• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Jurassic World movie will be Jurassic World: Rebirth. Official details released.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Jurassic_World_Rebirth_Logo.jpg

We've had threads on this film, but I feel like official details demand a new thread.

Release date: July 02 2025.

Director: Gareth Edwards.

Official plot details:

Five years after the events of Jurassic World Dominion (2022), the planet's ecology has proven largely inhospitable to dinosaurs. Those remaining exist in isolated equatorial environments with climates resembling the one in which they once thrived. The three most colossal creatures within that tropical biosphere hold the key to a drug that will bring miraculous life-saving benefits to humankind. Experienced covert operations expert Zora Bennett is contracted to lead a skilled team on a top-secret mission to secure genetic material from the world's three most massive dinosaurs. When Zora's operation intersects with a civilian family whose boating expedition was capsized by marauding aquatic reptiles, they all find themselves stranded on an island where they come face-to-face with a sinister, shocking discovery that's been hidden from the world for decades.

Cast:
Scarlett Johansson as Zora Bennett, a skilled covert operations expert

Mahershala Ali as Duncan Kincaid, Zora’s most trusted team leader

Jonathan Bailey as Dr. Henry Loomis, a paleontologist

Rupert Friend as Martin Krebs, a pharmaceutical representative

Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Reuben Delgado, the father of a shipwrecked civilian family

Luna Blaise as Reuben’s eldest daughter
David Iacono as Reuben’s son

Pointless teaser video:

Personally, I can't see this being worse than Dominion. Gareth Edwards is a decent director and at least it'll have amazing effects. I'm also glad to hear the plot seems to be contained on a single island.

Also, Mahershala Ali is in this, which immediately demands my attention.

Any hype from Gaf?

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Eh, plot sounds meh at the very best..

But given Gareth love for the franchise I'm going to expect at least one scene as good as the Godzilla "kiss" scene or the Vader one in Rogue One.

Vick

Gold Member
That was Tony Gilroy. He did the third act redo on Rogue One.
The stuff that’s out there on the internet about what happened on that film… there’s so much inaccuracy about the whole thing, and Tony [Gilroy] came in and he did a lot of great work for sure, no doubt about it. But we all worked together till the entire last minute of that movie…”

“The very last thing that we filmed in the pickup shoot was the Darth Vader corridor scene,” Edwards added. “I did all of that stuff.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Jurassic_World_Rebirth_Logo.jpg

We've had threads on this film, but I feel like official details demand a new thread.

Release date: July 02 2025.

Director: Gareth Edwards.

Official plot details:

Five years after the events of Jurassic World Dominion (2022), the planet's ecology has proven largely inhospitable to dinosaurs. Those remaining exist in isolated equatorial environments with climates resembling the one in which they once thrived. The three most colossal creatures within that tropical biosphere hold the key to a drug that will bring miraculous life-saving benefits to humankind. Experienced covert operations expert Zora Bennett is contracted to lead a skilled team on a top-secret mission to secure genetic material from the world's three most massive dinosaurs. When Zora's operation intersects with a civilian family whose boating expedition was capsized by marauding aquatic reptiles, they all find themselves stranded on an island where they come face-to-face with a sinister, shocking discovery that's been hidden from the world for decades.

Cast:
Scarlett Johansson as Zora Bennett, a skilled covert operations expert

Mahershala Ali as Duncan Kincaid, Zora’s most trusted team leader

Jonathan Bailey as Dr. Henry Loomis, a paleontologist

Rupert Friend as Martin Krebs, a pharmaceutical representative

Manuel Garcia-Rulfo as Reuben Delgado, the father of a shipwrecked civilian family

Luna Blaise as Reuben’s eldest daughter
David Iacono as Reuben’s son

Pointless teaser video:

Personally, I can't see this being worse than Dominion. Gareth Edwards is a decent director and at least it'll have amazing effects. I'm also glad to hear the plot seems to be contained on a single island.

Also, Mahershala Ali is in this, which immediately demands my attention.

Any hype from Gaf?

I love dinosaurs... So I'm there day one! If my local theater ever opens back up!

ManaByte

The stuff that’s out there on the internet about what happened on that film… there’s so much inaccuracy about the whole thing, and Tony [Gilroy] came in and he did a lot of great work for sure, no doubt about it. But we all worked together till the entire last minute of that movie…”

“The very last thing that we filmed in the pickup shoot was the Darth Vader corridor scene,” Edwards added. “I did all of that stuff.

GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The guy who got sidelined because Bob Iger hated his original cut and brought in Gilroy to completely remake the third act is trying to save face.

The original third act was shit. The Rogue One crew died like bitches on the beach. Andor died by being shot in the back before he could get some bunker doors open.

Ristifer

I’m sure this will add yet another excellent entry into the universally heralded Jurassic World franchise.

IDKFA

It just blows my mind Scarlett Johansson said yes to this.

