• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hunter x Hunter Anime |OT| of Hunters and adventure and NO MANGA SPOILERS

upandaway

I need to go back and rewatch because I still don't understand how his shit works. Could he change his condition thing to Ants instead of Spiders if he wanted?
Here's the breakdown

The condition that Kurapika placed on Chain Jail (and maybe the index finger chain?), was that he can't use it on anyone besides the Spiders. This is a normal vow to himself that "proves" his determination to himself, and with how Nen works, that's what makes his Nen stronger. If he breaks this condition, it just means his determination wasn't as strong as he claimed, which can make his Nen a lot weaker or even remove it. If he adds an asterisk (that he can also use it against the ants) to this condition, it will cause a far lesser but similar weakening effect.
Then Kurapika used his own Judgement Chain to set another condition on himself, that if he breaks the above condition, he will die. This made his Nen a whole lot stronger, and it's something he can never lift or change.

Jigolo

That was part of Kurapika's calculations though. He deserves full credit for it.
Yeah i know it was all part of his plan but the point I was trying to make was how crucial knowing vs not knowing nens abilities can be a huge advantage/disadvantage.

Another example of this would be Kastro vs Hisoka. At the start Hisoka was getting hammered ( I know he wasn't trying). But as soon as he found out about the double it was all over.

yami4ct

Here's the breakdown

The condition that Kurapika placed on Chain Jail (and maybe the index finger chain?), was that he can't use it on anyone besides the Spiders. This is a normal vow to himself that "proves" his determination to himself, and with how Nen works, that's what makes his Nen stronger. If he breaks this condition, it just means his determination wasn't as strong as he claimed, which can make his Nen a lot weaker or even remove it. If he adds an asterisk (that he can also use it against the ants) to this condition, it will cause a far lesser but similar weakening effect.
Then Kurapika used his own Judgement Chain to set another condition on himself, that if he breaks the above condition, he will die. This made his Nen a whole lot stronger, and it's something he can never lift or change.

Well, with the help of a Nen Remover (Exorcist), he could in fact remove the judgement chain at the cost of severely weakening his power. No reason why he'd want to do it, but theoretically it's possible. Same reason it's possible that Chrollo can (and most likely will) get the use of his Nen back.

upandaway

Well, with the help of a Nen Remover (Exorcist), he could in fact remove the judgement chain at the cost of severely weakening his power. No reason why he'd want to do it, but theoretically it's possible. Same reason it's possible that Chrollo can (and will) get the use of his Nen back.
I assume if he did that, he'd flat out lose all his Nen then and there, no half way about it.
The difference between the first and second rules is that with the first, he can always change it as a one-time bail with adding another rule like "this is the only time I will ever change this rule" to minimize the effect.
If like you say, he removes the hardcoded rule with a Nen Remover, at that point he admits he could never again make a rule that he's guaranteed to uphold. Even if he puts another chain on something like "this is the only time I will ever change this rule", he can just remove that with a Nen Remover again.

yami4ct

I assume if he did that, he'd flat out lose all his Nen then and there, no half way about it.
The difference between the first and second rules is that with the first, he can always change it as a one-time bail with adding another rule like "this is the only time I will ever change this rule" to minimize the effect.
If like you say, he removes the hardcoded rule with a Nen Remover, at that point he admits he could never again make a rule that he's guaranteed to uphold. Even if he puts another chain on something like "this is the only time I will ever change this rule", he can just remove that with a Nen Remover again.

I don't think he'd lose all his nen, he'd just lose any powered up techniques. As you say, breaking a vow like that would prevent any future vows. I assume he'd still have his base level nen. No reason it would seal all his nen completely.

Which leads to an interesting question. What if the spiders get a Nen exorcist on their side, kidnap Kurapika and forcefully remove his nen chain. I assume his powers would revert, but since he didn't undo the vow on his own accord, he wouldn't be prevented from future vows. Just a guess, though.

