• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new boxarts GTA:SA(post them)

Gattsu25

Banned
trippingmartian:

prejudice

1 : injury or damage resulting from some judgment or action of another in disregard of one's rights; especially : detriment to one's legal rights or claims

2 a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

trippingmartian said:
Mob movies have a romantic charm to them that you will never see in an inner-city gang story. In most mob stories the character retain pieces of their heritage through food, relatives, wine and lots of traditions. That is what I mean by culture. Some may describe hip-hop and FUBU as culture, but I am not among those who do. It's pop culture. Not the same thing.

I'm sure the whole game doesn't take place in the ghetto.
It covers alot of territory including Las Vegas so there's probably some
mafia involvement too.

I think black kid working for the mafia would be a good plot. I'm not exactly into the whole
gansta theme either.

IJoel

Stereotypes galore!

Some people need to stop watching crime movies that make them think they know shit about any of the different crime scenes.

belgurdo

Banned
trippingmartian said:
Mob movies have a romantic charm to them that you will never see in an inner-city gang story. In most mob stories the character retain pieces of their heritage through food, relatives, wine and lots of traditions. That is what I mean by culture. Some may describe hip-hop and FUBU as culture, but I am not among those who do. It's pop culture. Not the same thing.

7509.gif
post haste

Gattsu25

Banned
If you read the Game Informer article, GTA:SA features a wide variety of music...not just rap
If you read the Game Informer article, GTA:SA covers more than just 'gangsta' crime (which is said to only be a fraction of the game)

IJoel said:
Stereotypes galore!

Some people need to stop watching crime movies that make them think they know shit about any of the different crime scenes.
For the last time we're not discussing REAL CRIME. We're talking about cinematics and video games. If you don't think that Boyz In Tha Hood is great for different reasons than The Godfather then you don't understand the conversation.

Im just wondering what new stuff can rockstar do on the rapidly aging ps2 hardware?
This game just seems like a Cash in to me.

then again the Spiderman game surprised me so maybe this will too.

Bob White

For the last time we're not discussing REAL CRIME. We're talking about cinematics and video games. If you don't think that Boyz In Tha Hood is great for different reasons than The Godfather then you don't understand the conversation.

Stop, you're shooting yourself in the face!

IJoel

trippingmartian said:

WTF? Did you just change the tone of your song?

IJoel said:
WTF? Did you just change the tone of your song?
No, I said before that I like Goodfellas better than New Jack City. I didn't say New Jack City sucked, it's just that I have a preference for one sub-genre over the other.

I'm just glad they're doing SOMETHING different.

At least this one looks to have some variety. There's nothing more samey to me than another mafia story (with wine and family gatherings).

Socreges

Banned
You can glamourize the mafia - it becomes very entertaining and immersive.

'Gangsta' wars, however... not so easily. Working your way up and among the ranks in such a setting doesn't get me the least bit excited.

That has NOTHING to do with the colour of the character's skin. Not a fucking thing. It's the nature of the story and environments. Not at all desirable to me. I think a lot of people feel the same way, but they have trouble expressing themselves. ie, Culture - not the best word to choose because people can easily refute a supposed Italian Mafia culture and raise one for the Ghetto.

Many black people on this board take the argument to heart. As if it's a condemnation of who they are or what their race may represent. I, personally, don't intend it to be that way whatsoever. I really shouldn't have to defend my opinion like this, but it's fair that I try and explain.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
trippingmartian said:

ok...... but you are talking about opinion... which doesn't make you right at all... Now I would never say Boyz in the hood was a better movie than the Godfather... but Boyz in tha hood does shine light to how people were living during the late 80s early 90s in south central... a much realer look than anything written by Mario.... (love his work)

I think that both gang cultures have their own romantic draw to them... just Mob life is looked at and wrtten as "the guys who were stepped on and pushed back".... while inner-city gangs are always looked at and written about as a problem....

Socreges said:
You can glamourize the mafia - it becomes very entertaining and immersive.

It's all about perception which people get from movies since hardly anyone here has experienced either culture. Just wait for some good movies glorifying inner city drug trade. Training Day comes close but it didn't focus too much on the criminal side.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
looking MAF? :p

I can't wait to play this, Hell, if I'm lucky playing it long enough will cure me of my inability to jump and bring about a capability to recognise a beat ;)

I really do hope they fully conquer the whole aiming deal though this time around, otherwise I may go for the PC version too.