Apparently she's a massive fan of the franchise.

GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The guy who got sidelined because Bob Iger hated his original cut and brought in Gilroy to completely remake the third act is trying to save face.

The original third act was shit. The Rogue One crew died like bitches on the beach. Andor died by being shot in the back before he could get some bunker doors open.

Not an Edwards fan?

IDKFA

Same thing apparently happened on Godzilla. He can't finish a movie and has to have someone else fix it.

I think that's just Godzilla and Star Wars. Monsters was a great indy movie, although I haven't seen his most recent film.

It's like how Stephen King doesn't write his endings anymore and instead his son does.

I don't want to derail my own thread too much, but what? Stephen King can't finish his own books? Why?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I really miss 80s/90s movies. Studios weren’t afraid to experiment with new and unique concepts.

Now every damn movie is meticulously crafted to appease the lowest common denominator, which means most high-budget movies feel void of creativity and character. Marvel (and Disney in general) is definitely one of the biggest offenders of this.

What an unbelievably tiresome franchise. At least MCU movies were generally well-liked and maintained a baseline level of quality through Endgame, with true missteps only occasionally.

There hasn't been a single good Jurassic Park movie since the original. Every single sequel is bad. Just shit on top of shit on top of shit.

Doom85

Same thing apparently happened on Godzilla. He can't finish a movie and has to have someone else fix it. It's like how Stephen King doesn't write his endings anymore and instead his son does.

I wonder if he didn’t get help with The Creator. While overall I think the film is great, I did feel the final act was kind of confusing in how easy it was for the two leads to be able to pull off what they did, like the antagonists’ security for the area was almost non-existent.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'll still show up. I'm a sucker for a creature feature as long as it is above Asylum films level, which is obviously a low bar.

These movies are so frustrating to me because there's good elements mixed in with bad.

World was a waste of a good premise and cast, Fallen Kingdom was pointless, Dominion was pointless, I can't get over the plotline boiled down to being about giant bugs and they wasted bringing back the original cast for that?

I also hate the way they mess with the lore of the original movie and the rumor is, this one will incorporate the DX plot point from the original Michael Crichton The Lost World novel, which was the idea that what really killed the dinosaurs was a virus called DX and in cloning them, InGen also brought back this virus and didn't know what to do, implying their whole enterprise was doomed from the start, long before the power went out.

Buuuuuut it feels weird to incorporate DX into the 93 movie's lore, Crichton's take was always more cynical, but it feels weird to blend that into the very tonally different movie's world.

But truth be told, Gareth Edwards is who should have done the first Jurassic World, I was honestly impressed with Godzilla 2014 despite some weird choices, so I am very cautiously optimistic.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Even with all my love for dinosaurs i couldn't force myself to watch the last movie so i think i'm gonna pass.

IDKFA

I watched them all. I'm in. Wish they made them more horror-like.

You mean like the original books? That would be amazing, but unlikely to happen. Universal make a lot of money of selling toys off the back of these films, so they can't dive too deep into the horror elements.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
You mean like the original books? That would be amazing, but unlikely to happen. Universal make a lot of money of selling toys off the back of these films, so they can't dive too deep into the horror elements.

I dont even know if kids are even going to the cinemas for these movies anymore and it's just millenials like myself watching them for nostalgia sake, so I dont think they'd lose much if they made them a bit more brutal, scary. I mean the first one had horror elements and was still for kids. Seems like they're trying really hard to go The Planet of the Apes route, but they keep failing at it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Someones got to be able to create a new dino IP other than JP.

This franchise has jumped the Meg

They tried with the recent film 65 staring Adam Driver. It was shit. Worse than any JP film.

Shocking discovery? Maybe we are getting feathered dinos at last.

They sort of did that with the Pyroraptor in the last film.

The only problem I'd have with this is if they made all dinosaurs feathered, because a lot of them didn't have feathers. A lot of them had reptile like scales, Carnotaurus being the best example of this.

Laptop1991

Will it be another rehash of older films or a not very good original story, the sequels have never got near the original for me.

Trogdor1123

Having Human/dinosaur hybrids would be where the franchise really jumps the shark.

There is a reason why the idea was scrapped in the unmade JP4. It sucked.
That was supposed to be in part4? That would have been so terrible I would need to see it

Hookshot

Gold Member
If Godzilla hadn't just done it they could have been stupid as fuck and had the cloned dinosaurs lure old dinosaurs from the hollow earth to attack mankind but now they should just not bother.

IDKFA

That was supposed to be in part4? That would have been so terrible I would need to see it

Yeah. They were supposed to be human/dinosaur super soldiers. The idea was so bad that they just scrapped it. They knew it was terrible and was too far gone from the original JP concept.

Here are some official concept art pictures to give you an idea of how bad this would have been.

tumblr_nq3j9em9L61rwyx9ko1_500.pnj

Last edited:
Top Bottom