• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Jersey Governor McGreevey To Resign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hournda

Wow, that's a surprise. I live in NJ and have heard of the corruption things but never thought they were really a big deal.

Triumph

Banned
That little toad is getting off easy, trust me. He will leave office and go on the lecture circuit, where his "Using State Funds to pay for Tranny Hookers and Bribes: Corruption and Me" speech will be a big hit.

Ripclawe

Banned
WABC says his office denies he is resigning. But the rumor is he will discuss some allegations made by a former Aide. It could be a sexual harrassment suit.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I would fucking love to see this guy gone. He's doing so many awful things to this state that it's just sickening.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently there a bunch of different rumors and stories about what is going on. The one thing that IS true is that McGreevey will make a special announcement at the statehouse in 30 minutes.

I pray that this news is true, McGreevey is a fucking joke of a governor! I voted for the other guy, Bret Schundler, and couldn't believe how badly he lost to "McGreedy" and his empty promises.

All he does is go on TV and talk about how much better things are at the DMV/MVC, even though when I had to get a new lisence there last month it took almost 4 hours (2:30-6:30pm) to get properly processed.

New Jersey has a bad rep but when it comes to corrupt politicains and bad drivers it is deserved.

Dan

Beyond the scandals with him and his donors and all that crap there are a lot of other things that piss me off about him. Like his borrowing $2.7 billion or whatever it came out to in order to balance the budget. And borrowing from where? The future. Thankfully it was deemed unconstitutional, but he's being allowed to do it just this once, which is one of the most ridiculous rulings I've ever heard. Then there's his deal with retroactively preventing public school budgets from increasing much at all year over year based on last year's budgets, which will apparently prevent my former district from using already saved funds for much-needed repairs to my old high school. It's just bullshit.

Heh, yeah, those DMV ads piss me off too. It's one thing to try and say "hey, we made some changes" and whatnot, but that could be done in a far cheaper mailing or something. The ads are just blatantly political ads plugging himself, not even his administration or general New Jersey government. They're all about getting his face out there and making him seem good at the expense of taxpayers.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, WTF is McGreevey babbling about? Jesus.

WTF?!?! THIS IS JUST TO ANNOUNCE HE'S GAY?!?!

AND HAD A GAY ADULTEROUS AFFAIR?!?!?!

WTF?!?!

Dan

He's surely resigning because he has more skeletons in his closet that he doesn't want exposed, although it'd make more sense to make it effective immediately. He now has three four months where he's going to be worthless as a state leader and he's going to be facing all kinds of intense scrutiny over his past and future.

What a bastard for making his resignation effective after the presidential election though. What a political move to not only try and maintain all the Kerry love in NJ but also to prevent a new election until late 2005 as normal and maintain a democratic governorship until then.

so i found out he had an affair with the new jersey homeland security advisor that he appointed... wtf!?

well, at least now it makes sense, at least he's not resigning because he's gay...

Gattsu25

Banned
Kuroyume said:
I'm going to drop out of college... BECAUSE I'M GAY!*

*not really gay or dropping out

agreed

since when was being gay a reason to drop out of anything? I wonder what his real motivation is...or if he really believes that being gay is a reason to quit...if so...wtf?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it sounds like there was about to be a big scandal (maybe a lawsuit) and part of it would be the revelation that he was gay. I think this was a preemptive move to defuse the scnadal before it happened.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Well, they don't call it the Garden State for nothing.

Gattsu25

Banned
Is he or the homeland security guy married? if not I don't see the scandal...unless politicians are only allowed post-marital sex (spelling?)

Dan

No, the real scandal is that he brought over a man from Israel, gave him a government job, exaggerated his anti-terrorism credentials to try and get him the Homeland Security job and then gave him a job with no real duties as his personal aide for $110,000 a year. All because he was having an affair with this guy. "Let me get him a cushy government job as my aide with no explicit duties so that I can get some male action whenever I want." He even paid for the paperwork and all that that had to be done in order to get him here. The fact that he's gay is irrelevant. The person could have been a woman and it'd be just as bad, except minus the shock value that gets the masses to pay attention.

Dan

That still wouldn't change the fact that he paid to have the person come over to the US and gave him cushy government jobs without background checks.

Oh, and McGreevey's been married twice, he has a daughter from each marriage.

Dilbert

capt.njbp20208122100.nj_governor_njbp202.jpg

That is SOOOO begging to be turned into an "owned" picture...

Yeah the guy was a shitty governor, but don't put all the budget problems at his door. You can thank Christine Todd Whitman for getting us in this mess in the first place.

Dan

Certainly, but borrowing $2.7 billion from the future is only going to further put the state into budget problems down the line. It would save his ass now, but paying that off again would be for another governor to deal with.

Damn... there were a bunch of rumors about a closeted gay governor with a sex scandal about to break out a few months ago. They were about a different governor, apparently, but it's still an odd coincidence.

