• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS3 trailer"from German game con"

Piecake

Well, perhaps this was obvious, but it seems to me that the Colonel nuked the place that Krushev and Johnson were talking about. so maybe the nuking took place at the end of the first mission for snake, because the Colonel would not have nukes until the boss defected.

Im guessing that the purpose of the colonel nuking that building was to start a war between the Soviet Union and the US, which would mean that the Colonel and the Boss might want to create a world similar to Big Boss's later dreams.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
914828_20040820_screen004.jpg

914828_20040820_screen006.jpg

^^^^^

I cant have enough words to praise Konami's female character design for MGS3, its a departure from the more anime style of MGS and MGS2 females, these are simply top notch in every aspect very good, the Boss especially, she doesnt have "perfect" skin, closer to Silent hill's texturing quality.

Oh and the Boss' JPN VA is really good imo, in the 15 mins trailer, i found her to be the best VA of the bunch.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Good question. I think it likely wont have it.
Most likely not, but most likely it will works with Blaze VGA adapter, much like MGS2, and ZOE2.

I totally agree. I really couldn't wish for anything more than to have dual language option in the game, but I'm quite certain that wont happen, un-fuckin-fortunately.

*Sets Ignore-Marconelly-Mode & other "BUT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THE LANGUAGE" people to On*
Bah, just buy the Japanese version of the game and play it with the modchip or HDLoader.

Marconelly said:
Bah, just buy the Japanese version of the game and play it with the modchip or HDLoader.

But will it have English subtitles? Also I'm not chipping my PS2, and there's a good chance it wont work with HDLoader.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Those IGN screens are so fine, btw :)

But will it have English subtitles? Also I'm not chipping my PS2, and there's a good chance it wont work with HDLoader.
I think all Konami's Japanese games have english subtitles as well (SH2, SH3, SH4, MGS2)

I'll check if the game works with HDL first thing after I get it (and I really hope it does... MGS2 and MGS2 substance work nice with it)

Bebpo

Banned
Marconelly said:
Those IGN screens are so fine, btw :)

I think all Konami's Japanese games have english subtitles as well (SH2, SH3, SH4, MGS2)

I'll check if the game works with HDL first thing after I get it (and I really hope it does... MGS2 and MGS2 substance work nice with it)

The regular MGS Jpn, and MGS2 Jpn did not have an english subtitle option. Not sure about Integral or Substance, but you can bet MGS3 will not have english subtitles.

evil ways

Man, after watching all those pics and the new trailer, plus rewatching the previous 15 minute trailer, this is a mindfuck of a game, either that or clever editing to fuck around with us.

It seems the ass whipping "Snake" takes at the hands of The Boss at the bridge is gonna be early in the game, cause he takes the bandana, then he seems to continue the mission wearing the bandana and then meets The Boss again in the woods, except this time she rides a horse and her hair looks different. Then "Snake" gets another ass whipping but this time by the Russian Colonel. There I'm lost

I can't wait.

scarybore

Marconelly said:

Bah, my PAL copy of MGS2 crashes with HD loader if you go to save and access a memory card that already has a MGS2 save on it :(

Either way I've been watching the trailer everytime I have some free time and it just never gets old, its just a classic thought provoking trailer. Can't bloody wait for the games release:)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not sure about Integral or Substance, but you can bet MGS3 will not have english subtitles.
Well, I guess Adelgary and other whiners are out of luck then :p

Bah, my PAL copy of MGS2 crashes with HD loader if you go to save and access a memory card that already has a MGS2 save on it
Same problem with regular release of US version of MGS2 (no problems of that kind in Substance, btw) but there is an easy workaround that I have figured out (surprisingly enough I didn't find it anywhere on the internet, on sites that support HDL)

When you save the status the last time during one play, and power your console down, the next time you want to play the game, all you need to to do is to go to the PS2 system browser and copy the MGS2 save file somewhere (another memcard, or a folder on a harddrive) and then copy it back to memcard 1. After that, just run MGS2 off the HDL and it will work fine and load the status. You need to do this every time you want to run the game again, after you have saved, but it should be no more than once a day or so, so it's not a big deal.

evil ways said:
Man, after watching all those pics and the new trailer, plus rewatching the previous 15 minute trailer, this is a mindfuck of a game, either that or clever editing to fuck around with us.

It seems the ass whipping "Snake" takes at the hands of The Boss at the bridge is gonna be early in the game, cause he takes the bandana, then he seems to continue the mission wearing the bandana and then meets The Boss again in the woods, except this time she rides a horse and her hair looks different. Then "Snake" gets another ass whipping but this time by the Russian Colonel. There I'm lost

I can't wait.

Yah thats what leads me to believe that it's going to take place over several years or months. They might be planning on making you play through the game with a broken arm at some point. Kojima's said that you can break your limbs in the game but he hasn't explained how that'll affect the gameplay yet.

