• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I grabbed Alchemists as the daily deal on Spiele-offensive.de 27€ seems to be a good deal and the logical puzzle core element seems really intriguing.

Palmer_v1

I finally got to play Dead of Winter the other day.

I was dealt a betrayal card. I am always the Cylon, the betrayer, the traitor, etc. It just always happens.

Anyway I convinced everyone I was on their side and was trying to collect 6 food cards before ruining things for everyone. I made a lot of bad plays and spent the entire time searching in places where I could find food.

I managed to make the moral go down to 0, but I was missing one food. I pretended I put all the right cards in to pass the crisis check and begged everyone for a can of food, saying that I needed it to win the game. I am convinced that if anyone had a can of food they would have given it to me, but alas, they didn't. I still feel like playing for the stalemate at that point was the best I could do.

Just FYI, when you request a card from other players, you have to play it immediately for it's effect.

Experien

I keep getting stopped from bringing Sheriff of Nottingham to the table. Either too many people or someone doesn't want to play a bluffing game. I want to play it!

But it might get more sidetracked since Imperial Assault is said to arrive Monday. Where are my priorities?!

Xater

I grabbed Alchemists as the daily deal on Spiele-offensive.de 27€ seems to be a good deal and the logical puzzle core element seems really intriguing.

I almost jumped at it as well, but it's a bit too involved for me. Curious if they'll have a big thing for tomorrow. I could see Five Tribes.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm really late on this but I wanted to throw yet another vote for Leaders as a 7 Wonders expansion. Lots of variety in leaders was neat to have, and it seemed fun to me. In contrast, I seem to recall the cities version having some sort of mechanic about being backstabbed by neighbors and/or being robbed of coins. This both meant that you could be really unlucky in your neighbors, even moreso than the original game's military point escalation, and you could run really low on coins and not even be able to do neat stuff.

Apparently average reviews on Amazon disagree with me, but the end result was Cities struck me as "bah, this is an annoying mechanic to work around", while Leaders struck me as "yay, these are a bunch more neat options I can use".

Not sure how I feel about that brand new ship for the Large-scale Imperial ship in X-Wing.

Why? Imperials need something after the Rebels got large ship, and Empire doesn't really have anything in that scale canon wise. It was real awkward to do large ships in the first place and make them both for one faction.

Anyways with Armada, think they should have stuck smaller ships for X-Wing really, the larger ships feel more like special scenario fodder.

Faiz

My wife's friend from work is coming over day after Christmas. She heard we are into boardgames. She and her husband want us to play Redneck Life with them.

This will be painful.

Why? Imperials need something after the Rebels got large ship, and Empire doesn't really have anything in that scale canon wise. It was real awkward to do large ships in the first place and make them both for one faction.

Anyways with Armada, think they should have stuck smaller ships for X-Wing really, the larger ships feel more like special scenario fodder.

Well primarily I don't like the idea of big ships in the first place. I also have no interest in a star wars ship that was invented for a board game even though it looks alright.

EYEL1NER

Not sure how I feel about that brand new ship for the Large-scale Imperial ship in X-Wing.
I don't see what negative feelings could be had. The Imperials needed a large ship. They will be getting one, and it looks cool as hell to boot (looks cooler than either rebel large ships). And it will provide buffs for the TIE Advanced, something people have been asking for and expecting for a while.

Well primarily I don't like the idea of big ships in the first place. I also have no interest in a star wars ship that was invented for a board game even though it looks alright.

Well they are optional and only for the larger game play mode so that's nice. And game already has EU ships in it, this is no different. Many of the EU vehicles and such were actually originally created by WEG for the original Star Wars RPG book line of games 1st, they then were taken and used by authors in books, video games, etc. Much of the EU's roots came from table top gaming origins really, WEG was putting out some of the earliest approved new material. Wizards did the same, creating many original unique things for their games, and they got borrowed for other SW properties.

That is a good point about WEG but I have no connection to that game whereas I've read a lot of the EU books and comics. For me it's just harder to get excited about ships that haven't appeared in multiple sources. It fits look way cooler than that imperial ship from star wars galaxies. I really only play x wing because I can use ships I know and love. I'm glad people are excited for it though. I can't wait to see what they do with the new trilogy.

tm24

My closet is running out of room to store board games. I need to sell some in order to buy more. First world problems

tm24

Get a bigger house, it's the only solution.

