• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Media

ReaperXL7

Have they been clear about which version is the lead sku?

I'm pretty sure all they have ever said is that they are developing all three at the same time. I don't think i've ever seen confirmation which is the lead however. The lead programmer did say that he was picking up the PS3 version on their forums. They seem like they are trying to develop all three to each systems strengths.

Looking forward to seeing how their first game is going to turn out, just about a month and a half.

Dartastic

Hahaha at that card. I reiterate my earlier statement. It looked really good at E3, and it still looks good. I like that their limited editions are actually limited as well. I REALLY hope this game doesn't get slept on.

ironcreed

Banned
The animations are so fluid and have nice weight. The special effects are pretty darn good as well. Add in the way you can string together various attacks, be it magic, bows, blades, cancel out and roll, etc, and you have an incredibly fun looking game. Not to even mention the replayability due to how open and deep the Destiny system is.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The animations are so fluid and have nice weight. The special effects are pretty darn good as well. Add in the way you can string together various attacks, be it magic, bows, blades, cancel out and roll, etc, and you have an incredibly fun looking game. Not to even mention the replayability due to how open and deep the Destiny system is.

this game looks incredible. It's a shame that there is no buzz and EA is marketing it (read: as good as no marketing).

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I find it awesome, outside of blizzards boner for massive, hideous shoulder pads, I love WoW's art style.

I hate WoW's art style but I find this game adorable. As a fan of "realistic" style I wish the game looked less cartoony but as it looks so good I don't give a damn.

ironcreed

Banned
I hate WoW's art style but I find this game adorable. As a fan of "realistic" style I wish the game looked less cartoony but as it looks so good I don't give a damn.

Yeah, I think it is looking to be a nice compliment to the more gritty, realistic style that Skyrim is providing. As glorious as it is, it will be nice to have a more vivid high fantasy variant to go to as well come February. It basically looks like what I wanted Fable to evolve into. I know I have said that a million times, but I can't overstate it enough.

Nista

I'm pretty sure all they have ever said is that they are developing all three at the same time. I don't think i've ever seen confirmation which is the lead however. The lead programmer did say that he was picking up the PS3 version on their forums. They seem like they are trying to develop all three to each systems strengths.

PC version with an xbox controller is the way to go it seems, if you have even a moderately beefy machine. Don't think it takes advantage of any extra-fancy graphic card features unfortunately. I'm a little suspicious of programmers though, they rarely play the game content as much pre-launch. ;)

ReaperXL7

this game looks incredible. It's a shame that there is no buzz and EA is marketing it (read: as good as no marketing).

Well luckily it has been gaining some buzz just going off of the fact that the signature edition of the game sold out within a few days of being announced, and that was the most expensive edition. Hard to tell how many jumped on it for the signatures from R.A, Todd, and Curt though.

PC version with an xbox controller is the way to go it seems, if you have even a moderately beefy machine. Don't think it takes advantage of any extra-fancy graphic card features unfortunately. I'm a little suspicious of programmers though, they rarely play the game content as much pre-launch. ;)

I agree, however it's still a positive thing to hear from the dev team for those that want to pick up the PS3 version of the game. I suspect no one at Bethesda would have publicly stated they were buying the PS3 version of Skyrim. Seems that 38 cares about the game being playable, and great on each platform they release on.

ReaperXL7

Are there any vids of the exploration and just overall wandering aspect?

they have focused alot on showing off the combat and destiny systems, but here are a few videos where you can see quite a bit of exploration.

From E3 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oopKqCvczek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-X_kVw-ySM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Frq9aR7Uw&feature=related

This one is from Game Informer and it shows some exploration:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...d-phil-play-kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning.aspx

Sadly no youtube link for this one as far as i've found.

And a couple of good ones from G4:

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55529/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-allestar-gate-location-video/

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55533/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-stonecandle-mines-location-video/

Hope these help some :)

ReaperXL7

Is a demo planned?
Between this game and FFXIII-2 my choice in February will be easily made.

there is a demo planned as far as has been confirmed, but they have not given any specifics yet on the details of when it will be released, or what the demo will contain. If there is any change on that part i'll update it here so that everyone knows.

