• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

blurrygil

Cardhaus has the best deals as always. I was checking out on cardhaus and all my games were gone :(. I was checking out an order with Colt Express on CSI, then BOOM, gone too. Ahrg, f these sales.

Placed an order with medina, sun tzu and patchistory on CSI. I wanted that Colt Express so bad :(

Cardhaus sale was insane, they had game that just released on sale, like La Isla, Medina, PG Deluxe, Roll through the ages: The iron age, etc.

Cardhaus:

Arcadia Quest @ $55 ($99 MSRP)...wow!!
Netrunner Base @ $19
Betrayal/House @ $30
King of NY @ $25
X-Wing Minis Expansions @ 1/2 off
Suburbia @ $34
Zombicide @ $56

So much sold out, already, lol.

MM's sale is not bad too:

TI3 for $45!
Game of Thrones TBG $30
The Resistance $10
Africana $16 (any good...?)
Sentinels of the Multiverse $20 (!)
Eclipse $50
Legendary: Marvel $36
Krosmaster Packs $13
All Dominion stuff @ 1/2 off
Lots of Dust Tactics stuff (Core Set @ $42!)
AIRLINES EUROPE @ $30!!! *Edit Out of Stock ;_;
Crimson Skies Packs @ $3, tops
Tons of Heroclix booster boxes

That was just a quick run thru their sale pages.

I stopped buying from MM unless they are the only ones with stock. I usually don't mind ding and dents and even buy dented games to save a few bucks, but MM packaging is terrible and I've received many games simply wasted. Cardhaus and CSI are awesome in that regard.

CSI has a couple of good deals, Patchistory for 35.99, subdivision for 24.99.

Cardhaus has Francis Drake for 49.99, Airlines for 30.99, Betrayal 29.99. CH had Asgard for 5.99, how low can that game go? looks good but the artwork is terrible.

I'm still super bitter for missing most of my items on the cardhaus sale, I was stuck at a UPS store.

blurrygil

I stopped buying from MM unless they are the only ones with stock. I usually don't mind ding and dents and even buy dented games to save a few bucks, but MM packaging is terrible and I've received many games simply wasted. Cardhaus and CSI are awesome in that regard.

Ah, sorry to hear!

Neverfade

After teetering at the brink for many months, I'm finally at the top savings tier at CSI! I've officially spent too much on gaming!

Saw Colt Express was being stocked today so last night I ordered:

The Witcher: As a resident FFG apologist I'll bite the bullet.
Temporum: I know very little about this, and with my utter loathing of some of Vaccarino's later titles this is the biggest risk, but hey -- seems to be a theme with this order.
Greed: Bought this on a daily sale last week. Not sure if I need another drafting game or not. We'll see.
C3K (Cyclades/Kemet Monster crossover Xpack): Love both of these games. Was hard to get for a while had to buy and hold for shipping last week as well.
Bruges: City on the Zwin: Bruges is awesome. And its light and easy enough that a 5th player will be welcome. The other modules are icing.
Colt Express: Looks to solve my problems with RoboRally.

I've really been rounding out my collection with lighter games that play up up to 6, sometimes more and its helped. There for a while game night was almost turning into "Stare at all these awesome epics that we don't have time to play tonight". I should still try to get my 2014 play of Twilight Imperium in before the year is over though...hmm..

blurrygil

UGH!!! Missed out on the SotM Playmat for $24. :(

Edit: Nice pickups, Fade.

Man...Colt Express. I've been hunting for that. Hell...I'm JUST now playing Dice Masters, lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I bought from CSI & MM (in addition to my CSI from a couple days ago :p), including a couple Christmas presents. Netrunner base at $20 (available on several sites) is incredible. Hope it keeps pumping new folks into the playerbase.

Neverfade

I bought from CSI & MM (in addition to my CSI from a couple days ago :p), including a couple Christmas presents. Netrunner base at $20 (available on several sites) is incredible. Hope it keeps pumping new folks into the playerbase.

Was there ever a clarification as to how the new rotation would effect things like the core set as far as availability?

Xater

People here liking and picking up Colt Express warms my heart. Ever since i bought it in Essen it get quite some play. It's a great game.

EYEL1NER

I played it once a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was okay, but extremely fiddly. Only played a two player game, but felt like almost half of the game was spent on upkeep. The theme is definitely unique, but the gameplay wasn't anything to write home about. I doubt I'll ever want to play it, unless my group really wants to.
If I remember correctly, you are one of the people ITT who likes Sentinals of the Multiverse, no? How diddly is it in comparison to that?

I couldn't get anywhere with the sales today. I really wanted Boots on the Ground from MM but wasn't able to do anything on their site. I could see that one staying available though, so maybe I'll have my chance in a couple days to snag it and a couple other things.

