• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New localization AI "ELLA" will be demonstrated at TGS 2024

Pejo

It's almost over for shitty EN localizers that butcher the story/character lines. If only this would somehow put Treehouse out of business too.

(Auto translated by Google)
Digital Hearts Co., Ltd. ( Headquarters: Shinjuku, Tokyo, Representative Director President: Toshiki Tsukuba, hereinafter "Digital Hearts" ) is September 26, 2024 ( Thu )~ 29 days ( At "Tokyo Game Show 2024" held at Shome Zhang Messei Messe, Japan Falcom Corporation ( "Japan Falcom Company" ) Popular Story RPG 『 Hero Legend Trajectory -Farewell, O Zemuria-』( 『 With World Trajectory 』) We are pleased to announce that our unique game-specific AI translation engine "ELLA" will participate.

76535-122-22675c3fd96ca5d32b9a3d560edef5de-2000x1133.png

"ELLA" is a game-specific AI translation engine co-developed by Rosetta Co., Ltd. ( and below "Rosetta" ) for automatic translation development of digital hearts and AI. The translation know-how that we have cultivated in game translation for many years, and Rosetta's AI translation and digital clone generation technology have been combined to reflect the character's personality and emotions, which have been difficult in machine translation to date. "Automatic translation using rich expressions" has been realized.

For this event, Japan Falcom has made a very popular story about the company RPG 『 Trajectory 』 Series latest work, a commemorative work that celebrates the 20th anniversary of the series 『 Trajectory of the world 』 In the main part, we specially created a line of four popular characters. Our "ELLA" translated its lines in 4 languages ( Japanese, English, Chinese ( Simplified ), Chinese ( Traditional )), 5 patterns each. .. From among the ELLA's suggested lines, have the character-like lines vote for 4Gamer.net booth visitors and 4Gamer.net readers, A gift campaign will be held to give 50 people a 『 trajectory of the world 』 unsold posters from among voters who have selected the same lines as Mr. Kaiyo Kondo, who is the president of Japan Falcom.
Video (in English) to explain some of the details:

Pejo

its not real AI, and this "AI" just like Googles, can be easily modified and made to do the exact same thing shitty woke localizers do. I wouldnt expect it to be good news 100%.
True, but at least they wouldn't be getting paid to do it, which gives me a small bit of peace of mind.

nowhat

Localizations recently have been under a lot of scrutiny for changing a lot of words to what they deemed more safe.
I dunno, been playing Visions of Mana recently, and I think it's unintentionally pervy. Like (I didn't get a screenshot of this because I was laughing so hard, it was Val talking to Hinna, and this is from memory so it may not be exact): "How's your head? Maybe we should go outside?"

Roxkis_ii

Trash mentality you got there. If you dont complain about bad things, how do you expect to get good things? Localizations recently have been under a lot of scrutiny for changing a lot of words to what they deemed more safe. Live under a rock if you want.
No but if an agenda is disruptively inserted into my favorite form of media I feel like I should be able to show my disgust as much as they choose to lose sales.

You sound like perpetual victims. No one is forcing anything on you. You can choose to not buy things with stuff you don't like in it.

But instead you cry in every thread sounding like a bunch a parrots

Also, what does complaining in this thread do!? Add piss to a discussion that has nothing to do with it. It's almost like it's you who are pushing an agenda...

Pejo

You sound like perpetual victims. No one is forcing anything on you. You can choose to not buy things with stuff you don't like in it.

Also, what does complaining in this thread do!? Add piss to a discussion that has nothing to do with it. It's almost like it's you who are pushing an agenda...
So uh... what are your thoughts on the AI?

You're right, we shouldnt complain. We should just consume Concord, Microtransactions, no more pretty women in games, etc. Just consume or dont human!

Subway Surfers Brain Fog GIF

On the flip side games are getting poorly rated if they don’t have this agenda shoehorned into them. So it is having a negative effect on good games.

But also you complaining about people complaining about a forced agenda in video games is also complaining. So what value did you bring to the thread other than being another complainer?

Last edited:

sudolicious

No one is forcing anything on you. You can choose to not buy things with stuff you don't like in it.