Jigolo

I don't think he'd lose all his nen, he'd just lose any powered up techniques. As you say, breaking a vow like that would prevent any future vows. I assume he'd still have his base level nen. No reason it would seal all his nen completely.

Which leads to an interesting question. What if the spiders get a Nen exorcist on their side, kidnap Kurapika and forcefully remove his nen chain. I assume his powers would revert, but since he didn't undo the vow on his own accord, he wouldn't be prevented from future vows. Just a guess, though.

I wouldn't mind seeing this actually.

Kurapika gets captured the spider > exorcist removes condition thus weakening him > they then attempt to kill him > Gon, Killua, Leorio come to the rescue

something along those lines. I'm sure togashi could make it a million times better.

yami4ct

I wouldn't mind seeing this actually.

Kurapika gets captured the spider > exorcist removes condition thus weakening him > they then attempt to kill him > Gon, Killua, Leorio come to the rescue

something along those lines. I'm sure togashi could make it a million times better.

Togashi would have to introduce a wrinkle in order for it to make sense that the Spiders don't just kill him outright. It'd have to be like a part of an exchange of prisoners scenario, where Spiders have a weakend Kurapika under their control but Gon's crew have something valuable to them that they need back.

upandaway

I was about to say, they'd just attempt to kill him at that point instead of going through the trouble!

I guess it wouldn't change too much because he would still have his first condition without any backlash from his second one being removed (it could just go back to how it was before he made it). And if Kurapika's in any position to not get killed by them immediately, he's in a position to put the condition on again, it takes like a second.

yami4ct

I was about to say, they'd just attempt to kill him at that point instead of going through the trouble!

I guess it wouldn't change too much because he would still have his first condition without any backlash from his second one being removed (it could just go back to how it was before he made it). And if Kurapika's in any position to not get killed by them immediately, he's in a position to put the condition on again, it takes like a second.

Unless his hands are unusable, right? The condition requires use of his judgement chain, which he'd need to use his hands for that.

Actually, if Kurapika was part of some exchange, cutting of his hands sounds like exactly something the spiders would do so he can't fight back after he's released. It'd be a more violent version of what Kurapika did to Chrollo.

I also think there's some interesting things with conditions that just aren't quite clear yet. Wouldn't be surprised if Togashi pulled some crazy stuff the next time Kurapika and the Spiders meet. Would be just like him to have a tables are turned scenario where now Kurapika has no nen.

Arken2121

Latest episode made me sad.

Really surprised kite lost, one would think with his ability he would have won against a creature with zero knowledge of nen.

Edit: I'm also curious how strong the reinforcements are in comparison.

Lulubop

If Kurapika made his vow against the Ants, rather than the Genei it'd be interesting to see. Emperor time is such a ridiculous ability, that with some planning I imagine he'd be better than most. I don't think he has the reflexes or durability to hang with Pitou for long however.

SamVimes

What everyone (?) is apparently forgetting here is that the Genei is a really small organization compared to the ants, his power would be much weaker if the vowed to use it only against them.

AB12

Jairo related spoiler's
am wondering why the anime did Jairo's background story so soon. It was cool but in the manga it seems that he went on to do his own thing and left the ants behind.

LuffyZoro

What everyone (?) is apparently forgetting here is that the Genei is a really small organization compared to the ants, his power would be much weaker if the vowed to use it only against them.

Maybe if he vowed to only use it on the Squadron Leaders or above?

Arken2121

I really hope Gon and Killua destroy these bastards(eventually). Loved it when
Gon powers up, ready for a fight

These guys are gonna go super sayian on dem ants.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Gon is totally a Gohan alt, for the record.

EDIT: And the Chimera Ants are pretty Cell, so hopefully we get some sweet quasi-SSJ2 shit.

