• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Xero

had some credit at my local shop for helping them with a minor plumbing issue and picked up some stuff the wife had been wanting. Got courtiers, chrononauts, and the builders.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Played Small World for the first time yesterday, and while the game was fun, it felt very light for me. Are there any decent expansions that makes the game a bit deeper?

fenners

Played Small World for the first time yesterday, and while the game was fun, it felt very light for me. Are there any decent expansions that makes the game a bit deeper?

Most of the expansions are just more variety of race/powers. There's a promo expansion that adds a player specifically to the sea as a Necromancer. There's one expansion that adds a new mechanic- basically a set of event cards that tweak the rules each round, but that's still more randomness than real depth.

It's a light game ;)

Morfeo

Most of the expansions are just more variety of race/powers. There's a promo expansion that adds a player specifically to the sea as a Necromancer. There's one expansion that adds a new mechanic- basically a set of event cards that tweak the rules each round, but that's still more randomness than real depth.

It's a light game ;)

:(

UncleO

I had Star War:IA picked up and in hand but I couldnt pull the trigger on it. Did pick up Tortoise and Hare(damn you Tabletop) and Sheriff of Nottingham.

Tortoise and Hare is really well balanced we have enjoyed it alot. Sheriff was a lot of fun.

sasimirobot

Have a new years eve gaming get together planned:

One night ultimate werewolf
Manila
Ticket to ride 1910
Bohnanza

--------------------

Anyone here play diamonds or dead man's draw?

r1chard

I got my daughter (11) Small World for xmas and she loved it. I also got my mum Pandemic, and we quite handily lost the first game we played of that (on the easiest setting ;)

Karkador

Banned
I got my daughter (11) Small World for xmas and she loved it. I also got my mum Pandemic, and we quite handily lost the first game we played of that (on the easiest setting ;)

Don't be dissuaded by losing at Pandemic (or any game by the designer, Matt Leacock). Pandemic is a game that you have to lose a few times to understand what you did wrong, and enjoy the eventual win.

Vinci

Danish
Tokaido - one of my Christmas presents - has taken over playtime in our house. Such a beautiful, well-designed, and relaxing game. Great to play while drinking and chatting, no pressure to it.

I've had a couple board games on my wishlist for awhile, and with some gift cards, I was in the buying mood.

Someone, in the forums on boardgamegeek, of ones of these games, mentioned it was cheaper on Amazon.de

Tobago
Camel Up
Geister Geister Schatzsuchmeister

I ended up throwing them all into the cart and checked out with them for roughly 95 US dollars including shipping. Meanwhile, the price on US amazon would be about 160 dollars.

So I'll be adding these to my collection.

My brother also bought me a game called 'The Resistance' which sounds like a ton of fun, but I have absolutely no one to play with.

I'm considering joining a game group or something because other than the girlfriend who I can sometimes get involved in a game with me, I've got virtually no one else to game with. :(

edit:

I also couldn't resist purchasing, while out shopping today, 'Evolution', which seems to be a cool game about evolving your species to outlast the others or be the most successful.

EYEL1NER

My brother also bought me a game called 'The Resistance' which sounds like a ton of fun, but I have absolutely no one to play with.

I'm considering joining a game group or something because other than the girlfriend who I can sometimes get involved in a game with me, I've got virtually no one else to game with. :(
I know those feels...
Hell, I bought The Resistance and Resistance: Avalon for myself knowing ahead of time that I didn't have the number of people required to play them. I have actually bought numerous games that require more than 4 or 5 people because there was a good deal on them at the time, the games were held in high regard, and I figure that at some point in the future I will have to have friends. Like, eventually something would have to give and I would stumble into a group of people who would want to be around me.
So if I ever make some friends or cultivate some acquaintances, I'll have PLENTY of games to wish they were interested in playing with me.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh sweet, I might manage to get untouched/shrinkwrapped copies of Mage Knight and Through the Ages for 50€ each.

:-o

Vlaada Chvatil is the hero we need.

Mr.Towel

Got Bioshock Infinite: Siege of Columbia for dirt cheap at my local comic shop because they said they opened it up for demoing. Got it home and was pleasantly surprised to find all the pieces and cards unwrapped and unopened. Haven't played it yet, but it seems like an inoffensive Risk riff.

