• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Little King's Story |OT| My little king can't possibly be this cute

Cing isn't around anymore. This was a licensing deal for Konami. They kept touting the Vita's networking capabilities, it's OLED touch screen, and the PS store allowing for easy DLC additions later.

Also, I was expecting this to be around 30-40$, since it's technically a "full" game, with a full trophy list and everything. Us Americans are getting the shaft though as far as a retail release is concerned, honestly I'm just happy it's even coming out over here at all :p

I'm waiting to update the OT with the digital size because I wanted to make sure there is conformity between the EU and NA regions, but 600 mb or so is great for how much content there is.

so who made this? Any of the original team around?

Tiamant

Any impression on the EU release?
I'm kinda tempted

Very good so far. Gameplay is fun and varied, the game has a lot of humor and it seems to be quite long. The only issue is the framerate when you command a lot of troops, and its even worse when you dismiss your guard and then everything runs smooth again.

so who made this? Any of the original team around?

From the producer himself:

"AQI is the developer, Konami is doing the production. We’re the rights holder, we own the IP and we licensed it to Konami. It’s a licensed game," producer Yoshifumi Hashimoto explained in an interview with Siliconera. While "Marvelous AQL" is the developer, its only their external development arm coding the game. Marvelous’ production staff is not involved with it.

So, the original being developed by both Marvelous and Cing, while this was definitely a joint production between Marvelous and Konami. So, it's possible people from the original team are working on this? There isn't much confirmation outside of that. Still, it's very similar to the original, even sometimes in almost identical regions, plus some support characters have returned as well.

Very good so far. Gameplay is fun and varied, the game has a lot of humor and it seems to be quite long. The only issue is the framerate when you command a lot of troops, and its even worse when you dismiss your guard and then everything runs smooth again.

That sounds like it'd be something simpler to stabilize with a post launch patch. It's worrying that the Japanese version hasn't been patched, or the western release didn't get a tune up before it's launch.

Astra

That sounds pretty good. Don't really mind a minor dip in framerate. I did greatly enjoy Dragon's Dogma afterall, and that had some awful dips. LKS doesn't slow down too much, I assume?

I gotta ask, does this game has a dating Sim element to it? What role does the princess have?

You can marry the princesses, from what I've read there's more of a dating sim system now but there isn't much confirmation outside of that. They also can act as support in battle now.

Thanks so much for the reports, framedrops are bonerkillers but I'll deal with it, my fear about the lack of a later patch in Japan is about low sales, but maybe we can help with that, buying now

Tiamant

I gotta ask, does this game has a dating Sim element to it? What role does the princess have?

I still haven't arrived to the princess part of the game but each of your servants has a status menu and they can fall in love with others, it's your job to mate and take them to the church. I still haven't married anyone but I suppose you get more servants from that (weird, since that's why you build houses for)

I really want to say final fantasy xiii2, but as bad as it was, its not the worst at all.

That dubious honour would be handed easily to THQs masterpiece.

Space Marine.

They had 25 years worth of lore and a rich universe that enabled them to do pretty much anything. They had the history of making the outstanding DOW games and yet they still managed to produce this bland, boring and predictable tale, that pretty much anyone with knowledge of the 40k universe could have put to shame in an afternoon. I find this staggering to this day.

Honorable mentions go to pretty much every fps game this gen, with resistance and battlefield springing to mind.

And Vanquish (there are no passes)

Wrong thread mate :)

I still haven't arrived to the princess part of the game but each of your servants has a status menu and they can fall in love with others, it's your job to mate and take them to the church. I still haven't married anyone but I suppose you get more servants from that (weird, since that's why you build houses for)

Oh wow. That's way more involved than I expected ... I actually really like that. The fact that there's the option to build a hospital now means there's way more depth with building your army - each citizen can be completely outfitted with weapons/armor and they can recover in said hospitals so.

I can't wait to get more screens and stuff to add to the OT. I think I'm going to get bigger shots of the DLC and just add smaller thumbnails in the OT.

When were they wrong before? Play-Asia is very careful about that.
But that's what all the major import sites and ebay retailers are stating, so I think you're ok.
I'm importing an Asian version as well.

Just recently they were off but in the opposite way for Dokuro, another Vita title. The Japanese copy listed Japanese language only while the more expensive "Multi Language" Asian version had all the various languages listed. I ended up grabbing the Japanese version since they were out of the "Multi Language" Edition and it surprised me by including English. Worked out for the best since the Japanese edition was $10 cheaper. I seem to recall it happening once before but that was quite a ways back so it could just be my paranoia. Never hurts to confirm these things.

Thanks for the reply!

LMN

Just bought the game, I like it, though I have some question, how do I manage or change the king's equipment? I can only change the soldier's equipment so far. Or do I need to advance into the story more?

They make kids, if it's like the first they have a special ability

Thinking back, weren't bosses quite hard in this?

I recall being quite surprised due to the cute kiddy nature of the art.
Yeah some of them were pretty tough.

So glad that this game is making its way stateside. My Vita is starving for a new game and I love the original Little King's Story. Day one!

GhaleonQ

Did you have any kind of meltdown post anywhere I missed? Or are you at resigned indifference right now, heh.

*laughs* No, he was just like, "I hope people play my baby," or something like that.

Current mission: find this "Devils Forest" (he wrote it in English) game that he said was his favorite at Tokyo Game Show.