EYEL1NER

Got me confused with someone else. I've never played Sentinels. I'm pretty Euro-centric in my gaming preferences.
Hmmm, well okay then. Don't know who that could have been. I also don't know what I could ask you to compare it to because I am not that Euro-centric with my tastes. I own Castles of Burgundy, Bora Bora, Puerto Rico, but have yet to play any of them.
I did read one review on BGG that said the same thing as you though, that there was a lot of time spent in upkeep and it felt very fiddly. I suppose I'll see how it plays when I get home, though my copy of King of New York was in that order and will take priority.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
People here liking and picking up Colt Express warms my heart. Ever since i bought it in Essen it get quite some play. It's a great game.

It's kind of funny but I'm already dying for an expansion to add more characters, items and events. :p So much potential in that core gameplay.

Duress

I'm debating if I should get season 1 and 2 of Zombicide. I'm hesitant, because I'm not sure if they'll raise the price back to msrp after November.

fenners

I'm debating if I should get season 1 and 2 of Zombicide. I'm hesitant, because I'm not sure if they'll raise the price back to msrp after November.

Just get season 1 at first.

It's not a price thing, it's a game thing. There's a ton of game in just the base box, more than enough, and Toxic Mall/Prison Outbreak add complexity in rules & ambiguity in mission design that you don't need. Base is plenty.

daevv

I picked up Sheriff of Nottingham at Cardhaus. Even with shipping and conversion to Canadian dollars it was cheaper than anywhere up here.

Duress

Just get season 1 at first.

It's not a price thing, it's a game thing. There's a ton of game in just the base box, more than enough, and Toxic Mall/Prison Outbreak add complexity in rules & ambiguity in mission design that you don't need. Base is plenty.

Thanks for the info!

Mista Koo

I think I missed the good sales. Caverna for $64.99 sounds good but I don't think I have a group to play it with anytime soon, also my current group has a copy already.

parasight

I picked up Sheriff of Nottingham at Cardhaus. Even with shipping and conversion to Canadian dollars it was cheaper than anywhere up here.

401 has it for $30. That's cheaper when you consider shipping/conversion or at least close to the same. I wish 401 would do a Black Friday thing, but they rarely have sales.

zulux21

Cardhaus has the best deals as always. I was checking out on cardhaus and all my games were gone :(. I was checking out an order with Colt Express on CSI, then BOOM, gone too. Ahrg, f these sales.

Placed an order with medina, sun tzu and patchistory on CSI. I wanted that Colt Express so bad :(

Cardhaus sale was insane, they had game that just released on sale, like La Isla, Medina, PG Deluxe, Roll through the ages: The iron age, etc.

yup they were the only one that I managed to get enough stuff for free shipping.

I ended up getting
- 1x Asgard, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $5.99
- 1x Eldritch Horror, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $28.99
- 1x Legendary: Guardians of the Galaxy, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $12.25
- 1x Love Letter Boxed Edition, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $4.99
- 1x Smash Up: Awesome Level 9000, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $8.99
- 1x Smash Up: Science Fiction Double Feature, Board Games
- 1x Smash Up: The Obligatory Cthulhu Set, Board Games
- 1x Winter Tales, Board Games
Condition: Brand New, $26.99

I had the last smash up expansion in my cart as well but it was gone by the time I checked out. I also wasn't fast enough for Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game :(

zulux21

Nice haul, Asgard is one of those games that look fun but the artwork is just so baaaaaaaad.

at $6 I figured I would give it a try.
same with $5 for love letter since I have heard good things...
the only somewhat risky buy for me in that order is Winter Tales... but in general I have a good time with story telling games so I mostly blind bought that one.

Krelian

Do you recommend just going straight for the full experience or starting out with the base game only and then adding the expansions later?
I think it's alright to add Galactic Orders right away. There are some replacement cards included and the game feels more complete with the expansion. For example, cards of the main game already feature icons for the expansion but had no use without it.

Still haven't tried the second expansion though.

Lyng

I think it's alright to add Galactic Orders right away. There are some replacement cards included and the game feels more complete with the expansion. For example, cards of the main game already feature icons for the expansion but had no use without it.

Okay. Ill try tossing it all in right away.
Will return with feedback on Revolution aswell

Nelo Ice

Banned
So got a bit into board gaming recently with my friends while I'm here in Florida and it's so much damn fun. Won my first game ever of Settlers of Catan with 4 players. Also played Ticket to Ride, which I placed last out of 4 and Say Anything. Anyway there's some sales going on and I ordered Kings of Tokyo off Amazon for $20 and looks like Catan is on sale for about $22 at B&N. Will probably get Catan too but if I get an expansion which one should I get?

Kings of Tokyo
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U5R5BI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Catan
http://slickdeals.net/f/7447052-bar...f-catan-board-game-and-expansions-on-sale?v=1

So got a bit into board gaming recently with my friends while I'm here in Florida and it's so much damn fun. Won my first game ever of Settlers of Catan with 4 players. Also played Ticket to Ride, which I placed last out of 4 and Say Anything. Anyway there's some sales going on and I ordered Kings of Tokyo off Amazon for $20 and looks like Catan is on sale for about $22 at B&N. Will probably get Catan too but if I get an expansion which one should I get?

Kings of Tokyo
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U5R5BI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Catan
http://slickdeals.net/f/7447052-bar...f-catan-board-game-and-expansions-on-sale?v=1
Seafarers is an easy include. It doesn't add too many new rules but gives you more stuff. My personal favorite is Cities and Knights, though. It adds the ability to upgrade cities and there is a pseudo co-op thing going where people need to work together to fend off invading barbarians. The only downside is it makes the game longer.

Phthisis

Card Kingdom is having a great sale this weekend, so I went over there yesterday and picked up Hive Pocket and Patchistory, knowing nothing about it other than that it looks cool on the table and I like empire-building games. Curious to see how it plays; there's a lot of wood and cardboard in that box.

Karkador

Banned
Card Kingdom is having a great sale this weekend, so I went over there yesterday and picked up Hive Pocket and Patchistory, knowing nothing about it other than that it looks cool on the table and I like empire-building games. Curious to see how it plays; there's a lot of wood and cardboard in that box.

I like Civ-style empire games, too, but I'm typically put off by the length of them, or there's a certain point where the over complexity of the design feels like I should just go play a Civ videogame instead.

Patchistory can be a long-ish game, like 3 hours or more, if you play with 4 players and stumble through the rules, but you can probably get it down to 2~ if you keep it moving.

I've played Patchistory a couple of times now, and I think what's really cool about it is that it's different. It's not just trying to imitate Sid Meier games, it combines some different ideas in pretty interesting ways.

The way you grow your civ out spacially, like a tapestry; the way you have to start thinking about what you're going to give up along the way (because you always have to patch something out); the way you interact with each other by building trade routes (which might lead to war), and voting on bonus points.

I have to warn you that it can feel a little weird and convoluted if you're just getting into it, but if you get the game rules down and explain it well, it's a game that you just can't get in videogame form.

Haven't board gamed in a long time, but the November clearance sale at The Cult of the New sucked me back in. Picked up Asgard, Black Gold, Catan Explorers and Pirates expansion, Last Will and Grimoire. Looking forward to digging in over the holidays. Anybody here play any of these?

Phthisis

I like Civ-style empire games, too, but I'm typically put off by the length of them, or there's a certain point where the over complexity of the design feels like I should just go play a Civ videogame instead.

Patchistory can be a long-ish game, like 3 hours or more, if you play with 4 players and stumble through the rules, but you can probably get it down to 2~ if you keep it moving.

I've played Patchistory a couple of times now, and I think what's really cool about it is that it's different. It's not just trying to imitate Sid Meier games, it combines some different ideas in pretty interesting ways.

The way you grow your civ out spacially, like a tapestry; the way you have to start thinking about what you're going to give up along the way (because you always have to patch something out); the way you interact with each other by building trade routes (which might lead to war), and voting on bonus points.

I have to warn you that it can feel a little weird and convoluted if you're just getting into it, but if you get the game rules down and explain it well, it's a game that you just can't get in videogame form.

Sounds awesome. Shouldn't be too tough to learn the rules. I play a lot of large-scale wargames with lots of rules, so this looks tame by comparison. Thanks for the info! The tapestry-building aspect is what really drew me in at first glance, honestly.

Haven't board gamed in a long time, but the November clearance sale at The Cult of the New sucked me back in. Picked up Asgard, Black Gold, Catan Explorers and Pirates expansion, Last Will and Grimoire. Looking forward to digging in over the holidays. Anybody here play any of these?
I was so-so on Black Gold. It's not a bad game it was just something that didn't do anything for me.

Last Will is fantastic though, so good pick up. It's one of my favorite games and one I will play at the drop of a hat if asked. The expansion is fun too and not too hard to integrate even in your first few games.

Neverfade

Played Colt Express tonight.

I enjoyed it, although i felt it needed to be a round longer and the train a car shorter than the rules indicate.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played Colt Express tonight.

I enjoyed it, although i felt it needed to be a round longer and the train a car shorter than the rules indicate.

I played it about five times at the Con and only once misplayed with one fewer car and I definitely enjoyed that game. Might unbalance some of the characters a bit, but the game isn't exactly tournament balanced anyway. Think -1 cars might be a good way to go.

Neverfade

Thoughts on character powers?

I think Belle might need a slight nerf.

Doc might could use a slight buff.

Django's is an odd beast. The power doesn't benefit the Django player very much but it can wreck the player on the receiving end's entire round.

Ghost and Tuco seem to be on point.