I haven't really posted since the summer bit a lot has been going on in real life but Christmas has come and gone and we've dramatically increased our board game collection. Wife and I bought each other a bunch of games and even my brother who only kind of knew about our new hobby even got my wife and I game.

Before Christmas: Pandemic + On The Brink and Lord of the Rings: CCG

For Christmas (between us) we received: Mice and Mystics, Eldritch Horror, Castle Panic + Wizard's Tower, Ghost Stories, Robinson Crusoe and Legends of Andor

So yeah, we've got a pretty nice co-op collection now and we're going to go from easiest to hardest and we started with Castle Panic base set last night and had a lot of fun even though the game seems really, realy easy ( 3-0, two close games) but I'm pretty sure Wizard's Tower makes the game, or so I've read.

So thanks to all of you and lurking a lot we've got a solid new hobby and can't wait to add more and read more of your stories.

Morfeo

If you're looking for deeper territory control games, check out:
- Terra Mystica
- City of Remnants

Thanks, both of those games looks much more up my alley. Are they decently balanced?

Oh sweet, I might manage to get untouched/shrinkwrapped copies of Mage Knight and Through the Ages for 50€ each.

:-o

Vlaada Chvatil is the hero we need.

Congrats! I really enjoy Mage Knight, even though the randomness of the skills-system can be a bit unforgiving at time. Havent had the opportunity to play Through the Ages yet even though we have it in my game group - but looks cool!

hort

Neo Member
Me and the GF got a decent haul from Christmas this year.

We got The Witcher, Eldritch Horror + expansion, Elder Sign expansion, Pandemic: The Cure, a second Conquest core set, and a few X-wing ships.

Out of all of the new games, I think Pandemic: The Cure is my favorite. I wasn't sure what to expect going into it, and was a little disappointed after we won our first game very very easily. We tried it again the next day though, and proceeded to lose 5 times in a row.

This is a great take on Pandemic, and might be better than the original version. I really like the placing of disease cubes based on what is rolled and the push your luck factor of re-rolling your actions, knowing you could get a biohazard symbol, or that one action that you need.

Overall, Pandemic: The Cure is a fantastic game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Congrats! I really enjoy Mage Knight, even though the randomness of the skills-system can be a bit unforgiving at time. Havent had the opportunity to play Through the Ages yet even though we have it in my game group - but looks cool!

Looking forward to both! I like most games in my collection, but I LOVE all of Vlaadas games, this guy is so different, original AND great with every game he makes.

Galaxy Trucker
Pictomania
Space Alert
Through the Ages
Mage Knight
Tash Kalar

And I probably should look into Dungeon Lords too. This guy is just insane. General Thread question: Any other boardgame maker you'd buy any future game from sight unseen?

Is this a good place for X-wing list critiques? Here are two, if anyone has any thoughts for improvement:

"Whisper" (Tie-Phantom) - Gunner, Fire Control System, Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking Device
Captain Oicunn (VT-49 Decimator) - Daredevil, Mara Jade, Intelligence Agent x2, Dauntless, Engine Upgrade
The Decimator rushes in and rams shit. The Whisper does what Whisper does.

Dash Rendar (YT-2400) - Push the Limit, Heavy Laser Cannon, Kyle Katarn, Outrider, Engine Upgrade
Corran Horn (E-Wing) - Push the Limit, R2-D2
Dash rolls and boosts around to try to kite the enemy and pound them with laser cannon shots. Corran flanks to pick off whoever

XShagrath

And I probably should look into Dungeon Lords too. This guy is just insane. General Thread question: Any other boardgame maker you'd buy any future game from sight unseen?
Stefan Feld.

Although I haven't picked up La Isla yet. It doesn't seem like it plays very well with two players, so that's the only reason I've held off on it. Really looking forward to Aquasphere hitting the States though.

Experien

Opened/put together Lords of Xidit, such great components and seems quite simple so I am anxious to play. Though the disc placing was a bit confusing.

How are people storing Imperial Assault? Such a thick box, don't know where to put things. Also my AT-AT front gun isn't stiff enough to keep it up...such a wierd sentence. Anyone else's main cannon having issues?

Toma

Stefan Feld.

Although I haven't picked up La Isla yet. It doesn't seem like it plays very well with two players, so that's the only reason I've held off on it. Really looking forward to Aquasphere hitting the States though.

I generally like his games too, but I read they might all be a bit too similar to each other? Whats your take on this?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Vlaada is so weird to me because I love Galaxy Trucker but really dislike all of his other games that I've played. Still own and haven't played Dungeon Petz though so need to give that a shot.

After King of Tokyo, RoboRally, Netrunner, etc., I'd be very inclined to buy any major release from Richard Garfield. Antoine Bauza would probably come in second. Feld is awesome but I already have about four of his titles and don't feel they're different enough to merit a sight-unseen buy going forward despite the fact that he's more or less guaranteed quality.

Is this a good place for X-wing list critiques? Here are two, if anyone has any thoughts for improvement:

"Whisper" (Tie-Phantom) - Gunner, Fire Control System, Veteran Instincts, Advanced Cloaking Device
Captain Oicunn (VT-49 Decimator) - Daredevil, Mara Jade, Intelligence Agent x2, Dauntless, Engine Upgrade
The Decimator rushes in and rams shit. The Whisper does what Whisper does.

Dash Rendar (YT-2400) - Push the Limit, Heavy Laser Cannon, Kyle Katarn, Outrider, Engine Upgrade
Corran Horn (E-Wing) - Push the Limit, R2-D2
Dash rolls and boosts around to try to kite the enemy and pound them with laser cannon shots. Corran flanks to pick off whoever

Any place is good for list critiques in my book. For the imperial list, I like it, I really like the concept of giving Oicunn 2 agents, that is a mean idea and Whisper is well loaded to stay at range 3 and take out any strays. The only thing I would change is I prefer rebel captive to Mara, in theory Mara Jade is a better pick for Oicunn but I've found more often that not that most ships that sit at range 1 of you either clear stress fairly easily or are already stressed to begin with.

As for the rebel list, I would go opportunist or marksmanship on Corran for his elite skill and definitely try to give him fire control system. PLT and R2 are good on an E-wing but I don't think they properly compliment Corrans ability to its fullest potential. I am a little wary of giving Dash PTL, given I've seen a lot of outriders with HLCs completely shut down by ships flying at range 1 of them and stress really doesn't help with flying, although if you are confident with its dial then I could see it paying off. Just be careful to perhaps not use it every turn if it looks like an agile high pilot skill ship is about to get right behind you. Another elite skill to consider would be lone wolf if you are flying them both apart and it helps to force your opponent to focus on the outrider

Lyng

Thanks, both of those games looks much more up my alley. Are they decently balanced?

Terra Mystica is fantastic. It's very deep and 100% strategy and zero luck. The races are, however, not that balanced, still it's a fantastic area control, if not the best.

Any place is good for list critiques in my book. For the imperial list, I like it, I really like the concept of giving Oicunn 2 agents, that is a mean idea and Whisper is well loaded to stay at range 3 and take out any strays. The only thing I would change is I prefer rebel captive to Mara, in theory Mara Jade is a better pick for Oicunn but I've found more often that not that most ships that sit at range 1 of you either clear stress fairly easily or are already stressed to begin with.

As for the rebel list, I would go opportunist or marksmanship on Corran for his elite skill and definitely try to give him fire control system. PLT and R2 are good on an E-wing but I don't think they properly compliment Corrans ability to its fullest potential. I am a little wary of giving Dash PTL, given I've seen a lot of outriders with HLCs completely shut down by ships flying at range 1 of them and stress really doesn't help with flying, although if you are confident with its dial then I could see it paying off. Just be careful to perhaps not use it every turn if it looks like an agile high pilot skill ship is about to get right behind you. Another elite skill to consider would be lone wolf if you are flying them both apart and it helps to force your opponent to focus on the outrider
Great advice, thanks. Looking at it, I agree with choosing the rebel captive over Mara Jade.

For the rebel list, I will follow your advice as I don't think I have the maneuvering skill yet to really make my Dash shine. I kind of flip-flopped things here to give more survivability to the YT-2400 now:

Corran - FCS, Marksmanship, Experimental Interface
Dash - Lone Wolf, HLC, C-3PO, Outrider, Engine Upgrade

The Experimental Interface I think gives Corran flexibility to get that extra boost or evade to save his skin or get into firing position. Between losing PtL and adding Marksmanship, I really wouldn't feel safe sending Corran out on his own without giving him a way to get another action in.

Neverfade

Anything with meat that Carl Chudyk puts out, I'm there.

