• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vectorman

Banned
They've already started with the "Book of X" pre phase material. Each book describes the characters situation post Plastic Beach and how they came back together for the new album. It also explains why Russel isn't massive anymore.
Yeah but they haven't gone beyond that. No new Pirate (or Murdoc) Radio, just the Jaguar thing, Noodle's insta and the books. I mean they did have to clear it up concerning the story dove off after RE storyboard and was never heard from again besides being referenced in the DoYaThing vid (Is that still even canon?). Fans of the cartoon band were naturally curious. It still remains to be seen if Gorillaz move ahead with a narrative again. It might help if they do another interactive website but who knows about that either. Curious to see what Jamie and co. have cooked up with the band. I wonder if this album's success might have people asking about a short film/movie again. You never know if a studio comes up to Jamie and Damon about another movie deal lol.

CRS

I don't see them doing anything interactive like a website ever again. Seeing how Damon and Jamie got burned with Plastic Beach by having it rushed and overall the lack of funds to run it, they'll probably stick to Spotify Playlist and Instagram slideshows

Gorillaz style: hip-hop, reggae, rock, some sub-genre, alternative, electronic, dance, World, another meaningless genre, Latin, orchestral, spoken word, big band, funk, jazz, bored of listing these genres, rap, trip-hop, pop, dub

Yeah but they haven't gone beyond that. No new Pirate (or Murdoc) Radio, just the Jaguar thing, Noodle's insta and the books. I mean they did have to clear it up concerning the story dove off after RE storyboard and was never heard from again besides being referenced in the DoYaThing vid (Is that still even canon?). Fans of the cartoon band were naturally curious. It still remains to be seen if Gorillaz move ahead with a narrative again. It might help if they do another interactive website but who knows about that either.
I say there's no way it doesn't have a story, especially since it has a very defined theme to it "what would you do if the world was ending" and I can see them exploring that further with each video and character and whatever else they put out
It's really hard to straight up say they're done with it, especially when they've already put out story content and you have to remember, the album was only officially an today, meaning from here on out they can ramp up stuff in the coming weeks pre and post album launch. But the story has been an integral part of the band and I really don't see it being left behind. Especially when this album has a concept and considering how upset Jamie got during phase 3 when he started to feel like his work was being shafted. As for whether or not Doyathang kid canon, I have my doubts, but if phase 4 is really going to go the route of taking influence and inspiration from Demon Days then I don't see why not bring back the flying island, which is the only canon breaking thing from the video. Them being evicted from London and taking to the states makes chronological sense.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Gorillaz style: hip-hop, reggae, rock, some sub-genre, alternative, electronic, dance, World, another meaningless genre, Latin, orchestral, spoken word, big band, funk, jazz, bored of listing these genres, rap, trip-hop, pop, dub

did they ever do anything with country? not my kinda style but I'd be surprised if they didn't

Reknoc

Deluxe vinyl ordered.

Shame Andromeda wasn't the first proper video so we could have a wave of "finally an andromeda that's well animated" posts and tweets.

Ran rp

if you had to choose one song to get as a sample of the album before it comes out which one would you guys choose?
Ascension

edit: Actually, the Saturnz Barz video has snippets of the other released tracks so just watch that. With that video and Hallelujah Money I think you'll get a good taste.

What is "Gorillaz Style"? Define that. Because I've only known it to be everything and anything. Go from Punk (the song) to Stylo. Pigeonhole them with a style.

I get what he's saying. It has a really dark and moody phase 1/phase 2 atmosphere mixed with hip hop and dub which is reminiscent of their early work. That's not to say they don't span many many genres, but Saturnz Barz really evokes that nostalgia for me and I don't think we've had any tracks like that since phase 2.
Yeah what Killer Queen said, basically. 'Style' wasn't the best word. Saturn Barz just feels like a throwback to Phase 1/2 stuff, more than the other tracks.

I adore how often Gorillaz changes style on each album.

The only one if these songs I like is Andromeda, and that's not mind blowing.

We Got the Power might just be the most irritating song Damon has recorded, and he's in Blur ffs.

Chuckie

I liked Ascenscion and Saturnz Barz.

I haven't listened to the Gorillaz since their first album. Really funny to see Noodle actually grew up.

SilentRob

So, am I seeing this right? The Deluxe Vinyl (77 bucks) that includes the Artbook is missing the bonus tracks from the Special Edition CD (15 bucks)?

So, if I want to get all songs and the artbook I have to buy...both?

