• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Experien

AHHH!!!!

Miniature Market says they have Imperial Assault in stock but my order won't ship cause none of the expansions are out yet so it won't ship :(

Also, Eldritch Horror expansion is available now.

Tangeroo

This is going to be an expensive day for me. I've already bought Cash & Guns, Takenoko, Zooloretto, and Splendor from today's Amazon sale. And it looks like they keep adding new games.

Mista Koo

The timing of this sale couldn't have been worse, or better. Just packed all my bags and going home tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that I missed most of the good games.

Although what's the best way to track such sales? Do they have an alert system I can subscribe to?

zulux21

The timing of this sale couldn't have been worse, or better. Just packed all my bags and going home tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad that I missed most of the good games.

Although what's the best way to track such sales? Do they have an alert system I can subscribe to?

Rss feed + board game geek hot deals section.

at least that is the best way I have found.

Merino

Just went to order it and CSI is sold out now. :-(

A few other places have it in but I wanted to use my gift card for it.
Spent 80 euro's at my FLGS for it, no regrets whatsoever.

It's kind of a slow game the way I am playing it (calmly analyzing all my options in each drawn hand of cards) but if you can spare a few hours to play on your own it's absolutely fantastic.

Not sure I would even want to play this with others as there's no player interaction. But for soloing it's the best thing I've tried so far (also have Labyrinth: War on Terror, Uwe Rosenbergh games, Arkham Horror/Elder Sign).

UncleO

I use http://camelcamelcamel.com/ it is an Amazon Price tracker, you can input anything and it will send you an alert in your email when the product you want hits a certain price point.

Chairhome

I'm really tempted to pick up Imperial Assault. Any gaffers have good impressions of it yet? Also looking at the Marvel Deck Building game, Legendary.

whynotboth.gif??

Lyng

Man delays when your waiting for a boardgame is the worst! Really hope Terra Mystica is in my mail when I come home today.
Cant wait to get this to the table.

joelseph

I'm really tempted to pick up Imperial Assault. Any gaffers have good impressions of it yet? Also looking at the Marvel Deck Building game, Legendary.

whynotboth.gif??

No reason to not own Marvel Legendary, it's a really really good game system. All of that era of Superhero card games turned out decent; Marvel, DC and Sentinels.

whynotboth.gif??

On the way with IA, but looking over the rules of IA, it's essentially a variation of Descent 2nd Edition. The one neat aspect is the versus mode which works as a kind of objective based miniature war game. Versus mode will let you buy figure expansions and build a force and customize em just like you can in X-Wing miniature game.

Chairhome

No reason to not own Marvel Legendary, it's a really really good game system. All of that era of Superhero card games turned out decent; Marvel, DC and Sentinels.

On the way with IA, but looking over the rules of IA, it's essentially a variation of Descent 2nd Edition. The one neat aspect is the versus mode which works as a kind of objective based miniature war game. Versus mode will let you buy figure expansions and build a force and customize em just like you can in X-Wing miniature game.

Damn it, I just bought both. haha. I'm not too experienced with war games, but I like the source material and it looks pretty straightforward.

Damn it, I just bought both. haha. I'm not too experienced with war games, but I like the source material and it looks pretty straightforward.

Well the wargame like mode is just optional. It's basically two games in one. Dungeon crawler like board game based on Descent, or a versus mini game.

Chairhome

Well the wargame like mode is just optional. It's basically two games in one. Dungeon crawler like board game based on Descent, or a versus mini game.

Cool. I haven't played descent, and the last dungeon crawler like game i played was Hero Quest in the 90s. haha. But I'll adapt, I saw a few vids and I think it'll be fun. Thanks.

Sounds awesome, thanks!

The best part about camelcamelcamel is that you can see the price trends of the products and can use that to set your price alert. The lowest prices obviously occur during sales and therefore do not happen frequently, but at least you can get a sense of what the game usually goes for and not "overpay."

The only thing I wish they incorporated was showing whether the 3rd party prices are Prime eligible.

Var

Spent 80 euro's at my FLGS for it, no regrets whatsoever.

It's kind of a slow game the way I am playing it (calmly analyzing all my options in each drawn hand of cards) but if you can spare a few hours to play on your own it's absolutely fantastic.

Not sure I would even want to play this with others as there's no player interaction. But for soloing it's the best thing I've tried so far (also have Labyrinth: War on Terror, Uwe Rosenbergh games, Arkham Horror/Elder Sign).

I might cave and buy it off Amazon then. Just ordered Letters from Whitechapel and Pandemic the Cure from coolstuffinc.