Radec

There's also a limit on how much power Kurapika can get even with 100% on all types of Nen. Lucifer might edge him in the amount of Aura. Let alone the Royal Guards and the King.

vareon

But Uvo used his 100% of his power and abilities during that fight.

He's the strongest of all Ryodan in brute strength so no one can break Kurapika's Chains if they got a hold on any members. Then they won't be able to use their nen as well.

Sure Uvo might have used En to see Kurapika's chains before it captures him but what can he do to someone who takes his Nuclear fist and still recovers easily ?

Uvo is outclassed in every way by Kurapika.

As for the rest, I think these guys would have died too (I remember them being mentioned):

-Franklin
-Machi
-Shalnark
-Pakunoda
-Kortopi
-Shizuku

In a one-on-one fight, Kurapika gains a huge advantage over the spiders since his whole ability is designed to fight them. But Kurapika saw Uvogin fight for some time before his own fight, not to mention Uvo was already poisoned, and had to be taken away from his comrades. Kurapika's prep time did a great job in further strengthening his advantage. Without prep time he'd have a much harder time.

LuffyZoro

In a one-on-one fight, Kurapika gains a huge advantage over the spiders since his whole ability is designed to fight them. But Kurapika saw Uvogin fight for some time before his own fight, not to mention Uvo was already poisoned, and had to be taken away from his comrades. Kurapika's prep time did a great job in further strengthening his advantage. Without prep time he'd have a much harder time.

So basically Kurapika is Batman.

Radec

Wasn't Uvo fully recovered though? He pissed it all away.

Last I've checked Uvo didn't used anything he had shown while fighting those mafia creatures on his fight with Kurapika.

OmegaX

Jairo related spoiler's
am wondering why the anime did Jairo's background story so soon. It was cool but in the manga it seems that he went on to do his own thing and left the ants behind.

Because the manga didn't show how Gyro was killed in the caves by that centaur-looking ant so at that point there was no reason to introduce him to the story. This arc is progressing much slower than the previous arcs because they are adding lots of scenes that were left implied in the manga.

icy_eagle

pardon my ignorance but how does Hunter X Hunter pass for a shonen sometimes anyways? the violence alone in the manga is borderline seinen,no?

This is also shounen
bleach501_11-panel.jpg

shounen / seinen aren't really a age rating system like esrb or whatever. They're different genres/demograpichs; shounen is a lot of hot-bloodedness and the power of friendship / determination etc. seinen are usually about more 'mature' themes, for the lack of a better word, and aren't necessarily gorier.

Rootbeer

Banned

WHAT! Holy crap yes :)
Funny though, a lot of the new music they've been using this arc seem to be pulled from the phantom rouge OST... i hope there's a lot more than just that. But yeah we are still early in the arc.

I was reeeaaally hoping that after the superdark turn last ep we'd see new opening or ending music. I realize it's a bit early for that but it's warranted. Oh well. I do like the music.

Oh and my figma Gon and Killua will be here in days! Excite!

Soriku

WHAT! Holy crap yes :)
Funny though, a lot of the new music they've been using this arc seem to be pulled from the phantom rouge OST... i hope there's a lot more than just that. But yeah we are still early in the arc.

I was reeeaaally hoping that after the superdark turn last ep we'd see new opening or ending music. I realize it's a bit early for that but it's warranted. Oh well. I do like the music.

Oh and my figma Gon and Killua will be here in days! Excite!

They haven't changed the opening song since the beginning of this series lolz.

Rootbeer

Banned
They haven't changed the opening song since the beginning of this series lolz.

They have so! Just... the change was very minor :p compare ep 1 to ep 85 and see for yourself! I believe it's the same song just a different part of the song, but I noticed the difference when the change happened. I think the change happened at the beginning of arc 2. They just haven't changed it for any subsequent arcs.

Soriku

Episode 86

Good ep.

-Palm is terrifying.

-Bisky, hell yeah.

-Knuckle is hilarious.

-
Netero admitting that Pitou is stronger than him. Dude better go train lol.

