• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MGS3 trailer"from German game con"

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Doc Holliday said:
dark, i actually forgot what that meant..care to refresh my memory?

Heh, it's been a while for me too so I can't really recall the exact details...

It basically is a codename, you could say...but I believe it has to do with information censoring. When someone actually says The "Patriots", it is modified (by the AI) to sound like "La Li Lu Le Lo" to the listener. I can't recall if this effects everyone, however...

Regardless, I alwasy thought it was kinda funny. :p

Anyways, I just watched the trailer (finally) and it WAS fantastic! I can't really deny it anymore, MGS3 is my most anticipated game release this Fall. Even with so many other big titles on the way, I can't hide my excitement for the game. I am ready for it!

Doom_Bringer said:
typical kojima trailers full of spoliers! Why does this guy like to ruin his games by making these kinds of trailers? >_<

He's always been careful when it comes to spoilers with MGS trailers, so while some might seem big now when the game is released and you're playing through it they probably won't seem as significant as you'd thought.

dark10x

Doom_Bringer said:
typical kojima trailers full of spoliers! Why does this guy like to ruin his games by making these kinds of trailers? >_<

Well, with MGS2, he had even MORE story related stuff present...and that certainly didn't even begin to reveal the plot. I didn't feel as if anything was spoiled for me. I really don't think these trailers for MGS3 are going to reveal anything major. We are getting hints at stuff to come, but there will be MUCH more there. Of recent trailers, though, I was REALLY impressed by the E3 2004 SH4 trailer. Not only was it beautifully directed and filled with haunting imagery, it was also spoiler free...

Now, with ZOE2's trailer, THAT was FILLED with spoilers. That trailer revealed pretty much every major location in the entire game...and they even show it when you first pop in the disc!!!!

dark10x said:
Now, with ZOE2's trailer, THAT was FILLED with spoilers. That trailer revealed pretty much every major location in the entire game...and they even show it when you first pop in the disc!!!!

oh yes the intro in ZOE2 is full of spoliers too!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Spoilers? You barely know anything by watching these trailers. Except that there's a metal gear of some kind, who the characters are and what the basic, starting, story outline is.

The Boss looks like she could end up being the best MG bad guy yet. We've seen her twice and every time she's beating the crap out of Snake like he's nothing. She makes Volgin look weak even though she's much smaller. I also can't see that character being anyone else but Big Boss. He seems to trust people way too easily to be Solid, he actually seems kinda dumb (maybe just a bit to inexperienced to understand what he should do). The Boss beats his ass then holds out her hand to pick him up and he reaches up to let her and then she starts beating the crap out of him again.

Marconelly said:
Spoilers? You barely know anything by watching these trailers. Except that there's a metal gear of some kind, who the characters are and what the basic, starting, story outline is.

Ok I admit I didn't see the full trailer just some random parts of it! But they should be releasing new gameplay trailers instead of this stuff IMO.

DaveH

Doc Holliday said:
dark, i actually forgot what that meant..care to refresh my memory?

I was curious too so I googled it. Can't speak to the validity of the claim, but it sounds interesting:

It's a fact that Japan adopted much of the Chinese language a very long time ago. I don't know when, but many hundreds of years ago. In the Chinese "alphabet," they have La Le Lu Li Lo. Japan's alphabet doesn't. In the Japanese alphabet, they have Ra Re Ru Ri Ro. The Chinese alphabet doesn't have those. So, the story goes that for some reason a powerful figure in Japan decreed that La Le Lu Li Lo were no longer to be used and they would use Ra Re Ru Ri Ro instead. From then on, La Le Lu Li Lo became these forbidden "secret" characters that no one used openly anymore, and eventually no one used them at all. So apparently the fact that a secret organization is known as "The La-Le-Lu-Li-Lo" makes perfect sense to Japanese speakers who know their history, but us English speakers are left scratching our heads and going "Huh?"

In addition

Certain people in the game, including Snake and Raiden, have nanomachines, and the Patriots have made these nanomachines interfere with how they hear things. La-li-lu-le-lo is how people with nanomachines hear the word "Patriots" when it is spoken by someone else. Dolph and Richard Ames are both actually saying the word Patriots, but Snake and Raiden hear it as La-li-lu-le-lo so they won't know what they are talking about.