Edit: Also grabbed Ticket to Ride 10th Anniversary for the gf. I wish she had asked for it while it was on sale. :-(

Phinor

Pandemic The Cure is sub 30 bucks with free shipping at Amazon as of this posting.

Prettyy dank deal.

That's an amazing deal and I'd buy it instantly if it wasn't for the shipping to Europe. Total cost with cheapest delivery option comes to $64.

I wish we had great deals like that on this side of the ocean. That's one of those games I'm looking to buy when a) any stock becomes available and b) it costs less than 50 damn euros for a relatively simple dice game. Also been after a fairly priced copy of On the Brink for few months now, almost no stock anywhere (at least in places where, again, it's priced reasonably).

fenners

My Zombicide Rue Morgue arrived :) I'd told my wife to hide it until Christmas but she couldn't be bothered. Woohoo! :)

Reading over the manual, I'm kinda digging the changes. I like the randomy spawn changes idea, and the tile design is far clearer as to what's inside/outside & hallway vs building, going by the manual pictures at least. Each mission in it has a simple block diagram showing tile layout too.

One weird thing to note - it's billed as playable as a stand-alone, but there's *only* skinner/crawler zombies in the box. No grey basics.

My Zombicide Rue Morgue arrived :) I'd told my wife to hide it until Christmas but she couldn't be bothered. Woohoo! :)

Reading over the manual, I'm kinda digging the changes. I like the randomy spawn changes idea, and the tile design is far clearer as to what's inside/outside & hallway vs building, going by the manual pictures at least. Each mission in it has a simple block diagram showing tile layout too.

One weird thing to note - it's billed as playable as a stand-alone, but there's *only* skinner/crawler zombies in the box. No grey basics.

Well, it says you can play it solo but it doesn't say anything about it being easy :p

Good to hear that this expansion is in the wild. I may need to update my Xmas list ;)

EYEL1NER

My Rue Morgue arrived yesterday I guess; I was only able to get it from the apartment office today. I received the shipping email with tracking number yesterday AFTER it had been delivered. I still haven't played my copy of Prison Outbreak though and haven't found a good enough deal on Season One to but it yet. I think CMoN is shipping all of the stretch goals and Angry Neighbors at a later date, so this is a Kickstarter that is maybe 35% or 40% fulfilled at this point? Better so far than the Resistance sequels KS, which I assumed would have been on time.

fenners

My Rue Morgue arrived yesterday I guess; I was only able to get it from the apartment office today. I received the shipping email with tracking number yesterday AFTER it had been delivered. I still haven't played my copy of Prison Outbreak though and haven't found a good enough deal on Season One to but it yet. I think CMoN is shipping all of the stretch goals and Angry Neighbors at a later date, so this is a Kickstarter that is maybe 35% or 40% fulfilled at this point? Better so far than the Resistance sequels KS, which I assumed would have been on time.

This is /just/ the box for Rue Morgue, none of the extras/rewards or Angry Neighbours; the original plan was for one shipment (just like the rest of the world) but they were running out of warehouse space lol. So they shipped what they had of Rue Morgue to some of the US backers (not all!).

EYEL1NER

This is /just/ the box for Rue Morgue, none of the extras/rewards or Angry Neighbours; the original plan was for one shipment (just like the rest of the world) but they were running out of warehouse space lol. So they shipped what they had of Rue Morgue to some of the US backers (not all!).
Oh, I know. Just saying that partially fulfilled so far is better than one of the games I backed that missed its December estimate and slipped to spring or another that was due last month and is shipping to the US last in a couple weeks. Out of 7 projects, Yomi was on time and this looks to be on track to potentially be on time for some people (those in the first wave). So not bad on CMoN I guess.

Anyone here pre-order Dead of Winter and receive theres yet? I've been in contact with Plaid Hat and they told me that it should be here on time for Christmas, but I was reading on boardgamegeek today that somebody posted on there they they just got theres.

Neverfade

BattleMonkey alert: You seem to have your finger on the pulse of Imperial Assault and I have a question regarding playing a campaign (since I assume its probably similar to Descent as well).

I'm sure this is partially due to the fact I don't have cards and components in front of me, but reading the rules, I can't for the life of me figure out a campaign structure.

How do players choose the next mission? What is considered an "active side mission"? And when the campaign log says its time for a story mission, how do I select that?

Also, from reading forums, it seems like there are agenda cards that can force more missions into the structure? Do those play between story and side missions?

So confused.

More questions:

On the campaign log in the Threat Level column there's little tick boxes next to each missions threat level -- what the fuck am I ticking off here?
I assume for the Upgrade boxes I'm just ticking off that we've completed those steps?