-Morel's powers are kinda interesting.

-
So Pitou is going to develop some weirdo revival powers? Also I thought Kite had his head cut off...they reattached it or something?

-
Pouf's mind reading ability sounds problematic.

Rootbeer

Banned
Original series is so good (until Greed Island) that I really have no interest in this remake. Maybe until it starts covering material I haven't seen yet.
Yo, EviLore, now's the time man!

Anyway, I loved the ep! So many character introductions. Really setting the stage.

BTW Knuckle is awesome. So is morel though.

knuckle-hxh.jpg

tumblr_mp6q2pwXIn1svhpylo1_500.jpg

QMXBq8o.png

tumblr_mp6zdaMN081qihe12o2_500.gif

Killua is pretty stylish, loved his outfit. He ought to share some with Gon instead of always sporting those green shorts (which art bad but change is always good). The episode was a blast and just back to what really makes hxh fun and entertaining.

Shiapouf is amazing and needs tons of screentime. I want more ants with such good design there.

It has to be impossible for Netero and crew to be weaker than Neferpitou and co. They have years of experience while the ants just have what, a few weeks. Additionally isnt he like the strongest nen user in the world, he is chairman afterall. Ill just imagine he was being humble and modest about his own strenght in front of his peers.

upandaway

Haha oh man, Knuckle is amazing. Bisky's great to have back too.

It has to be impossible for Netero and crew to be weaker than Neferpitou and co. They have years of experience while the ants just have what, a few weeks. Additionally isnt he like the strongest nen user in the world, he is chairman afterall. Ill just imagine he was being humble and modest about his own strenght in front of his peers.
You should know that in HxH they love to throw power levels around just to give context to things like strategies, reasons and thought conclusions, not as a pure "outcome of this vs this" metric. And there's no reason to think Netero wasn't being honest there.

zero_suit

You should know that in HxH they love to throw power levels around just to give context to things like strategies, reasons and thought conclusions, not as a pure "outcome of this vs this" metric. And there's no reason to think Netero wasn't being honest there.

Yeah, Hunter x Hunter isn't DBZ or Bleach.

Cwarrior

Hunter x hunter 85

This what Love about hunter x hunter and one piece when shit gets bad, the power of friendship or shounen heartoo isn't going to help you it's time to run like a bitch or get your ass beat.

Gon gives a reassuring speech that
kit is alive

Cut to
kite's decapitated head being stroked by pitou

Daaaaaaaaam!!!!!

HxH 86

Let's get high
tumblr_mp6zdaMN081qihe12o2_500.gif

I was wondering what he was carrying around I thought it was going to be some big weapon like an axe or mace looks like it was just his smoking pipe,it's always unconventional with togashi.

Averon

Yeah, Hunter x Hunter isn't DBZ or Bleach.

Yes. This goes back to what Morel said to Killua. A nen fight is unpredictable, and you can't judge an outcome of a fight based purely on nen aura. Strategy and specific nen abilities play a significant role on the outcome.

This one one reason is why I love HxH. The typical "power level" troupes you see in shounen series is turned on its head in HxH.

Wiseblade

So I hear. I'll jump in. Just need to decide whether to rewatch the original series and switch over to the new one at Greed Island, or try the new one from the beginning.

I started watching the new one at the end of the exam arc and thought it was around equal to the 1999 show. It has a lighter tone but I think the different approach made treading the same ground for a third time more tolerable.

Jigolo

Bisky coming back reminded me..... Going back to GI, why didn't Bisky fight Genthru? Or better yet why didn't she destroy his whole crew? Was it part of their training or something

NomarTyme

Bisky coming back reminded me..... Going back to GI, why didn't Bisky fight Genthru? Or better yet why didn't she destroy his whole crew? Was it part of their training or something

I guess.
Did she use her massaging tech on Gon/Killua on Greed island? anybody?

Top Bottom