Freeurn.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
trippingmartian said:
Funny, you can find tons of references to "cultural heritage" in your so-called "ghetto" stories as well, if that's the criteria you're offering up. The importance of family, especially when one lives in a war zone, traditions involving food and fellowship - I can run from Boyz N The Hood through Set It Off and find these elements. It's there for anyone to see, if you bother to look.
I shouldn't even have to explain my position
Eh?
but I feel that if I don't put it into plain English, that it will result in a ban of some sort. It's like the cold war in here. Pointing fingers and accusations.
You're the one who smeared the black experience as ghetto, buddy. When you point that finger, there's four more pointing right back at you. If you're feeling the heat, you should.

evil ways

Box looks cool, but now I'm wishing I would've kept my original copies of GTA III and Vice City instead of selling them on Ebay to get the Double Pack.

BTW, I read the game is using a modified shooting/aiming engine similar to Manhunt.

bishoptl said:
Funny, you can find tons of references to "cultural heritage" in your so-called "ghetto" stories as well, if that's the criteria you're offering up. The importance of family, especially when one lives in a war zone, traditions involving food and fellowship - I can run from Boyz N The Hood through Set It Off and find these elements. It's there for anyone to see, if you bother to look.

Eh?

You're the one who smeared the black experience as ghetto, buddy. When you point that finger, there's four more pointing right back at you. If you're feeling the heat, you should.
Show me the food wine and tradition! HAHA YOU LOSE

Socreges

Banned
I've mentioned in the past that I wasn't as interested in the game's setting and was 'attacked'. People immediately assume the worst. It's not as if my posts have ever given the impression that this has to do with race.
seismologist said:
It's all about perception which people get from movies since hardly anyone here has experienced either culture. Just wait for some good movies glorifying inner city drug trade. Training Day comes close but it didn't focus too much on the criminal side.
I acknowledged "not so easily", not "impossible". I don't expect Rockstar to do an exceptional job in placing the main character in such an environment and perpetuate a thrilling ride to the top amongst hoods and whatnot.

I've seen Boyz in tha Hood, Menace II Society, Dead Presidents, to name a few. Excellent and emotional movies. But the things that made those movies great are not the same that made Scarface or the Godfathers great. The struggle to rise to the top against the bosses. City of God, though. That can be regarded as a ghetto movie, for sure, and was partially about one man's rise to the top and a constant struggle between two gangs. Yet, I personally saw nothing there that would make for an engaging trip in a videogame.

nitewulf

the "culture" and "heritage" you are reffering to is sicilian, they were the poor immigrants from sicily, all they ate is pasta with tomato sauce, because they couldnt afford other things. this is not sophisticated italian culture. the italians you see in mob movies are mostly sicilian...because they were the ones who mostly migrated here.
and they were pretty "ghetto" baby...not exactly descendants of michaelangelo or da vinci.
actual italian legacy and culture is far more sophisticated and rich, you dont see that in mob movies.
so basically your arguement is sorta false, from my understanding of history anyway...

Blackace

trippingmartian said:
Show me the food wine and tradition! HAHA YOU LOSE

Today folks Bish showed us... race isn't a race.....

(Bish only showed us because he was faster with the mouse)

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Blackace said:
Today folks Bish showed us... race isn't a race.....

(Bish only showed us because he was faster with the mouse)

hahaha, I think about 4 of us probably had the 'user options' open there, I'd nearly done it 10 or so posts back, but thought that you all should get to play with the mouse before the hammer dropped :p

He was doomed regardless

Freeburn.

Blackace

Socreges said:
Because he went up against the MAN.

Naw that's not it at all... Who is to say...this culture is better than that culture... He wasn't banned until he started acting like someone's culture was better than another person's culture.. the men you are talking about just happened to be from the culture he was belittling

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
From what I'm understanding, Socreges (and I may be wrong), you don't care for the new GTA storyline either, but at least you can articulate your views without being 1) culturally and racially condescending and 2) a complete fuckwit.

Socreges

Banned
Blackace said:
Naw that's not it at all... Who is to say...this culture is better than that culture... He wasn't banned until he started acting like someone's culture was better than another person's culture.. the men you are talking about just happened to be from the culture he was belittling
I didn't mean for that to be taken seriously.

Suppose I should have winked.

Top Bottom