• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Flynn

Finished my first game of Ora et Labora today, I enjoyed it a lot but that's one exhausting game.

I don't see myself playing it again soon. Want to, but it requires me and my wife to be fully concentrated on it. Way too many options.

One week my sister and I played it maybe three or four times. It def gets easier once you're familiar enough with it. THOUGH we did kind of get in a fight toward the end of one game, so I guess it remains grueling.

parasight

Really disappointed in IDW Games. Haven't heard anything in three weeks about the different sized cards from harbour. Not even a response to my follow up email I sent a week ago. Either they are really backed up or they have no intention to remedy the huge fuck up. One way or another at least responding to your customers seems like a required courtesy. Communication is key.

Not a good look for their customer service. Especially when so many publishers are usually very good about it. Definitely gonna hesitate on any potential future purchases from them.

On a less negative note, I wrote an article for the cafe I work at about my favorite games of last year. Not sure if any one would be interested but it's here

One week my sister and I played it maybe three or four times. It def gets easier once you're familiar enough with it. THOUGH we did kind of get in a fight toward the end of one game, so I guess it remains grueling.

I played it again today, got much easier as you said.

I guess the downside of the two player game is that there was no end in sight, we were both producing miracles almost every turn and neither wanted to end the game since that would mean letting the other player produce more miracles while buying the buildings needed to trigger the end game.

Dryk

God dammit -_-
10983152_10153107825548894_8396438015353411523_n.jpg

Keasar

Finally, they just restocked all the stores here in Sweden with new copies of Dead of Winter. Gonna order one as soon as I get home. :D

Xater

Finally, they just restocked all the stores here in Sweden with new copies of Dead of Winter. Gonna order one as soon as I get home. :D

Seems like the German version is finally finding it's way into stores here. I need to get that when I have some spare change.

Krash

Neo Member
Ugh. I pulled the trigger on way too much Conan stuff on Kickstarter.

I would have been more tempted, but I spent way too much money on the Dungeon Saga Kickstarter a few months back. A shame, too, as I actually like this one more, and, like you said, it has a pretty prestigious design team behind it.

I got some severe backer's remorse after the Dungeon Saga one ended. Regardless of how the finished product ends up, I think I'm done pledging a couple hundred dollars on any Kickstarter projects from here on out.

Little ones, though? Sure! Super satisfied with the Omen: Reign of War project I just received. Very reasonable price, high quality stuff on a proven game, and a super quick turnaround, too.

Looks like I might have found my next game purchase. It's going to be "Auf den Spuren von Marco Polo" and it's designed by the same people that did Tzolkin.

BGG

That looks like something Tom Vasel would hate, but I think looks pretty cool. Will give it a look for sure.

I love that the hobby is finally getting better designs across the board. Some of the designs 5 years ago were absolutely hideous.

Xater

That looks like something Tom Vasel would hate, but I think looks pretty cool. Will give it a look for sure.

I love that the hobby is finally getting better designs across the board. Some of the designs 5 years ago were absolutely hideous.

The people that got to play it during the toy fair in Nürnberg are raving about it. So it's not just pretty.

Gates of Arkham will be here Friday.

I love what they did with adventure cards, giving each of them an Arkham Horror identity and a per-location 'theme'.

Also, AH-eqsue gates make way more sense.

Hype!

So how is it? I recently got into Eldritch Horror and just pick up Elder Sign. I play couple of solitaire game and really enjoying it. Now I want more Arkham games.

FFG sure love their tokens and cards, but they do make nice components. I made foam core for it and hope I leave enough room for expansion.

JSR_Cube

Thanks for the heads-up on the Marco Polo game. I quite like Tzolkin despite not being very good at it. I am definitely interested in anything they design.

Xater

Thanks for the heads-up on the Marco Polo game. I quite like Tzolkin despite not being very good at it. I am definitely interested in anything they design.

It's out here in Germany in March. Don't know about a U.S. release. I think I'll get it right away and post some impressions.

Which shops sell the best foam core, or in general, what are good places to find it? I'd love to start making my own inserts for games.

