• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Little King's Story |OT| My little king can't possibly be this cute

I kinda doubt they are banking all their development with this niche game :p

Well, true but if it doesn't sell decently, it'll make them rethink future Vita games/ports. I was kind of surprised that we were getting this at all stateside. Also DAMNIT every time I start it up I get more people asking me for things. Damn these people and their needs! I took screen caps of all the trophies so I'll upload them when I get home.

Of the trophy list?
Yes please since no other website seems to want to post them.

Speaking of, what the hell is up with that? I got bored last week so personally submitted the English list to PS3Trophies.org and I doubt I was the only one, yet they haven't bothered to post the list at all. Seems pretty stupid.

Ken

I want to buy it now but I would have to attach my credit card to my account, and paranoia is telling me not to. T.T

The slowdown on this game is really irritating. Game itself is neat though.

It only happens in town, around the villagers though. Outside of town it runs great. Even when it happens it's not like debilitating but it is noticeable. I think it's easily patch-able, I wanna see if I can get something out of Konami about it..

I want to buy it now but I would have to attach my credit card to my account, and paranoia is telling me not to. T.T

Just do it. You'll be fine, I've had the same card on the same account since the hacking incident.

could you go into detail on when where?

in town? during boss fights? etc.

It's only in town that I've noticed and since the majority of your time in town is spent leaving the place or converting units it's not a huge deal although it is slightly irritating at times.

Boss battles have been fine for me even with 23 followers.

/sigh, that $39.99 price point feels a little insulting when we're the only region that's not getting a retail release, but what can you do. Will still probably pick this up because I want to play it and I want to support niche localizations, but it went from '"insta-buy" to "let's stop and think about this." I guess it helps that Sony has that "spend $100, get $20 in November" deal going this month.

It's $39.99 on the US Store ...

I thought this was going to be 15$, I was all set to buy, but pass for me not at 40$
I also hate seeing the size for price ratio, maybe just me, but 650mb for 40$ doesn't seem right. At least it should be over 1GB

I thought this was going to be 15$, I was all set to buy, but pass for me not at 40$
I also hate seeing the size for price ratio, maybe just me, but 650mb for 40$ doesn't seem right. At least it should be over 1GB

I don't mean to be rude but this post makes me sad on so many levels :(

A virtual card?

You go to you bank homepage and it generates a one use only virtual card, with a unique number and a cap (set by you) on how much they are allowed to charge.

Maybe it's not a thing in the US?

Not rude, but there was no explanation that this was going to be a 40$ game. The whole way it was discussed made it seem like any other psn game, at the normal price of 15$, correct?

Nope, it's a retail release in Asia and Europe. Fully fledged new game (heavily "inspired") on the old LKS.

But that was a budget release even in Japan. Has the price really been set though?

Must be dreaming though I saw it for 15$ somewhere, but now can't find price listed, so probably 29$ or 19$.

Not trying to argue, like I said it was never marketed here as a FULL, IE: Big Game, price point.

If I'm paying that much I want the option for physical copies.

Must be dreaming though I saw it for 15$ somewhere, but now can't find price listed, so probably 29$ or 19$.

Not trying to argue, like I said it was never marketed here as a FULL, IE: Big Game, price point.

Probably the only way were gonna get these types of games in the future will be digital only. I can see this happening to a lot of JRPG's unfortunately.

Sure, but for niche titles like this, I guess this going to be the norm.

It didn't really seem like Konami or Sony put much into marketing this game at all either way, and the little that I saw seemed to be catering to fans of the first game, who presumably knew that NLKS was a retail release in the other two major territories. That and it seems like a lot of publishers are withholding price tags on PSN content until the day of release recently. :-/

It didn't really seem like Konami or Sony put much into marketing this game at all either way, and the little that I saw seemed to be catering to fans of the first game, who presumably knew that NLKS was a retail release in the other two major territories. That and it seems like a lot of publishers are withholding price tags on PSN content until the day of release recently. :-/

Yea I get all of this, still just seems like shady business practice. And I am a paying customer, I'm not just going to throw my money at a company just because I "want to support it". I'll support it when my budget sees it as reasonable. But you all make valid points.

I understand where you're coming from, I wanted a retail release as well but it's just dependent on the publisher (Konami) and how they feel about various territories. They did it in EU, but not here, so.. it's definitely a big game, really fun and worth it, don't let the 650 MB fool you. Also, loading times are great - one thing that's definitely a plus.

Also, I keep thinking you're Greg Miller from IGN with that username.

I understand where you're coming from, I wanted a retail release as well but it's just dependent on the publisher (Konami) and how they feel about various territories. They did it in EU, but not here, so.. it's definitely a big game, really fun and worth it, don't let the 650 MB fool you. Also, loading times are great - one thing that's definitely a plus.

Also, I keep thinking you're Greg Miller from IGN with that username.

I wasn't saying that because it's 650mb that it's not good, guess that came out wrong, but, TO ME, it's like seeing dlc at 10kb, just an analogy. But I wouldn't harp on that idea, it's just my weirdness.

Alright enough about all this nonsense, for anyone who bought it, how is the actual gameplay? Is it all touchscreen based as shown on youtube vids, or can I use the sticks? How's the screen res look, etc. Just looking for impressions, maybe I'll consider next week.

depward

I'm so on the fence with this. On one hand, it looks like fun... But I hate RTS-type games. And Ragnatok Odyssey / Virtue / Playstation All Stars are coming out in the coming months.

Decisions, decisions...

I'm so on the fence with this. On one hand, it looks like fun... But I hate RTS-type games. And Ragnatok Odyssey / Virtue / Playstation All Stars are coming out in the coming months.

Decisions, decisions...

Spend $100 in October, get $20 back in November.

Alright enough about all this nonsense, for anyone who bought it, how is the actual gameplay? Is it all touchscreen based as shown on youtube vids, or can I use the sticks? How's the screen res look, etc. Just looking for impressions, maybe I'll consider next week.

You can definitely use all the buttons and sticks and zero touch controls. It runs great except when you go into town, the frames drop. I'm loving it :)

Bog

Junior Ace
I just wish Sony could guarantee me that this wouldn't be free via PS+ this year. I'd buy it right away :(

ijed

You can definitely use all the buttons and sticks and zero touch controls. It runs great except when you go into town, the frames drop. I'm loving it :)
Would be nice if you could disable the rear touch screen - think that could improve framerate.
new additions are great tho - cant figure out the alchemy - even if i have all the mats i still have to send guys out and it still fails. also should be a way to pick a princess to take with you at the podium

matmanx1

I'm loving this. It's cute, it's fun and it's really, really meaty. It seems worth the $40 asking price in terms of content and gameplay.

And I've used almost all buttons so far. Left stick to move, right stick for camera, square button to charge and X button to talk and interact. It works great and it feels good. I was a little bit unsure how much I would like it but being a fan of Animal Crossing and Rune Factory I decided to give it a try and am very glad I did. It certainly borrows from other games but blends elements together to become something unique and special. I can't wait to play more.

Christian

The game is absolutely awesome. I never played the Wii game, for the record, one of my biggest regrets of this generation. But this is making up for it. So much fun. I'm only about an hour and a half in, I haven't noticed much slowdown but my town is still pretty small. But it's so much fun. So much fun, so addictive. Great presentation, seems like a ton of content. $40 FEELS like a good price point, to me. It's definitely a retail-size game, just only available digitally. If you have a Vita and you like strategy games, you need to own this.

ijed

Can someone post some direct screenshots?

no prob (except for having to update content manager :/
9TdKz.jpg

Chillin in the spa
XH4lV.jpg

on the plains
ettTe.jpg

also some cutscene stuff
sPGoJ.jpg

WiU49.jpg

SxsvX.jpg

So does anyone have a breakdown of what is actually new outside of touch controls?

