• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MMORPG Open Beta (A tale in the desert 2).

Ferrio

Banned
Well if any of you played the first part, A Tale in the Desert is quite different than your normal MMORPG.

The game isn't about levels, it's about a social community and building the world.

Think of if Civilization was MMORPG.

(based on my accounts in the first part)

Basically when you start the game, you have nothing. You start off by finding another player to tutor you on the game (they get bonuses for this if they have picked the leadership path), and they'll teach you the basics of the game.

From there on you're free to do what you want. There's several paths in life you can take and (ARTS, MUSIC ect) and to gain ranks you have to accomplish stuff like making a piece of art and having a # of people vote favorably on it.

Though starting off on your own out in the middle of nowhere will be very difficult. If you want to get anywhere in life you'll have to rely on other people for trade, or join a village and help with the creation of your own town.

The build trees for items are crazy, say for example you have to go around and collect 3 items to make a couple of bricks. Then you need lots of bricks and other materials to say make a small hut. Then once you get into higher tiered things like metalcrafting it becomes quite a task.

Hopefully part 2 will be a bit less grinding, and maybe even so combat to spice things up everyonce and awhile.

So everyone sign up at

http://www.fileplanet.com/betacenter/taleinthedesert/

and download at

http://www.fileplanet.com/download.aspx?f=144163

and I hope to see some of you in the world. GAMING AGE VILLAGE

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm interested, but need to know the system requirements.

Edit:

Ah, nevermind, found it.

Minimum:

Pentium 400 MHz or Equivalent
192 MB Ram
3D Accelerator

Recommended:

Pentium 700+
256 MB Ram or greater
Nvidia Geforce video card

AeroGod

Kiriku said:
I'm interested, but need to know the system requirements.

Low as hell? Its only 63 MB download, WTF kinda MMO is 63 MB download. Ohh well, Ill grab it and check it out. Sounds interesting.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm at

-1251, 5461

for the first 2 hours of play you can teleport anywhere in the world to meet up with friends.

Ferrio

Banned
To teleport to me go to "starting spots" on the menu and do teleport to friend and enter "Ferrio"

They're brought the server down for 15 minutes. SO small rest time.

Kalren

So we're looking for wood as well as finding a place to build?

I've never played this. Can't we make bricks?

Ferrio

Banned
Game is back up. We're now going back to school of architecture and collect lots of wood, straw, slate or wahtever until we can build a planer and other stuff

Flynn

Great game. Teppy is about the coolest game creator I've ever met.

Think anyone employed by SOE would give their cell phone # out to every subscriber?

Ferrio

Banned
We're currently flying along pretty well, got a small temp workshop to get supplies so we can build our first camp

I'll give it a shot.....need a break from CoH

YA know something for all the time I played CoH you would think I'd be at 50 with my main and close with my alt....I should have nnever re-roller*10

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
what the hell, I'll try it too...

DL'ing now...

EDIT : My name is Stug, gonna teleport to Ferrio if he is still on :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'll give it a go too - I was looking for a mmorpg prior to the weekend (I ended up going with EVE, btw), but I'll have a look at this since it seems to gell nicely with what I like.

Fjord

So guys I should teleport to -1251, 5461 or what?

edit: Just going to patch and everything, I'll try it out tomorrow.

Ferrio

Banned
teleport to me when i'm on, or our guild location which is at -1542, 5342

We now have a guild hall, go up to it and request membership. Please tell me your in game name in this thread if you apply.

Ferrio

Banned
Well good progress, but we got a TON more to work on. Next step i'd like to do is start mining and getting charcoal so we can produce metal items.

Here's a site with the forumla for everything and what builds what and what school teaches what

http://atitd.info/lore.php

Also remember to set any tools/buildings you make to guild usable.

Ferrio

Banned
^one thing about that site above.

It's for ATITD 1, so it's a bit inaccurate. Most of the supplies is right, but I don't think small/medium construction sites are used as much. Most of the stuff now i's build via the compound.

Ferrio

Banned
It's pretty much the exact same thing, except the addition of compounds (which cleans up a lot of the world) and a fresh new world.

If you love tradeskills, or civ games it's probably up your alley.

The only combat in the game is the dueling arena which is used for people wanting to go the physical path or whatever.

Basically the game is a blank world, filled with people that don't even know how to make a brick. Then you start learning to build better stuff, make cooler things, make sculptures (a lot like burning man contest) and ect.

Top Bottom