Laurent

SolidSnakex said:
The Boss looks like she could end up being the best MG bad guy yet. We've seen her twice and every time she's beating the crap out of Snake like he's nothing. She makes Volgin look weak even though she's much smaller. I also can't see that character being anyone else but Big Boss. He seems to trust people way too easily to be Solid, he actually seems kinda dumb (maybe just a bit to inexperienced to understand what he should do). The Boss beats his ass then holds out her hand to pick him up and he reaches up to let her and then she starts beating the crap out of him again.
Solid Snake is also kind of dumb in the original Metal Gear Solid, which I think represent a little of is inexperience, especially when compared to the more calm and mature Solid Snake featured in MGS2. Why would Snake Senior be dumb? I think it has more to do with The Boss being a women that intimidate him... Remember that Ocelot is being humiliated by Snake Senior in that same game, which shows that he is much smarter than the average soldier...

Although anyone who let the enemy cut his eye off might not take the mission too seriously IMO! ;oP

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, you get bits and pieces of the story in these trailers, but there's just no way to figure out what exactly is going on. This trailer, for example, makes things even more speculative, considering that there now seems to be a different HALO jump...

Solid really didn't trust anyone. I kinda doubt that if someone just whooped him and broke his arm, that he'd actually trust them to help him up. :p I'm thinking Big Boss might be inexperienced because this is one of his first missions, since Kojima did mention that they've played with the first 2 games storylines.

He does seem to know The Boss which could be a reason for him holding back. It still doesn't explain why he's going to trust her after the way she beat him. Volgin also gives him a beating in the previous trailer.

scarybore

Certain people in the game, including Snake and Raiden, have nanomachines, and the Patriots have made these nanomachines interfere with how they hear things. La-li-lu-le-lo is how people with nanomachines hear the word "Patriots" when it is spoken by someone else. Dolph and Richard Ames are both actually saying the word Patriots, but Snake and Raiden hear it as La-li-lu-le-lo so they won't know what they are talking about.

Surely if that was the case we would have never heard of the patriots during the game, no? Unless of course the nano machines only interfered if certain people said the patriots.

It's a fact that Japan adopted much of the Chinese language a very long time ago. I don't know when, but many hundreds of years ago. In the Chinese "alphabet," they have La Le Lu Li Lo. Japan's alphabet doesn't. In the Japanese alphabet, they have Ra Re Ru Ri Ro. The Chinese alphabet doesn't have those. So, the story goes that for some reason a powerful figure in Japan decreed that La Le Lu Li Lo were no longer to be used and they would use Ra Re Ru Ri Ro instead. From then on, La Le Lu Li Lo became these forbidden "secret" characters that no one used openly anymore, and eventually no one used them at all. So apparently the fact that a secret organization is known as "The La-Le-Lu-Li-Lo" makes perfect sense to Japanese speakers who know their history, but us English speakers are left scratching our heads and going "Huh?"

That would certainly make alot of sense if true.

That was a great clip !!

The generals English Voice doesnt seem intimidating like the Japanese Voice Over.

Ocelot and the bike action has me droolin !!!!

Was an offical Pal date announced at the show ?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
You are prohibited to distribute any part of this data in any means without the permission.

gaffers owned

Now I gotta wait to get home to watch this and the HL2 bink video.. :-\

Laurent

All that talk about the La-li-lu-le-lo got me thinking... I will play Metal Gear Solid 2 once more and will alert when the name "La-li-lu-le-lo" or "Patriots" is mentionned...

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Awesome trailer. And now I don't know what to believe. "The same character", would Kojima consider a clone the same character? "The same time period", does Kojima consider history repeating itself to be the same time period?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Will there be different methods of insertion that we can choose? Liked the original intro better, but who knows...that footage probably wasn't even the intro. Confusing indeed...I think I'm gonna avoid watching this trailer multiple times so I can try to forget what I saw :p

Told myself I wouldn't see any more videos but I couldn't resist!

