• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

Kite

I'm going to be reading the reactions in this thread over the next few weeks with glee!
0AB3ch7.gif

Will the outcries be close to the Red Wedding reactions in GoT? Mah poor head :eek:(

yami4ct

I'm going to be reading the reactions in this thread over the next few weeks with glee!
[IMhttp://i.imgur.com/0AB3ch7.gif[/IMG]
Will the outcries be close to the Red Wedding reactions in GoT? Mah poor head :eek:(
Me too. These next few episodes are going to be fun. Heck, the whole series is going to be fun to see the reactions to here on out.

As for the reactions, I don't think they'll be close to the red wedding. I don't think they'll even be close to the manga. I think the way they introduced the character versus the manga will hurt the impact.

Jigolo

Very slow paced. Only covered 1/2 a chapter but it was still a good episode. The significance of this episode, man.

Gon was about to go SSJ. The man showed up (Netero). I can't wait to see what 2 assassins Netero is talking about.
And Kite :(

And it looks like next week we will see another Royal Guard. Fuck this is the first anime series where I honestly can't wait to see the upcoming weeks episode. This arc is just incredible.

While I more or less figured what was going to happen due to people saying stuff like, "Wait till you see what happens to X!" a few pages back, I am loving this arc right now. 20 minutes a week isn't enough to satiate me, though. :( I'm becoming as voracious as the Queen.

yami4ct

So interested to get anime-only people's reactions to this week's episode, but I'm going to give it a few days for more people to watch before I dive into specific questions.

hobz360

Damn, what an episode!

Episode 85 spoiler:
I can't believe they animated that scene and actually showed Kite's head

Soriku

Oh man.
I actually knew what was going to happen here but shieeeet.
Gon is too optimistic, lol :(

How was a Chimera Ant like Pitou even created? An aura worse than Illumi (who is a pretty scary guy) and Hisoka, and even above Netero and the other guys? Was there a human that strong on NGL? But if there was it'd be surprising if they got killed by Ants who didn't even know Nen by that point.

Looks like a new Royal Guard appears next episode, nice.

Oh man.
I actually knew what was going to happen here but shieeeet.
Gon is too optimistic, lol :(

How was a Chimera Ant like Pitou even created? An aura worse than Illumi (who is a pretty scary guy) and Hisoka, and even above Netero and the other guys? Was there a human that strong on NGL? But if there was it'd be surprising if they got killed by Ants who didn't even know Nen by that point.

Looks like a new Royal Guard appears next episode, nice.

I figured the Royal Guard were a bigger combination of people compared to the other ants. How they can be born with nen is another question though, since the queen hadn't eaten any nen-users at the time.

yami4ct

Well, the answer to that is kinda spoilery.

In any case this episode was very well done. Morel <3.

Wait, wait. There's an answer at all to this? If so, I totally forgot. I don't remember any mention of how Royal Guard are born with Nen. I suppose it really has been forever since I've read Hiatus x Hiatus. Togashi needs to get back on that shit soon.

Lulubop

Not a direct answer, but a good enough one for me.

In any case the next episodes looks to cover a decent amount of material.

bigkrev

Fucked x Fucked 85

Well, while I predicted this was going to happen, it didn't make it any less shocking. The way they didn't show how it happened was great- we don't know how monstrous Pitou really is.

Upside: Best character in the series (Bisky) is back next week!

I figured the Royal Guard were a bigger combination of people compared to the other ants. How they can be born with nen is another question though, since the queen hadn't eaten any nen-users at the time.

Nen is a thing all humans have, which means all human based ants have it, therefore, if the ants incorporate the strongest traits of the species they consumed, the strongest of them all being able to display Nen by themselves makes perfect sense to me personally.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck.

I wish I could talk about last episode here, but you guys post manga spoilers all the time.

Moaradin

EP 85 SPOILERS

Can't believe they offed Kite so quickly. And I was really starting to like his character. Is he explored more in depth in the manga or original anime?

If anything the anime gave him more time not counting the cutting of his appearance in the first chapter that we only saw as a flashback here and was actually a little different.

fertygo

Goddamn man, what a episode.

Offscreen kill never had this much impact

This arc..

And yeah I wish this thread can be more fun without spoiler.

Episode 85 spoilers

I wish they had shown Kite's fight, I pretty much guessed he was a dead man as soon as they started talking about his power level, poor Kite :(

Good to see Bisky is back next episode though, wonder what new tricks the team will learn!

