• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Lyng

I really dont understand why Dice Tower come down so hard on Eclipse. Even though I must admit I have never played it, it just seems brilliant. Especially the way your economy works is brilliant and simple at the same time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So inserthere (pre-made foamcore storage for games) is super expensive but definitely legit. I will buy it for my absolute top games whose inserts I hate.

I really dont understand why Dice Tower come down so hard on Eclipse. Even though I must admit I have never played it, it just seems brilliant. Especially the way your economy works is brilliant and simple at the same time.

I think it just comes down to it's not Ameritrashy enough for Tom. He is more one to play Twilight Imperium.

Lyng

I think it just comes down to it's not Ameritrashy enough for Tom. He is more one to play Twilight Imperium.

Yeah your probably right. I guess it also depends on what really attracts one to a game. For me I love engines and smart mechanics. Right now I am looking to get Terra Mystica. The main thing that attracts me is, much like eclipse, the way economy works.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah your probably right. I guess it also depends on what really attracts one to a game. For me I love engines and smart mechanics. Right now I am looking to get Terra Mystica. The main thing that attracts me is, much like eclipse, the way economy works.

I love Eclipse. Just wish it played in half the time and I might actually play it more often than once a year. :/

Karkador

Banned
I've never played Eclipse (I might try it under the right circumstances), but it does look like a really busy mass of unapologetic programmer art and cubes.

However, my reaction to Eclipse is probably the same reaction people have to looking at Race for the Galaxy, and I think that's a good game. That's a short game, though.

Lyng

I've never played Eclipse (I might try it under the right circumstances), but it does look like a really busy mass of unapologetic programmer art and cubes.

However, my reaction to Eclipse is probably the same reaction people have to looking at Race for the Galaxy, and I think that's a good game. That's a short game, though.

The thing about Race is that the icons actually makes sense once you learn them.
For example, it makes good sense that a card in a hand means you get to draw a card.
Even still the learning curve is steep, since you do need to learn all the icons before they make sense.

fenners

The thing about Race is that the icons actually makes sense once you learn them.
For example, it makes good sense that a card in a hand means you get to draw a card.
Even still the learning curve is steep, since you do need to learn all the icons before they make sense.

Eclipse's iconography is much the same though - once you get past the learning curve, it's really straightforward to figure out tiles & ship build-outs etc.

Race is one of my all time favourite games. Really happy that a few of the lunchtime crew at work are getting into it, it's great to play it again.

Mista Koo

Yep, the mechanics are very elegant and logical. Very euro-like.

Eclipse's iconography is much the same though - once you get past the learning curve, it's really straightforward to figure out tiles & ship build-outs etc.

Race is one of my all time favourite games. Really happy that a few of the lunchtime crew at work are getting into it, it's great to play it again.
The thing is RFTG has circle colors, circle border colors and circle glow colors. Eclipse has nothing as stupid as that.

Lyng

Yeah I cannot argue with that. Like I said I really am attracted to Eclipse. I mainly only play with my wife though, and the fact that there is dice combat in the game made Eclipse a complete no go for her.

Both she and I love Race though. Its our most played game, and we allways take it with us on vacations and trips.

Dragoshi1

So is there a buyer's guide to the ZOMBIES!!! board game?

There's 13 or so out, and I bought #2 at my local shop, but are there any must-have expansions?

There's 13 or so out, and I bought #2 at my local shop, but are there any must-have expansions?

Not really must haves, and also don't mix the expansions, as all it does is make the game cluttered and increases play time by too much. If you use an expansion, play it by itself or with the base set, but don't add multiple expansions in or you will regret it.

I guess I'm doomed to be the board game uncle now for Xmas...

Which game is more appropriate for 6-8 age-range kids as a gift, you'd say?

Apples to Apples, or Snake Oil?

Phinor

Imperial Assault arriving to stores this week (even today) in Finland. Now to resist paying premium, book stores will have it eventually for 15-25% less. I usually buy directly from boardgame stores but in some cases, like with 100€ MSRP Imperial Assault, I just have to wait in agony.

How are they at reading? I'd imagine the 6 year old might have some trouble reading the cards. Have you looked at Animal Upon Animal? It's an easy game to play and great for kids at a younger age. It even becomes ruthless if played with adults. Hey, That's My Fish is also a great game for kids that adults would find fun.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Grabbed Cosmic Encounter. Curious how that plays.

You should get Terra Mystica, because it is awesome.

blurrygil

I can see people digging through the poop for a hidden rare card

template.jpg

How are they at reading? I'd imagine the 6 year old might have some trouble reading the cards. Have you looked at Animal Upon Animal? It's an easy game to play and great for kids at a younger age. It even becomes ruthless if played with adults. Hey, That's My Fish is also a great game for kids that adults would find fun.

