• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Phthisis

War of the Ring is my pick for the most thematic game of all time. It's incredible. Rulebook isn't terribly well-written or easily referenced, though. There are a bunch of small rules I missed my first few times through the game.

Related, The Battle of Five Armies is also brilliant. Not quite as grand as WotR, but I think the refinement of the core system makes it a better design that's fast-playing but demands hard choices of the player.

Phinor

Rahdo runs Thunderbird prototype is going up. Gameplay and Static cams are up. Waiting for final thoughts.

On the fence with this one. The theme is great. The designer is awesome. The heavy reliance on dice rolls is holding me back.

I was waiting for that Kickstarter to show up but now that it's here, I'm not seeing anything at all in it. The theme itself would be great, but the gameplay doesn't impress me at all. Basically as you said, a lot of rolling two dice and trying to influence those two dice with very simple added bonuses. Add in the fact that it probably costs twice as much as it should considering the components and I'm just not even going to bother. If it reviews well on release, I'll re-consider but right now it feels like the license is doing all the work.

It's actually a bit annoying to see how well license alone sells on Kickstarter regardless of price or other factors. Then there are actually great and new games on Kickstarter that fail to achieve even the low goals they are aiming for.

ParityBit

Yeah. I feel so damn lucky that I have a wife who really enjoys boardgames.

My wife does also and it is wonderful. After a long day at work, we put our son to bed and relax and play some board games.

None of my gaming friends have wives play board games.

Lyng

My wife does also and it is wonderful. After a long day at work, we put our son to bed and relax and play some board games.

None of my gaming friends have wives play board games.

Same here I am also pretty much the only one. Its such a awsome way to relax together.
Tonight we are going to dig in to a new game just fresh of the mail: Summoner Wars :D

ParityBit

Same here I am also pretty much the only one. Its such a awsome way to relax together.
Tonight we are going to dig in to a new game just fresh of the mail: Summoner Wars :D

Oh fun game!

We are going to be diving back into Memoir 44' soon. Lately we have been trying to find time to get back into gaming (our son is 14 months now) so after a pretty long and sporadic hiatus, we have been tossing a duraflame in the fireplace (need a quick burner because our son still does not sleep though the night - ugh) and playing some lightweight games to just get moving. Like Love Letter, Mr. Jack and Cosmic Wimp-out.

Carcassonne, Catan, Pandemic, and Zombie Dice all arrived today. Most excited for Carcassonne and Catan but my friends will want to try Pandemic first which seems the hardest of the 4 but not too bad. Rule books always make everything seem harder most of the time.

First full game box with trays went pretty well! I didn't expect it to come out this well considering how much I was just eyeballing, but there's a lot of things I've learned to do better. Might try making a box for Escape next.

QWjVlct.jpg
b1BkRXE.jpg

Xero

Carcassonne, Catan, Pandemic, and Zombie Dice all arrived today. Most excited for Carcassonne and Catan but my friends will want to try Pandemic first which seems the hardest of the 4 but not too bad. Rule books always make everything seem harder most of the time.

pandemic is probably easier to learn then carcassonne.

First full game box with trays went pretty well! I didn't expect it to come out this well considering how much I was just eyeballing, but there's a lot of things I've learned to do better. Might try making a box for Escape next.

QWjVlct.jpg
b1BkRXE.jpg

Looks pretty good. Nice, clean cuts. I haven't had the time to keep working on some of my other games, but your insert has inspired me. Maybe I'll work on my next insert next weekend.

Experien

QWjVlct.jpg
b1BkRXE.jpg

Nice, I take it this is just the base game, right? Just got the expansion and I don't think there is a way to fit it all in :(

Leunam

I always bring zombie dice on game nights since it's something we can burn through between games or during smoke breaks.

Phthisis

Played The New Science last night for the first time in a long while. I love this game; kind of a lighter version of Dominant Species in *some* ways. I think Conquistador Games is a really underrated publisher; they put out a lot of quality games with interesting mechanics and themes.

B-wFF15UYAAnKGK.jpg:large

Jumplion

(I swear I searched through NeoGAF to see if there was a board game thread, I am bad at searching)

Hey all, the name's Jumplion. I'm a student going through computer science and game design and, well, long-story short I'm getting a board game published in about a month or two and figured I'd share it with you peoples.

Longer story a little longer, the game is called "Circular Reasoning". It started out at a student project, it was well received enough that I wanted to see how far I could take it professionally. It ended up getting featured at IndieCade and from there it got picked up by Ad Magic to be published under their new branch Breaking Games.

Here's the nit and gritty of it; The game is a strategy game in the same vein as Chess or Go, for two to four players. The goal of the game is to get all three of your tokens to the center of the board. The only way to go through each level to the center is to jump over the gateways, and the gates rotate around the board depending on the number of tokens on each level.

We're almost ready for full release, just a month or two away hopefully. I recently got an early production version of the game. Here are some images, it needs a few minor adjustments, but overall it's pretty much how it's going to look;

I'll let you guys know when it's ready for full sale, but you should be able to e-mail sales@admagic.com and they'll probably work with you to arrange a preorder if your'e interested. Even if you personally aren't interested, I'd absolutely appreciate spreading the word, epsecially once it gets closer for release. It's been so humbling and so surreal to be getting this far with the game, and I can't help but think "what's next?" for me.

While I'm personally more interested in video games, this board game thing was more of a happy accident, getting this game through has really made me develop an appreciation for board games that I never had before. My friend ended up going on a binge of board games and we played Eldritch Horror, King of Tokyo, Love Letter, Abyss, Netrunner, and all sorts of stuff that I honestly never heard about as mainstream as they are in the board game community.

