• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

Howdy! Never knew there was a BG thread on GAF! I haven't played a lot but they are a lot of fun when I do! Is Marvel Legendary any good for a newbie to deck building games like that?

Howdy! Never knew there was a BG thread on GAF! I haven't played a lot but they are a lot of fun when I do! Is Marvel Legendary any good for a newbie to deck building games like that?

It's maybe not the easiest deck builder to learn, but it definitely isn't difficult and it's a lot of fun. My only problem with the game is that if you like it you will want to go get the Dark City expansion right away because the base game heroes and villains get kinda stale after a bit.

Had a Super productive UnPub.

I only played I think 5 games?

Don't want to share anything publicly since these are all WIPs, but there are two games that I'm going to attempt to pick up off the show and a third I'm going to keep an eye on.

When I get some free time, I'll be posting pics/thoughts on the games I played, just in case peeps are interested in what to even expect in events like this and some cool ideas that are in the pipeline.

p.s., mind PMing me your list and comparing with mine? I tried to find you, but the "panda" people I met looked at me blankly when I asked if one of them were "Stooge"

Forgot to mention played 7 Wonders for the first time in ages. We used to play it more or less every week a year ago.
I still love the design of the game way more than I like playing it. It's a very beautifully designed game.

I just got the Babel expansion, haven't tried it out yet. For some reason 7 Wonders is really popular with my group, especially for the players that aren't so great at Catan.

Phthisis

Holyyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiit just announced today.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-528-labyrinth-ii-the-awakening-2010-.aspx

Labyrinth is an amazing game, so the fact that they're adding the last four or five years of historical context to events in the Arab world into the game (along with new mechnics) is pretty epic. I just played it for the first time in a long while yesterday.

And for those of you who haven't played it, it's probably the next step up from Twilight Struggle in complexity for that type of game.

LU6FfBi.jpg

Introduction
There's only 12 days left until Christmas. Santa needs presents made, reindeer fed, and a supply of coal to deliver to the naughty! Designed to be a light worker-placement game that's fun for families and veteran gamers alike, Santa's Workshop is a game for 2-5 elves, ages 8 and up.

Description
This is a very thematic worker-placement game with a lot of different ways to score. You can go the traditional route of building gifts, contributing coal to the supply and tending to the reindeer. The worker elves can be trained to be more efficient in performing various tasks like gathering resources and assembling toys, which also confers bonus points. Players also have the option of making toys using plastic, but there is a penalty for doing so. There are other mechanics as well.

Opinion
I really like this game, but I might be slightly biased. I've definitely seen the mechanics tighten and many of the playthroughs have had very tight scoring. Like other worker placement games, there's placement contention, especially involving the assembly of gifts. Every third day has a bonus scoring round that rewards those who excel in various tasks for the block. This also drives further tension between players and makes turn order very important.

BGG

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/170561/valeria-card-kingdoms

Introduction
The land of Valeria is under siege by hordes of monsters. You and your fellow Duke's must recruit citizens and buy domains to build up your kingdoms and slay the foul creatures that lurk in the surrounding lands.

Valeria: Card Kingdoms is a tableau-building game for 2-4 players and will feel familiar to deck-building fans. The cards you buy can work for you on your turn and on all the other player turns, as well. On your turn, roll two dice and activate citizen cards with the result of each individual die and the sum of both dice. After you take your two actions, each player gets one action to activate their citizens with your roll. The player with the most victory points at the end, wins the game.

Description
Start with the Machi Koro mechanic, but instead of racing to building landmarks, this game is a competition to acquire the most victory points. There are monsters to slay, kingdoms to buy, and a duke to satisfy. The game has three resources: money, military might, and magic (a wildcard resource). Each card available for purchase also has one-to-many symbols that represent the factions they belong to. These symbols are generally things your duke will award bonus points. They also act as prerequisites to purchase kingdoms, which are worth a lot of victory points and also usually grant a nice unique bonus.