Is there any general tips for construction and measurements?

Which shops sell the best foam core, or in general, what are good places to find it? I'd love to start making my own inserts for games.

Depends, how much are you going to do?

If you have OCD like me, three bucks per is sensational (but overkill, I still have two sheets left): Elmer's 10-pack

If you're just doing one, to see how it goes, most general stores have them. Walmart does, I know Michael's does.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
It's out here in Germany in March. Don't know about a U.S. release. I think I'll get it right away and post some impressions.

Probably a while later.

HiG is now releasing their games themselves in the US. It's actually a trend that's been going for a while.

I just watched Rahdo's run through of The Golden Ages and it looks pretty cool. Not perfect but seems super interesting.

BUT, I really hate games where you draw a map tile then choose where to put it, feels super anti thematic. Carcassonne is the exception since that is the game, but shaping the world instead of discovering it is something I don't like.

Xater

So I kinda want a good dice game and I am having trouble finding one. Machi Koro was fun for a while but without expansions it feels too samey. Doesn't look like the expansions are coming any time soon here. Roll for the Galaxy has also no announcement for release in Germany. Lehmann even said they are still looking for a German partner for Roll and Race. I guess the Sci-Fi them is holding it back. Pandemic the Cure is not what I am looking for because it is coop. What is there left? Roll through the Ages maybe?

Probably a while later.

HiG is now releasing their games themselves in the US. It's actually a trend that's been going for a while.

Interesting, didn't know that.

Phthisis

So I kinda want a good dice game and I am having trouble finding one. Machi Koro was fun for a while but without expansions it feels too samey. Doesn't look like the expansions are coming any time soon here. Roll for the Galaxy has also no announcement for release in Germany. Lehmann even said they are still looking for a German partner for Roll and Race. I guess the Sci-Fi them is holding it back. Pandemic the Cure is not what I am looking for because it is coop. What is there left? Roll through the Ages maybe?

Alien Frontiers?

Neverfade

I assume you've tried Troyes?

Quantum is also a pretty clever use of dice that I liked much more than I expected I would.

joelseph

Dig Down Dwarf, recent KS that has shipped. You get three rolls to try and form poker combinations and win gems. Gems can be used once to manipulate dice. Gems are worth varying degrees of victory points. Fast fun filler that is easy to teach to nongamers.

Bang! Dice. Classic Bang! play with a familiar dice twist. Good fun medium party game that gets even better with booze and role playing.

Memoir 44. Classic intro to War Gaming. Dice rolls dictate battle outcomes.

Birth of America series from Academy Games. Lesser known war series that can support uneven teams. Very simple but pleasing dice mechanic to resolve battle. Will have you throwing your hands up in victory cheer.

hellocld

So it's super late in the campaign (~3 hours left), but I thought I'd post it anyway since I couldn't find it in the thread anywhere. Some friends of mine have a game up on Kickstarter called Island Dice; you compete with other players through the use of various dice to attempt to gain control of the island, which is composed of a hex grid put together at the start of the game.

They're just shy of reaching their goal, so if it sounds like your cup of tea check it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1491087042/island-dice-a-strategy-game-of-dice-selection

Xater

Dig Down Dwarf, recent KS that has shipped. You get three rolls to try and form poker combinations and win gems. Gems can be used once to manipulate dice. Gems are worth varying degrees of victory points. Fast fun filler that is easy to teach to nongamers.

Bang! Dice. Classic Bang! play with a familiar dice twist. Good fun medium party game that gets even better with booze and role playing.

Memoir 44. Classic intro to War Gaming. Dice rolls dictate battle outcomes.

Birth of America series from Academy Games. Lesser known war series that can support uneven teams. Very simple but pleasing dice mechanic to resolve battle. Will have you throwing your hands up in victory cheer.

I had Bang and didn't care much for it. I'd rather play Resistance. My group is not one for war games. I'm more looking for a lighter dice thing in the vain of Machi Koro I think.

Karkador

Banned
I had Bang and didn't care much for it. I'd rather play Resistance. My group is not one for war games. I'm more looking for a lighter dice thing in the vain of Machi Koro I think.