It does seem like it takes place early on as you said. In the previous trailer they showed helicopters carrying the new Metal Gear away as Snake watches it fly overhead, then in this new one we see MG (which is alot faster that I thought it'd be) chasing him down in a new section).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
914828_20040820_screen006.jpg

914642_20030515_screen001.jpg

Heh, that's the first thing that came to my mind wheh seeing that MGS3 pic. :p She kinda looks like Alex there...

scarybore

Marconelly said:
Same problem with regular release of US version of MGS2 (no problems of that kind in Substance, btw) but there is an easy workaround that I have figured out (surprisingly enough I didn't find it anywhere on the internet, on sites that support HDL)

When you save the status the last time during one play, and power your console down, the next time you want to play the game, all you need to to do is to go to the PS2 system browser and copy the MGS2 save file somewhere (another memcard, or a folder on a harddrive) and then copy it back to memcard 1. After that, just run MGS2 off the HDL and it will work fine and load the status. You need to do this every time you want to run the game again, after you have saved, but it should be no more than once a day or so, so it's not a big deal.

Cool, thanks. Anyone know if all PAL PS2 versions of Substance come with that document of MG thingy or was it a limited offer?

EekTheKat

The slight chance in the bosses face a moment before she attacks snake is so subtle, yet it's such a nice touch... I mean it really is only stuff that you see in films.

The fighting in the cutscenes is also the most brutal thing I've seen in any game in a long time.... I think in part it's because the violence isn't over the top silly violence but rather it just looks painfully brutal.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Anyone know if all PAL PS2 versions of Substance come with that document of MG thingy or was it a limited offer?
Yes, PAL substance comes with a free copy of MGS2 document disk (which is awesome, btw)

The fighting in the cutscenes is also the most brutal thing I've seen in any game in a long time.... I think in part it's because the violence isn't over the top silly violence but rather it just looks painfully brutal
So true. In the E3 trailer, the scene where that russian guy ponds the crap out of Snake, just radiates with the sheer brutality

if you go to the mgs3 site and press the japanese site instead of the us, you can download the japanese version of the GC trailer with japanese voices.

Just watched that interview.

- Kojima was recently in LA finishing up the voices and sounds for the game
- 1964 is when the game begins
- Snakes codename is "Naked Snake"
- Coming out in November in the US not October
- Several trailers were shown at the Game Convention
- He all but says that Big Boss is the main character.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I guess that's why he was at G-Phoria...probably found some time to go the show while in L.A. I wouldn't believe he would travel to L.A. just to accept his award :p

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
SolidSnakex said:

It hurts that no one believed me. It really does. :(

Goreomedy said:
It hurts that no one believed me. It really does. :(

So with this definetly confirmed. Could it be part of Kojima "big" surprise? That the movie will be like some recent movies and move backwards (starting at the last event and moving backwards to let you figure out everything)?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
SolidSnakex said:
So with this definetly confirmed. Could it be part of Kojima "big" surprise? That the movie will be like some recent movies and move backwards (starting at the last event and moving backwards to let you figure out everything)?

Memento Gear Solid? ;)

If it does open with "the ending", then I expect to see Naked Snake saluting that grave.

Mrbob

Maybe Kojima is taking the Tarantino route with MGS3. Not necessarily from end to beginning, but setting up different plots at different points and bringing them all together.

BTW that isn't the hi res Alex model from HL2 is it? The MGS3 model destroys the HL2 model....

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It hurts that no one believed me. It really does
Hehe, it's just that it sounded a bit more interesting that it's taking place after several years, because of all the history involved. Well, maybe not even interesting... Now that I think, MGS2 did just that - made a long break of a year or so in the story.

It's just that there needs to be at least a few months break - Snake's arm needs to heal, right? I guess it's in that time that Boss procures nukes to the general, and he fires them off on his own country. At least it looks that way.

bobafett

Even those who don't like Metal Gear Solid have to agree that in terms of productions values and direction, the series is a step beyond other games.

Hideo Kojima and his team have a lot of talent and try hard to push the envelope in terms of story, attention to details, game design and graphics.

Laurent

SolidSnakex said:

As in "the trailers from E3 2003, TGS 2003, E3 2004 and the newest trailer" or "several new trailers"?

Goreomedy said:
Memento Gear Solid? ;)

If it does open with "the ending", then I expect to see Naked Snake saluting that grave.

Yah like that, or kinda like MrBob said where some things are out of order and you have to put them together. I think that's what the big surprise will be, I can't imagine it being that the main character is really Big Boss since at this point most people already think that's who it is, so it wouldn't really be a surprise.

"As in "the trailers from E3 2003, TGS 2003, E3 2004 and the newest trailer" or "several new trailers"?"

Sounds like new as in ones we haven't seen. It's likely more of the game mechanics being shown off (if it's the broken limb stuff I want to see that).

Laurent

SolidSnakex said:
Sounds like new as in ones we haven't seen. It's likely more of the game mechanics being shown off (if it's the broken limb stuff I want to see that).
Even if it's not! You said trailers... If you report it correctly, that means edited game footage with interesting pieces of information; I want them all! ;oP

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He said they showed two trailers, one which is "interesting, because it features English voice overs". Methinks they showed this new trailer, and one of the existing, old trailers.

MaddenNFL64

Wow, that trailer was very good. Nowhere near the E3 2004 trailer though.

The english VO's sucked, except Hayter, but even he doesn't really fit well as Big Boss.

Hopefully, most of that is just placeholders.

Top Bottom