Well so far (I haven't done Sobermanjaro yet but have unlocked all the town areas)

Different Story (there's been no story with Skinny Ray - he just hangs around town like a creepy old man and you play table tennis with him)
Some bosses have been changed - all the submonsters have been the same so far
Some different enemies (but most are reskins of old enemy types)
Hospital - Instead of your guys *maybe* washing up on the shore when they KO they show up in the hospital - can pay to instantly fix them or wait a few days (3?) and they'll be fine
Lots more costumes and gear for your peeps
Alchemy - crafting items
healing items you can use on the battlefield
Corobo now can do a decent attack and also levels up this attack - also gets outfits
princesses join your royal guard and have support skills they can use (which I haven't figured out how to use)
animals and monsters you can tame that will come fight alongside you (haven't figured this out yet)
special arena events with leaderboards
some extra slowdown than wii version - especailly in town
same camera locking in annoying spots (like the oni tunnel :/)
New charater Azul who is your advisor instead of Howser (who's still in it anyway)

will add more if I can think of any

Eusis

Probably the only way were gonna get these types of games in the future will be digital only. I can see this happening to a lot of JRPG's unfortunately.

Sure, but for niche titles like this, I guess this going to be the norm.
I wonder if this might be the norm... from BIGGER publishers? I can see Konami considering this the sort of thing they don't want to deal with retail overhead for, but I doubt Atlus, NISA, Aksys, and maybe Xseed would resort to, or at least they wouldn't resort so easily to it. But I could see this being the fate of niche games that Konami picked up and published over in Japan... which is better than what they've done with their PSP and 3DS games.
Funny fact, LBP PSP is bigger than LBP Vita. Those lazy bastards...
I think the Vita has some crazy compression going on (which also completely eviscerates the "but it's too small for $40!" point by the way), just look at the MGS HD collection. It's, what, 3 GB? For TWO FULL DVD games? It also explains why loading can be so ungodly slow with some games: it's not that it's spending all that time reading off the cart, it's spending all that time decompressing off the cart, and right now only a few games (like this I'm guessing) can hide it well.

no prob (except for having to update content manager :/
Well so far (I haven't done Sobermanjaro yet but have unlocked all the town areas)

Different Story (there's been no story with Skinny Ray - he just hangs around town like a creepy old man and you play table tennis with him)
Some bosses have been changed - all the submonsters have been the same so far
Some different enemies (but most are reskins of old enemy types)
Hospital - Instead of your guys *maybe* washing up on the shore when they KO they show up in the hospital - can pay to instantly fix them or wait a few days (3?) and they'll be fine
Lots more costumes and gear for your peeps
Alchemy - crafting items
healing items you can use on the battlefield
Corobo now can do a decent attack and also levels up this attack - also gets outfits
princesses join your royal guard and have support skills they can use (which I haven't figured out how to use)
animals and monsters you can tame that will come fight alongside you (haven't figured this out yet)
special arena events with leaderboards
some extra slowdown than wii version - especailly in town
same camera locking in annoying spots (like the oni tunnel :/)
New charater Azul who is your advisor instead of Howser (who's still in it anyway)

will add more if I can think of any

excellent. You see it's this kind of stuff I'd like to hear. Funny enough besides pedo girls and slow down, I really didn't know much about this :/

how does corobo attack though? Is there an attack button mapped?

Thanks for the pics and the explanations on differences between Wii and PSV. Man that art style is still so horrible compared to the old one.

Yea I get all of this, still just seems like shady business practice. And I am a paying customer, I'm not just going to throw my money at a company just because I "want to support it". I'll support it when my budget sees it as reasonable. But you all make valid points.
Well if the majority of customers think that way then you won't be able to throw money for these niche games at companies in the future any more.

Top Bottom