Opinion
Playing this game feels a lot like that feeling I had when I first played Ascension after playing Dominion. This seems a lot like a natural evolution of a really good game mechanic. The different resources (military might and money) act a lot like they do in Ascension, but magic is neat because it's only a wildcard resource if you have at least one of the resource you're using it for. For factions, they're nice to focus on, but a balancing mechanic that probably derived from Dominion is that further purchases of a specific card type will always come with a penalty equal to the number of that card you already own. For example, if you already have two peasants, purchasing a third will incur a bonus penalty of two money.

The art is really well done, a dynamic set of goals makes replays feel really different, and the limited number of cards for purchase makes clashing with players happen a lot more often.

I hear a lot of people say that this is their favorite game of the con. I might go back and edit, but I haven't chosen my game of the convention yet.

Introduction
In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important groups: The police, who play a worker placement game to gather cards, and the district attorneys, who play a trick-taking game against the accused with the cards collected. These are their stories.

Description
This game has two distinct, but very synergistic halves. It's important to explain this correctly, so I'll be describing the game backwards order. The second half of the game is a trick taking game (like Hearts or Spades). The two teams of players will be playing cards to take tricks, with two goals in mind:
- The team earns one point for having the most cards of a given suit
- The team earns three points for each element of the crime they take as well
What also makes this unique is the fact that the lowest card played in a trick captures the second-lowest card. This makes things really interesting because high cards aren't necessarily the best cards to have, depending on what the cards that represent the elements of the crime are. There are also two unique cards:
  • A zero, which forces the current trick to immediately end and a new trick will start with the zero counting as the first card played. The winner of this new trick captures all of the cards (except for possibly, the second-lowest)
  • A fourteen is the highest card, but also causes you to skip your next play.
The first half of the game is a worker-placement game where the police are trying to determine the facts about the crime and the criminals try to thwart the cops. On the board, there are basically two types of spaces:
  • A common set of spaces where either team can draft cards, some of which are visible and some of which are hidden
  • A set of investigative spaces for the police. If the police use them, they can get clues to help determine the elements of the crime. If the criminals use these spaces, they don't get anything but the knowledge that the action is no longer available.
Opinion
I was continuously surprised by the creativity of this game. I didn't describe above how awesome the investigative squares turn out to be (especially the interrogating square. It has a mechanic where the criminals are asked a question and like the Sheriff like Nottingham, the cops have to determine whether the robbers are lying. The criminals have to decide whether to stay in and try to squeeze the cops or get out by calling their lawyers).
The twist on the trick-taking rules make things really interesting, especially since the most points come from the elements of the crime. The criminals know what they are, but still need to act to protect those cards until it is time to capture them. The cops might have determined what they are or they could have focused on trying to capture as much as they can and hoping to stumble upon them.

Mista Koo

I just got the Babel expansion, haven't tried it out yet. For some reason 7 Wonders is really popular with my group, especially for the players that aren't so great at Catan.
We had Babel, but we also had people who only played the base game once or ages ago.

Labyrinth is an amazing game, so the fact that they're adding the last four or five years of historical context to events in the Arab world into the game (along with new mechnics) is pretty epic. I just played it for the first time in a long while yesterday.

And for those of you who haven't played it, it's probably the next step up from Twilight Struggle in complexity for that type of game.
The bolded interested me before realizing what the game was :(

Broken Loose

Neo Member

Honestly, I'd still recommend Dominion for people starting out on deckbuilders, except for the fact that it's the most polished example of the genre and might set high standards.

It's not like deckbuilders in general are hard to learn how to play. You definitely don't need to get your feet wet in easier deckbuilders just to play marvel legendary. The rule book is pretty good from what I remember.

PittaGAF

Hi guys!!!
I need and advice.
I need something to play SOLO when I can't play XWING.

I'm undecided between two cards games: Legendary Encounter: Alien and Space Hulk Death Angel.
I like deck builders (Star Realms being a recent fav of mine), but I like dice rolling a lot too.

Pro and cons of those, as far as I can tell reading reviews around and seeing some playthroughs

1) I love scifi and fantasy (I prefer scifi) and I'm familiar with both settings. I *LOVE* Alien, being the first one my fav movie ever. I like WH40K.
2) SH seems faster, especially in setting up the game.
3) I live in Italy and I've read LE:Alien has a 'missing cards' problem in many boxes...something I would hate not being able to receive fast the missing ones from the publisher, if anything.