Laurent

I don't mind about spoilers! It's not static like a book or a movie, it's an interactive game. Even if I know how it ends, I want to live the story and find out HOW the things I've been spoiled about will happen...

Troidal

As always, great trailer.

The gameplay still has me hung with all that hunting for food stuff...

And yeah, I dont like young Ocelot's voice much either.

Wario64 said:
Will there be different methods of insertion that we can choose? Liked the original intro better, but who knows...that footage probably wasn't even the intro. Confusing indeed...I think I'm gonna avoid watching this trailer multiple times so I can try to forget what I saw :p

Told myself I wouldn't see any more videos but I couldn't resist!

You probably won't be tempted anymore, this should be the last trailer that's released for the game unless they decide to do a TGS trailer. I was hoping they'd show off the snow mountains before release but I guess they're going to keep that hidden.

Yeah, the voice acting took it down a notch, espeically Ocelot's, but I'm glad Hayter is back in it. And the Boss simply kicks ass!

Also, I don't think the Halo jump we've seen before has been dropped. I just think the game will be split into two parts, like MGS2: one you play as Big Boss, the other as snake. I know Kojima has stated you'll only be playing as one character this time. Well... Big Boss and Snake are technically the same person, right?

This trailer further confirms my believe that you will play Snake and the Boss in MGS3 in a parallel timeline of the pass and present.

Prine

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Patriots.jpg

Oh teh no, not again!

lol

Cant wait for this game.

White Man

My theory stated during E3 2003:

Game begins with a cutscene of Snake sneaking into some sort of compound and gaining illicit access to a PC/file cabinet whatever. He opens a dossier file on Big Boss and begins to read. . .Flashback to the 1960s when the game takes place. When the game ends, it goes back to Snake reading the file in the compound. Then there'll be some sort of teaser for the next game that will infuriate fans until the next sequel comes.

-Also, Snake now has magic pants.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
great trailer, but people are right - what's with some of the shoddy voice work? hopefully it's fixed before release.

scarybore

eXxy said:
great trailer, but people are right - what's with some of the shoddy voice work? hopefully it's fixed before release.

Im very much hoping that they are just voice place holders, I will be extremely dissapointed if Ocelot sounds like that in the finished game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I doubt it's place holders, it's pretty late in the game right now and I'm sure the voices heard in the trailer will be the same voices in the final product. Please prove me wrong...

Perhaps the game will be dual-layered and include both languages...(has it even been announced that the game is on dvd9 or not?)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Guzim said:
Looks amazing. It's going to be my GOTY.

Is Big Boss' real name Jack?

Pretty sure it is. Solidus Snake named Raiden after Big Boss. And Raiden's real name was Jack

dark10x

Wario64 said:
I doubt it's place holders, it's pretty late in the game right now and I'm sure the voices heard in the trailer will be the same voices in the final product. Please prove me wrong...

Perhaps the game will be dual-layered and include both languages...(has it even been announced that the game is on dvd9 or not?)

I'm sure those are the final voices and I don't understand the complaints. Outside of the accents (which are lacking), most of the acting very solid (eh hem). The ONLY voice actor that I have an issue with is young Ocelot, but that doesn't mean the actor did a poor job (his voice just doesn't fit the part).

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
dark10x said:
I'm sure those are the final voices and I don't understand the complaints. Outside of the accents (which are lacking), most of the acting very solid (eh hem). The ONLY voice actor that I have an issue with is young Ocelot, but that doesn't mean the actor did a poor job (his voice just doesn't fit the part).

Right, there's nothing wrong with the performance that I can hear, but it certainly is awkward that he lacks an accent.

dark10x

Laurent said:
I wonder if voice place holders as been used in the past for gaming trailers. Anyone?

Well, when MGS2's first English trailer appeared, it represented the final product...so I'm sure this will be the same.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seriously, I can't see the problem with the voice overs. They all seem really good, except perhaps for this:

Right, there's nothing wrong with the performance that I can hear, but it certainly is awkward that he lacks an accent.
Which will maybe be explained in the game. Perhaps Ocelot has been thought English in the youth, and simply can speak it withough an accent?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I guess there could be some history to explain it. But for now, it's just odd to hear.