Still my fav PA comic

215471989_GKZWD-1050x10000.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I got to play one of my christmas presents:
Tash Kalar

Its a rather unique game in my collection, since the basic game mechanic is about forming certain structures on the board with which you can then summon cards from your hand. The biggest drawback of the game is certainly that some turns can be incredibly hard to plan because of how everyone can just take quite a few of your own pieces in his turn and effective countering of enemy plans is hard, since you never know what enemies are actually about to do.

However, the game still manages to be very fun and encourages on-the-spot thinking instead of long term planning. As soon as the board fills up a bit, every turn is a puzzle of figuring out the best way to use your summoning cards on the board by searching for the summoning patterns. You can also use tactical placement of unit tiles to make sure stronger units are manning the front lines towards enemy summoning grounds, defending your lower level pieces. There is definitely an interesting level of strategy here, which I am sure I havent fully grasped yet.

Anyway, unique and fun. I havent played a Vlaada Chvatil game so far that I didnt like. Galaxy Trucker, Space Alert, Tash Kalar and Pictomania are all great fun and are among the most interesting games in my collection.

Toma

My low-quality-pic high-quality-gaming Christmas Haul:

(Alchemists, Cosmic Encounter, Quantum, Septikon, Space Alert and Tash Kalar)

EYEL1NER

I got a pretty good haul from my BGG Secret Santa.
I received Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Legendary: Dark City already sorted into the base game box, Legendary: Paint the Town Red, the En Sabah Nur promo and the GenCon 2014 promos, and the Legendary playmat. I also received another copy of the Smash Up: Monster Smash expansion, only this one is the foil box version.

I am extremely pumped to finally get Legendary. Gotta find time to play it quick though because my time in the country is running out. The local store that opened a couple months ago right before my last vacation has apparently closed down, as well as the comic shop that opened next to it. If that store had been opened, I would have probably taken it in there to play. Sucks too because I was looking to buy some MtG cards there, I finally decided to cave in and try my hand at building a deck.

ultron87

Unless I can spike a game out of a gift exchange my game haul this year will be Abyss, Cutthroat Caverns, Trains, and Archipelago. Pretty happy with that.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I got a pretty good haul from my BGG Secret Santa.
I received Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game, Legendary: Dark City already sorted into the base game box, Legendary: Paint the Town Red, the En Sabah Nur promo and the GenCon 2014 promos, and the Legendary playmat. I also received another copy of the Smash Up: Monster Smash expansion, only this one is the foil box version.

I am extremely pumped to finally get Legendary. Gotta find time to play it quick though because my time in the country is running out. The local store that opened a couple months ago right before my last vacation has apparently closed down, as well as the comic shop that opened next to it. If that store had been opened, I would have probably taken it in there to play. Sucks too because I was looking to buy some MtG cards there, I finally decided to cave in and try my hand at building a deck.
Feel like it's hit or miss with folks but I love Legendary and so does my family. We play pure random everything though, which is a lot of fun with the expansions.

sasimirobot

Been playing a lot of Parade lately
parade_card_detail.jpg

Great with 3 or more, but awesome with 2. I wish this game would have been recommended earlier to me, its perfect for quick games with the GF. Lots of depth and strategy, and I am still working out how best to play my hands.

Here is a good review for it!

Flunkie

Banned
Got Star Wars Imperial Assault for Christmas. How'd I do? It seems s bit complicated at first. I feel as if nobody will want to play with me :( especially my 10 year old nephew.

Toma

I got that too!

Also: Caverna (pretty psyched about this one)

I played the first story of Sherlock a few weeks ago. Its pretty taxing with all the possible story connections and mini hints, but very fun and original.

Faiz

My BG Xmas was a little on the light side this years - King of New York and the Battlelore dice pack. It's cool though, still have several from LAST Xmas we haven't been able to get to the table yet, heh.

Apenheul

The only 2014* release I've played this year was Istanbul which I liked a lot. I've played it twice now using the short-game configuration and I'm ready for a different layout now.

*) wait I also played Marvel Dice Masters so that's not really true.

Been playing a lot of Parade lately
parade_card_detail.jpg

Great with 3 or more, but awesome with 2. I wish this game would have been recommended earlier to me, its perfect for quick games with the GF. Lots of depth and strategy, and I am still working out how best to play my hands.