I want something that I can play out of the bat, with tension, choices, and a strong theme.

Any suggestions?
Other options?

Thanks!!!

I'm undecided between two cards games: Legendary Encounter: Alien and Space Hulk Death Angel.
I like deck builders (Star Realms being a recent fav of mine), but I like dice rolling a lot too.

Can't comment on Legendary, but playing Death Angel on solo is not a fantastic experience. The game is quite fun with more players but solo you have to control multiple tiny decks of 3 cards each yourself which is a little fiddly and without the drama of not knowing what actions your friends are taking then the game becomes a little mechanical and soulless. It isn't awful by any means, but if you were getting Death Angel just for solo play I would recommend something else.

Xater

Hi guys!!!
I need and advice.
I need something to play SOLO when I can't play XWING.

Pro and cons of those, as far as I can tell reading reviews around and seeing some playthroughs

1) I love scifi and fantasy (I prefer scifi) and I'm familiar with both settings. I *LOVE* Alien, being the first one my fav movie ever. I like WH40K.
2) SH seems faster, especially in setting up the game.
3) I live in Italy and I've read LE:Alien has a 'missing cards' problem in many boxes...something I would hate not being able to receive fast the missing ones from the publisher, if anything.

I want something that I can play out of the bat, with tension, choices, and a strong theme.

Any suggestions?
Other options?

Thanks!!!

If you want a solo deck builder I'd say take a look at Friday: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43570/friday

Probably also way cheaper than both of the games you are looking at.

Finally got the family to play Machi Koro + Harbor last night.

It seems to add 25-30 minutes to the game with all the cards, and the Harbor card is pretty powerful income-wise, but overall the kids and I enjoyed it.

The wife, well, at least she played a game with us. :)

Browny

Banned
Had a remotely productive weekend - my copy of Relic Nemesis came through (haven't had a chance to look through yet), but the main thing was my first playthrough of Zombicide. What a lot of fun! I had to leave before the end, but it was an absolute blast. 4 of us running 8 characters, lots of zombies, 2 chainsaws, gunblades, magnums and a smattering of shotguns. Will play again. Lots.

EYEL1NER

Cool news. Never played my copy of Labyrinth but I'll pick this up for when I get around to it.

Mr E.

Can't comment on Legendary, but playing Death Angel on solo is not a fantastic experience. The game is quite fun with more players but solo you have to control multiple tiny decks of 3 cards each yourself which is a little fiddly and without the drama of not knowing what actions your friends are taking then the game becomes a little mechanical and soulless. It isn't awful by any means, but if you were getting Death Angel just for solo play I would recommend something else.
Not my experience at all with DA. I find it a very solid solitaire game. Sure it can be fiddly but tokens are supplied to track the choices made. It may be more puzzley in solitaire mode but the shear randomness of the dice and gene stealer deck mess up your plans every turn.

On the contrary player elimination is high in this game so soloing it seems a good option. Expansions are out for this too if you want more pain.

For a card game the footprint is quite big. Don't expect to play it on a dinner tray.

+1 for Friday though. Although no Sci-Fi theme the game is solid. 4 difficulty levels and end of game scoring for those who like to keep track.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
When I get some free time, I'll be posting pics/thoughts on the games I played, just in case peeps are interested in what to even expect in events like this and some cool ideas that are in the pipeline.

p.s., mind PMing me your list and comparing with mine? I tried to find you, but the "panda" people I met looked at me blankly when I asked if one of them were "Stooge"

That was probably Panda GM. They are a printer, and I know they were around.. though I somehow didn't run into them either.

I had 3-4 "off-site" playtests for games that weren't publicly available to play.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey, if I've got a super sweet board game KS, I'm allowed to talk about it but not link to it, correct?

Self promotion is not generally allowed.. given that you have 12 posts prior to this one I'm a bit more warry, but will ask the mod forum.

Broken Loose

Neo Member
Self promotion is not generally allowed.. given that you have 12 posts prior to this one I'm a bit more warry, but will ask the mod forum.

I totally respect that. Especially because I'm not even a board game regular on here; I usually frequent the fighting game threads.