Despite that Flowerfall nonsense, Glory to Rome, Innovation, and Impulse are all amazing.

Xavier George has made Royal Palace, Carson City, Troyes, and Ginkopolis -- all pretty good to amazing games, my ears perk up when something from him comes out for sure.

I also own an absurd number of Konieczka games.

On the other end of the spectrum, Chvatil is an auto GTFO.

XShagrath

I generally like his games too, but I read they might all be a bit too similar to each other? Whats your take on this?
I think most of his meaty games have very different mechanics, but a lot of his games get (rightly) hit with the "point salad" moniker. Pretty much anything you do in a lot of his games will give you VPs, but it can be difficult to try to maximize them.

Carl Chudyk is up there too with designers that I will jump on. I like some of Vlaada's stuff, but not all of it. I really don't care for Mage Knight at all, for example.

Karkador

Banned
I don't know if I'd ever buy a game "sight unseen", even from designers I really like, but I'm finding myself pretty impressed by how Antoine Bauza has designed a lot of fun and simple games that subvert the "Euro" mentality a bit.

joelseph

I'm willing to give almost any game brought over from Japan a shot, they have an exciting young group of designers.

Agree with Garfield being another one that I will buy sight unseen.

Looking forward to both! I like most games in my collection, but I LOVE all of Vlaadas games, this guy is so different, original AND great with every game he makes.

Galaxy Trucker
Pictomania
Space Alert
Through the Ages
Mage Knight
Tash Kalar

I love Dungeon Lords. It's a game I was intimidated to play but it actually is easier to play than I initially thought and it's just so good. The only downside is you have to play it with the full compliment of players. Having dummy players in that game is such a bummer.

As for designer's games I would buy sight unseen I'll say, Vital Lacerda. Vinhos, CO2, and Kanban have all been winners to me.

Stefen Feld is so-so to me. I like Trajan and Castles of Burgundy, luke warm on Notre Dame, haven't played Bruges or Bora Bora, and I hate Macao with fire of a thousand suns.

Karkador

Banned
I love Friedemann Friese games, although they are a bit quirky in terms of the rules/helpful graphic design.

I've been eyeing Fresh Fish...

choodi

Banned
So I just ordered the X-Wing starter set.

Anything I need to know before it arrives, or do I just dive in and play?

EYEL1NER

Play the three missions in the book before jumping into any skirmishes or full 100-pt battles.
That is something that was recommended to me quite often before I started playing and something I have seen recommended to a lot of other people.

fenners

So I just ordered Imperial Assault. Tell me Gaf, did I make a good choice?

Yes. Played through the intro mission on Saturday, big hit with all at the table. We're going to run a season of it in the New Year. It's a great mix of what we liked from Descent 1e smooshed into Descent 2e, with all sorts of downtime & "fiddliness" downplayed. Really impressed with the basic flow of the game & how combat is quickly resolved.

It's amazing. Enjoy.

We played a game of it yesterday.
DVxSNaf.jpg

NKN4v7M.jpg

Search turned up nothing and I've been hugely out of the loop, so forgive me if I'm late to the party...I just learned that the card game Vs. System is being revived by Upper Deck and is apparently due for release at GenCon 2015 with a living card game distribution model. Vs. is by far my favorite trading card game so I'm fucking hyped as shit oh my god (breathe, dammit!) for the revival. Has anyone else heard of it? I was a fan from the day the first shipment of Marvel Origins arrived at my local shop until when the Green Lantern expansion dropped. Game died at our scene around then :(. Never thought in a million years that it would be revisited. It absolutely deserves to be experienced by everyone, and the LCG distribution model should make the game very accessible.

Again, sorry if this was already a talking point in the thread. I'm just really high off learning about this. Vs. was very special for me and my old playgroup.

Apenheul

I would play the first two maybe three rounds without card-actions; just use the maneuver-dial and shoot (if possible) and of course use default barrel-roll, evade or focus actions. Those are the basic tactics of the game, everything on top of that has to do with strategy and fleet-composition, most of which only shines if you buy additional ships. The starter-set is perfectly fine on its own though if you just want to play a miniatures-game as if it were a board game every now and then.

Faiz

Be careful how you place the pegs in the ships, they break easily and aren't available separately.

It's a great game and this is my only real complaint.

Top Bottom