I'm sure a demo would see release fairly soon though as the game comes out on feburary 7th

Lain

Is there a list of which store is getting what preorder bonus in Europe, or do they all have the same preorder bonus? (talking about PC version)

ReaperXL7

This and the box art are making me wonder if EA has kidnapped children off of deviantart to do the marketing graphics for this game.

As far as combat, hack and slashy would be a benefit by my preferences, not a detriment.

Suppose it's bad then that I think the Boxart is better than what most western RPGs end up with in general, think it looks pretty awesome. I dislike Deviantart though.

Kingdoms-of-Amalur-Reckoning-ps3-box-art.jpg

Unity2012

This game is one of my most wanted pieces of 2012. I am so glad it comes out February 07th so the wait is not a killer. It will give me plenty of time to finish the backlog.

Every preview, hands on or else I've read gives nothing but praises and excitement. Congrats to everyone at Big Huge Games for putting together an amazing team and a great game.

Day one it is!

Suppose it's bad then that I think the Boxart is better than what most western RPGs end up with in general, think it looks pretty awesome. I dislike Deviantart though.

It's not so much the style or technical quality of the box art, it's the fact that no one associated with the project seems to have noticed the anatomical mistakes, or doesn't care. I bring this up in every damn thread and am probably starting to sound like a broken record, but I can't help it as once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. Kinda wondering what MacFarlane thinks about it.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ugh, the 25 minute GameSpot preview looks,... kinda dull. Dunno why but it looks like I'm playing a MMORPG solo. :/

cackhyena

I get the vibe. But is there an MMO out there that is this mechanically capable? I'll actually be curious to see how much of this system is in the MMO scheduled.

ReaperXL7

It's not so much the style or technical quality of the box art, it's the fact that no one associated with the project seems to have noticed the anatomical mistakes, or doesn't care. I bring this up in every damn thread and am probably starting to sound like a broken record, but I can't help it as once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. Kinda wondering what MacFarlane thinks about it.

is it that the leg kind of looks like a giant penis?

Hannar

One of the interesting things about the box art is that it appears they replaced the head a few months ago. Previously it was an open face helmet with downward twisting horns, similar to what has been seen in the marketing for Skyrim. They could have done this because they wanted to market a faceless character -- or it may have been directly tied to Skyrim. I can't find any screens of the old box, but it can be seen in some of the live demos.

Lain

Ugh, the 25 minute GameSpot preview looks,... kinda dull. Dunno why but it looks like I'm playing a MMORPG solo. :/

That's what I like. If a game can have the amount of content and freedom of an MMO, with the polish of a single player game, then one of my dreams will be fulfilled. I'm going to have so much fun with it (hopefully).

ReaperXL7

That's what I like. If a game can have the amount of content and freedom of an MMO, with the polish of a single player game, then one of my dreams will be fulfilled. I'm going to have so much fun with it (hopefully).

well if everything holds true on previews and interviews you won't be lacking in content, apprently some of their dev speed runs doing everything they could do in the game lasted around the 200 hr range. I'm hoping that all that content can keep a consistant quality though. The devs give me reason to believe but I don't like to make real judgments on stuff like that till I get my hands on the game for myself.

only another month though, so the wait is almost over.

is it that the leg kind of looks like a giant penis?

Specifically for me, it's the arms. The background arm might be ok if that little nub near the head of the axe is his thumb, but it should be bending at his waist unless he's arched over and has his elbow at his hips, which he doesn't appear to be. The foreground shoulder is floating in space a bit up and behind the dude's torso. The foreground arm is either too short, or just looks off because of the shoulder location. The wrists should be about at the hip joint, the elbows at the waist. I'm sure there's more here, but I'm not an artist.

Either this is intentional and represents something about this character, or it's unintentional and represents laziness.

I know this isn't super important, but it bugs me, and it should be bugging any team with professional artists.

It's not like this is going to be keeping me from playing this game, but it really makes me wonder about who is taking the marketing of this seriously.

Top Bottom