On-topic: I'm going to play in English and see if the deeper themes get totally undermined with the changes or just slightly. The sense of wonder was, I think, inherent to...a lot of stuff in the genuine article, so I think this will get weird.

stupei

*laughs* No, he was just like, "I hope people play my baby," or something like that.

Current mission: find this "Devils Forest" (he wrote it in English) game that he said was his favorite at Tokyo Game Show.

On-topic: I'm going to play in English and see if the deeper themes get totally undermined with the changes or just slightly. The sense of wonder was, I think, inherent to...a lot of stuff in the genuine article, so I think this will get weird.

I was sort of hoping to read your opinion on this before I bite.

Love the original and like the idea of playing it on the go on my Wii, but really not sure how I feel about the changes.

Since you're going to buy anyway, I guess I'll wait for your thoughts.

Rootbeer

Banned
I really do want this... but I think I'll wait until there is a sale, now that PS+ is coming to Vita I think it should be discounted within a year. I can wait.

if there were gay love interests i'd buy it day one :p

no pedo

Bought the game due to Sunday boredom.

No regrets.

The slowdown only happens in town. When you're out fighting/adventuring it isn't present so it won't hinder you in combat.

5 hours of gameplay down and i've rescued one princess. I can see the game being fairly lengthy but just grinding up money and levels is fun for me.

The Digital Spy review is saying 39.99$, which just went live today:

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/re...tory-review-ps-vita-a-jewel-in-the-crown.html

8/10, a pretty glowing review. Day one, it's going to be so worth it. DLC we're still not sure about although the launch trailer has a huge DLC stamp at the end of it so... they're definitely taking it seriously. Also that Digital Spy didn't mention a word of the slow down that seems to only happen in town.

There's also a review from an Aussie site, Impulse Gamer, but it won't load for me (I'm going by metacritic's listing)

http://www.impulsegamer.com/vitanewlittlekingstory.html

They gave it a 78/100, and it was also a review full of praise:

Controls are quite responsive, graphics are cute and all in all, New Little King Story is probably the most fun I've had on the VITA in months!

So far the only thing I don't like are the massive slowdowns, you'll have them in areas where npcs are packed and in areas whewe 5-6+ monsters spawn together,
I even tried to bring less soldiers with me to ease the situation but it's still there.

It's playable, but annoying.

Letting the townfolks marry it's becoming an issue, people are getting infatuated with already married ones! D:

Awesome to hear about Corobo getting gear, although the slow down is worrisome. I hope it's something they can patch, although it's also worrying that it hasn't been fixed since the Japanese version has been out. So there's no cap/limit to how much people can fall in love/procreate in the game?

I can't show anything but surprise regard this game.
I realyl didn't barely hoped it could hook me this long, and even better, I appreciate the story and the dialogues, hell, wit the italian adaptation they even gone
as far to use a slang similar to one in my city for one of the random postcards you receive from the townsfolk, that's some dedication there!
I love going on the hunt for loot, and the fact that you need to get back to the castle to recognize what artifacts you got adds some strategy on what you decide
to keep (since loot inventory is limited) so in the end I drop most of the stuff that has not "good" in the name.

And while I was around I managed to find this cape for the prince:

pUJ1w.jpg

Don't know how/where tho.

So far the only thing I don't like are the massive slowdowns, you'll have them in areas where npcs are packed and in areas whewe 5-6+ monsters spawn together,
I even tried to bring less soldiers with me to ease the situation but it's still there.

It's playable, but annoying.

Letting the townfolks marry it's becoming an issue, people are getting infatuated with already married ones! D:

Eusis

I wonder if it bodes poorly for the future if Konami releases a $40 game directly to PSN, or if it's just a weird call on their part?

Though I'll take games like this coming to PSN at a "premium" over not getting them at all, plus it makes it much easier to reach that $100 mark.

GhaleonQ

I was sort of hoping to read your opinion on this before I bite.

Love the original and like the idea of playing it on the go on my Wii, but really not sure how I feel about the changes.

Since you're going to buy anyway, I guess I'll wait for your thoughts.

Eh, the game's finally reached cult status, at least on NeoGAF and I'll PROBABLY get stuck with work or get banned for the _th time this year and post sparingly, so I'd trust the esteemed NeoGAF community.

Those on the fence and not really sure what type of game it is, I found this video on youtube that shows the first half hour of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kRHCxiH5A

I guess it's the second best thing to a demo, which I'm sure we won't get.

So, that actually looks pretty good. It is a sequel then, and the events take place after the first game, which is why Corobo is older now. But... why would they make Liam all buff and not goofy looking :(

They make kids, if it's like the first they have a special ability[/poiler]
Wait, kids had special abilities in the first game? I don't remember that at all. I just remember sending them to school and turning them into adults.

Roubjon

If the slowdown isn't too horrible I'll definitely import the game. I don't understand why developers feel like it's acceptable to ship out games with issues like this. I'm assuming it's budget and time constraints.

Kazerei

Banned
This is a PSN only release in North America, right? Sorry I haven't been paying attention :S

Edit: yeah it is, now hurry up Grace Chen!

Meier

Just saw the digital only thing for the US. Well, I guess I'll never end up playing this since $35 (or $40, whichever it is) is far too much IMO. Oh well.

Takao

Banned
So Konami's making about $28 per sale on this. I'm pretty certain that's more than what they make with physical retail games. : /

Top Bottom