Shouta

Nen is a thing all humans have, which means all human based ants have it, therefore, if the ants incorporate the strongest traits of the species they consumed, the strongest of them all being able to display Nen by themselves makes perfect sense to me personally.

Correct. Nen is innate to all humans (as discussed by Wing during the Arena arc). Human-based ants have the traits of humans thus are able to use it. They already showed what happened with Pokkle? Then you have the answer...

vareon

No it covered about a chapter and three quarters.

Also finally the best character enters the anime!

Can't wait to see her. My memory of her is fuzzy because she was one of the characters that suffered a lot due to the crappy drawings and hiatus.

dan2026

Can't wait to see her. My memory of her is fuzzy because she was one of the characters that suffered a lot due to the crappy drawings and hiatus.
Manga spoiler but its not important.

Her
date with Gon
is one of the funniest parts of the whole manga.

Jigolo

Question: Did Bee girl know nen? or anyone else from Pokkle's crew? Those are the people I assumed Neferpitou got it from since birth.

You could say that. Fuck, that was aggravating.

Didn't care for the way they adapted the "one big moment" either.
It's supposed to be lightning fast! Fuck you, anime staff!

Yeah, I thought it was slow but amazing. I thought they did all the scenes well. Including the last scene.

Naxx

Damn Damn Damn that was awesome ep. I really like this anime! I am no manga reader. This show doesn't fool around. Wish attack on titan went back to it's awesome pace.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I feel Hunter x Hunter has the better pace but Attack on Titan the better plot at the moment. I love how quickly Hunter moves, but I just don't find the Chimera Ants particularly compelling antagonists. In contrast, I have so many theories about the Titan mythos, but the show moves so slowly.

Thoughts on this ep:

From the moment they started discussing Kite's power level and giving him an emotional chat with Gon, it was obvious he was a goner, so that was a bit meh. More effort to avoid cliches could have happened there. I still dislike this Neferpitou - her character design is poor and she doesn't come across as menacing. In order to make her so, they just jump the shark with the whole "malice worse than Illumi and Hisoka" thing. I really didn't like that, it weakened both Illumi and Hisoka as potential end-game bosses for Gon and Killua respectively. Still finding the Chimera Ants pretty boring. They just feel so, well, generic monster-y. The political intrigue and backstory of the Auction arc was amazing, but since then been losing my like for this series. Greed Island was soso, but now I really am just in it for the action scenes, everything else is meh.

I must say the final two minutes of the episode (ignoring one part there) was really the highlight of the whole arc for me and really returned to one of the best parts of Greed Island. I wonder if we'll get more moments. It made up for the really terrible portion of this episode and much of the arc so far, highlighting the single best aspect of Togashi's writing and showing that he can, at times, be a master at storytelling. If only he displayed this more often instead of so inconsistently over the course of a single episode.

The beginning bringing us up to a high point of their reflection over their past and people they met who formed them into who they are like Wing-san and receiving newfound hope and determination for challenges at hand, worked well with the moments of the end with Killua and Gon wanting to get stronger and stay side by side with each other as their own personal lights in their lives, faces shining brightly, stirring up new feelings and friendship. Then the way the visuals kind of softened making it feel special really was good.
. Im just glad HxH got good again.

And finally an actually really good chimera ant design.

upandaway

I thought it was freaking amazing. Whoa :eek:
Post-fight scene with Killua was pretty amazing too. You know how crazy strong Netero's group is just by that intro.

To anyone who didn't have a chance to, I recommend to check out chapters 198-199 (they're this episode) in the manga. I really, REALLY like the art and style in the manga, it's worth seeing even after watching the episode. Pitou's eyes are the stuff of nightmares.
aGqS9WF.png

"Using Nen" just means controlling your shoko, and it's not necessary to have a catalyst to achieve that. If Zushi could do it without any in.. I think it was a few months? Then it's not a stretch that Pitou can do it in minutes.

Holy fuck.

I wish I could talk about last episode here, but you guys post manga spoilers all the time.
I'll be honest, any anime-only watchers should flat out avoid the thread at this point. I'd be long gone if I were in the same position.

pardon my ignorance but how does Hunter X Hunter pass for a shonen sometimes anyways? the violence alone in the manga is borderline seinen,no?

Demographic is kind of meaningless when it comes to what you can and can't show. There are some REALLY gory shounen out there that far surpasses HxH in that department. Read Shigurui or Chaosic Rune.

Top Bottom