A single post on a community forum I believe should be ok. Making a new thread is the spirit of the rule I believe.

That's really what I intended. It would be for you guys, anyway.

I mean, unless you guys don't like Space Alert. Then you probably wouldn't like my game.

Broken Loose

Neo Member
Why not!? :)

Real answer? I spend most of my time being a board game regular on other forums. Things get pretty hectic between here, Penny Arcade, Something Awful, and so on.

For what it's worth, I lurk here a lot. Just something I've picked up from SA where postcounts don't matter so much.

Real answer? I spend most of my time being a board game regular on other forums. Things get pretty hectic between here, Penny Arcade, Something Awful, and so on.

For what it's worth, I lurk here a lot. Just something I've picked up from SA where postcounts don't matter so much.

That's cool, we don't judge.
Unless you defend game salute.

I think we all spend way more time on bgg than here anyway.

Phthisis

I'm not into war games, nor am I the target audience.

Labyrinth is not really a war game (well, if you consider Twilight Struggle a war game, then I guess it is; personally I think of TS and Labyrinth as card-driven strategy games).

Anyway, Labyrinth is a fascinating design, so if you ever feel like branching out in genres, I highly recommend it :)

PittaGAF

Thanks I'll keep that in mind!!!

If you want a solo deck builder I'd say take a look at Friday: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/43570/friday

Probably also way cheaper than both of the games you are looking at.

Thanks!
I'll look into it but tbh the setting doesn't appeal me that much.
I'm looking for something scifi.

Phinor

Thanks!
I'll look into it but tbh the setting doesn't appeal me that much.
I'm looking for something scifi.

Individual opinions are always a bit tough for recommendations. Death Angel is a good example, many people don't enjoy it solo (or otherwise), but there was a "best solitaire board games" vote recently at BGG and Death Angel is number five on the list. The list is actually pretty good reference for future solitaire gaming purchases so might as well link it here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/182648/2014-peoples-choice-top-100-solo-games/page/4. That's the top 25 but you can obviously browse through the whole top 100.

Worth mentioning, that Friday is number two on the list, most people who try it enjoy it for what it is. I was actually planning to buy it sometime ago but availability is terrible.

Broken Loose

Neo Member
Yeah, a single post should be ok.

Just don't go spam the forum of I'll have to do work.

Slammin'!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa
4wQGeQR.png

Final Attack! is a team battle/survival game. Players pilot component machines of a combining anime Super Robot locked in combat against a gigantic, shape-shifting monster of the week.

The battle takes place over roughly 15-25 minutes. Together, you must fight, combine, survive, and use the Final Attack to win. If you succeed, the Earth is saved for now. If you fail, humanity will be crushed under the onslaught of an unknowable alien menace.

Okay, so it's a real-time cooperative worker placement card game with social elements. There's a lot to be said about "How can we improve on Space Alert 5 years after it?" or "What parts of the tabletop setting are games not currently using?" There's a Print & Play demo as one of the social media stretch goals, and I'm totally down to answer any questions.

hort

Neo Member
Slammin'!

Looks neat.

How does the experience change with 1-2 players vs 3-5? Is it like Pandemic where you simply have less people to do actions, or like XCOM where you have to take up extra roles?

The different stage rules on the enemies look like they could be fun if done well.

PittaGAF

Individual opinions are always a bit tough for recommendations. Death Angel is a good example, many people don't enjoy it solo (or otherwise), but there was a "best solitaire board games" vote recently at BGG and Death Angel is number five on the list. The list is actually pretty good reference for future solitaire gaming purchases so might as well link it here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/182648/2014-peoples-choice-top-100-solo-games/page/4. That's the top 25 but you can obviously browse through the whole top 100.

Worth mentioning, that Friday is number two on the list, most people who try it enjoy it for what it is. I was actually planning to buy it sometime ago but availability is terrible.

Terrific list I somehow missed. I just spent the last hour looking at every entry.
Thanks!

Broken Loose

Neo Member
Looks neat.

How does the experience change with 1-2 players vs 3-5? Is it like Pandemic where you simply have less people to do actions, or like XCOM where you have to take up extra roles?

The different stage rules on the enemies look like they could be fun if done well.

