• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gorillaz Album titled "Humanz" releases April 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

all 4 of them are starting to click a little bit more and with Power being the end of the album like that I'm getting a "modern" Demon Days vibe from the album even tho DD is already modernish I guess lol

Yeah, I'm getting more of a DD days vibe than Plastic Beach too. Which is crazy

Demon Days is top 5

AdanVC

I can't stop listening to Andromeda! It is so damn good. Reminds me of Empire Antes from Plastic Beach wich is one of my favorite Gorillaz song. The other 3 songs uploaded yesterday are really meh though :( I prefer electronic sounds with catchy beats and bad ass bass lines than average hip hop-ish songs.

Where can I read up on the story/lore so far? I remember people talking about a robot Noodle at some point? lol
Demon Days and before-Rise of the Ogre
Plastic Beach-Ehhhhh, watch the music videos including Rhinestone Eyes and the PB promo material.
Humanz-So far, just the books on Instagram

iavi

Damn. The Vinyl deluxe edition with the artbook is already sold out.

I did get my order in for the deluxe cd set, though. at the least

Rating Gorillaz songs by how much time 2D gets to sing sounds really weird to me, like the collaborative aspect of the music has always been there from the very beginning.

There are plenty of tracks without any Albarn vocals whatsoever, do they just get skipped entirely by these listeners?

RaidenZR

Rating Gorillaz songs by how much time 2D gets to sing sounds really weird to me, like the collaborative aspect of the music has always been there from the very beginning.

There are plenty of tracks without any Albarn vocals whatsoever, do they just get skipped entirely by these listeners?

Yeah, I don't get those comments. It's always been an ecclectic, sometimes experimental and trippy sound with guests from the get-go. It was never Blur 2.0 and that was never the intention Albarn had.

Gorillaz exists to be s collaborative and eclectic project, so every time someone says these don't sound Gorillaz I kind of assume they only listen to the singles.

Like them more and more as I listen to them. Definitely feels more Demon Days-esque with the darker vibes and gospel choir moments (Saturnz Barz feels almost like it could have been on DD) which certainly makes me happy. Plastic Beach grew on me a lot over the years, but I'm liking what we've heard from Humanz a lot more.

I have an alert set up for it when it's back in stock, but just kind of sucks. Why do you think Amazon is may get the Deluxe? Has that happened in the past?

Only item the store had listed as a Gorillaz.com exclusive was the signed edition. The deluxe vinyl isn't numbered or anything according to the description, so I do think it'll be available elsewhere.

24 hours later, and Saturnz Barz is absolutely my favorite of the four tracks from yesterday. Was happy to see them pop up on Google Play Music yesterday evening, as I can just set it repeat forever now. I'd never heard of Popcaan before, but I dig him.

hughesta

Banned
I guess I need to hear the other 3 songs more. I only listened them once. Andromeda however... Like 50 times already, lol. It's just too good!
yeah, don't give up if you don't like em right away! Gorillaz have a knack for earworms that you need to let wriggle around for a bit.

Fjordson

*shrug* The songs with Damon are more enjoyable for me. Just personal taste.

And I don't know if I'd say there are "plenty" of tracks without Damon. It happens more recently, but I can only think of two across the first two records combined.

I obviously love the collaboration aspect of Gorillaz, but I think Damon's singing is the glue that holds it all together and adds the great sort of melancholy/weary aspect that makes their brand of pop music unique.

Plastic Beach doubled down on reducing his vocal presence and embracing a brighter sound, which I think ended up hurting the album.

It's encouraging to hear him on all four of these tracks imo. He doesn't need to hog the song, but his presence adds to them.

I obviously love the collaboration aspect of Gorillaz, but I think Damon's singing is the glue that holds it all together and adds the great sort of melancholy/weary aspect that makes their brand of pop music unique.

Plastic Beach doubled down on reducing his vocal presence and embracing a brighter sound, which I think ended up hurting the album.

It's encouraging to hear him on all four of these tracks imo. He doesn't need to hog the song, but his presence adds to them.

That's why Melancholy Hill and Empire Ants are so good, because if Damon.

jtan

First heard Saturnz Barz and hated it. But listened to it a couple times more and I really like it. I definitely think it's Ascension then tie between Andromeda and Saturnz Barz (though if I had to choose, Andromeda edges it out and takes #2) and then We got the power last.

So excited for this album.

Ballistik

Andromeda was an instant like for me, but I'm really surprised at my initial reaction to Saturnz Barz and what I think of it today. Starting to dig it more.

IceMarker

Just like most Gorillaz, the more you listen the more you love it!

So glad they are back, in order for me:

1. Ascension
2. Saturnz Barz
3. Andromeda
4. We Got The Power

These are really bloody good! The order for me so far is;

1. Saturnz Bars (that hook is amazing, all my loofffeee!)
2. Ascenion
3. Andromeda
4. We Got The Power

convo

I have been slacking on the Gorillaz lore for a while. I don't even know what happened with plastic beach concluding. I remember being desperate about finding missing or unreleased tracks but it proved hard to accept for teenage me that it was not gonna happen. Alternate versions for every song seems super exciting. Love Noodle's design in the Saturnz video and glad we get more art for the band.

Man, I couldn't listen to We Got the Power today. Like the song on it's own and it's a fantastic closer, but after the trifecta of Ascension, Andromeda, and Saturnz Barz...nope, not feeling it.

Ran rp

since when could you have animated profile pics on facebook...

Man, I couldn't listen to We Got the Power today. Like the song on it's own and it's a fantastic closer, but after the trifecta of Ascension, Andromeda, and Saturnz Barz...nope, not feeling it.
plays well after hallelujah money

DocSeuss

Ascension just isn't working for me at all. Just feels like mediocre shit I could hear from anyone else.

Only one I keep listening to is Saturnz Barz.

The secret concert is being streamed on their Facebook page. I think it started in the last 10 or so minutes. Playing "Momentz" now, I think?

Praying, praying there are a few good songs today...

PSY・S;232707532 said:
since when could you have animated profile pics on facebook...

plays well after hallelujah money

It does but still feels like a closer, I just want to keep jamming to the other 3

I preordered the CD and the vinyl from Amazon but didnt see anything about a deluxe version with an art book. Is it only available from their site?

Deft Beck

My ranking of the songs so far:

1.) We Got The Power
2.) Andromeda
3.) Ascension
4.) Saturnz Barz

I dunno, I just like the peppy vibe of WGTP. Andromeda reminded me a lot of Plastic Beach. Ascension grew on me after a couple of listen. Saturnz Barz isn't doing a lot for me because it's hard to tell what Popcaan is saying most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom