• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Little King's Story |OT| My little king can't possibly be this cute

Wait, kids had special abilities in the first game? I don't remember that at all. I just remember sending them to school and turning them into adults.
They can climb trees.

So Konami's making about $28 per sale on this. I'm pretty certain that's more than what they make with physical retail games. : /
DD is still behind on volume compared to retail. But for niche titles like this it makes sense since distribution is much simpler.

mjc

I'm trying to decide if I should play the original or just go for this one. (I can borrow the Wii version from my friend) I honestly haven't touched my Vita in months.

Hmmmm...

smr00

Banned
$40 is pretty steep for me, if i could get the physical version it would be much easier to accept but the fact everyone keeps talking about horrible slow-downs and crappy frame rate i guess i will just skip it which is unfortunate since i have nothing to play right now.

Luigi87

Hmm, I think I can wait until the holidays before I pick this one up. Sad that NA is digital only... But when I do!

randomkid

If the game is similar to the original, it'll be rather lengthy (my playtime was 50+ hours).

But yeah, I'm not spending $39.99 for a digital game. Aren't Vita digital versions supposed to be $36 in any case?

If anyone actually gets a copy in from Play Asia for $45, let us know if it's really in English!

Eusis

If the game is similar to the original, it'll be rather lengthy (my playtime was 50+ hours).

But yeah, I'm not spending $39.99 for a digital game. Aren't Vita digital versions supposed to be $36 in any case?

If anyone actually gets a copy in from Play Asia for $45, let us know if it's really in English!
There's no mandate on the prices, at least not like that (some games don't discount, some do a flat $5 discount regardless of the original price), and it's definitely not going to hold true when there's no physical version to be discounted from.

More I think about it, I think I'll wait and see what others are saying first. It IS a way to reach that $100 point, but so's Ratchet & Clank and Silent Hill: Book of Memories (though that's going to be full price I'm sure), and the month's just started anyway.

I dunno guys, $39.99 is average Vita game price, even as a DD only. I mean, seems like a lot of devs avd publishers are testing the localization waters for Vita games with DD.

I'll support this if it means we'll get more games.

randomkid

I dunno guys, $39.99 is average Vita game price, even as a DD only. I mean, seems like a lot of devs avd publishers are testing the localization waters for Vita games with DD.

Yeah I mean there are lots of people who apparently download games at $59.99 so if you are the type to do that then by all means jump on this, the game certainly isn't lacking for content. But for those of us who've never spent more than $10 on a digital game, it's a little exorbitant.

The EU price is the same after the conversion, so, the only difference is we're getting a digital release only. Honestly, if you're interested in the game/IP at all, be thankful we're getting anything over here lol. You can import a cart for around 50$, after taxes+shipping is factored in. I'm considering importing a cart later just to clear up space later.

Also the store was updated! New Little King's Story is up, 39.99$, 650 MB. Totally waiting on it to finish now ;) I'll update the OT later with the file size.

Ryuukan

The EU price is the same after the conversion, so, the only difference is we're getting a digital release only. Honestly, if you're interested in the game/IP at all, be thankful we're getting anything over here lol. You can import a cart for around 50$, after taxes+shipping is factored in. I'm considering importing a cart later just to clear up space later.

Also the store was updated! New Little King's Story is up, 39.99$, 650 MB. Totally waiting on it to finish now ;) I'll update the OT later with the file size.

Will buy when I get home.

Full price digital only >>>>>>>>> no english release

ill wait for opinions from gaf about 'framerate dips'.

Got pokemon and xcom next week, so not gonna dump 40 on this if performance is a big issue.

Ohnonono

Grabbing this when I get home from work. 40$ is worth paying for good localized stuff, especially if it encourages more.

Eusis

Yeah I mean there are lots of people who apparently download games at $59.99 so if you are the type to do that then by all means jump on this, the game certainly isn't lacking for content. But for those of us who've never spent more than $10 on a digital game, it's a little exorbitant.
Isn't that always the case though? You try to keep your purchases under a fairly low point, so anything that shoots up beyond that can seem expensive. And while $40's a bit rich for a handheld DD (I thought $30 would've been good, especially if it lacks dubbing) going above $10 at least as a baseline's inevitable for really good, new stuff to start showing.

Could someone make a list/post screenshots of the localized trophy text and descriptions?

I know about the Japanese ones of course but I'm interested to see how they are translated to English.

Also, I finished the Wii game but it could be hard in spots. Is difficulty unchanged in this version or did they tweak the values a little bit?

hell, with the italian adaptation they even gone
as far to use a slang similar to one in my city for one of the random postcards you receive from the townsfolk
Just for curiosity, what city? Italian translation was a poor job, so I played in English almost all the time.

And while I was around I managed to find this cape for the prince:
pUJ1w.jpg
Corobo is a pimp confirmed!

Most $40 Vita games were still a few bucks cheaper digitally.
Well it was a $50 Wii game (and well worth the money). I mean I'm with you on that, DD should be cheaper than retail but there is no retail version for this one in the US.

WHAT!? I though I needed lumberjacks for those treasures!
You can roll the children into the trees and they will climb them :).

Mindblown on the
Sweets eating King
in my version is called "Sissicababù", I was totally not expecting a
boss fight to turn in a
Pinball game
WTF LOL, This game keeps getting more interesting, and just took a look at the crafting O___o;

I don't really understand what's going on, but apparently to craft you use items that you find around or obtain from
disassemblying equipment, and for each category there are different class of items, PLUS you'll need some of your
townsfolk to work on it and it's better to carefully choose them since they can perfom a better fusion if they sympathize you more?

Just for curiosity, what city? Italian translation was a poor job, so I played in English almost all the time.

Corobo is a pimp confirmed!

I didn't think it was lame, I mean this game has really funny tones so there was no way to bring it's athmosphere with a mor eserious approach.

This is the message I'm talking about, I'm from Rieti (Lazio) and here the dialect sounds the same.

Jxp0S.jpg

bigger-http://i.imgur.com/mUDAl.jpg

I laughed also with this "bimbominkia slang"
9MgoB.jpg

bigger-http://i.imgur.com/iER7a.jpg

You can roll the children into the trees and they will climb them :).

Found that looking at the "help" section dammit, I missed a lot of those!

Christian

I'd rather have this, than not have it at all. Not buying the $40 DD version isn't conveying the message that you want a retail version - Konami's just going to think no one wants it, and not even bother in the future. $40, $35... Are you really gonna bemoan $5? I'd say that's a small price to have it localized. It's not like it lacks content, like it's not actually a full retail game.

Think of it as a $50 retail Vita game discounted to $40, then :p

I know what you are saying, but isn't this an old game? I don't think Nintendo charged full price for their "Wii updated controls" Gamecube games. Or did they? My memory blows. If they did, F that too.

Yuterald

Mindblown on the
Sweets eating King
in my version is called "Sissicababù", I was totally not expecting a
boss fight to turn in a
Pinball game
WTF LOL, This game keeps getting more interesting, and just took a look at the crafting O___o;

I don't really understand what's going on, but apparently to craft you use items that you find around or obtain from
disassemblying equipment, and for each category there are different class of items, PLUS you'll need some of your
townsfolk to work on it and it's better to carefully choose them since they can perfom a better fusion if they sympathize you more?

That boss fight was from the original Wii game as well. I still haven't been able to find any clear information on whether this is a definitive sequel or just some "remake" with some extra features (like that crafting stuff you mentioned). It still sounds like the exact same game!

Whenever I get a Vita and if I can find the game (imported) cheap or whenever there's a digital price drop I'm going to have to check this game out. I'm REALLY curious how they handled some of the later, more sophisticated (adult) bosses. (Wii game spoilers)
Take Omelet, for example , is there still a hedge maze before his questionnaire where you find pictures illustrating the life of a child and the experiences one has as they become an adult?
. The music that played during this little "scenario" was fucking awesome and it fit the scene extremely well. If they removed/changed music or moments like that then I'm probably going to have a big problem with the game. Oh, and what about (more boss spoilers)
TV Dinnah? During his boss fights you watch various TV channels with real-life footage, etc.
It was so incredibly memorable and awesome! Are there even boss introductions anymore withthe cool gibberish language and crayon-like animation scenes? Has anyone who has played the Wii version play enough of the Vita game to see if these bosses/scenarios remain untouched?

That boss fight was from the original Wii game as well. I still haven't been able to find any clear information on whether this is a definitive sequel or just some "remake" with some extra features (like that crafting stuff you mentioned). It still sounds like the exact same game!

So, it actually takes place after the first game. The kingdom you built is attacked and destroyed, but it's essentially in the same vein as the original. New characters, new princesses, some new stuff here and there, but it's essentially a remake/sequel, a reimagining. I'm still at work so I keep getting interrupted but man is it fun! I haven't noticed slowdown yet either ;)

Sadly I never had a chance to see or play the Wii version, I totally missed this gem.
But so far all the Bosses, except the secondary ones, have introductions but no Artworks thingies.

So far the game use mostly it's own assets for all the events, even the infamous "busty princess artwork" just appears when you free the first princess, I didn't have one for the second one, or for any of the other cutscenes except the intro.

I haven't noticed slowdown yet either ;)

Oh you will, you will...

The Wii version had the same humour, I was just want to know what dialect used.
Oh, and 100% I'm sure you haven't unlocked this yet, but wait for the
U.F.O.s who kidnapped the animals
, it will be fun see how they'll translate their speeches.

This game is indeed amazing

Yuterald

Well, that's a shame then. In the original game, each boss had a unique introduction done in an awesome crayon-like animation style completely voiced in some weird half gibberish, half (presumably) Japanese language, it was just fucking cool. The same style was applied to each Princess when you saved them. It's a shame the princess scenes have been replaced by those hideous Rune Factory-like still portraits. For me at least, the game sounds really disappointing when it comes to the stuff I valued most about the original. On the other hand, from what I've read and seen it looks like they improved a lot of the UI stuff and all the gameplay changes/enhancements sound pretty neat.

Meier

That is true but buying it also sends a message that the price is okay, when it isn't IMO. At $25-$30, I'd be all over it. Digital only releases should be cheaper on average because of their lack of overhead and the fact they never lose on pre-owned copies. I'll give it a shot if there is ever a sale but not until then.

Vita games are too expensive as is... the system is dead on the vine due to the competition from phones/tablets. Publishers need to lower game prices (and this applies to the 3DS as well) to compete.

Ugh every time I start playing, I get interrupted (at work still). Really bummed out. Should I add screen caps of the trophies into the OT?

That is true but buying it also sends a message that the price is okay, when it isn't IMO. At $25-$30, I'd be all over it. Digital only releases should be cheaper on average because of their lack of overhead and the fact they never lose on pre-owned copies. I'll give it a shot if there is ever a sale but not until then.

Vita games are too expensive as is... the system is dead on the vine due to the competition from phones/tablets. Publishers need to lower game prices (and this applies to the 3DS as well) to compete.

The problem is these aren't the same development structure, apps and such are much smaller in cost while this is a full fledged game. Also, this game isn't a case of it but usually if it's in stores and also available digitally, they have to match the retail cost or at least close to it because of avoiding shafting the retail outlets. I bought it and have no regrets, I'll know I supported niche games when they need proof that fans are willing to dish out for them. The Vita needs support now and if Konami sees this doesn't perform well... who knows how their future games/port plans will go.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything but, for an extra 10$ for a game you're definitely interested in.. why not support the developers?

Well, that's a shame then. In the original game, each boss had a unique introduction done in an awesome crayon-like animation style completely voiced in some weird half gibberish, half (presumably) Japanese language, it was just fucking cool. The same style was applied to each Princess when you saved them.

Well from what I can tell, they probably choose to cut the fat, but I must admit that OLED is great for that kind of stuff. ;(

Yuterald

Well from what I can tell, they probably choose to cut the fat, but I must admit that OLED is great for that kind of stuff. ;(

If you are really digging the Vita game and you own a Wii (or plan on buying a Wii U) I would suggest hunting down the Wii game at some point just to see the original vision. The same core mechanics are there and I'm sure it would be just as addicting (even without the Vita enhancements) because most if not all of the same progression systems and hooks are the same. =D

Normally if this was a big name title with mass market appeal like AC or CoD I'd agree, but seeing as this is a niche title, and with the Vita market being what it is, the message I'd rather send is that devs and publishers should localize the smaller titles from Japan and its okay to do it DD, because they may recoup and make a profit versus the potential loss at retail.

If as gamers, and as Vita owners we would like to see the smaller niche Japanese games come over as DD, then we have to be able to support it even if it's $39.99. It's not like they jacked the price, it's normal msrp, but the chances of konami making a profit and recouping localization costs are higher.

It's a catch 22. Would I prefer it be $30? Sure. Am I willing to invest an extra $10 if it means we get more niche titles? Double yes.

rpmurphy

It sounds like they added this stuff in because I don't remember any crafting being a part of the original game. There was loot that you could equip your townsfolk with, but that was the extent of it.

Eusis

Thing is the games are also getting notably more ambitious. You can't really just put out a fully VA'd game with a meaty campaign for Resident Evil :Revelations at $10, and probably not $20 (though many of us, myself included, bought it on sale for about that much) unless you were to have record breaking sales. And at this point I think it's a problem that's a combination of perception and interest: people need to view this as more serious games that are worth $30 and higher... and likely also actually care to play them.

Of course I can't really defend the likes of Nintendo's Crossword game, should've been $20 max, that kind of rationalization's more for games like this or RE:R.

Ugh every time I start playing, I get interrupted (at work still). Really bummed out. Should I add screen caps of the trophies into the OT?

The problem is these aren't the same development structure, apps and such are much smaller in cost while this is a full fledged game. Also, this game isn't a case of it but usually if it's in stores and also available digitally, they have to match the retail cost or at least close to it because of avoiding shafting the retail outlets. I bought it and have no regrets, I'll know I supported niche games when they need proof that fans are willing to dish out for them. The Vita needs support now and if Konami sees this doesn't perform well... who knows how their future games/port plans will go.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything but, for an extra 10$ for a game you're definitely interested in.. why not support the developers?

I kinda doubt they are banking all their development with this niche game :p

Best part about digital though is I don't need to worry about it being off the shelves a month later.

Still got a hefty backlog and will pick this up later.

Top Bottom