Oh wow Animal Upon Animal looks perfect for them. Thank you so much for the recommendation, as I have it on the way now.

Blizzard

Banned
So I've played one round of The Duke this past Friday. As someone who never played Chess I don't think I totally grasp the concept that I have to make sure that my king duke isn't in check after every move.
But I do really like the patterns of the different pieces and I want to make an SRPG using these mechanics.

I also played Thunderstone, which was my first deck builder (ignoring one meh Kickstarter game). I liked it. I thought I wasn't doing well but I was 3rd place (out of 6) and only a couple VPs away from the winner. I would like to try more deck builders though to compare (never even tried Dominion).

This is a bit old but I wanted to write about it for a while. During Thanksgiving I've played Eclipse with 2 guys from our group who didn't go home.
It was intimidating at first because I was the only one who never played it before and I don't necessarily prefer longer games. But I later realized that it was pretty much as complicated as Caverna in a sense where the complexity comes from the number of options and figuring out the optimal strategy rather than just playing it. I also appreciate how simple the combat is.
There was one epic fight which was pretty much the highlight of the game:

fG9T1HEl.jpg

I was white, I had more ships and I hit on 4s. The problem?

tIluTHA.jpg

Blue had way too many missiles and he goes first! I barely won with one ship and it felt awesome. It was pretty much due to this fight (and the build up to it) that the third player won and I got in 2nd place.

I won Eclipse when I played it recently, and since I was playing as the peaceful hippie aliens and I rarely win strategy games, I was happy about that. However, the game did take 3-4 hours with 3 people, and I probably wouldn't want to play it much, if again. Very stressful.

If you thought those missiles were bad, one of the people who started attacking me at the end of the game filled his entire dreadnaught with nothing but plasma missiles and the engine. That's 12 dice for a single ship if I recall correctly.

Of course I had shields or whatever, but since 6's are automatic hits, he just needed 2 6's out of those 12 dice. He cruised in, rolled 12 dice, got no 6's, and lost.

daevv

Is Mage Knight worth picking up for mostly solo play?

It's the only way I play it. Search Ricky Royal on youtube for some awesome soloing vids.

Top 5 of 2014:
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skulls and Shackles
Thunder Ally
Fire in the Lake
Doomtown Reloaded

(I have both Imperial Settlers and Sheriff of Nottingham but gave them to my wife to give me for Christmas)

Top 5 played in 2014:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords
Elder Sign
X Wing Miniatures
Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island
Lord of The Rings The Card Game

Phthisis

From last weekend. I didn't win, but dammit every time I play it's memorable. I love the way my table looks when a game takes up all the available space.

IMG_3150.jpg

Zombies 5 adds guts tokens and 6 adds sewers. The 8th expansion adds dodge rules. Those are probably my favorite rule additions, and they also add fun locations (university, sewers, and a prison). All of these rules and expansions stack really well. The 4th expansion is a stand alone based loosely on Evil Dead, the 9th is based kind of on Return of the Living dead (cemetery), and the 3rd is based around Dawn of the Dead (shopping mall).

Zombie Zoo (12) has a bunch of fun miniatures and mixes things up a bit, while Deadtime stories adds some campaign style mechanics and has various alternate rule sets.

The game is great fun. Zombicide is easily a better game, but a quick round of Zombies!! can be extremely satisfying. It's simplicity is its strength. If you string together your own narrative and combine the expansions with thought, you can create a very fun gaming night. We use it as a filler or warm up game often. It's also much more fun for younger crowds and newbies.

My daughters are ages 6&7 and their favorite games are:

Survive: Escape From Atlantis
King of Tokyo
Tapple

Tapple is excellent (and cheap). It's a great game for children to work on all sorts of critical thinking skills and be fast on their feet. You can make up your own questions for specific groups. (ie: at work we did all medical related questions and the game was a blast)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Did you pick it up during the sale I have posted? I really like that game but for some reason it does not quite click with my group.

No clue, but probably. I check the daily deals on Spiele-Offensive.de.

It was quite a bit cheaper than usual and has a great reputation, gonna check it out later this weekend. In the meantime, I tried a session of "Bali", which was a tad simple, but intriguing enough.

Merino

Is Mage Knight worth picking up for mostly solo play?
I bought it two weeks ago for solo play and have been massively enjoying it.

Great puzzle to work out and I personally really enjoy the theme.

Anyway getting massively jealous over the amazon deals today. Here in my native country I am always paying full premium on all my games. Wish intercontinental shipping would be cheaper.

Top Bottom