Wurfel Bohnanza (I had to order it from Germany - should be easy for you to find, and quite inexpensive). Also, liking Bohnanza is not required to like this game.

Elder one are good. I prefer black, white seems to show imperfections more. There are really good guide one YouTube by Esoteric Order. The site also have several plans that you can follow. Key is to get really sharp blade and change it once it start to snag.

USPS decided not to deliver it until yesterday so it didn't make it for Saturday game night. Stay tuned.

I pick up the Unseen Forces expansion since reading on BGG many claimed that the base game is way too easy as and they won all the times. I won easily with 2 investigators but the game definitely became harder with 4. I think with 2 you can hoard stuffs easier. I added the Unseen Forces to the base and the GOO pretty much destroyed my 4 inspectors game. I might go back to 2...

Karkador

Banned
Might be too simple at first glance? I need to read the rules I think.

Oh hey, you responded just as I was checking the thread.

Yes, the game is light and simple to play, but it's got interesting decisions to it - and I don't find it too simple.

What sets it apart from many dice games is that other players are potentially making progress on their cards every time you reroll the dice. That makes the gamble more interesting, because you end up trying to choose what you need vs. what you might be giving to your opponents with a reroll. The dice are not all the same, so you think about how to roll only the dice that wont give your opponents anything - but that might not give you the optimal probability. It's definitely more to think about than just trying to avoid a negative face of the dice.

This also means that all players are engaged in the game during every turn.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really wish BGG had better filtering functions for Owned games. Unless I"m missing something, can't believe you can't filter games by min. or max. game weight, recommended number of players, etc.

Ohnonono

Should have Gates of Arkham tomorrow! I love Elder Sign but this expansion looks like a real game changer. Really cant wait for the more adventure based feel.

Icefire1424

Really wish BGG had better filtering functions for Owned games. Unless I"m missing something, can't believe you can't filter games by min. or max. game weight, recommended number of players, etc.

Think they have that Astro. Under "My Geek" and Collection", the "Filters" lets you filter on a bunch of criteria. Setting own to "Yes" will show only games you own, and there is a field for "Number of Plays" Min / Max. No dice on game weight or recommended number of players though, sadly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Maybe one of these years they'll turn those fundraiser monies into that site redesign they've been touting for god knows how long.

Bahaha. Yeah I do get the badge every year just b/c I use the site so much and the amount is pretty nominal but it's been needing a redesign for like ten years.

Thanks Icefire -- Just figured out that you can sort by a lot of this stuff on the Android app. Kind of funny a somewhat janky app would have way more (important) functionality than the site.

Should have Gates of Arkham tomorrow! I love Elder Sign but this expansion looks like a real game changer. Really cant wait for the more adventure based feel.

I caved and bought Gates of Akham. I played it last night and the game is really a big change from vanilla Elder Sign. After three turn my streets of Akham were littered with Outer World gates and monsters. The restriction on where you can go really change the dynamic of the game. It is a lot harder and there are so many thing to keep track of. I really enjoy it. I treat this is more like a "new" game using some of the components from the original. I went back to play Elder Sign + Unseen Force this morning and Gates is definitely superior experience with much more "thematic" feel.

I am going to play another game this afternoon but using the old GOO instead of the new one to get better handle on the game.

Ohnonono

I caved and bought Gates of Akham. I played it last night and the game is really a big change from vanilla Elder Sign. After three turn my streets of Akham were littered with Outer World gates and monsters. The restriction on where you can go really change the dynamic of the game. It is a lot harder and there are so many thing to keep track of. I really enjoy it. I treat this is more like a "new" game using some of the components from the original. I went back to play Elder Sign + Unseen Force this morning and Gates is definitely superior experience with much more "thematic" feel.

I am going to play another game this afternoon but using the old GOO instead of the new one to get better handle on the game.

Nice! Can't wait!

Thanks for the recommendations on foam core stuff. The videos helped a ton, too. I may pick up some this weekend just to practice, as I have a couple games that could really use it and it's been a while since I sliced off a piece of my thumb!

Top Bottom