My friends and I really want to get into board games (4 of us). We love games with a lot of lore (about to start Shadowrun and Pathfinders sessions) and supernatural as well as Sci Fi elements. I would like something that makes you feel like a character akin to that of DD RPing but a board game. Eldritch Horror looks fun and Arkham Horror came before that (right?) which also looks cool. Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks!

My friends and I really want to get into board games (4 of us). We love games with a lot of lore (about to start Shadowrun and Pathfinders sessions) and supernatural as well as Sci Fi elements. I would like something that makes you feel like a character akin to that of DD RPing but a board game. Eldritch Horror looks fun and Arkham Horror came before that (right?) which also looks cool. Any recommendations would be awesome. Thanks!

You might want to look at FFG catalog.

Do you want someone to play the master?
* Mansions of madness
* Descent 2.0
* Imperial assault

No master, coop:
* Eldritch Horror (AH is being phased out)
* Shadows of Brimstone

No master, competitive:
* Arcadia Quest

Take a look at this list:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thematic/...=rank&rankobjecttype=family&rankobjectid=5496

Palmer_v1

There may be better games for it, but I do feel like EH and AH are pretty good about giving each player some unique abilities, and pretty great backgrounds/fluff. They also work well for 4 players. No persistence across game sessions though.

If you're into the D&D worlds, the D&D board games can be entertaining. They do have some persistence in leveling your character between sessions.

Decent might be a good fit for your group.

Look into Shadows of Brimstone as well. That seems to scratch pretty much all of your itches at once.

Shadows of Brimstone was the KS game correct? Any good?

Mansions of Madness looks pretty cool. I would like to play a Master/DM in one of these games if that narrows it down any. Does MoM have a traitor aspect or master?

Draxal

Super Dungeon Explore 2.0 is coming out soon as well.

And it has both D(ungeon) M(aster) and non DM modes as well.

Since it's not out yet, can't really give a review of it (I just backed the kickstarter tis all).

Played The New Science last night for the first time in a long while. I love this game; kind of a lighter version of Dominant Species in *some* ways. I think Conquistador Games is a really underrated publisher; they put out a lot of quality games with interesting mechanics and themes.

Beautiful board, the theme is interesting to me but I doubt I can get anyone in my family to try this game. It looks more like school work than game. I just watch this on Watch it Played, thanks. May be someday I can find nice gaming group of people, thanks for sharing, I would never have seen this.

I would recommend Descent 2.0. I haven't play Imperial Assault but it's seem to take Descent 2.0 system and fix some of the problems. If you don't mind Sci-Fi aka Star Wars theme then I would recommended you check that out also.

I personally enjoyed Descent 2.0 but playing as DM is a bit of exercise in frustration at first because you are more like speed bump but I enjoy the thematic and the character progression aspect of the game (which is somewhat like Pathfinders).

I love Eldritch Horror (and just got Arkham Horror if you seen my previous post of my latest haul), from what I read and seen, Eldritch Horror is a much better streamline version of Arkham but Arkham is a meatier game, plus there are multitude of expansions. (Which Descent 2.0 also have plenty of). That said, Eldritch Horror to me is more like adventure game than RPG, you have some leveling up and upgrade but it's on the lighter side compare to game like Descent.

vnM61Uwl.jpg

I find Descent fun but it does have some glaring issues. There are several solo-variant rules and official solo expansions (print on demand) for the base set.

Xero

Shadows of brimstone would be the best to scratch that itch, keep in mind you have to assemble the miniatures. Others would be the pathfinder adventure card game, or in a lighter sense the shadowrun deckbuilder, mice and mystics for a lighter dungeon crawl. For very complicated and long, but pretty rewarding their is mage knight. Then the dm related games like mansions of madness, and descent. Between the two you were looking at probably start with eldritch, though arkham has a bit more atmosphere. Eldritch is easier though.

NEO0MJ

Me and my friends have been playing a lot of Catan recently and we're now looking for something new.

In what game can we fight the awesome plastic dragon?

Me and my friends have been playing a lot of Catan recently and we're now looking for something new.

In what game can we fight the awesome plastic dragon?

Wrath of Ashardalon probably has the biggest, most plasticky dragon for you and your friends to kill as far as board games are concerned. Descent has some mid sized polyethylene dragons in it too.

NEO0MJ

Wrath of Ashardalon probably has the biggest, most plasticky dragon for you and your friends to kill as far as board games are concerned. Descent has some mid sized polyethylene dragons in it too.

Thanks. I'm also seeing so many version of Descent on Amazon, which one should I go for?
Oh, someone above mention Arkham Horror being phased out, what did they mean? I'm debating it and Eldritch Horror.

Experien

Shadows of Brimstone was the KS game correct? Any good?

Mansions of Madness looks pretty cool. I would like to play a Master/DM in one of these games if that narrows it down any. Does MoM have a traitor aspect or master?

I've only gotten Brimstone to the table a very few times and I like it and it is sort of frustrating (and I am not talking difficulty). Exploration tokens say to flip over a portal or a pathway in the mine...but what if the mission you are playing is "search the mine." What happens?

I need a better storage solution too since it has soo many pieces with both core sets.

fenners

Thanks. I'm also seeing so many version of Descent on Amazon, which one should I go for?
Oh, someone above mention Arkham Horror being phased out, what did they mean? I'm debating it and Eldritch Horror.

Arkham Horror's not going anywhere, FFG continue to reprint it & the expansions. It's a big seller for them.

Top Bottom