Here is a good review for it!

Yeah, Parade is pretty great. My wife and I play it with our 5 year old son a lot and he's actually pretty good. I haven't played it with two yet, so I'll need to give it a try.

joelseph

Games I was graciously gifted this Christmas; Zooloretto, Doomtown Saddlebag #1, Hey that's my Fish small box, Marvel Villains.

Experien

Too many games!!!

Got Lords of Xidit, Castellan, Star Wars: Alliance vs Empire, and On the Brink expansion to Pandemic...add on 3+ games I need to play (more of)...2015 will be busy.

Also swung by a Target in Florida and picked up 2 Dice Masters expansions cause why not?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Got Star Wars Imperial Assault for Christmas. How'd I do? It seems s bit complicated at first. I feel as if nobody will want to play with me :( especially my 10 year old nephew.
Haha yep. This is the top reason why I've seriously reduced my FFG purchases even though he majority of their releases appeal to me in some way.

Palmer_v1

Friend for Xia: Legends of a Drift System, and we played a tutorial game and 10 point game last night. I like it a lot so far. First space exploration game I've played like this.

Dreavus

Went ahead and bought Shinobi Clans on a bit of a whim today during boxing day. I went for Fairy Tale but came out with this instead (they were sold out :X). Looks pretty interesting overall and I love the art style.

I read through the rules and it seems a little strange that you only draft some of the cards each round instead of all of them... I wonder if the game would be fine just drafting everything. Might try both when this hits the table.

Neverfade

I only got CSI credit for Xmas but I did order Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness for myself right before the holiday.

CSI needs to stock Roll for the Galaxy ASAP.

Phthisis

Got Shadowrun Crossfire for Christmas. I am really really looking forward to playing it with four. I like the idea that you can build persistent upgrades through 45-60 minute games whenever people feel like busting it out.

ultron87

Holiday Insert Reviews:

Archipelago - Excellent. Fits everything super snugly. As a nice touch it tells you to keep the cardboard punch outs to put under the insert and snug it up to the box top.

Abyss - Good.

Trains - Noooo. How does a deck builder not have a slotted insert!? The game that invented the dang genre has one! Mumble mumble.

Holiday Insert Reviews:

Archipelago - Excellent. Fits everything super snugly. As a nice touch it tells you to keep the cardboard punch outs to put under the insert and snug it up to the box top.

I actually dislike when they do that, I much prefer the way Jamaica does it, when you buy it the box doesn't fully close because of the punchboards, but after punching everything it fits perfectly. I wish more games did this.

Trains insert is a POS. I hate when they put generic trays that really don't fit. I just bought Rivals for Catan and the insert doesn't name any sense at all.

Karkador

Banned
Holiday Insert Reviews:

Pandemic: The Cure - it's okay. I think the box has some needless space and could have been closer to square-shaped. Everything fits in the main compartment of the box.

Machi Koro - I think the box came with mold in it. I'm already dead.

EYEL1NER

Went ahead and bought Shinobi Clans on a bit of a whim today during boxing day. I went for Fairy Tale but came out with this instead (they were sold out :X). Looks pretty interesting overall and I love the art style.

I read through the rules and it seems a little strange that you only draft some of the cards each round instead of all of them... I wonder if the game would be fine just drafting everything. Might try both when this hits the table.
I also love the art style. That is what brought it to my attention and was the sole reason I bought it. Seems like it might be a good game too, which is nice.

Neverfade

I guess I didn't save my Archipelago punchboards. I store my games vertically and that one looks like a miniature 2 year old lives in the box every time I open it.

Edit: Also checked my Machi Koro box to see if any of that mold had taken hold since I last played. I don't see mold but the box lid inexplicably looks like someone ate a small McDonald's fries out of it, haha.

Xater

So for my German friends in here. Amazon currently has Battlelore Second Edition for 33,97€ and the official price is 69,99€. It's a pretty fantastic deal, bought it myself today.

Apenheul

I traded my Eldritch Horror for a friend's copy of Suburbia, best trade ever! I love Suburbia and I'm probably going to get the expansion soon because I really like the idea of the borders.

I gave EH a fair try but in the end my group just prefers to play Arkham Horror (with Dunwich, Innsmouth and Miskatonic expansions) so I don't think EH would get much playtime here.

Top Bottom