It's closer to XCOM. The game economy requires a certain amount of machines to be playable, and I really didn't want to have dummy players.

In 1P, you get 3 Drive Keys and triple the cards. In 2P, each player gets 2 Drive Keys and double the cards. This way, it's a seamless transition between player numbers. I'm also very happy to say that 1P in particular got a lot of focus to be playable, as many people I know only have Mage Knight to play solo.

Phinor

Coolstuff says they have 9 in stock.

Ok, fair enough, I should mention that I'm in Europe and we don't have anything like Coolstuff here (although "here" is a bit vague when talking about dozens of countries). It's not in stock anywhere outside of ordering from abroad with high shipping fees.

Anyway, the biggest board game store/franchise in Finland just raised their board game prices across the board, they are now asking MORE than RRP for board games, instead of asking RRP (which in itself would be almost blasphemy at Coolstuff/almost any other North American online store). Want X-Wing Miniatures core set? 44 euros etc. So that's the situation here. They do have the best selection out of all the stores here, but worst prices. There are few other online stores with better prices, but half the games (and the selection isn't always great) are always out of stock with very long delivery times.

Ok, fair enough, I should mention that I'm in Europe and we don't have anything like Coolstuff here (although "here" is a bit vague when talking about dozens of countries). It's not in stock anywhere outside of ordering from abroad with high shipping fees.

Anyway, the biggest board game store/franchise in Finland just raised their board game prices across the board, they are now asking MORE than RRP for board games, instead of asking RRP (which in itself would be almost blasphemy at Coolstuff/almost any other North American online store). Want X-Wing Miniatures core set? 44 euros etc. So that's the situation here. They do have the best selection out of all the stores here, but worst prices. There are few other online stores with better prices, but half the games (and the selection isn't always great) are always out of stock with very long delivery times.
Shipping for something like Friday should be pretty cheap though. Less than 10.

Slammin'!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tonyshine/final-attack-cooperative-real-time-super-robot-boa
4wQGeQR.png

Final Attack! is a team battle/survival game. Players pilot component machines of a combining anime Super Robot locked in combat against a gigantic, shape-shifting monster of the week.

The battle takes place over roughly 15-25 minutes. Together, you must fight, combine, survive, and use the Final Attack to win. If you succeed, the Earth is saved for now. If you fail, humanity will be crushed under the onslaught of an unknowable alien menace.

Okay, so it's a real-time cooperative worker placement card game with social elements. There's a lot to be said about "How can we improve on Space Alert 5 years after it?" or "What parts of the tabletop setting are games not currently using?" There's a Print & Play demo as one of the social media stretch goals, and I'm totally down to answer any questions.

While I liked Space Alert, found it always really tough to get new players to understand it, what kind of learning curve do you think this will have in comparison?

Broken Loose

Neo Member
While I liked Space Alert, found it always really tough to get new players to understand it, what kind of learning curve do you think this will have in comparison?

I've spent the last 5 years teaching Space Alert to dozens of crews. I went through 2 pads of character sheets in the New Frontier.

Final Attack! will feature a video tutorial series, consisting of a few shorter missions that ease you into the game concepts. The game itself doesn't require as much memorization as Space Alert, either; the "how-to" video on the page covers pretty much 85% of the game mechanics. The rest is just about matching icons and placing "workers."

I really wanted to make it so that people can dive in and know what they're doing and why. Yes, the game is hard (max difficulty was slightly harder than Double Actions Red Alert for a while until I toned it down), but it's not hard to learn.

Xero

Not my experience at all with DA. I find it a very solid solitaire game. Sure it can be fiddly but tokens are supplied to track the choices made. It may be more puzzley in solitaire mode but the shear randomness of the dice and gene stealer deck mess up your plans every turn.

On the contrary player elimination is high in this game so soloing it seems a good option. Expansions are out for this too if you want more pain.

For a card game the footprint is quite big. Don't expect to play it on a dinner tray.

I agree with this. Its a great solo game. I've probably played it more solo then with people. playing with multiple squads isn't very hard, and not knowing what my allies is doing isn't relevant with people I play with since, in a game like that we talk about what we should do as a team anyways.

Top Bottom