Anyone notice Snake snatching off "The Boss"s headband as she throws him off the bridge? He then uses it as a sling for his broken arm. :)

EDIT: Which means there are two jumps. The Skull-face jump is obviously after the bridge scene, since Snake is wearing the headband. In the Halo jump, he's not wearing anything.

So, still one character in the 60's...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
dark10x said:
Well, when MGS2's first English trailer appeared, it represented the final product...so I'm sure this will be the same.

I don't think that holds true here....the lip synch is really off. Something that isn't in MGS2. Either the lip synch is off and it isn't a final product or the voices being spoken is not from the scenes we are watching. And there is a very odd transition on the helicopter with Ocelot, you can almost tell that a scene was taken out between his first and second sentence.

But we'll have to wait and see. There is so much we don't know. This trailer really raised more questions than it answered..and we can't even trust the questions it did answer. o_0

Laurent

Grizzlyjin said:
I don't think that holds true here....the lip synch is really off. Something that isn't in MGS2. Either the lip synch is off and it isn't a final product or the voices being spoken is not from the scenes we are watching. And there is a very odd transition on the helicopter with Ocelot, you can almost tell that a scene was taken out between his first and second sentence.

But we'll have to wait and see. There is so much we don't know. This trailer really raised more questions than it answered..and we can't even trust the questions it did answer. o_0
But the lip synch was really off in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, even in the final product. I know it might not be an "official" release since it wasn't done entirely by Kojima's team, but still...

evil ways

Goreomedy said:
I guess there could be some history to explain it. But for now, it's just odd to hear.

Anyone notice Snake snatching off "The Boss"s headband as she throws him off the bridge? He then uses it as a sling for his broken arm. :)

Yeah, that was cool, but I wonder if she's also the one who takes out "Snakes" eye.

dark10x

Grizzlyjin said:

I do not believe that all of the dialog is what the characters are actually saying at that time. The first English MGS2 trailer had a lot of talking as well, and most of it was not related to the on screen action directly.

Grizzlyjin

dark10x said:
I do not believe that all of the dialog is what the characters are actually saying at that time. The first English MGS2 trailer had a lot of talking as well, and most of it was not related to the on screen action directly.

Yeah, you can tell thats going on here as well. Some of the comments in the trailer almost sound like a story is being told.

"Does that mean Fox is going to die?", "No, this fox is still one step ahead of the hounds"

I don't know, that just sounded like a story being told. :p

I love these Metal Gear Solid trailers, the best part is seeing how wrong I was when the game comes out.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ocelot doesn't really have a russian accent in his old days either, correct? He's got a rugged voice, but none of the typical 'kkomrrad' accent... like Gorlukovich, for example.

Oh, and that was a sharp observation about the headband!

Yeah, I've said the same above, but it's hard to be 100% sure. In any case, MGS2 ddin't have the perfect lip syncing either. Also, the visuals for lyp syncing are done when the voice is recorded, not the other way around. It can easily be that they have yet to roll their animations through the lyp syncing software.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Marconelly said:
Ocelot doesn't really have a russian accent in his old days either, correct? He's got a rugged voice, but none of the typical 'kkomrrad' accent... like Gorlukovich, for example.

Yeah, he doesn't have a THICK Russian accent. I guess better put: he has a distinct voice.

has anyone noticed that snake sometimes has a headband and sometimes he doesnt? hmmmmmmmm................ think about that..... and did anyone notice that snake had lost an eye? i wonder if it will affect gameplay?

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
evil solrac v3.0 said:
has anyone noticed that snake sometimes has a headband and sometimes he doesnt? hmmmmmmmm................ think about that..... and did anyone notice that snake had lost an eye? i wonder if it will affect gameplay?

Yeah, we've just covered the headband issue. He grabs it from "The Boss" when she throws him off the bridge. And then he's shown wearing it during the second, skull facepaint jump.

So, there's two missions in the game. Before and after acquiring the headband. Before and after being betrayed by The Boss.

Top Bottom