I go back and forth on Cheyenne's. I think it'd be just right if there were 2 punch cards in the deck. As is, I think it's all over the map depending on the situation.

fenners

Post-BGG.Con gaming day on Friday at a friend's. More Machi Koro, Panamax & Terra Mystica.

The more I play Panamax, the less enamoured I become. With just 12 actions, there's no room for slack, and it seems you need to be heavily dependent on other people shipping your dice to do well; in both games I played (and 2 other games by people on the table) the winner was heavily moved along or shared lots of ships etc. I had one horrible action choice mid game in this one & hosed myself from there on out. Meh.

Terra Mystica's as good as always. First play in 18 months or so, but it still stands out as a n excellent game in the mold of too many choices, too few actions. See Panamax for doing it badly ;)

Today, my kids were bugging me to "play some games with us!" so who am I to refuse? They wanted a re-match at Heroscape, so I threw together a map & told them to co-op against me as a 'big baddie'. Youngest got knocked out first & got stroppy, so I swapped & let him take over the baddy role. He won. ;)

Next up, he brought out the shoe-box of Heroclix figures I brought home from BGG.Con. Haven't read the rules, no idea how to play, and they're never going to do the whole experience at just 6 & 8. So put down a map, we each picked two good looking characters & ran simple rules. They had a blast, especially when I got knocked out first.

I can see more heroscape/heroclix in our future, for sure...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Learned Witcher through the app. Yikes. I guess if you think LoW or Talisman are too deep and have too many interesting decisions?

Thoughts on character powers?

I think Belle might need a slight nerf.

Doc might could use a slight buff.

Django's is an odd beast. The power doesn't benefit the Django player very much but it can wreck the player on the receiving end's entire round.

Ghost and Tuco seem to be on point.

I go back and forth on Cheyenne's. I think it'd be just right if there were 2 punch cards in the deck. As is, I think it's all over the map depending on the situation.
Belle has an ability you can reliably count on (especially in the house-rule version), although I've found that the game is so random that worrying about character powers probably isn't too big a deal. I had Cheyenne my first game and didn't draw a punch until the very last round but still won somehow. :p I do feel like she should be able to punch & steal any item, not just the loot bags.

If you play with the "expert" variant you're more guaranteed to get the right amount of punch draws, but I kind of like the total randomness of the normal rules round to round.

All the Catan games are 25% off at Barns & Noble plus you can use the promo coupon and member ship. I only play the base Catan, how is the Catan card game (Rival)? and any of the expansion worth picking up?

Lyng

First game last night. Jumped straight in with the whole package (both expansions and pregame draft)
What a fantastic game! This is deckbuilding done right.
Suprisingly enough it is also quiet thematic.
I was initially worried the Heroic tactics cards might feel useless, but they actually force you to plan the best time to deploy a hero.
My wife hates Dominion and she was certain she would not like Core Worlds. Suprisinly enough she absolutely loved it.
And as a two player game it doesnt overstay its welcome. I cannot, however, imagine playing this game with 4 or 5 players.

hort

Neo Member
Ended up with a decent haul from black friday sales at a couple of my local game shops.

In total I got:

The Witcher Adventure Game
Eldritch Horror
Elder Sign: Unseen Forces
Pandemic: The Cure

plus a few games as gifts for other people.

Anyone have any experience with Robot Turtles? I got it for my 8 year old niece and was wondering how well it played? I plan on trying a few games of it with her over the holidays and want to know what to expect.

Experien

Post-BGG.Con gaming day on Friday at a friend's. More Machi Koro, Panamax & Terra Mystica.

The more I play Panamax, the less enamoured I become. With just 12 actions, there's no room for slack, and it seems you need to be heavily dependent on other people shipping your dice to do well; in both games I played (and 2 other games by people on the table) the winner was heavily moved along or shared lots of ships etc. I had one horrible action choice mid game in this one & hosed myself from there on out. Meh.

Terra Mystica's as good as always. First play in 18 months or so, but it still stands out as a n excellent game in the mold of too many choices, too few actions. See Panamax for doing it badly ;)

Today, my kids were bugging me to "play some games with us!" so who am I to refuse? They wanted a re-match at Heroscape, so I threw together a map & told them to co-op against me as a 'big baddie'. Youngest got knocked out first & got stroppy, so I swapped & let him take over the baddy role. He won. ;)

Next up, he brought out the shoe-box of Heroclix figures I brought home from BGG.Con. Haven't read the rules, no idea how to play, and they're never going to do the whole experience at just 6 & 8. So put down a map, we each picked two good looking characters & ran simple rules. They had a blast, especially when I got knocked out first.

I can see more heroscape/heroclix in our future, for sure...

Sounds sweet, wish I had someone to get in on the Heroscape with (and that i had heroscape outside of Marvel), I guess Heroclix is pretty easy?

Top Bottom