The whole area to the right has me scratching my head too. Agenda targets? Is this something thats going to be painfully obvious when I crack open the box?

BattleMonkey alert: You seem to have your finger on the pulse of Imperial Assault and I have a question regarding playing a campaign (since I assume its probably similar to Descent as well).

I'm sure this is partially due to the fact I don't have cards and components in front of me, but reading the rules, I can't for the life of me figure out a campaign structure.

How do players choose the next mission? What is considered an "active side mission"? And when the campaign log says its time for a story mission, how do I select that?

Also, from reading forums, it seems like there are agenda cards that can force more missions into the structure? Do those play between story and side missions?

So confused.

More questions:

On the campaign log in the Threat Level column there's little tick boxes next to each missions threat level -- what the fuck am I ticking off here?
I assume for the Upgrade boxes I'm just ticking off that we've completed those steps?

The whole area to the right has me scratching my head too. Agenda targets? Is this something thats going to be painfully obvious when I crack open the box?

Haven't looked into the campaign stuff yet, just got my IA yesterday and haven't read far yet as had a game night at my place got in the way.

Hmm considering picking up Polish version of Mysterium. I know this game is coming here but I've heard that they are changing the artwork which is mind-boggling. Wondering if it would just be better to get it now.

Neverfade

Haven't looked into the campaign stuff yet, just got my IA yesterday and haven't read far yet as had a game night at my place got in the way.

OK im kind of a knuckle head. It looks like the reference guide goes into a bit more detail, hopefully that will answer some more things.

I can appreciate FFGs attempt to streamline getting into a game for newer players, but as someone who'd rather study a rulebook for two days and not have questions, this new format has me feeling like I'm missing the forest for the trees sometimes haha.

joelseph

So, this Tablestop Simulator on Steam Workshop is mindblowingly awesome.

I went from completely skeptical to rabidly hyped in a single load.

Not sure how long this paradise will last but almost EVERY modern game I can think of is on this sucker. So far I know that BSG and Munchkin (who cares!) have received takedown notices. This makes me feel like the end is near... but.. while it lasts it's boardgaming heaven.

Last night I played King of New York, Marvel Legendary, Flash Point, and Tsuro. All of them played flawlessly.

Check this out before word gets out on how perfect it is.

Var

Not sure how long this paradise will last but almost EVERY modern game I can think of is on this sucker. So far I know that BSG and Munchkin (who cares!) have received takedown notices. This makes me feel like the end is near... but.. while it lasts it's boardgaming heaven.

Last night I played King of New York, Marvel Legendary, Flash Point, and Tsuro. All of them played flawlessly.

I bought it a couple months back but haven't had the time to actually play it yet. Is there any easy way to find people to play with?

Tangeroo

Whoa, never heard of this before. I just bought a 4-pack (33% off thanks to the Holiday sale). Thanks!

joelseph

I bought it a couple months back but haven't had the time to actually play it yet. Is there any easy way to find people to play with?

There is a okay server browser with descriptions, you can also filter by steam friends so that helps.

BoardgameGaf could form a group specifically for the game on Steam if needed. =)

I just jumped onto a buddies table and friends come and go. The great thing is you don't need to have a game to play it, the host can load whatever and your client will download the assets on the spot.

Throw in spectating and the ability to draw on the table and you get people just hanging out with their buds. It's really a neat experience.

I use mumble exclusively. If anyone uses that for voice comms I would be happy to jump into a game with whoever!

joelseph

Whoa, never heard of this before. I just bought a 4-pack (33% off thanks to the Holiday sale). Thanks!

That's what I did and passed out the extras to friends for the holidays. I bet we see this skyrocket to the top of the steam lists, and sadly, I bet when word gets out we start to see massive take downs in the workshop. No idea how that will affect assets you already downloaded. Get them while they are hot!

Var

Anyone here pre-order Dead of Winter and receive theres yet? I've been in contact with Plaid Hat and they told me that it should be here on time for Christmas, but I was reading on boardgamegeek today that somebody posted on there they they just got theres.

I just got the tracking info for mine this morning.

joelseph

How does the Tabletop Simulator thing work? Do you just use add-ons/mods for these designer games you mention?

Game comes with checkers, chess and the like. You then go into Steam Workshop and install user created content for the games you want. Once you have the games installed you can launch them at your table and it will download for anyone else at the table that doesn't have the assets.

Basic controls
WASD moves the camera
Left click + modifiers manipulate the environment objects
Right click rotates camera
Scroll zooms
You can change your strength and raise height
L locks things to the board
There are a million other little things that you will learn as you go, it's all very intuitive.

Top Bottom