I hope you're just arguing in bad faith because you can't seriously be missing the point this much. The point is that shitty localization (Fire Emblem, Granblue, Persona...) is detrimental to the quality. If you don't care, that's fine, but why nag other people for trying to get a better product and experience?

btt: Doesn't sound that interesting really, because it sounds more like some dev-tool, which probably also means heavy licensing and such. If you're looking into proper studio funded solutions there'll be other options anyway, unless this turns out to be revolutionary for some reasons.

Pejo

I hope you're just arguing in bad faith because you can't seriously be missing the point this much. The point is that shitty localization (Fire Emblem, Granblue, Persona...) is detrimental to the quality. If you don't care, that's fine, but why nag other people for trying to get a better product and experience?

btt: Doesn't sound that interesting really, because it sounds more like some dev-tool, which probably also means heavy licensing and such. If you're looking into proper studio funded solutions there'll be other options anyway, unless this turns out to be revolutionary for some reasons.
From what it sounds like to me, they're training it on past Trails games and demoing it with a new Trails thing, which have had mostly good localizations with some exceptions. So my hope is that it recognizes specific characters and keeps their personalities and eccentricities consistent throughout the story, opposed to generalized AI translations that will just treat each line as its own thing, which could give characters out-of-character lines and dramatically shifting personalities - stuff like that.

If it could be customized for each series/game that it's used for, that could be a major benefit.

sudolicious

If it could be customized for each series/game that it's used for, that could be a major benefit.
Sure, but I'd say that benefit is only within regards to costs and time that the localization takes, not quality. For the foreseeable future there'll still be some form of editor who can just as much make or break a localization. Arguably maybe even more so. So the benefit is really mostly for the publisher.

And if a publisher would want to use AI for translations, they could've done so already. I don't really see what's so special about this one, is all I'm saying.

Pejo

Sure, but I'd say that benefit is only within regards to costs and time that the localization takes, not quality. For the foreseeable future there'll still be some form of editor who can just as much make or break a localization. Arguably maybe even more so. So the benefit is really mostly for the publisher.

And if a publisher would want to use AI for translations, they could've done so already. I don't really see what's so special about this one, is all I'm saying.
The two big benefits to me, as somebody that plays a lot of eastern-created games, is a much faster release cycle for the west and (hopefully) keeping the content as close to the source material as possible. Granted that's up in the air, but for me it's enough to keep an eye on how this demo goes. General AI to me is just a half step above MTL, so something better than that is preferable.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
No but if an agenda is disruptively inserted into my favorite form of media I feel like I should be able to show my disgust as much as they choose to lose sales.
Trash mentality you got there. If you dont complain about bad things, how do you expect to get good things? Localizations recently have been under a lot of scrutiny for changing a lot of words to what they deemed more safe. Live under a rock if you want.
Trash mentality, just learn Japanese if you're so precious about keeping it real.

Any translation will always take into account cultural nuances and then its subjective whether or not the original intent has been translated correctly.

Obviously also just keep doing what you want and vote with your wallets.

Trash mentality, just learn Japanese if you're so precious about keeping it real.

Any translation will always take into account cultural nuances and then its subjective whether or not the original intent has been translated correctly.

Obviously also just keep doing what you want and vote with your wallets.
Just learn Japanese? What?

Also, if we don’t complain, how can we say “I told you so” down the road?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Very interesting and potentially big for localization if it works faster and easier to translate those niche bicycle sniffing simulators.

Holammer

mhTxzs0.jpeg

Bad translation & localization has been a great millstone around our necks for 30 years and I, for one, welcome our new AI translation overlords.

its not real AI, and this "AI" just like Googles, can be easily modified and made to do the exact same thing shitty woke localizers do. I wouldnt expect it to be good news 100%.

Not at all.

If the translation is being done by AI, then the studios don't need to hire outside woke localizers at all. They can do it all themselves.

So the woke localizers go out of business. And Anime is delivered from their shitty corrupting influence. Praise the Lord!

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Do you realize that your brain is working in circles? Yes, that is very much the point, people saying they think the intent has not been translated appropriately, and now you're here to nag about their subjectivity being bad??
Yes I'm saying all translation is subjective, so take matters into your own hands and do it yourself. It was said somewhat in jest, but if you're that passionate about knowing the intent of the source material then cutting out the middle-man (or middleware) may be a solution.

This is a good step forward. I can only imagine the frustration Japanese creatives must feel when their works are subverted to push someone else’s inherent ideological perspectives.

Top Bottom