That really sucks :/

EDIT: Urgh, the Vinyl with the art book is already sold out D: Damnit. Anybody know a place where I can still get one?

Haha, it wasn't a conscious decision. Maybe because it was because I started working (instead of uni) and stuff.

I kind of expected it to be a one time project and I forgot about them after that.

Will hang my head in shame now and fire up my Spotify

Fuck I wish I could listen to Demon Days for the first time again.

Applebite

I really warmed up to Saturnz Barz, I generally don't like Autotune (I just kinda consider it an instrument I don't like the sound of, kinda like how some people hate sax), and I didn't like it at all on first listen, but I think I kinda came around to it. All the new tracks are great though.

RaidenZR

Is everything sold out on the store? I logged in and can't see any items now. It looked like it was filled with choices a second ago.

EDIT: Great, the Deluxe vinyl is sold out. C'mon Gorillaz, it's been 6 years. And how long has this been up... less than a day? What the fuck kind of supply is that?
Anyone know if there are any other places online selling this stuff?

Need more Andromeda music.. more Damon and less special guests.

3 out of the 4 tracks are straight trash. Andromeda is definitely good tho.
To be fair, some of the very best Gorillaz songs featured a guest in some capacity, the question is how the song flows and how much time the guests get. As one of the few people that seems to love 'When November has come', let me take it as an example: MF Doom gets about 70% of the song for his rap, while Albarn/2D gets the entire hook for himself and it still fits because both parts are distinct and add to each other.

Meanwhile with Acension Albarn gets what, 10%? It just doesn't feel like a Gorillaz song, rather like a song by Vince where 2D gets a short cameo. And while I still relatively like SaturnBarz, hey should have gotten a completely different rapper. As is the Popcaan's voice just goes against the melody and pretty much every other rapper they ever made a collab with would have been a better choice. It's rather grating and it took me more than one listen to get used to it. Almost feels like Popcaan getting included feels like a token gesture to appeal to his fans (or the mainstream?).

Appleman

To be fair, some of the very best Gorillaz songs featured a guest in some capacity, the question is how the song flows and how much time the guests get. As one of the few people that seems to love 'When November has come', let me take it as an example: MF Doom gets about 70% of the song for his rap, while Albarn/2D gets the entire hook for himself and it still fits because both parts are distinct and add to each other.

Meanwhile with Acension Albarn gets what, 10%? It just doesn't feel like a Gorillaz song, rather like a song by Vince where 2D gets a short cameo. And while I still relatively like SaturnBarz, hey should have gotten a completely different rapper. As is the Popcaan's voice just goes against the melody and pretty much every other rapper they ever made a collab with would have been a better choice. It's rather grating and it took me more than one listen to get used to it. Almost feels like Popcaan getting included feels like a token gesture to appeal to his fans (or the mainstream?).

Wait, people don't like November has Come??

Ran rp

Gorillaz' input on their songs isn't limited to Albarn's singing. It's annoying how so many people keep judging the "authenticity" of Gorillaz' music by that.

nswjxv.png

Wait, people don't like November has Come??
I've seen it rank quite low on more than a few people's 'rate 'em from best to worst' lists. Guess that's par for the course when you have extreme genre shifts all the time, there will always be quite a few people that don't like any one song.

Is everything sold out on the store? I logged in and can't see any items now. It looked like it was filled with choices a second ago.

EDIT: Great, the Deluxe vinyl is sold out. C'mon Gorillaz, it's been 6 years. And how long has this been up... less than a day? What the fuck kind of supply is that?
Anyone know if there are any other places online selling this stuff?
Don't worry, it'll be back, don't forget to check your regional Amazon, the Gorillaz store and the Warner Bros store.

RaidenZR

Don't worry, it'll be back, don't forget to check your regional Amazon, the Gorillaz store and the Warner Bros store.

I have an alert set up for it when it's back in stock, but just kind of sucks. Why do you think Amazon is may get the Deluxe? Has that happened in the past?

Gorillaz

all 4 of them are starting to click a little bit more and with Power being the end of the album like that I'm getting a "modern" Demon Days vibe from the album even tho DD is already modernish I guess lol

Manu

Where can I read up on the story/lore so far? I remember people talking about a robot Noodle at some point? lol

I have an alert set up for it when it's back in stock, but just kind of sucks. Why do you think Amazon is may get the Deluxe? Has that happened in the past?
They had it yesterday on the US store. But trust me, it'll be back. It sold out like 4 to 5 times yesterday, they just kept restocking it. I felt similarly when I went to order it, it sold out in 40 minutes but was back not long after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom