladder climbing game like Haggis but there is a two against one thing going on in Chimera. If you like Haggis, Chimera is worth a look.

Neverfade

In a store bought copy you'll get a bunch of shit, but to play reformation you don't need any new cards -- just something double sided, one per player to denote team, and a small cup/container to put coins in. That's it.

Then you can Youtube a review for how it all works.

Blizzard

Banned

Have you played Chimera? It only plays three, but man is it good. It's a ladder climbing game like Haggis but there is a two against one thing going on in Chimera. If you like Haggis, Chimera is worth a look.
I don't have it yet, but my understanding is that Reformation includes a replacement for the Ambassador (the "Inquisitor"), a bunch of extra cards so you can play up to 10 players (which is a big bonus for me), and the team marker stuff.

Xater

I don't have it yet, but my understanding is that Reformation includes a replacement for the Ambassador (the "Inquisitor"), a bunch of extra cards so you can play up to 10 players (which is a big bonus for me), and the team marker stuff.

Yep that#s exactly it, but if you have the Kickstarter version of Coup you already own everything except the markers, so for those people the expansion is not a great value.

Top Bottom