Gattsu25 said:
agreed

since when was being gay a reason to drop out of anything? I wonder what his real motivation is...or if he really believes that being gay is a reason to quit...if so...wtf?

How about having an affair?

Prospero

So, after having been away from a computer for three hours, I sat down in front of the terminal and thought, "Time to go to the New York Times to see what happened to McGreevey!"

Then I thought, "Why don't I go to the GAF thread first?" And this is the first thing I see:

Ok, WTF is McGreevey babbling about? Jesus.

WTF?!?! THIS IS JUST TO ANNOUNCE HE'S GAY?!?!

AND HAD A GAY ADULTEROUS AFFAIR?!?!?!

WTF?!?!

And somehow I immediately knew he wasn't making it up. That was just awesome. That rocked. That was more entertaining than anything I could have hoped for.

I agree with Dan that adultery is the least of McGreevey's sins. I don't particularly care who he sleeps with--on the other hand, I do care that the auto insurance situation in NJ is screwed all to hell, to the point where my family's national insurance company won't even cover cars in this state.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Fatman said:
Best News i've heard all day...

Thank God he's out of office.

What a Fag.
He loves the cock. You, however, will learn to love the stick.

My banstick.

ALL OVER YER FACE MMMM OH YEAH

Ripclawe

Banned
Chris Matthews is now bringing up the lawsuit and charges of rape are involved. Most likely a shakedown, but I seriously doubt outing himself is going to give Mcgreevey the political cover he thought it would.

OmniGamer said:
Hey Bishop...hope you didn't tuck away that banstick just yet.

I'm glad I'm not the only who thought was silly.

Oh and this news makes me sad, quite sad. I can't wait till I see it used as a means to support the ideas of "perversion" and bans on gay marriage. It's not as bad as saying it leads to turtle love, so it should work eh? <insertrandomemoticionorrolleyesheretojustifysarcasm>

HAOHMARU

How is that ban worthy? She has inevitably had unprotected sex with her husband since his "affair." He has most likely had other affairs since I doubt this is a one time occurance. Whats wrong with being safe and getting an AIDS test?

Want more politically correct? Ok, she should get all sexually transmited diseases tested for.

I have not violated any forum rules.

OmniGamer said:
Hey Bishop...hope you didn't tuck away that banstick just yet.

I'd like to third that. It's not as bad as the earlier bannable crack in this thread, but it's still totally ignorant and fricking offensive.

HAOHMARU said:
How is that ban worthy? She has inevitably had unprotected sex with her husband since his "affair." He has most likely had other affairs since I doubt this is a one time occurance. Whats wrong with being safe and getting an AIDS test?

Want more politically correct? Ok, she should get all sexually transmited diseases tested for.

I have not violated any forum rules.

If he'd had an affair with a woman would you have made this crack?

What a bastard for making his resignation effective after the presidential election though. What a political move to not only try and maintain all the Kerry love in NJ but also to prevent a new election until late 2005 as normal and maintain a democratic governorship until then.

You've hit the nail on the head, Dan. It amazes me that in a modern democracy there isn't an adequate system in place for new elections to be held in some fashion. Just because McGreevey has decided to waste a few months in office before excusing himself means the state is stuck with an acting governor for 2 more years? Now apparently his replacement, Richard Codey, has been in the state senate for 30 years so he is at least experienced. However I think the people of New Jersey are entitled to some say in this since there won't be general elections for another 2 years....

Dan

KilledByBill said:
You've hit the nail on the head, Dan. It amazes me that in a modern democracy there isn't an adequate system in place for new elections to be held in some fashion. Just because McGreevey has decided to waste a few months in office before excusing himself means the state is stuck with an acting governor for 2 more years? Now apparently his replacement, Richard Codey, has been in the state senate for 30 years so he is at least experienced. However I think the people of New Jersey are entitled to some say in this since there won't be general elections for another 2 years....
Well, if he had left office before September 15th, the New Jersey Constitution would allow for a quick election to elect someone to take office for the rest of the term. By waiting, the Democrats get to guarantee that they'll control the governor position by putting Codey in place. It's a shrewd move in all respects, and a purely political one. I just loved how in his speech he said he'd take full responsibility for all of this and do the responsible thing in a democratic country... and then with a big smile said he'd resign on November 15th, thereby conveniently preventing the democratic process from taking place. What a prick.

HAOHMARU said:
First it wasn't a crack, I was serious...and yes I would have.

Then learn to clarify and read your statements beforehand. I don't see how you can't see how someone can find that offensive. Especially when jokes of the caliber are pretty common.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
DarthWufei said:
Then learn to clarify and read your statements beforehand. I don't see how you can't see how someone can find that offensive. Especially when jokes of the caliber are pretty common.

I don't know, the way the whole thing was worded, I didn't see that as a joke at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom